[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/22/2005  9:01 AM

Daily rant about whom you want to coach and who you don't. Can Isiah and Phil play nice? How much money does he want?

Flipp and Marbs: Reunitned and it feels so good?

Larry: What is hip and the value of taking a clean piss?

Herb: Needs his own assistants, some respect, and a contract? Marbs not endorsed!

Isiah: He keeps saying he is not coaching, internet posters say otherwise.

Ricky Part II: Pitino returns? NO sound bites of late!

Riles: He is a owner, he is cooked, but we so want retro feel good return of the 1990's!

Izzo: Great name.

StarPhucking: Gotta do the Coach K thing, Roy williams, and an announcer. How about Bill Walton! Gets free publicity for the network, and the knicks! Chuck Daley? Dick Motta dead yet? Herb Brown? Hes old school, kinda like Hubie and larry, but half the price! Why does Rudy T. still get paid his 30mil when he can't go?

We still paying Don Chaney and Lenny! we'll have 3 coaches on the payroll at one time!

If you took a step back, and look at whom Dolan is paying off, its pretty freaking funny!

Who you want to coach and why?
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/22/2005  9:32 AM
I already have a thread out there about that,

Posted by Nalod:

Daily rant about whom you want to coach and who you don't. Can Isiah and Phil play nice? How much money does he want?

Flipp and Marbs: Reunitned and it feels so good?

Larry: What is hip and the value of taking a clean piss?

Herb: Needs his own assistants, some respect, and a contract? Marbs not endorsed!

Isiah: He keeps saying he is not coaching, internet posters say otherwise.

Ricky Part II: Pitino returns? NO sound bites of late!

Riles: He is a owner, he is cooked, but we so want retro feel good return of the 1990's!

Izzo: Great name.

StarPhucking: Gotta do the Coach K thing, Roy williams, and an announcer. How about Bill Walton! Gets free publicity for the network, and the knicks! Chuck Daley? Dick Motta dead yet? Herb Brown? Hes old school, kinda like Hubie and larry, but half the price! Why does Rudy T. still get paid his 30mil when he can't go?

We still paying Don Chaney and Lenny! we'll have 3 coaches on the payroll at one time!

If you took a step back, and look at whom Dolan is paying off, its pretty freaking funny!

Who you want to coach and why?
The true Knickabocker..........
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  9:50 AM
When you are a freaking GM, you have to hire a coach that has the same background or philosophy as you. Bill and Isiah were team-mates, and those two really symbolized what a bad boy truly was. He has done an excellent job coaching the WNBA, and one thing is for sure, he is vocal and has enough balls to get in our defenseless stars faces. New York is not a soft city; therefore having a mild mannered or soft spoken individual coaching our team is not what we need. Herb is a good guy, but we need an AHole to deal with our community, media, fans, players, etc.
Lambeer is a disciple of that old Detroit coach (Chuck Daily), and for sure we would have definitely found an identity. We need blue colored workers, players, etc. Isiah is a B.C. GM, we need a coach that believes in what the GM believes in. Lambeer fits that profile...

Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/22/2005  9:51 AM
I still think Flip wouldnt be a bad choice.He isnt the defensive minded coach many of us want but I believe he is a good enough coach to exploit whatever our strengths will be next year.Assuming some trades are made and we have a good draft.

That being said,they absolutely have to make an improvement defensively next season.Im sure Flip would be the first to say it.

Not to mention what Nalod said about Peaches and err..Flip and Stephon being reunited.If Marbury stays which is likely unless Lebron drops out of the sky,it would be good to have a coach that he trusts.

Normally I would worry about a player feeling too comfortable,but after this year Im sure Marbury wants to put as much distance from this horrible season as he can and will work his butt off.

Id say Jackson but like I said in an earlier post,I doubt he will be anything less than GM/Coach of this team as constructed.
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  9:56 AM
you need defense? than Lambeer or Brown is the man

Posted by Kwazimodal:

I still think Flip wouldnt be a bad choice.He isnt the defensive minded coach many of us want but I believe he is a good enough coach to exploit whatever our strengths will be next year.Assuming some trades are made and we have a good draft.

That being said,they absolutely have to make an improvement defensively next season.Im sure Flip would be the first to say it.

Not to mention what Nalod said about Peaches and err..Flip and Stephon being reunited.If Marbury stays which is likely unless Lebron drops out of the sky,it would be good to have a coach that he trusts.

Normally I would worry about a player feeling too comfortable,but after this year Im sure Marbury wants to put as much distance from this horrible season as he can and will work his butt off.

Id say Jackson but like I said in an earlier post,I doubt he will be anything less than GM/Coach of this team as constructed.
Kwazimodal
4/22/2005  10:12 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Kwazimodal:

If defense was all we needed Laimbeer wouldnt be a bad coach,at worst he would make a good assistant(not a bad idea IMO).But this team needs someone good with Xs and Os and Flip has a proven track record in the NBA.He just stayed too long in Minny.

Of course I would love to see Larry here but I didnt mention him because I dont think he is healthy enough to commit to rebuilding this team.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/22/2005  10:45 AM
Posted by diderotn:

When you are a freaking GM, you have to hire a coach that has the same background or philosophy as you. Bill and Isiah were team-mates, and those two really symbolized what a bad boy truly was. He has done an excellent job coaching the WNBA, and one thing is for sure, he is vocal and has enough balls to get in our defenseless stars faces. New York is not a soft city; therefore having a mild mannered or soft spoken individual coaching our team is not what we need. Herb is a good guy, but we need an AHole to deal with our community, media, fans, players, etc.
Lambeer is a disciple of that old Detroit coach (Chuck Daily), and for sure we would have definitely found an identity. We need blue colored workers, players, etc. Isiah is a B.C. GM, we need a coach that believes in what the GM believes in. Lambeer fits that profile...
I don't agree that a gm needs to hire a guy that has his same background and history at all. In most cases, the most successful teams have been when the GM and Coach can't get along at all and or always on a different page.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/22/2005  10:51 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Kwazimodal:

If defense was all we needed Laimbeer wouldnt be a bad coach,at worst he would make a good assistant(not a bad idea IMO).But this team needs someone good with Xs and Os and Flip has a proven track record in the NBA.He just stayed too long in Minny.

Of course I would love to see Larry here but I didnt mention him because I dont think he is healthy enough to commit to rebuilding this team.
You got some good candidates there. I really like Flip as a the next coach a lot. What bothers me about him is that he took like 7 seasons to get out of the first round. We put a lot of that on KG and Marbury when he was there but not a lot on Flip. Hell Isiah was blasted and still blasted because he couldn't take the Pacers pass the 1st. And I think the Wolves have had more talent in the West for a number of years. So that really bothers me. I think we really missed out on Karl but I don't think he would have come here. Another possibility is PJ. Also, I know that Isiah said he wouldn't coach the Knicks but I think he is an excellent choice too. I would like to see him really run practices.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  10:52 AM
NOT HERE IN N.Y.... To deal with this hungry media town, both coach and GM have to be on the same sheet of music....
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by diderotn:

I don't agree that a gm needs to hire a guy that has his same background and history at all. In most cases, the most successful teams have been when the GM and Coach can't get along at all and or always on a different page.
Kwazimodal
4/22/2005  11:02 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Kwazimodal:

You got some good candidates there. I really like Flip as a the next coach a lot. What bothers me about him is that he took like 7 seasons to get out of the first round. We put a lot of that on KG and Marbury when he was there but not a lot on Flip. Hell Isiah was blasted and still blasted because he couldn't take the Pacers pass the 1st. And I think the Wolves have had more talent in the West for a number of years. So that really bothers me. I think we really missed out on Karl but I don't think he would have come here. Another possibility is PJ. Also, I know that Isiah said he wouldn't coach the Knicks but I think he is an excellent choice too. I would like to see him really run practices.

I dont like making excuses for people,especially when they make alot more money than I do ,but Flip had Garnett just out of high school and Marbury,came early out of college and we know his track record since leaving.Not to mention the lack of a strong supporting cast.

If anything I think his teams overachieved.Im sure Ill get an argument from somes Wolves fans and a few posters here but look at what they did when they added Cassell and Spree (pre-cancer).They almost made the finals.Its not a blanket excuse for not getting out of the first round but it does explain alot.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/22/2005  11:08 AM
1. Riley
2. Larry B
3. Jax
4. Isiah
5. Herb
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  11:56 AM
Why even mentioning names that are not on the list?

Jackson will for sure coach the Lakers or Cleveland.

My list is and always will be in this order:
Isiah
Lambeer
Silas
Flip
Herb

Posted by TMS:

1. Riley
2. Larry B
3. Jax
4. Isiah
5. Herb
Nalod
USA
4/22/2005  12:08 PM

Lambierr has no rep. He coaches the women. Being a tough player does not mean you can coach, relate, or command presence. We talking men, spoiled men, men that make too damm much money and act like children at times. Isiah and Phil are into personal developement. we need serious men who want to work, not just talk of it! Phil is my man. Isiah messed up bringing in soft characters.

Nalod
USA
4/22/2005  12:09 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I already have a thread out there about that,

You have a thread for everything. Attempt to consoldiate.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/22/2005  12:19 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Why even mentioning names that are not on the list?

Jackson will for sure coach the Lakers or Cleveland.

My list is and always will be in this order:
Isiah
Lambeer
Silas
Flip
Herb

Posted by TMS:

1. Riley
2. Larry B
3. Jax
4. Isiah
5. Herb

in case you don't understand, the point is you stick w/Herb if you can't get any of the above mentioned guys on my list.

Laimbeer? so he can be another puppet for Isiah? why not simply promote Mark Aguirre then? at least he's more familiar w/the players on the roster.

Silas? & how is he an upgrade exactly? he had 2 teams quit on him down the stretch w/far superior talent than the Knicks 2 consecutive seasons.

Flip? so Marbury can have his man coach this team & create even more dissent, jealousy & resentment towards him among the other players? no thanks...if a taskmaster who will demand the best out of this team is what you want, Flip is NOT the right guy, trust me. he's a players' coach.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/22/2005  12:23 PM
classic.

I'm not of the thinking that our next coach should be defensive minded. We dont have defensive minded players, we have scorers. Lets figure what kind of players we want to build around and hire a coach accordingly. If we want to be fast and explosive go that way. If we want to be tough and build around D go that way. None of this little of everything crap. It doesnt work. You play to your opponent every night.

So what if our defensive isnt good. If you are attacking the rim with gifted scorers and your attacking the glass with tough rebounders you can have a bigtime time. Say we get Toronto's #16 pick (they have 2) for the #30 and next year's Spurs pick and cash, and we draft Petro and Warrick. Thats commiting us to an uptempo style of play with scrappy players. You get coach comfortable with an uptempo game. Who would like to see a team built around this rotation?
Marbury
Ariza
Warrick
JYD
Petro
with Crawford, Rose, Sweetney and a guard (Charlie Bell) coming off the bench.

FOR ONCE make a team match up with us. Run teams out of the court. Give teams nightmares with long athletic players.

Have a plan.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MinsHeartsReezy
Member: #872
USA
4/22/2005  12:33 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Lambierr has no rep. He coaches the women. Being a tough player does not mean you can coach, relate, or command presence. We talking men, spoiled men, men that make too damm much money and act like children at times. Isiah and Phil are into personal developement. we need serious men who want to work, not just talk of it! Phil is my man. Isiah messed up bringing in soft characters.

a tad sexist dont u think nalod?
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  12:43 PM
What? Man are you serious? How do you know that someone will not be a good coach if he is not given a chance? Besides even Phil may fail coaching in N.Y. look here: Lambeer knows the game of basketball and his character alone can be a freaking presence on the side line. Teams were affraid of facing this dude as a player, as a coach he migh command that same respect. As for Silas, he has been successful as a coach. It is not his fault that injuries to his players forced his teams not to succeed. on both occasions, Cleveland and NO, he did excellently well in my opinion. He didn't have the right players to coach in Cleveland and despite that, he was still successful. Just having Lebron is not enough, because even Jordan needed to have shooters around him and a rebounding machine before he went to his first playoff.

in case you don't understand, the point is you stick w/Herb if you can't get any of the above mentioned guys on my list.

Laimbeer? so he can be another puppet for Isiah? why not simply promote Mark Aguirre then? at least he's more familiar w/the players on the roster.

Silas? & how is he an upgrade exactly? he had 2 teams quit on him down the stretch w/far superior talent than the Knicks 2 consecutive seasons.

Flip? so Marbury can have his man coach this team & create even more dissent, jealousy & resentment towards him among the other players? no thanks...if a taskmaster who will demand the best out of this team is what you want, Flip is NOT the right guy, trust me. he's a players' coach.
diderotn
USA
4/22/2005  12:46 PM
I said the same exact thing on another thread

"We need anyone that can provide some shot blocking in the starting lineup. One of the reason why we were so bad defensively is because we are a jump shooting/pick & roll type of team. Our interior defense is as soft as butter because we have reallied so much on a slow, unathletic, 6'9" jump shooter like Kurt as our Center. The Knicks need to make a decision about what type of team that they really want to be, therfore, once they figure that out, they can decide of who to hire as a coach and who to bring in to fit that style. If we are going to be a fast jump shooting team, by all means, stock this roster with jump shooters, but if we are going to be a half court squad, bring in guys that can postup, block shots, etc. What type of team were we this season? our shooting percentage was low, our postup game was poor, our defense was horrible, and our records is our witness".

Posted by fishmike:
classic.

I'm not of the thinking that our next coach should be defensive minded. We dont have defensive minded players, we have scorers. Lets figure what kind of players we want to build around and hire a coach accordingly. If we want to be fast and explosive go that way. If we want to be tough and build around D go that way. None of this little of everything crap. It doesnt work. You play to your opponent every night.

So what if our defensive isnt good. If you are attacking the rim with gifted scorers and your attacking the glass with tough rebounders you can have a bigtime time. Say we get Toronto's #16 pick (they have 2) for the #30 and next year's Spurs pick and cash, and we draft Petro and Warrick. Thats commiting us to an uptempo style of play with scrappy players. You get coach comfortable with an uptempo game. Who would like to see a team built around this rotation?
Marbury
Ariza
Warrick
JYD
Petro
with Crawford, Rose, Sweetney and a guard (Charlie Bell) coming off the bench.

FOR ONCE make a team match up with us. Run teams out of the court. Give teams nightmares with long athletic players.

Have a plan.
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
4/22/2005  12:46 PM
Not trying to take anything away from Jax (well, maybe I am...) but I think Phil gets a lot of credit that needs to be shared by the on-court coaching of Jordan, plus the sheer dominance of Shaquille. (Case and point, put Shaq on this Knicks squad right now and we go to the finals next season)

If I took a chance on a Jax, it would be Mark, not Phil...but if Steph is staying, let's face it - He respects Isiah more than anyone. If Zeke coaches, there's no chance for insubordination. Steph will get in line with coach Thomas.

Otherwise, Riles for old times sake, and the re-institution of the NY-Miami rivalry...with an ironic twist.
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Coaches Corner: Who's our next coach and why?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy