[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?
Author Thread
WOODMANnYk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #529
USA
6/7/2005  10:31 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:

I don't want Herb back. When he was give the team he started doing a fine job, but in the end he seemed to lose his players. Many strange decisions about who to play and when. Not using the young players when it was clear we were not making the playoffs. He only made me remember Chaney, and thats not a good thing.

I would like a real change because thats exactly what NY needs. Isiah bringing Herb back is just telling fans that the terrible nightmare of last season is going to continue, and I find it already difficult to be a Knicks fan...

Gotta give the brother a chance.. He perfectly fits the bill as the coach for the Knicks.. He's a true knick playing for them from 1992 - 1999 then becoming an assistant coach ever.. That's a good 13 yrs with the organization ..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/7/2005  10:44 PM
It's not even a question at this point: it's going to be Herb. He's in Chicago. It's Herb.

Larry Brown is going to Cleveland, Nate is staying in Seattle, Phil is going to LAL or the mountains, Flip is going to Detroit....its going to be Herb.
¿ △ ?
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
6/7/2005  10:48 PM
He'll (Zeke) be officially calling Herb's name as the Knicks head coach sometime in the next week.... Before Draft Night....
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/8/2005  10:20 AM
lets put it this way.

If he replaces him now, or in a year, he still replaces him.

If the team locks out, which really helps dolan, its that much less he has to pay a big name.

In a year, the team should have greater identity and perhaps if herb is not the man, we can better hire someone.

Herb is a true knick! HE came here after his best years were behind him!
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/8/2005  1:27 PM
Posted by Nalod:

That was very cold.
Remember those acquistions old Doc Rivers, nice but ancient Derek Harper, old Buck Williams, semi retired Blackman, Charles Smith as our 3 because Tony Campbell just didn't workout.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Nalod
USA
6/8/2005  1:47 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Nalod:

That was very cold.
Remember those acquistions old Doc Rivers, nice but ancient Derek Harper, old Buck Williams, semi retired Blackman, Charles Smith as our 3 because Tony Campbell just didn't workout.

Don't forget Kiki and Cheeks! True KnickS!
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
6/8/2005  1:58 PM
Lakers want an answer from Phil sometime this week.

Nothing doing

12:33 AM PDT on Wednesday, June 8, 2005

The latest news about the Lakers and their pursuit of a coach is that there is no news.

The latest news about Phil Jackson's coaching future is that there is no news.

Nothing. Nada.

Things are, as Lakers public relations director John Black so accurately described, in a "comatose state."

Now, you shouldn't be surprised by this. Not when it's the Lakers, who live and die by the drama they always seem to be associated with.

"There's nothing to report," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a phone interview Tuesday.

So, there you have it.

But why isn't there anything to report?

Why is there a delay?

What is going on here, with the Lakers and Phil Jackson?

After all, Lakers owner Jerry Buss said Jackson was at the top of their list of candidates.

Buss, Kupchak and assistant general manager Jim Buss have spoken with Jackson about the job in the past. But nothing has happened.

Jackson hasn't been offered a contract by Jerry Buss, who conceded "I suspect we're going to pay something relatively close to ($10 million) regardless of who the coach is."

Buss made that statement when he met with the media May 4. He said he would meet with Jackson soon after that meeting.

Not long after, Buss went to Europe for a six-week vacation from which he still hasn't returned.

Buss had said he'd like to hire a coach before the NBA Finals are over.

"I don't think we have to wait till the end of the playoffs," Buss said on May 4. "That's a little bit too long for us."

The San Antonio Spurs and Detroit Pistons play Game 1 Thursday night so time is running out.

OK, then maybe the Lakers will wait until around the NBA draft, which is June 28.

Maybe Jackson doesn't want to coach. He appears to still be wavering, one day wanting to coach, another not wanting to.

How long do the Lakers wait on a decision from Jackson? There had been some talk that the Lakers want Jackson to let them know something by the end of this week.

Maybe Jackson is using the Lakers for leverage.

His agent, Todd Musburger, didn't return repeated phone calls.

It was almost a year ago -- June 18, to be exact -- when Jackson went to Buss' Playa Del Rey home, sat in a chair and was told that his contract wasn't being renewed.

Jackson had directed the Lakers to three straight NBA championships, from 2000-02, but his team had been upset in the 2004 NBA Finals by the Pistons.

Who do the Lakers turn to if Jackson says no to them this time around?

It seems as if the Lakers have put all their basketball eggs in the Phil Jackson basket but, surely, Buss and Kupchak have a contingency plan.

Whatever that plan is, whomever they have next in line, has been a secret between them.

And what of Kobe Bryant and Jackson meeting? Does it weigh in Jackson's decision?

Apparently not. The two still haven't talked. Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not return repeated phone calls.

Kupchak and his staff are in Chicago until Friday for the NBA pre-draft camp at Moody Bible Institute.

They are looking at players that might interest them in the draft.

While they do that, the Lakers nation waits to hear something -- anything -- from Jackson.
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_beat_column_08.2eb7b1.html
Pharzeone
6/8/2005  3:11 PM
I think Jackson didn't get the answer he wanted from Kobe. Which I think he had to anticipate. Kobe has told everyone else what he thought of them last season, I guess, why should Phil be any different. Kobe sipping and stiffing on his Cognac while Phil is trying to explain to him that he wrote what he wrote because he care for him and blah blah blah. Kobe "you know what did, you f$$k up. Yeah. Yeah. You thought you were so special, but you don't know who you were f$$king with...They call me Kobe, damnit. I have vanquished bigger men than you."
There you go, Phil still waiting on the chairman's approval.
Nalod
USA
6/8/2005  4:13 PM
The moment PHil signs with the lakes I am sending that crap book I actually read to him at the lakers office. No weird notes, just one to say I am a bit dissapointed in his choice, and don't return it signed. I don't play that Starphuched memorabilia stuff!
crzymdups
USA
6/9/2005  12:28 PM
Supposedly Phil Jackson will be making an announcement in an interview at halftime of the Finals game 1 tonight.

I'm guessing it will be that he's either returning to the Lakers or sitting out another year.

I think it's a lock that he returns to the Lakers either this year or next. The determining factor will be whether Kobe is still too stubborn to listen to Phil, but another year of losing should knock a LITTLE stubborness out.

Phil has repeatedly said that Kobe is the best player in the NBA. He also doesn't like short PGs who need the ball in their hands to be effective. I don't think Phil will ever come here with Marbury running the show. And he loves Kobe's game and frame, that's why he'll go to the Lakers. Also, Jeannie Buss will be the team owner when her papa croaks, then Phil will have all the power he needs.

It's just a matter of WHEN he goes back to the Lakers at this point.
¿ △ ?
Nalod
USA
6/9/2005  1:03 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Supposedly Phil Jackson will be making an announcement in an interview at halftime of the Finals game 1 tonight.

I'm guessing it will be that he's either returning to the Lakers or sitting out another year.

I think it's a lock that he returns to the Lakers either this year or next. The determining factor will be whether Kobe is still too stubborn to listen to Phil, but another year of losing should knock a LITTLE stubborness out.

Phil has repeatedly said that Kobe is the best player in the NBA. He also doesn't like short PGs who need the ball in their hands to be effective. I don't think Phil will ever come here with Marbury running the show. And he loves Kobe's game and frame, that's why he'll go to the Lakers. Also, Jeannie Buss will be the team owner when her papa croaks, then Phil will have all the power he needs.

IM thinking its Jeannie's frame he loves!

For the right deal, Kobe can be traded. Knicks would give the store away for him, and set the lakes up with young players and picks for years to come. Knicks sell lots of ticks, and provide anohter false god (aka: royal starphuching!)

Shaq to Miami was similar. Made it to conf. finals which financially is a good thing. But the team was depleted of depth which it really needed. Im not saying it was a bad trade, not at all, but its hard to really finish the deal without depth.
Pharzeone
6/9/2005  5:58 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by crzymdups:

For the right deal, Kobe can be traded. Knicks would give the store away for him, and set the lakes up with young players and picks for years to come. Knicks sell lots of ticks, and provide anohter false god (aka: royal starphuching!)

Shaq to Miami was similar. Made it to conf. finals which financially is a good thing. But the team was depleted of depth which it really needed. Im not saying it was a bad trade, not at all, but its hard to really finish the deal without depth.
You got that right, personally I think that Shaq window is extremely small. LOL, I think Shaq entered this season as prepared as he has been for a couple of years and he still broke down. All that banging has taken a whole of him and this East style of grind them out, defensive minded teams will just continue to wear on his body.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  3:06 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by crzymdups:

You got that right, personally I think that Shaq window is extremely small. LOL, I think Shaq entered this season as prepared as he has been for a couple of years and he still broke down. All that banging has taken a whole of him and this East style of grind them out, defensive minded teams will just continue to wear on his body.

no question about it. Shaq is the key to the Heat being a championship contender but he just isn't as dominant as he used to be. That is why I felt all season that the Spurs were the best team in the league and Duncan the MVP with a great style of play and terrific I mean terrific motivator and defense coach in Pops!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/10/2005 03:06:38]
Nalod
USA
6/10/2005  10:03 AM
IM am always so impressed that despite the high percentage of wins for the Spurs, and thus the lack of high draft picks, that they have been clever to BUILD around Timmy being very creative and PATIENT!

Steady coaching and leadership is a good thing. The spurs have a salary figure that is half of the Knicks!

THey used the draft picks to pick up an important piece in Nazr to insure a deep run and give them a chance.

THere are many ways to success, and I am not saying that we should adopt the Spurs way, but I am impressed with the roster construction and the patience they have had with draft picks. I think they still have some Euro studs in the bank ready for maturity! Wow!
Nalod
USA
6/12/2005  4:31 PM
good article not linked about Isiahs pick for new coach.

Nothing new, just interesting......

THE NEXT BIG THING?

By MIKE VACCARO

IT'S good that Isiah Thomas should take his time with this coaching decision of his, despite the fact that Knicks fans - the ones who still show their faces in public anyway - have begun to wonder if the Knicks might not just use individual game captains instead of an actual head coach by the time the season starts, the way teams used to do it at the start of the last century.

No, what the Knicks need is for Thomas to make the right decision, not the quick decision. If he selects Herb Williams, it had better be because Isiah is ready to go to the wall with him, and not because it's the path of least resistance. He'd better be ready to explain that Williams, long a Garden favorite, is a star on the rise, and not simply an expedient choice.

Here's the thing: Herb really might be a terrific coach on the make. Who knows? And that's the point: Nobody really does know. Sometimes hiring the right guy is about guts and instinct.

There are a few magical names in professional sports that carry a certain guaranteed cache with them: Parcells. LaRussa. Brown. Jackson. But what's forgotten is that somebody somewhere gave every one of them their first shot. Somebody somewhere saw something in every one of them that became obvious only later on, when they started winning, when teams were willing to trip over themselves to throw bushels of money at them.

The fact is, all Isiah needs to do is look at his own adopted city, at the coaches who've risen to prominence here in the past 25 years to see how unpredictable the art of finding a coach really is.

He can start with his own franchise, in fact. Hiring Pat Riley was easily the smartest decision Dave Checketts ever made, and Riley was the driving force behind some of the most unforgettable - and unwatchable - basketball we've seen around here in a long time. So hiring a guy with a track record worked - assuming you're not talking about Don Nelson, who arrived with a book of stamps and mailed in his only year as coach of the Knicks. In many ways, the elevation of Jeff Van Gundy was the exact blueprint Isiah needs to follow. Before Van Gundy started believing his own press clippings, he was the model of what every GM fantasizes about: the unknown, anonymous worker bee plucked out of obscurity and given a start - and a star - by a very smart boss.

But, then, we know all about that, because so many of the men who have made their coaching mark in New York across the past quarter century have followed exactly the same path. Never forget that before Bill Parcells was assigned his place as Vince Lombardi's coaching heir, he was a journeyman football lifer whose hiring as Giants coach inspired a chorus of yawns, who was very nearly fired after going 3-12-1 in his first year, and who never forgot every one of the slights sent his way during those down times. That Parcells became the greatest coaching star in the galaxy is actually besides the point. George Young rolled the dice on Parcells, and was rewarded a hundred fold.

The town's baseball teams know all about that. The Mets have never been more dominant, more of a grand baseball show, than when Davey Johnson was managing them, and when Frank Cashen picked Johnson as manager during the 1983 World Series, Johnson was best known in New York as the man who flied out to Cleon Jones to end the 1969 World Series. He had no track record to speak of - certainly nothing as deep as, say Jeff Torborg or Art Howe - and yet he became a genuine original here.

The Yankees? As difficult as it is to remember a time when they were in even greater disarray than they've been so far this season, the Yankees were in almost complete disrepair after the 1991 season when Gene Michael - operating independently, free from the starry-eyed whims of George Steinbrenner - decided to give a career minor leaguer named Buck Showalter a shot at the most demanding job in baseball. And all that did was turn the Yankees' axis completely upside down - and may have paved the way for Steinbrenner himself to make the unorthodox decision of hiring Joe Torre, a lifetime loser as a manager, to succeed Showalter when that time inevitably arrived.

Sure things are nice. Mike Keenan worked out once upon a time for the Rangers. Parcells worked out well for the Jets, long after he'd left behind the role of dark horse and entered his current role as legend-for-hire. Riley worked out. Chuck Daly worked out, for the 15 minutes he spent in the Meadowlands. Phil Jackson would be wonderful. So would Larry Brown.

Herb Williams?

If Isiah gives him the job, and really means it, he might well turn into Bill Parcells. Or he may be Ray Handley. It's Isiah's lottery ticket. He can either cash it or rip it up. He'd better make the right call.

(Mike Vaccaro's e-mail address is WriteBackVac@aol.com. His Yankees-Red Sox book, "Emperors and Idiots," is available at bookstores everywhere.)

VAC'SWHACKS

There's no more enjoyable character anywhere on TV right now than Ari, the agent played on HBO's "Entourage" by Jeremy Piven. Unless you include the weekly stand-up delivered on YES by Randy Johnson, of course.

The more time goes on, the more you can envision Willie Randolph having this conversation with himself sometime next October: "Why didn't I use Aaron Heilman more when we were still in the race?"

I guess I must have missed the rioting in the streets that was sparked by New York's Olympic bid going up in flames. But it wasn't hard noticing the way the mayor and his henchmen started jumping up and down and stomping their feet like kids sent to bed without dessert.

The fight scenes in "Cinderella Man" were more realistic than Joe Torre's temper tantrum in Milwaukee the other night.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/12/2005  5:23 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by crzymdups:

First of all I've always been a huge Shaq lover.

Having said that, it's obvious to me that he ain't what he used to be. And he shouldn't be expected to be either.

He's older, he's been pounded for years, centers break down QUICK. None of this gradual wearing down move 'em to a new position BS.

The reason they aren't in the finals is because of Wade's injury. That's it. Don't talk about Shaq. He wasn't dominant because he COULDN'T be. Doesn't have it anymore. Not just the thigh injury either. He's just not that player anymore.

Why do you think he started all that Godfather BS this year? It wans't just to blow smoke up Wade's ass and to further diss Kobe (and Penny? I guarentee you Shaq hasn't thought about that a-hole in YEARS!). It was because Shaq knew that "Flash" was the man on that team, not him, and he was shifting the emphsis on over, and off of him.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/12/2005  8:44 PM
Posted by Nalod:

IM am always so impressed that despite the high percentage of wins for the Spurs, and thus the lack of high draft picks, that they have been clever to BUILD around Timmy being very creative and PATIENT!

Steady coaching and leadership is a good thing. The spurs have a salary figure that is half of the Knicks!

THey used the draft picks to pick up an important piece in Nazr to insure a deep run and give them a chance.

THere are many ways to success, and I am not saying that we should adopt the Spurs way, but I am impressed with the roster construction and the patience they have had with draft picks. I think they still have some Euro studs in the bank ready for maturity! Wow!

When you have a dominating Big man it is very simple to build around him. But try that with a SG or a PG and your going to build the team into nothing. That is why it is imperative for the KNicks to come out of this draft with a big man to build around. A great big man can make the most average ballers look good (Pat Ewing use to single handedly carry average ballers on his back to 50 win seasons) to bad the Knicks could never get him a true baller in his prime rather than in the latter part of his career. The Spurs are a great team because of draft genious and luck. Getting Duncan and Robinson together was a stroke of genious and luck. Adding Parker and Ginobili with picks was great because the compliment the big men so much. But lets face it the Spurs are who they are because of Robinson and Duncan in the past and Duncan today.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/12/2005  9:55 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by Nalod:

When you have a dominating Big man it is very simple to build around him. But try that with a SG or a PG and your going to build the team into nothing. That is why it is imperative for the KNicks to come out of this draft with a big man to build around. A great big man can make the most average ballers look good (Pat Ewing use to single handedly carry average ballers on his back to 50 win seasons) to bad the Knicks could never get him a true baller in his prime rather than in the latter part of his career. The Spurs are a great team because of draft genious and luck. Getting Duncan and Robinson together was a stroke of genious and luck. Adding Parker and Ginobili with picks was great because the compliment the big men so much. But lets face it the Spurs are who they are because of Robinson and Duncan in the past and Duncan today.

I would agree with you if we had a top 2-3 pick but outside of possibly Bynum we sre not landing that bigman with the 8th pick. Ewing was the #1 pick by the way
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/12/2005  11:04 PM
You never know is what I am saying. Got to remember that Kevin Garnett isn't a number one and niether is Amare. There are a few exceptions out there that make thing happen. Lets hope atleast the knicks take a big man and give it a go rather than pick up a sg or sf which position they already have locked up. Think this way how much more improvement can the Knicks have at the sf or sg position through the draft I mean crawford for all his bad shot selection still can score create for others and Ariza is just about as much talented as anyone going in the draft and with time and improvement can be a very good baller and quite possibly be a star.
crzymdups
USA
6/13/2005  12:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2083574

Laimbeer has second interview with Isiah....
¿ △ ?
Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy