[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/26/2005  9:57 AM
Posted by diderotn:

That, I agree with my friend. Phil to N.Y will never happen. At least not with Isiah at the helm.

[Your right, Dido-land is a much nicer place. No need to be accountable, and if you throw out 100 posts daily, some of it sticks.

In Dido-land, all is Spree, and your money here for nothing and the chicks are free......!

Jax to NY, its along shot, but lets put it this way, I'd put my hopes on that than backing Herb for months, then changing my mind on some unproven names of the past hoping they can in a suit superinpose the past. In fact, I'd lay odds they go with Herb again if he can't get phil to buy him time until he gets his roster in better shape.

There is a chance PHil sits another year, or We go with Herb, with Patrick on the sideline, then if Herb sucks, he can hand it to Pat.

But the reality is, Herb will be lame duck even with a 3 year deal.

Your wrong on your reasoning. PHil and Isiah are on alot of the same pages. If Phil can accelerate progress, and can allow them to spend and not rebuild from the ground up, it makes all more money, and no need to blow it up! Isiah can leave sooner with his rep in tact. He can't blow out of town until he does some good!

Phil and Isiah are a lot more compatable then many people think. Also, Isiah has more humility given the last season, and he can be given credit for bring him one of NY's favorite sons! That is a big IF.
AUTOADVERT
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
4/26/2005  10:03 AM

Right now I'm thinking it is unlikely that Phil and IT can co-exist. That's a lot of ego for one team - especially when both have leverage. I don't see IT being willing to give up control and I don't see Phil coming without obtaining a lot of control.

If the Dolans decided Phil was the guy then I guess they could squeeze IT out.

I don't think it is impossible for Phil to be our next coach - but unlikely.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/26/2005  11:27 AM
How about Mo Cheek?????
The true Knickabocker..........
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/26/2005  11:28 AM
Anthony Mason is the clear choice.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/26/2005  12:08 PM
Posted by eViL:

awesome! he's an ex player, an ex knick & a tough guy...he's obviously qualified...if not Mason, how about Tim Legler or Steve Kerr? i mean those guys are game analysts on TV...they obviously have the qualifications to run an NBA franchise.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/26/2005  12:21 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by eViL:

awesome! he's an ex player, an ex knick & a tough guy...he's obviously qualified...if not Mason, how about Tim Legler or Steve Kerr? i mean those guys are game analysts on TV...they obviously have the qualifications to run an NBA franchise.

seriously that pisses me off. Lets give coaching jobs to every TV analyst. While we're at it lets make Steven A.Smith our head coach
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/26/2005  12:25 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by eViL:

seriously that pisses me off. Lets give coaching jobs to every TV analyst. While we're at it lets make Steven A.Smith our head coach

Better yet, Chad Ford.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/26/2005  12:42 PM
out of all those guy Mark Jackson is the only one who has the leadership skills and professionalism and tough mentality to be an NBA head coach. The other guys are all talk and don't have the professional swagger to coach
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
4/26/2005  12:48 PM
I know that commentator thread started as a joke...but someday it might be cool to have MJax as a coach, with PE as an assist...kinda completing some historical circle or something...

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
4/26/2005  1:47 PM
I think it's Phil Jackson or bust.

I'm sick of settling for 2nd tier talent. Be it a player or now the Head Coach. Can we for once get someone elite? Someone that's considered 'Franchise' material? I'd only be happy with Dr. Phil or Larry Brown. I don't care if Jackson costs $20M/yr., if you have a chance to get him you do it no matter what. Coaches like Jackson don't come every year.

Brining back Herb Williams is the worst thing we can do. What did he show this season? I've never seen a Knicks team completely quit in some games. And don't tell me we were tanking because we weren't. Herb kept playing the veterans and kept losing. Say what you want about Lenny Wilkens or Don Chaney but their teams never played as bad as Herb's Knicks. The team was undisiciplined and was unwatchable. I don't believe Herb is a Training Camp away from being a good coach or having respect. He's simply not a good basketball mind.

Now if Isiah Thomas' plan to to REALLY rebuild until Allan Houston's contract expires, keeping a scrub coach like Herb doesn't hurt. But brining in overpaid vets like Malik Rose and Mo' Taylor doesn't signal rebuilding. Zeke wants to win now and he doesn't have a chance without an elite coach.
Nalod
USA
4/26/2005  3:31 PM
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

I think it's Phil Jackson or bust.

I'm sick of settling for 2nd tier talent. Be it a player or now the Head Coach. Can we for once get someone elite? Someone that's considered 'Franchise' material? I'd only be happy with Dr. Phil or Larry Brown. I don't care if Jackson costs $20M/yr., if you have a chance to get him you do it no matter what. Coaches like Jackson don't come every year.

Brining back Herb Williams is the worst thing we can do. What did he show this season? I've never seen a Knicks team completely quit in some games. And don't tell me we were tanking because we weren't. Herb kept playing the veterans and kept losing. Say what you want about Lenny Wilkens or Don Chaney but their teams never played as bad as Herb's Knicks. The team was undisiciplined and was unwatchable. I don't believe Herb is a Training Camp away from being a good coach or having respect. He's simply not a good basketball mind.

Now if Isiah Thomas' plan to to REALLY rebuild until Allan Houston's contract expires, keeping a scrub coach like Herb doesn't hurt. But brining in overpaid vets like Malik Rose and Mo' Taylor doesn't signal rebuilding. Zeke wants to win now and he doesn't have a chance without an elite coach.

Im with you on your points! Saying Stumpy is 'touchable is reaching out and telling PHil its all yours any way you like it!
PENNS45
Member: #754
4/26/2005  11:38 PM
My first choice is Flip Saunders. He is familiar with Marbury because he coached him in Minnesota. I know that the Wolves struggled this season, but before that he led them to the playoffs every season. He has had a lot of success as a head coach.
BigAppleStar3
USA
4/27/2005  8:35 AM
Posted by PENNS45:

My first choice is Flip Saunders. He is familiar with Marbury because he coached him in Minnesota. I know that the Wolves struggled this season, but before that he led them to the playoffs every season. He has had a lot of success as a head coach.

That's the biggest reason why I do NOT want Flip Saunders. We don't need a 'players coach' with Stephon Marbury. He's already proven to be lazy and arrogant in the locker room. We need a coach who has no relationship with Marbs and who will mame him earn respect.
diderotn
USA
4/27/2005  8:35 AM
Why not please Marburry by hiring whomever he wants as coach??? After all, he has proven that he will play hard for whoever is his coach this season. Our ultimate goal should be to hire a coach that will march us to the big dance, and Marburry plays a big role by being the extension of the coach on the court. Having Saunders as his head coach would definitely facilitate a much better understanding and message transmitting to his team-mates. Besides, KG is mad in love with Saunders, and as our head coach, N.Y. might become a much more attractive spot for KG when he becomes available...
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
4/27/2005  8:42 AM
P J Carlesimo
BigAppleStar3
USA
4/27/2005  8:42 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Why not please Marburry by hiring whomever he wants as coach??? After all, he has proven that he will play hard for whoever is his coach this season. Our ultimate goal should be to hire a coach that will march us to the big dance, and Marburry plays a big role by being the extension of the coach on the court. Having Saunders as his head coach would definitely facilitate a much better understanding and message transmitting to his team-mates. Besides, KG is mad in love with Saunders, and as our head coach, N.Y. might become a much more attractive spot for KG when he becomes available...

Plays hard? Getting torched by Tyronn Lue, Dan Dickau, Marcus Banks and Milt Palacio is playing hard? Refusing to take the last shot in close games is playing hard? Stephon Marbury should not get Star treatment in terms of hiring coaches. I don't know, I just believe after proving that Marbs is a career loser, he needs a strict disciplined coach who will show a lot of tough love and push his buttons. I think Marbury is the type of player who will play better if he's angry.
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
4/27/2005  8:48 AM
P J Carlesmo
Nalod
USA
4/27/2005  8:50 AM
I am amazed that ESPN Stephan A. and Bucher is saying that Larry Brown is the top choice by the Lakes and Knicks! PHil is second!

Larry is under contract, and will likely go deep in playoffs. We need a big time coach to help with draft NOW!

I do think that Larry can be let go as PHilly let him out of his last year, and Detroit should do the same.

Isiah has hired 4 coaches now, 3 in toronto, 2 in NY. He has hired Lenny twice. All of them never challanged the front office for players.

Its time Isiah hire someone to coach his team and let the Coach and his system dictate the players.

The clandestine Isiah-Phil meetings is real exciting! Better than a KNick game these days!
diderotn
USA
4/27/2005  9:28 AM
Phil will not come to N.Y. mainly because his soon to be father in law will probably offer him some part ownership as a compensation for humilitating him over Kobe Bryant. Dr Buss will do whatever is in his power to attract Phil back to LA. Forget about it folks, concentrate on another coach.. From Magic Johnson said last night, the chances at acquiring Phil back is very big...
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/27/2005  10:35 AM
Something tells me not to rule out Phil Jackson as the next Knicks coach quite yet...
¿ △ ?
Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy