[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How about this trade for Marbury
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/26/2005  9:14 AM
If we trade the man, when will we ever build some cohesiveness? Marburry is the face of this franchise, and until we can find a player that can come in to replace what he can offer and better, forget about trading him. It would be really dumb for the Knicks to trade Marburry right now....This is N.Y, we need a big name player around to attract the crowd. Can't you see, eventhough we were a horrible squad, but the fans still came out to support. That is what the name Marburry can do. Like Vince, Kobe, KG, Shaq, Tmack, Yao, Amare, etc, Marb is a heavyweight....Surround him with talents, because that is the easiest task, and see how far we can go with him....If Kurt is gone the Knicks will upgrade immediately.

Posted by nykdunk:

Who says he failed? Minus the defensive and clutch-time failures, he had a very good season. He was almost always our best player on the court.

That said, if you can improve the team's situation by trading him, you have to do it. Isiah just should not pass on an opportunity to improve the situation, given how dire it is. But he will. I have no doubt that Marbury is not going anywhere though. He's Isiah's boy and an untouchable.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/26/2005  9:45 AM
other than Marbury, there aren't that many desirable players on this roster right now...the reason why people are talking about trading him is because it's probably the best way to get good talent back in return...otherwise, you're going to have to accept the fact that he's going to be surrounded by mediocre role player talent for the next couple years, & if you get lucky, you find a diamond in the rough via the draft...the only other option is to go after more bloated veteran contracts like CWebb or Michael Finley using our expiring deals, which isn't a popular plan around these parts...be realistic & see things for what they are...it's easy to say "surround Marbury w/good talent", but you also have to consider what we have to offer other teams to GET that talent to surround him with.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/26/2005  9:55 AM
TMS, I simpathize with the way you feel, but I object trading Marburry to upgrade our roster. Crawfford, Sweetney, Kurt, Malik, and even JYD can all be traded to give us a much better roster. Let's not forget the expiring contracts (TT and Penny). Atlanta, the Kings, LA, Houston, Denver, Cleveland, and other teams around the league can all supply us some very serviceable players. We don't need star players, we just need to have guys with a defensive mentality and guys that can block shots in our starting lineup.... We can get the scoring from Marb, Crawff, and others..

Posted by TMS:

other than Marbury, there aren't that many desirable players on this roster right now...the reason why people are talking about trading him is because it's probably the best way to get good talent back in return...otherwise, you're going to have to accept the fact that he's going to be surrounded by mediocre role player talent for the next couple years, & if you get lucky, you find a diamond in the rough via the draft...the only other option is to go after more bloated veteran contracts like CWebb or Michael Finley using our expiring deals, which isn't a popular plan around these parts...be realistic & see things for what they are...it's easy to say "surround Marbury w/good talent", but you also have to consider what we have to offer other teams to GET that talent to surround him with.
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/26/2005  1:52 PM
Posted by diderotn:

TMS, I simpathize with the way you feel, but I object trading Marburry to upgrade our roster. Crawfford, Sweetney, Kurt, Malik, and even JYD can all be traded to give us a much better roster. Let's not forget the expiring contracts (TT and Penny).
Posted by TMS:

couldn't have said it better myself. (Let's not forget all the 1st rd draft picks too, BTW)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/26/2005 13:53:14]
TMS
USA
4/26/2005  2:41 PM
hey, if Isiah can somehow put a good roster together around Marbury, i'd love to see it...imho, it would be alot easier for the team to improve their future outlook by trading him though.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
4/26/2005  8:50 PM
Posted by TMS:

hey, if Isiah can somehow put a good roster together around Marbury, i'd love to see it...imho, it would be alot easier for the team to improve their future outlook by trading him though.
You don't buy high and sell low. That's what the Raptors did with Carter. And after missing the playoffs, Marbury's trade value has dipped a bit. Even if I agreed with your statement (which I don't), this offseason would still be a bad time to trade Marbury.
TMS
USA
4/26/2005  11:05 PM
please, don't equate Carter's case w/Marbury...Carter was tanking & he was doing everythign he could to be traded from TOR...Marbury just had 1 of his best statistical years as a pro...that's ridiculous to even use that example.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/26/2005  11:06 PM
Marbury is a very good player, playing with all backups and underdeveloped young players. He isn't getting a fair opportunity here it would be wise for him to ask for a trade and maybe join a team that has an established superstar so Marbury isn't seen as a leader. Similar to VC case I think Marbury isn't a leader as is VC and players like that need to be lead for them to be winners. I think Joining Dirk, Finley would do wonders for Marbury and remove the loser stigma that is dogging him. Lets face it people all Isiah has done is trade Layden back ups for basically Isiah's back ups. As long as Marbury is playing with backups very unlikely that we see playoffs anyways. What the Knicks need to do is get with the program and stock as many young talented player as possible and hope that in the group is the next great Knick. I for one would trade Marbury as he isn't the leader that some fans think he is. It is fairly obvious also that he doesn't meet Phil Jackson's standards also this was stated by Phil's friend Charlie Rosen. Best to part with Marbury if it is a choice between Phil and Marbury then I have to go with the man who has the rings.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/27/2005  12:02 AM
trade starbury?....... stop being silly.

before even thinking about starbury trade

think about all the dumb duplication zeke has traded for

think tim thomas

think getting a 5 spot first

think trying to match starbury's game first less scrubs

if zeke had someone like j-rich.........

in such a short time you dont trade one of ny's finest just like that without going the distance

please.........keep it real

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bonn1997
USA
4/27/2005  2:50 AM
Posted by TMS:

please, don't equate Carter's case w/Marbury...Carter was tanking & he was doing everythign he could to be traded from TOR...Marbury just had 1 of his best statistical years as a pro...that's ridiculous to even use that example.
You entirely missed the point. The only point was that Marbury's trade value is low and now is a poor time to try to trade him. (Believe it or not, most GMs don't make decisions solely based on stats.) If you can't understand the Vince example, then let's use Baron Davis. The Hornets traded him when his value was very low and got way too little in return for him. The same concept of getting to little in return due to poor timing will probably apply to us with Marbury if we trade him this offseason (but to a lesser degree because we'd still get more for him than NO did for Baron).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/27/2005 02:54:33]
TMS
USA
4/27/2005  9:46 AM
another ridiculous example...Baron's injuries & demonstrated unhappiness in New Orleans was a big reason why he was traded for lower value...Marbury has not been a malcontent, he's been durable, & he's coming off a great statistical season...he still holds good value.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/27/2005  10:44 AM
I don't think you can win a championship building around any stumpy 6-3 guard! Iverson was a freak to be MVP a few years back!

Marbs would be a most excellent side kick. I do think he would have succeded with KG, with KVH and Kenyon, and In PHX with Amare.

Isiah must figure a way to get some better talent here, or use Steph as a bargaining tool to get one and pair him with Craw.

Marbs is a top ten guard no doubt, and he did a great job here, but build around him, not my first preference.

MS
Member: #724
4/27/2005  11:09 AM
God forbid we lose the face of the franchise that can't even win a playoff game, or get us to 33 wins....you get rid of a player earning 15-18 million if your not going anywhere especially if he can get you some nice building blocks, and you start over and work through the draft and create the cap space to make a run at a player
like Lebron, Wade, Melo.......

If you have a nice core that is young with cap space you have something.....Let Crawford learn how to run the point and then move him if he shows strides, play sweetney extended minutes, develop Ariza and these four ****ing picks that everyone has an orgasm over...

NY will be patient if their is a plan in place....

If Houston is healthy and we add a nice player with the mid-level then we contend in the east, but thats not happening
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/27/2005  11:23 AM
I hate hearing "why would phil go to Knicks when it will take 3-4 years to dig out of the mess we are in".

I have learned that the haters are more objective than fans are.

A book chronicling the last 10 years of Knicks/Rangers/Cablevison blunders would be good reading. Can't change the fact that it all happened, but I'd like to know more about it. We learn from our mistakes, perhaps they can too!
Bonn1997
USA
4/27/2005  2:48 PM
Posted by TMS:

another ridiculous example...Baron's injuries & demonstrated unhappiness in New Orleans was a big reason why he was traded for lower value
I already agreed with and acknowledged that he was a more severe example of the same concept of trading a player at the wrong time. Think of how much higher Marbury's trade value would be when he was NBA player of the month (or was it player of the week 2 times in one month?) and the Knicks were 16-13 or when the Knicks went 25-22 under him last year and he carried the team into the playoffs after a 10-18 start. If you are going to trade him, wait 'til he has another NBA Player of the month type of stretch.
TMS
USA
4/27/2005  3:04 PM
like i said, if you can use other assets to put a good roster around Marbury, knock yourself out...i just think it may be more realistic to think this team would have a faster turnaround if Marbury was the one being traded because he has the most trade value of any player on this pitiful roster.
How about this trade for Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy