this can happen only before the lottery drawing which leaves us with pick 5+8

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/27/2005  4:36 PM
there you go... here's a creative way to stockpile young guys (and HIGH rated picks) while putting together a veteran roster of some overpaid but pretty solid players that a guy like Phil might be interested in.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
4/27/2005  4:40 PM
Nice trade idea BRIGGS, that is definitely something I would do in a heartbeat and I could see Portland also doing it.

[Edited by - s3231 on 04/27/2005 16:40:55]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
JUNKMEIN
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #797
4/27/2005  4:48 PM
Hmm, that's Greene, PETRO and if we're able to swing a pick for KT maybe even Blatche, Grainger or Akindele. Now this is a nice evenkeeled, well thought out, well rounded, and undramatic trade idea. Me likes. Briggs, put in the call to IT right now.

Plus we get Miles. GUNS....speak up

[Edited by - Junkmein on 04/27/2005 16:53:45]
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/27/2005  4:54 PM
I like this trade. Then pick any of the following Green, Vazquez, Splitter or Taft.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/27/2005  4:59 PM
I like this trade, but without Portland's lotto. There's no way they give up an asset like that just for money. Maybe we can get a future no.1, but not a top five pick.

I would still do the trade without getting Portland's lotto.

I've mentioned Darius Miles and Patterson for Tim Thomas before. It's a deal that makes a lot of sense. Throwing in Penny for Ratliff is fine too. But, again, I don't think there's anyway Portland gives up their lotto pick or passes on Green.
¿ △ ?
tomverve
Member: #878
4/27/2005  5:45 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I like this trade, but without Portland's lotto. There's no way they give up an asset like that just for money. Maybe we can get a future no.1, but not a top five pick.

I don't know; they'd be able to chop off major, major amounts of long term salary obligations and get under the cap immediately, all in one fell swoop, and also get rid of a couple of their biggest headaches in the process. Patterson (problem child) lasts until 07, when he makes $6.8m; Ratliff (injury prone, one-tool player, aging, already on the downslide) goes til 08, at a whopping $11.6m; Miles (cancer) goes all the way to '10, when he makes $9.8m. Portland is still struggling with the kind of money and character issues they vowed to cleanse themselves of a couple of years ago, and a move like this would be a major step forward towards that goal. Plus, presumably they'd be bad enough to just turn around and get another top 5 pick in the 06 draft.

Actually, this proposal is a lot like the Marbury trade. We'd be taking back a collection of terrible contracts, but at least ones belonging to quality players that could immediately step in and contribute, plus the extra lotto pick. Portland gives up substantial assets for the chance to taste sweet, sweet cap freedom for the first time in ages and really accelerate their team's growth.

I'd love it if we could do a trade like this, but I find it ironic that Briggs is the one who proposed it. You want to complain about Rose and Taylor? This package of contracts is infinitely worse. We'd be cementing ourselves in cap hell for the better part of the remainder of the decade. Still, considering the talent we'd get back, plus that luscious lottery choice, I'd do it.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/27/2005  5:50 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I would still do the trade without getting Portland's lotto.

I've mentioned Darius Miles and Patterson for Tim Thomas before. It's a deal that makes a lot of sense. Throwing in Penny for Ratliff is fine too. But, again, I don't think there's anyway Portland gives up their lotto pick or passes on Green.

you dont play kissy kisy games when you are taking on 60mm$ Knicks have been so soft in terms of adhering or even understanding business conditions. No, taking off that salary and giving them 2 number1s for their lottery pick is it. If not, no deal.
RIP Crushalot😞
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/27/2005  7:17 PM
Portland wouldn't touch this.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/27/2005  7:20 PM
though this trade is fair, it is not in isiah's M.O.

so far, he has overpaid in almost every trade. i have no confidence that he can execute a trade like this.

i believe in his drafting ability 100%, but not in trading.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
4/27/2005  8:15 PM
you are a g@%dam genius private gump! if they're looking to dump salary that bad, and get rid of a couple of what they consider headcases, why would'nt they?
green/petro or taft.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/27/2005  8:34 PM
You can use up our $30 mil in expiring contracts to gamble on a player with a draft pick like this type of trade or to go after a more established player that we've seen perform in the NBA. My guess is Isiah does the latter. I'd be fine with either, though, so long as we're getting talented young players.
BRIGGS
4/27/2005  8:41 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by crzymdups:

I don't know; they'd be able to chop off major, major amounts of long term salary obligations and get under the cap immediately, all in one fell swoop, and also get rid of a couple of their biggest headaches in the process. Patterson (problem child) lasts until 07, when he makes $6.8m; Ratliff (injury prone, one-tool player, aging, already on the downslide) goes til 08, at a whopping $11.6m; Miles (cancer) goes all the way to '10, when he makes $9.8m. Portland is still struggling with the kind of money and character issues they vowed to cleanse themselves of a couple of years ago, and a move like this would be a major step forward towards that goal. Plus, presumably they'd be bad enough to just turn around and get another top 5 pick in the 06 draft.

Actually, this proposal is a lot like the Marbury trade. We'd be taking back a collection of terrible contracts, but at least ones belonging to quality players that could immediately step in and contribute, plus the extra lotto pick. Portland gives up substantial assets for the chance to taste sweet, sweet cap freedom for the first time in ages and really accelerate their team's growth.

I'd love it if we could do a trade like this, but I find it ironic that Briggs is the one who proposed it. You want to complain about Rose and Taylor? This package of contracts is infinitely worse. We'd be cementing ourselves in cap hell for the better part of the remainder of the decade. Still, considering the talent we'd get back, plus that luscious lottery choice, I'd do it.

i wouldnt do the trade if I didnt think Darius Miles wasnt going to be a core starter for his contract. I like him a lot, I know there are character issues, but thats the case with 40-50% of the NBA. Ruben Patterson is better than any ball player we traded for this year--including both Malik and JYD. Ratliff--while overpaid, is only two years of contract at slightly more than Taylor. With a full offseason to get healthy, he would be a shot blocker we could use desperatly.

Not to mention the pump in the draft. Picks 5 and 8 should yield Green and I think I would go Taft
RIP Crushalot😞
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/27/2005  9:26 PM
BRIGGS, seriously man, you should try to get a job within the organization. Bring some respectability back to this franchise.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/27/2005  10:00 PM
Has anyone realized that this trade doesn't work?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/27/2005  10:10 PM
BRIGGS, i like that deal ONLY if we get the #5 pick, otherwise no deal...also, i don't get your logic sometimes...you criticize Isiah for making trades to get a star player in his prime in Marbury & adding payroll, & you criticize other posters when they propose deals that add salary, yet you go ahead & propose a deal like this that adds on another $65 million in longterm contracts of players who come w/off the court issues of their own & another making big bucks who's probably alot more of a retread than those who you've shot down in past trade proposals made by myself & others in Ratliff.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/27/2005  10:16 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Has anyone realized that this trade doesn't work?
just a minor detail
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/27/2005  10:18 PM
Posted by TMS:

BRIGGS, i like that deal ONLY if we get the #5 pick, otherwise no deal...also, i don't get your logic sometimes...you criticize Isiah for making trades to get a star player in his prime in Marbury & adding payroll, & you criticize other posters when they propose deals that add salary, yet you go ahead & propose a deal like this that adds on another $65 million in longterm contracts of players who come w/off the court issues of their own & another making big bucks who's probably alot more of a retread than those who you've shot down in past trade proposals made by myself & others in Ratliff.

I was thinking that as well. How is it cool to get a player like Ratliff he has been a health problem his whole career, who makes 11 million, but it isn't cool to get a player like big Z who has been healthy for 3 straight seasons and is a much better player for similar money?

Not to mention that this trade is about 5-6 million dollars off base. It does not work. Portland would have to add a player for this to work and that would probably make the trade not make sense, especially with them giving us their lotto pick.

BRIGGS
4/27/2005  10:27 PM
Im getting darius Miles who is 23 and I think is ready to breakout to all-star level type play, the 5th pick in the draft, 2 years of 29 years old Ruben Patterson and Ratliff who is a shot blocker. yes Im taking on veteran DEFENSIVE players who we need desperatley if the price is right, but im ADDINg pick 5 and Miles. I mean we could have a line up of

C Splitter 7-0 240
PF Taylor 6-9 255
SF Miles 6-9 210
SG Green 6-8 210
PG Marbury 6-2 200
C Kurt Thomas 6-9 225
PF Sweetney 6-8 260
SF Patterson 6-5 225
SG Ariza 6-8 210
PG Crawford 6-5 190

Rose
Ratliff

IR
Butler
JYD
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/27/2005  11:00 PM
like i said BRIGGS, i like the trade if u can get the #5 pick...i was just questioning your logic here since you've criticized people for proposing trades that add on salary in the past...i know i've had deals where Ratliff & Ruben were coming back & you said both those guys were retreads & not even worthy of consideration.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
what do you guys think about this?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy