[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NFL Draft- Giants
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/21/2005  5:45 PM
Giants have only 4 picks to work with, but with the recent trades of Phil Buchanon, Doug Jolley etc., it seems like they can get something nice in return for Will Allen. If Jolley and a 2nd rder can get the 26th pick in the first, I think Will Allen and a fourth or maybe a 3rd can also get you into the late first. In which case if I were the Giants I'd take....

Late 1st- CB Marlin Jackson or CB Justin MIller
2nd- Mike Patterson, playmaking DT from USC, who has some size concerns, but would be a nice player to play at DT or DE and spell our starters.
3rd- JJ Arrington or Marion Barber RB's. I really like Arrington a lot...he's a lot like TIki. His knock is that he's around 5-8, but he's built very strong and is over 200 pounds. Quick, and with great moves. Barber has the prototypical size and decent speed...needs some time, but could be an every down guy.
6th- Our last pick will probably be a small school special, as assistant GM Jerry Reese loves to make these picks (Osi, Shiancoe, Ponder etc.). I like WR Tommy Manus from Morgan St. A tall wideout with good hands.

Just some other players that I like in general that I'd like the Giants to pick...
CB Stanley Wilson from Stanford- Good speed, decent size, developing player.
WR Chris Henry- a headcase, but what a talent
WR- Jerome Mathis- The star of the combines. Ran a 4.29 40 and is well built, a speed wideout threat. Small school player
OT Michael Roos- Small school OT with excellent potential

Also keep your eye out for CB Ronald Bartell of Howard, LB/DE Justin Tuck, CB Corey Webster, CB Fabian Washington, RB Eric Shelton...

Should be an interesting draft.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/22/2005  10:45 AM
who would give up a 1st rounder to get Will Allen? that's not happening dude...maybe a 4th rounder at best...i don't think he's going anywhere as much as i would love for him to be gone.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
4/22/2005  7:29 PM
Posted by TMS:

who would give up a 1st rounder to get Will Allen? that's not happening dude...maybe a 4th rounder at best...i don't think he's going anywhere as much as i would love for him to be gone.

Believe it or not, its highly likely that some team will give up something good to get him. Phillip Buchanon, a worse player than Allen, yielded a 2 and a 3. Patrick Surtain, a great player, but an older player with a very big contract got a no.2 pick. Doug Jolley, a very mediocre TE and a no.2 pick yielded the no.26 pick in the draft. Andre Dyson, a medicore corner who is smaller and worse than Allen just got paid a pretty huge contract. You may not like Allen, but you are a severely underrating him. He has been a starter from day 1 in this league and is a pretty good player cover wise. He doesn't have tremendous ball skills, but he can play.

From what I've heard, there a few teams interested him, especially the Rams. I think if you put Allen together with a 3 you can definitely get into the first round. This is not a great first round at the top and teams are willing to move for proven talents.
VDesai
USA
4/23/2005  7:21 PM
Giants take CB Corey Webster. This guy was a dynamic playmaker 2 years ago, but had some nagging injuries this past year and didn't play as well. Apparently he had some great workout and ran a 4.45-4.5 for the Giants. An excellent pick. The Giants finally have a CB that can play the ball and get INT's.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2005  8:18 PM
I love it! say goodbye to undersized Will Allen hopefully! great pick! From the start I wanted a Corner with the 1st pick! this guy could've goona lot sooner.

What should we look for in the 3rd round with the #74 overall pick? I'm thinking either a defender inside, offensive lineman or a backup RB. I would go in that order...
VDesai
USA
4/23/2005  8:20 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I love it! say goodbye to undersized Will Allen hopefully! great pick! From the start I wanted a Corner with the 1st pick! this guy could've goona lot sooner.

What should we look for in the 3rd round with the #74 overall pick? I'm thinking either a defender inside, offensive lineman or a backup RB. I would go in that order...

For RB I like Ciatrick Fason and Eric Shelton
For LB I like Darryl Blakcstock
For DT I like Antajj Hawthorne and Jonathon Babineaux
FOr DE I like Chris Canty and Jovan Haye
For WR I like CHris Henry and Jerom Mathis.
For OG I like Elton Brown.
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2005  8:25 PM
Shelton is gone. Carolina just picked him
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2005  9:42 PM
(CB) Corey Webster - LOUISIANA STATEStrengths: Has good size and man-to-man cover skills. Is technically sound and proven in press-man coverage. Is aggressive and tough in coverage. Has very good instincts. Will do a good job of pressing WR's at the LOS. Has long arms and a strong upper body. He is smooth for a taller cornerback. Shows the ability to transition smoothly and doesn't open his hips too early. Shows good balance in his backpedal and burst out of it. Closes quickly on the ball in the short-passing game. Also possesses excellent leaping ability (39-inch vertical), long arms and extremely good ball skills to challenge on the deep ball. Is a playmaker when the ball is in the air.

Weaknesses: Biggest concern is his lack of ideal speed. He's at his best in press man-to-man coverage but lacks great makeup speed if he makes a mistake. Might need to be protected a lot more in the vertical passing game in the NFL than he has been in college. Lacks experience in zone coverage. Hamstring and foot injuries really set him back in 2004. Durability is a serious concern. Is below average in run support. Not overly physical in that facet and will miss too many open field tackles. Mental capacity a concern; scored a 12 on Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Webster was also a highly recruited basketball star in high school but elected to play football. He played wide receiver his first two seasons at LSU but moved to cornerback in 2002, where he wound up as a consensus first team All-SEC and led the SEC with seven interceptions in his first season as a starter. He returned as a fulltime starter in his 2003 junior season and continued to improve his technique and consistency at the position. Webster was granted an extra season of eligibility (2004) after he was ineligible as a true freshman in 2000 but struggled through his final season due to a nagging hamstring injury and turf toe. Webster showed a great deal of toughness trying to play through injuries as a senior but he was nowhere near 100-percent. The first game that he was even close to full strength was against Alabama (Nov. 13), when he intercepted a key pass in the end zone and returned it 44 yards. Webster began the 2004 season as a sure-fire first round pick but missed one game because of injury and also missed time in several others. While it isn't fair to judge him on his hobbled senior season in 2004, there is some concern that Webster will never regain the same quickness and speed that he once had because of complications regarding his foot. In our opinion, Webster is still worth drafting in the mid-to-late range of the second round but if he drops considerably on draft day it will be as a result of long-term durability concerns.

Scouts inc
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2005  9:44 PM
great pick in the 3rd round! with Justin Tuck, very quick and agile DE! Great job so far Ernie!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/tuck_justin
VDesai
USA
4/23/2005  10:49 PM
Apparently the Giants had Webster higher or as high as the 2 top corners, Rolle and Jones. This was a guy who was dominant for LSU in 2003...7 picks. He was hurt last year and that caused a slip in play, but he came in and worked out for the Giants and really impressed them

Tuck is a very nice pick. A little small at DE, but athletic and has a frame that can be filled out. All Time ND leader in sacks.

The Giants have done a lot to help their defense despite only having 2 picks.
VDesai
USA
4/23/2005  11:14 PM
Top 10 or so guys left

1)Fason
2)Mathis
3)Hawthorne
4)Elton Brown
5)Canty
6)Barber III
7)Fred Gibson
8)Jovan Haye
9)Ernest Shazor
10)Swancutt

Honorable Mentions: Kyle Orton (would be a great backup QB!), Adrian Mcpherson, Lefors, Cro Thorpe, Kay JAy Harris, Mike Munoz, Wesley Britt, Ray Willis, Chris Kemoeatu, CJ Brooks, CJ Mosley, Boomer Grigsby, Mike Boley, Antonio Perkins,Brandon Browner, Vincent Fuller, Donte Nicholson
VDesai
USA
4/24/2005  7:41 PM
The Giants made 2 more picks today...Brandon Jacobs, a 6'4" 267 lb. runningback(!) who runs a 4.5 40 yd dash. Also Eric Moore, another light pass rushing DE.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/25/2005  10:35 AM
As always, I am excited about the draft picks and can't wait for the season to get started. Brandon Jacobs, from all the draft reports, looks like he will be the 2nd coming of Christian Okoye "The Nigerian Nightmare". Except he is bigger and faster.

16 and 0 baby! Yeah! GO BIG BLUE!!!
NFL Draft- Giants

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy