[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Marbury even a top 10 guard?
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
4/27/2005  12:13 PM
You could make the case that ever player listed below is a better player than Stephon

Wade
Vince
Kidd
Pierce
Kobe
Iverson
Lebron
Allen
Nash
T-Mac
Arenas

I seem to remember Isiah saying when you have the opportunity to go out and get a top 10 player you do it? Which seems to be pretty interesting because Marbury might not even be one of the 20 best players in the league. He may even be in the 24-28 range
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/27/2005  12:19 PM
Here we go again with the Marburry bashing...
The true Knickabocker..........
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/27/2005  12:22 PM
You realize each guy you mentioned is in the playoffs(minus Kobe and LBJ and they are in a class by themselves), and is on a team that is unarguably better than the team that surrounds Stephon?
~You can't run from who you are.~
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/27/2005  12:23 PM
Posted by Masterplan:

none of those guys can match steph's ability to carry a team deep into the playoffs.

SARCASM ALERT!!!!!!!!!!
~You can't run from who you are.~
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/27/2005  12:26 PM
so what? The only guy on that list who has proven he can carry a team is Iverson.

Get a real player in the frontcourt... even if its just numbers type guy like Wash did with Jamison. I dont want him but Walker would instantly elevate Marbury's status. He needs some kind of frontcourt player that makes it easier on everyone up front. Someone like Jamison, Harrington, Walker, SAR... the problem is all these guys are temporary fixes. Add anyone and I would say the Knicks are at least .500 and a playoff team, but its short term and not worth passing on picks and a chance to actually build a REAL team.

Whether Marbs is a part of that remains to be seen, but he's as good as most of the guys on that list.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/27/2005  12:27 PM
what is you criteria?
Of pg's he is top 5 on most lists, top 3 on some.
As far as top 25 players, it all depends on your criteria, if winning is calculated into it, he will fall, but so will many others, like Brand, and Lebron to name two off the top.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/27/2005  12:28 PM
Also left off this list, ar Francis, Baron davis, Bibby, Jason richardson, Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Larry Hughes, and tony parker.. this also is a impressive list and 3 of the guys on this list are champions, and one is the finals MVP..

I think steph is as good as nash and arenas for sure, but this is another argument for another day...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/27/2005  12:31 PM
Posted by fishmike:

so what? The only guy on that list who has proven he can carry a team is Iverson.

Get a real player in the frontcourt... even if its just numbers type guy like Wash did with Jamison. I dont want him but Walker would instantly elevate Marbury's status. He needs some kind of frontcourt player that makes it easier on everyone up front. Someone like Jamison, Harrington, Walker, SAR... the problem is all these guys are temporary fixes. Add anyone and I would say the Knicks are at least .500 and a playoff team, but its short term and not worth passing on picks and a chance to actually build a REAL team.

Whether Marbs is a part of that remains to be seen, but he's as good as most of the guys on that list.
SAR is a temporary fix that wont cost us a pick and will allow us to establish a style of play, become a better team, while our draft picks develop. We can be a good team and develop at the same time. By the time those picks mature SAR will still be good and we should have a deep team.
diderotn
USA
4/27/2005  12:34 PM
Fans! the bashing of Marburry will always be, just like some still criticize KG. Until those two win a championship, they will always be criticized. Marb didn't help his cause by declaring himself as the best PG in the game. He needs to learn a little PR skills before steping infront of a microphone, because often when he opens his mouth, something crazy is reported. He needs to learn to give more credit to his team-mates, and after that they will go to battle for him. Once Marb realizes that praising his team-mates is part of being a leader, he will ok. From this point on, he needs to say that he is as good as his team-mates make him. As a PG, his job is to set his players up for good shots, but it is not his fault if they don't convert.
diderotn
USA
4/27/2005  12:37 PM
SAR????? Are you crazy??? when are you ever going to surround Marburry with winners???? We need guys that are from a winning system like Malik Rose. Forget about SAR. He has never been to a freaking playoffs, and that to me is a shame.
SAR is a temporary fix that wont cost us a pick and will allow us to establish a style of play, become a better team, while our draft picks develop. We can be a good team and develop at the same time. By the time those picks mature SAR will still be good and we should have a deep team.
[/quote]
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
4/27/2005  12:43 PM
Nope, Stephon Marbury is not a top 10 guard. Currently, he's the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of PG's - a career loser who puts up stats.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/27/2005  12:46 PM
Since Kobe is the only one on that list that won a ring, I question your list. Don't see how you put Arenas ahead of Marbury but it is your list. And Vince, I guess you get credit for playing half seasons now, what are we prorating stats now. Doesn't Pierce play SF. I thought Tony Allen plays 2 guard.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
diderotn
USA
4/27/2005  12:50 PM
Dude! you know that Marb has been to the playoffs a few times with a couple of different teams? how many times has SAR been to the playoffs? before making such remark, check your facts. As for Kobe, if he was that good, he would have taken the Lakers to the playoffs this season. Have you seen his roster? Lamar Odoms and Butler are two great talents. In fact the Lakers were much more talented than our crazy Knicks, and they had a much better coach than we did.

Posted by BigAppleStar3:

Nope, Stephon Marbury is not a top 10 guard. Currently, he's the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of PG's - a career loser who puts up stats.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/27/2005  12:59 PM
Posted by MS:

You could make the case that ever player listed below is a better player than Stephon

Wade
Vince
Kidd
Pierce
Kobe
Iverson
Lebron
Allen
Nash
T-Mac
Arenas

I seem to remember Isiah saying when you have the opportunity to go out and get a top 10 player you do it? Which seems to be pretty interesting because Marbury might not even be one of the 20 best players in the league. He may even be in the 24-28 range

Vince, T-mac, Kobe, lebron, Pierce are all 6-7 wing player. Could be SG, could be SF type hybrid.

The rest are shorter, more "guard"oriented. Marbs has the assist stat in his favor, dispite being more of a shooting guard.

Marbs is top 5 guard in NBA. Depends on what you want after that.

Marbs is over baron and Francis. If you want scoring thats one thing, pure assist guy, thats another.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/27/2005  1:02 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by MS:

Wade
Vince
Kidd
Pierce
Kobe
Iverson
Lebron
Allen
Nash
T-Mac
Arenas

Vince, T-mac, Kobe, lebron, Pierce are all 6-7 wing player. Could be SG, could be SF type hybrid.

The rest are shorter, more "guard"oriented. Marbs has the assist stat in his favor, dispite being more of a shooting guard.

Marbs is top 5 guard in NBA. Depends on what you want after that.

Marbs is over baron and Francis. If you want scoring thats one thing, pure assist guy, thats another.

I agree nalod...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
4/27/2005  1:02 PM
Posted by MS:

Wade
Vince
Kidd
Pierce
Kobe
Iverson
Lebron
Allen
Nash
T-Mac
Arenas

You can't compare a PG to a SG. And talkig about PG's, Marbury is better than all the players of that list, except Kidd and maybe (not in my opinion) Nash.

[Edited by - DarkKnicks on 04/27/2005 13:04:05]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/27/2005  1:11 PM
Marbury is no loser and is a complete offensive player who does everything he can to win. Marbury is NOT the guy to be knocked. He's an idiot and a half but he's still shouldn't be taking the majority of the blame for the Knicks woes. Like people said, he just needs the right cast around him that compliments his skills. The best guy he has working with him is KT, but KT is getting older and older and slower and slower by the minute. Although he seems to do real well in that transition game, he doesn't favor it for some odd reason. So if we wanna keep Marbury, then we are best off going for a half court offense and perhaps trading Jamal. But if IT really wants to do that run and gun style, he may wanna consider trading Marbury (B/c I am not in favor of putting him at SG) and making Jamal the fulltime PG.

My ideas of trading him are not about bashing him or giving up on him, just like my ideas of trading KT are not b/c I dislike the guy, b/c he's my second fav player on the team.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/27/2005  1:15 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:
Posted by MS:

Wade
Vince
Kidd
Pierce
Kobe
Iverson
Lebron
Allen
Nash
T-Mac
Arenas

You can't compare a PG to a SG. And talkig about PG's, Marbury is better than all the players of that list, except Kidd and maybe (not in my opinion) Nash.

[Edited by - DarkKnicks on 04/27/2005 13:04:05]

Arenas isn't quite in Marbury's league yet. Maybe in a couple of years, but not yet. Iverson is better though. Nonetheless, Marbury is a top 3 PG.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
MS
Member: #724
4/27/2005  1:37 PM
I am sorry did you just say Marbury is better than D-Wade, not even close, D-Wade is a better defender, rebounder, scorer, and is much more clutch

Marbury is not even close to distinguishing himself as a player when the game is on the line, he was responsible for a number of loser due to bad decision making, and missed free throws....

If we are doing PG's Wade, Kidd, Iverson all play the position and all are better, Nash gets his team involved and raises the shooting %

Marbury doesn't bring it every night, he brings it offensively every night and didn't make a commitment to defense, if he is the leader he needs to call people out and let them know he and the team will not except Crawford, TT, himself included not boxin out, not hustling to get back into the play, being careless with the ball, it starts from the top
nykbasketball
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #862
USA
4/27/2005  1:46 PM
who does marbury have to pass too??

Crawford, every time u give him the ball he will chuck up a 3
What's Defense?
Is Marbury even a top 10 guard?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy