[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?
Author Thread
WOODMANnYk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #529
USA
4/24/2005  9:48 AM
Posted by diderotn:

When you are a freaking GM, you have to hire a coach that has the same background or philosophy as you. Bill and Isiah were team-mates, and those two really symbolized what a bad boy truly was. He has done an excellent job coaching the WNBA, and one thing is for sure, he is vocal and has enough balls to get in our defenseless stars faces. New York is not a soft city; therefore having a mild mannered or soft spoken individual coaching our team is not what we need. Herb is a good guy, but we need an AHole to deal with our community, media, fans, players, etc.
Lambeer is a disciple of that old Detroit coach (Chuck Daily), and for sure we would have definitely found an identity. We need blue colored workers, players, etc. Isiah is a B.C. GM, we need a coach that believes in what the GM believes in. Lambeer fits that profile...
He's a true Piston.. we don't need him here.. I'm not too fond of Isiah being the g.m and pres as well. He's also a true piston who battled the Knicks through some ugly matchups..

We need someone who has a connection with the Knicks.. Ex. Phil JAckson( probably won't come here)

At least LArry Brown is from NY which would be more than enough to have him coach here.. If not, then HErb is the guy.. A true Knick!!!! give the job to him..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/24/2005  11:04 AM
He's a true Piston.. we don't need him here.. I'm not too fond of Isiah being the g.m and pres as well. He's also a true piston who battled the Knicks through some ugly matchups..

i kinda agree, the greatest city in the world does not need a detroit transplant.

not in NY he doesn't...let him prove himself in Atlanta if he wants, or as an assistant in DET...we need PROVEN, ELITE level coaching if we ever want to see a noticeable difference in the way these guys are playing...otherwise, mine as well stick w/Herb because the team is going to be mediocre junk regardless.

at this point in time, to get rid of herb would not be a good move on zeke's part. with herb in place you have some coaching stability in that players don't have to worry about replacement and can start to focus on winning. i hope herb stays to develop and execute whatever plan he has for winning.... yes, give herb another season
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/24/2005  1:02 PM
Would hiring Flip be a good decision, since we already have Marbury? His schemes supposedly are made for scoring point guards, taking the best out of our best player. What are the pros and cons of hiring him?
Knicks_Fan
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
4/24/2005  2:12 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:

Would hiring Flip be a good decision, since we already have Marbury? His schemes supposedly are made for scoring point guards, taking the best out of our best player. What are the pros and cons of hiring him?
We don't want to hire flip because of his relationship with Marbury. This team is more than just Marbury.. What would he do with the other players on the team??? Flip hasn't won anything and got by the 1st round only once in his coaching career.

If the Knicks can't get the two best coaches in the NBA, (Phil J or LArry Brown then they should give the coaching reigns over to Herb Williams.. A true Knick!!!
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2005  4:15 PM
[quote]
Posted by diderotn:

Wait until he is hired by a team that will come to N.Y. and pretty much man-handled our team, than you will all say, maybe we should have hired him. Look at Detroit, who is their GM? Oh here is a much fresher incident, look at Vince in Jersey:::)))) Lambeer is a blue color type of coach, he has proved that he can coach, just like Frank in Jersey who didn't even play in the NBA, Van Gundy, and plenty of other coaches in the league that I will not even mention, Lambeer more than deserve a chance if he wants it....
[quote][

Lambier was an anouncer who got luck and good gig with the WNBA. What does he deserve?

Is the "tidy bowl" ,man now? what the Phuch does being the "color Blue" have to do with anyting? Color Purple! Thats cool, give it to "Miss Sophie and pass them peas" if you want somthing done fool!

Oh, Blue Colar! He was a dirty hard working player, what the phuch does that have to do with his coaching abilty? Give him a chance cuz he manned the both and did a year in the WNBA? Van gundy was an asstistant for years, Frank, also, and he is a wiz kid!

YOu logic points to one candidate, thats HERB! And the Stumpy point we got don't like him!
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/24/2005  7:16 PM
no one's mentioned mo cheeks- personally, I wouldn't take him over herb, but I thought he had done well in portland given the roster.

hard nosed defensive minded pg might be able to help marb

there is no reason marbury should not be a top defender.

he has strength, he has athleticism- its a matter of heart and some skills/technique.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/24/2005  9:46 PM
Dude! all I have to say is that the man deserves a freaking chance to prove that he can't do the job. Herb was given a chance, but he failed. Herb has been with this administration for quite a while, and he too had a training camp with this squad. We need a hard nose coach like Scott Skyle or Eddie Jordan, from the young crop, to drive this team. Herb should be our last resort, but his association with both Houston and Kurt Thomas in my opinion should disquailfy him.

Posted by Nalod:

[quote]
[bOh, Blue Colar! He was a dirty hard working player, what the phuch does that have to do with his coaching abilty? Give him a chance cuz he manned the both and did a year in the WNBA? Van gundy was an asstistant for years, Frank, also, and he is a wiz kid!

YOu logic points to one candidate, thats HERB! And the Stumpy point we got don't like him!
The true Knickabocker..........
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/24/2005  10:15 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Dude! all I have to say is that the man deserves a freaking chance to prove that he can't do the job. Herb was given a chance, but he failed. Herb has been with this administration for quite a while, and he too had a training camp with this squad. We need a hard nose coach like Scott Skyle or Eddie Jordan, from the young crop, to drive this team. Herb should be our last resort, but his association with both Houston and Kurt Thomas in my opinion should disquailfy him.

[quote]Posted by Nalod:
[bOh, Blue Colar! He was a dirty hard working player, what the phuch does that have to do with his coaching abilty? Give him a chance cuz he manned the both and did a year in the WNBA? Van gundy was an asstistant for years, Frank, also, and he is a wiz kid!

I suppose you would say that Nate McMillan(a 37 win season 03/04) is a failure too as well as Mike D'Antoni(a 29 win season 03/04)
OldFan
Member: #446
4/25/2005  9:05 AM
Posted by fishmike:
You have a thread for everything. Attempt to consoldiate.
classic.

I'm not of the thinking that our next coach should be defensive minded. We dont have defensive minded players, we have scorers. Lets figure what kind of players we want to build around and hire a coach accordingly. If we want to be fast and explosive go that way. If we want to be tough and build around D go that way. None of this little of everything crap. It doesnt work. You play to your opponent every night.

So what if our defensive isnt good. If you are attacking the rim with gifted scorers and your attacking the glass with tough rebounders you can have a bigtime time. Say we get Toronto's #16 pick (they have 2) for the #30 and next year's Spurs pick and cash, and we draft Petro and Warrick. Thats commiting us to an uptempo style of play with scrappy players. You get coach comfortable with an uptempo game. Who would like to see a team built around this rotation?
Marbury
Ariza
Warrick
JYD
Petro
with Crawford, Rose, Sweetney and a guard (Charlie Bell) coming off the bench.

FOR ONCE make a team match up with us. Run teams out of the court. Give teams nightmares with long athletic players.

Have a plan.

Well - name one team that has won with a "So what if our defense isn't good philosophy" and I may even read the rest of your post. Only good defensive teams win titles.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/25/2005  2:41 PM
I have to agree with Old Fan. Defense is very important. Defense can lead to offense forcing turnovers and starting fast breaks for easy buckets. Offense doesn't do diddly for defense. Which is why Phoenix will have a rough road even in the 1st round. Memphis was with them all game until turnovers late in the 4th.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/25/2005  5:48 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Yep. I been saying this before, Herb has been a coach on this team for like 6 seasons. I could accept Lenny not having a training camp as a legit reason last season but not Herb. As an assistant that is who really runs the sessions.

[Edited by - pharzeone on 04/25/2005 17:49:32]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
4/25/2005  7:48 PM
Get Out of Jail Card

Isiah is unable to land Uncle Phil, isn't it curious that few of the coaching B-listers include Mark Aguirre ?

While the press makes certain to advocate its standard choices for head coach, the fans follow like lemmings to the sea.

Its really quite obvious. Isiah has rarely made the expected move. He puts HIS man in charge after a year behind the bench and continues to reshape the tenor of the franchise.

Personally, I think Mark A would lead the league in technical fouls for head coaches (that isn't necessarily a bad thing)

... and satisy the supierficial fan cravings for a coach who makes good theatre.

Then Again

The more I think about it, Mark Jackson DOES exude a tangible Napoleonic quality

He's old school enough to embrace the best Knicks traditions and new School enough to relate and enforce the law among younger players.

Mark Jackson would also let the referees hear it every now and then

He'd know how to navigate The Garden from years of experience.

He would NOT back down from the fickle , frontrunning press

He'd maintain a flair for the creative and push his players to work hard

By year three Mark Jackson will be a great coach.

Than again, by year three, he'd have some great players.
once a knick always a knick
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
4/25/2005  8:31 PM
Posted by misterearl:

The more I think about it, Mark Jackson DOES exude a tangible Napoleonic quality
I guess I will do the same here. What do you think about Greg Anthony? If we are going with a new coach & not keeping herb, y not greg?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/25/2005  9:55 PM
I don'y know how good Greg is why the X's and O's but I know Mark Jackson would make a great coach. There's always Nate McMillan too. look at the job he did in Seattle. His contract is up so we can sign him without giving anything up. Then there's Flip Saunders who Marbury likes. Honestly I think all these guys are better candidates than Herb. Herb just simply is not ready as head coach
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
4/25/2005  10:32 PM
I know Mark Jackson would make a great coach.

Gunsnewing forget Nate McMillan. He had the player the Knicks should have held out for when Patrick was kicked to the curb - Rashard Lewis

Forget Flip Saunders. I could care less about who ONE player "likes", whatever that means. Do players "like" Bill Parcells?

Herb just simply is not ready as head coach

Neither was Jeff Van Gundy untiul he inherited Pat Riley and Ernie Grunfeld's team.

Gimme a break
once a knick always a knick
diderotn
USA
4/26/2005  6:41 AM
Hey! as I have said in many occasions, Phil will not come to N.Y. He has the perfect opportunity in LA to do great things. Believe it or not, Kobe will not even be consulted when it comes to hire Phil. As far as I am concerned, Isiah needs to get on the ball as soon as possible. Yes we have Herb for now, but he should be the last resort. As for my choice, Isiah made a mistake by not hiring Mark Agwire when he had the chance. My choices at this point are: Silas, Agwire, Lambeer, Flip, Herb, Isiah....

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/knicks.htm
Nalod
USA
4/26/2005  8:53 AM
Phil gotta at least listen to the booty call the lakers will offer.

I love phil, but that book he wrote was sheet. His first books were much better.

NOw if he goes back with Kobe, then I will be disappointed in him for writing the thing in the first place, and for not coming to NY.

It would speak positive for Kobe to rectify his immature behavior and he would have to applogize perfusely. Phil would also be the bigger man for overlooking the past and seeing a boy grow up to own up to the past.

I'd lay even odds on the booty plus 10mil year over cap hell knicks with "stumpy" point guard! Too bad.

I think anything phil wants to do will be fine with Isiah, and the sense of urgency is to let phil draft whom he wants and be a part of any trade input.

diderotn
USA
4/26/2005  8:58 AM
Wake up Nalod, Phil will not come to N.Y....Get use to it..
Nalod
USA
4/26/2005  9:41 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Wake up Nalod, Phil will not come to N.Y....Get use to it..

Your right, Dido-land is a much nicer place. No need to be accountable, and if you throw out 100 posts daily, some of it sticks.

In Dido-land, all is Spree, and your money here for nothing and the chicks are free......!

Jax to NY, its along shot, but lets put it this way, I'd put my hopes on that than backing Herb for months, then changing my mind on some unproven names of the past hoping they can in a suit superinpose the past. In fact, I'd lay odds they go with Herb again if he can't get phil to buy him time until he gets his roster in better shape.

There is a chance PHil sits another year, or We go with Herb, with Patrick on the sideline, then if Herb sucks, he can hand it to Pat.

But the reality is, Herb will be lame duck even with a 3 year deal.

diderotn
USA
4/26/2005  9:50 AM
That, I agree with my friend. Phil to N.Y will never happen. At least not with Isiah at the helm.

[Your right, Dido-land is a much nicer place. No need to be accountable, and if you throw out 100 posts daily, some of it sticks.

In Dido-land, all is Spree, and your money here for nothing and the chicks are free......!

Jax to NY, its along shot, but lets put it this way, I'd put my hopes on that than backing Herb for months, then changing my mind on some unproven names of the past hoping they can in a suit superinpose the past. In fact, I'd lay odds they go with Herb again if he can't get phil to buy him time until he gets his roster in better shape.

There is a chance PHil sits another year, or We go with Herb, with Patrick on the sideline, then if Herb sucks, he can hand it to Pat.

But the reality is, Herb will be lame duck even with a 3 year deal.
Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy