Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/22/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.

i tend to agree...he's talking a good game here, but his actions proved otherwise...if he actually believed what he's saying here, why hasn't he remained on the path he was on when he first game to NY (dishing to teammates first & looking to get everyone involved?)...he became a scoring first PG halfway into the season & never turned back...i like the fact that Marbury accepts blame for the season even though i don't hold him solely responsible, but to be a leader it takes more than words, it takes action & results.

"When you don't win, it doesn't matter," Marbury said before being benched in the fourth quarter of last night's 92-91 loss to the Bulls. "It's all about getting W's. The way I look at it, if I average 12 or 15 points and we win 63 games, then I'm an MVP candidate."

Nash, who replaced Marbury in Phoenix, is averaging 15.5 points for the 62-win Suns. "I think that's what I've got to do," said Marbury, who claimed he sat last night because of a bunion on his foot while coach Herb Williams said it was his sore knee tightening up.

"We've just got to win games. That's how you're going to be judged in the NBA. And I'm at the point in my career where I can deal with that. I can deal with getting criticized for not winning.

"That's what it boils down to, regardless of the other 11 people being on the team. But that seems to not have a factor. It's about Stephon Marbury, he didn't win again. If I could win by myself, believe me, I would try to do it every night. But that's not the case. So, for me, it's not about numbers."
Who's he going to pass to? Our 2nd best scorer hits 39% of his shots and no one else scores in the teens. It astonishing he could be 4th in the league in assists per game on *this* squad.

as usual you're too busy apologizing & defending players to get the point i was trying to make...read what Marbury just said in that statement & consider if that's the way he played this year, & you'll see what i mean when i say that Talk is Cheap...once again, the point is that Marbury was NOT a pass first style PG like he's talking about in the article...he was when he first got here, but he progressively reverted back to his scorer's mentality...i think i pretty much outlined that in my previous posts.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/22/2005  11:34 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.

i tend to agree...he's talking a good game here, but his actions proved otherwise...if he actually believed what he's saying here, why hasn't he remained on the path he was on when he first game to NY (dishing to teammates first & looking to get everyone involved?)...he became a scoring first PG halfway into the season & never turned back...i like the fact that Marbury accepts blame for the season even though i don't hold him solely responsible, but to be a leader it takes more than words, it takes action & results.

"When you don't win, it doesn't matter," Marbury said before being benched in the fourth quarter of last night's 92-91 loss to the Bulls. "It's all about getting W's. The way I look at it, if I average 12 or 15 points and we win 63 games, then I'm an MVP candidate."

Nash, who replaced Marbury in Phoenix, is averaging 15.5 points for the 62-win Suns. "I think that's what I've got to do," said Marbury, who claimed he sat last night because of a bunion on his foot while coach Herb Williams said it was his sore knee tightening up.

"We've just got to win games. That's how you're going to be judged in the NBA. And I'm at the point in my career where I can deal with that. I can deal with getting criticized for not winning.

"That's what it boils down to, regardless of the other 11 people being on the team. But that seems to not have a factor. It's about Stephon Marbury, he didn't win again. If I could win by myself, believe me, I would try to do it every night. But that's not the case. So, for me, it's not about numbers."
Who's he going to pass to? Our 2nd best scorer hits 39% of his shots and no one else scores in the teens. It astonishing he could be 4th in the league in assists per game on *this* squad.

as usual you're too busy apologizing & defending players to get the point i was trying to make...read what Marbury just said in that statement & consider if that's the way he played this year, & you'll see what i mean when i say that Talk is Cheap...once again, the point is that Marbury was NOT a pass first style PG like he's talking about in the article...he was when he first got here, but he progressively reverted back to his scorer's mentality...i think i pretty much outlined that in my previous posts.
I wasn't respondng to the talk is cheap part of your comment. I was responding to the part where you said he became a scoring first PG rather than getting everyone involved. Sorry you misunderstood.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/22/2005  1:05 PM
I don't think it's fair to suggest that Marbury doesn't get his teammates involved when he's been a league leader in assists for many seasons. I also think this whole fascination with "pass first" is kinda silly. I rather Marbury "pass when it's best". We don't have too many playmakers. And we have zero playmakers in the frontcourt. It's not like Marbury can just throw it to Kurt and have him make a play. Marbury is going above and beyond to set the table for these guys. He deserves a lot of the criticism, but to say he's not getting teammates involved is unfair.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/22/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.

What are you talking about. Marbury begins every game passing. He did most of his scoring in the 3rd and 4th quarters. TT was laying brick after brick during the first half of the season. When KT is hitting his jumpers it's great but when he misses it is outright goddamn ugly. Nazr was a turnover machine in the paint with the entry pass. I don't know how many times I saw perfectly thrown passes just go through guys hands, or get strip, or just gets stuffed by someone. How many times this season did I have to listen to Clyde talking about how Steph has to take over this game because his teammates can't score. And I am sure Lenny and Herb were telling him that he has to stick with trying to give those guys the ball when they were down by 15+ points in the second half.
Now you want to say he wasn't a pass first pg this year. And he still average 8 assist this season. Hell, I think the Knicks would have won more games if he came out shooting from tip off.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
eViL
USA
4/22/2005  1:17 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:

What are you talking about. Marbury begins every game passing. He did most of his scoring in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

I saw the same thing this year. He had a lot of quiet first halfs. Maybe one of our stat gurus can pull the data out.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TMS
USA
4/22/2005  1:31 PM
once again, the point is that Marbury was NOT a pass first style PG like he's talking about in the article...he was when he first got here, but he progressively reverted back to his scorer's mentality...i think i pretty much outlined that in my previous posts.

i'll bold out the important parts for those of you who have difficulty w/reading comprehension.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/22/2005  1:40 PM
Marbs inherently thinks he is far superior to others. which is is "skill wise".

I don't think he trusts anyone on the court and can't handle to not be in control. This is very common trait when your on teams like he ahs been on.

Its not all his fault, but lets just say the teams success lies on him having players to trust, and him actually doing it. it took Michael many years for this to happen.

Trusting Gazy? Sweets? Reezy? and of course Crawful is not easy. KT is likly the most consistant, but they hate each other. I hate to say it, Mitchel Lawrence might be right, Marbs might need a star to fulfil his potential. Too bad we could not get Vince if this is true.

Does Isiah trade for one and give up on youth? Or realize we can't do this, and trades marbs?
TMS
USA
4/22/2005  1:45 PM
i agree w/all that nalod...seems like some posters feel any sort of criticism of Marbury's game equates to being labeled as a hater on this board...the fact remains he hasn't been a leader on this team this year...he goes out every night & puts up great numbers, but how often has anyone heard another teammate talk about him as being a great teammate? i haven't heard it said once in all the time he's been here...that's a big part of the problem i have w/Marbury...yes, he's got crap to work with for the most part, but there are other players in this league that make due w/crap, but are still able to be good leaders on the floor & in the lockerroom...Marbury has yet to learn that...when he finally shows he's gotten that down, then he should be making comments like this...until then, it's all talk & nothing else.

as for isiah, i think he'll trade for a star at this point rather than give up on the marbury experiment, but he could shock me & decide to blow it all up...i'm very curious to see what happens this offseason.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/22/2005  1:56 PM
Im on the fence about Marbury being a good teamate,but I dont think he has been a bad one.

When he first came here I was psyched but in the back of my head I was wondering if he was going to make the back page of the paper every time something went wrong.He hasnt and he has been really cool about his knee problems and hasnt even attempted to use that as an excuse and I think he is making a genuine effort to become a leader.

The question is will he succeed and how long should we wait? We can always bring in someone to fill that role but if there hasnt been any problems with Marbury,I think thats where they will start.
TMS
USA
4/22/2005  2:27 PM
i don't think he's been all that bad a teammate either, but to be a leader & be considered among the top PG's in the game like he's talking about in this article, it takes alot more than just putting up stats...he's clearly aware of this, but he has yet to demonstrate a consistent effort to being that type of player imho.
eViL
USA
4/22/2005  3:28 PM
Posted by TMS:
once again, the point is that Marbury was NOT a pass first style PG like he's talking about in the article...he was when he first got here, but he progressively reverted back to his scorer's mentality...i think i pretty much outlined that in my previous posts.

i'll bold out the important parts for those of you who have difficulty w/reading comprehension.

Posted by TMS:

...seems like some posters feel any sort of criticism of Marbury's game equates to being labeled as a hater on this board...

Unnecessary. Reading comprehension? I comprehend. I just disagree. I didn't call you a hater either. I just thought you were off point.

Nalod is on point with the trust issue though. This happens on a lot of teams. Even in the corporate leagues I play in, I come upon situations where I'd take a bad shot rather than pass it to an inept teammate. I don't doubt that Marbury comes up against this situation all the time. I think the Knicks need a playmaker in the frontcourt and a lot of our problems would go away.

Who are our playmakers on this team anyway? I can name two:

1) Marbury
2) Crawford
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/22/2005  3:47 PM
Posted by eViL:
Posted by TMS:

Posted by TMS:

...seems like some posters feel any sort of criticism of Marbury's game equates to being labeled as a hater on this board...

Unnecessary. Reading comprehension? I comprehend. I just disagree. I didn't call you a hater either. I just thought you were off point.

Nalod is on point with the trust issue though. This happens on a lot of teams. Even in the corporate leagues I play in, I come upon situations where I'd take a bad shot rather than pass it to an inept teammate. I don't doubt that Marbury comes up against this situation all the time. I think the Knicks need a playmaker in the frontcourt and a lot of our problems would go away.

Who are our playmakers on this team anyway? I can name two:

1) Marbury
2) Crawford
ditto. I just want to add, how much do you think it was just Marbury saying to take the shot. TMS, you are giving Marbury too much credit for the amount of control he has on what plays are being called or run. If your head coach is telling you to shoot, shoot, drive, and yeah shoot us back in the game, what are you going to do? Just ignore the man, and say f##$ that, i am going to continue to pass to those guys. What is amazing is that the guy still put up near 8 assist a game.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
TMS
USA
4/22/2005  4:55 PM
look, when teammates begin to talk about Stephon the way J. Kidd's teammates talk about him, or Nash's teammates talk about him, then we'll know how much of a leader Marbury's become...he's just not there yet, sorry...this is not me hating or me being off point...it's pretty obvious...1 on 1 Marbury can take either 1 of those cats, but as a teammate & a leader, he's not on their level...if he wants to be considered on their level like he's talking about in that quote, then he'll need to learn how to gain the respect of his teammates the way those guys have.
Bonn1997
USA
4/22/2005  5:15 PM
I'd agree with evil and pharezone. The reading comprehension comments are childish. Marbury has brought out the best in all of his teammates this year except maybe TT, who's simply a lost cause. Nalod might be right about trust, but if I were Marbury, I wouldn't trust my teammates. How can you trust your starting SG who misses 61% of his shots? Your starting SF who's extremely inconsistent and averages 12PPG? Your starting PF who's a 2nd year player getting about 8PG? The only player you can trust is Kurt to hit jump shots and Marbury does set up a lot of jump shots for Kurt.
Bonn1997
USA
4/22/2005  5:18 PM
Posted by TMS:

look, when teammates begin to talk about Stephon the way J. Kidd's teammates talk about him, or Nash's teammates talk about him, then we'll know how much of a leader Marbury's become...he's just not there yet, sorry...this is not me hating or me being off point...it's pretty obvious...1 on 1 Marbury can take either 1 of those cats, but as a teammate & a leader, he's not on their level...if he wants to be considered on their level like he's talking about in that quote, then he'll need to learn how to gain the respect of his teammates the way those guys have.
Maybe he can get their respect by breaking their noses in practice. It's what KG does to his teammmates. He's a good leader, right? The fact that *former* teammates say bad things about him doesn't mean much to me. It's just a way for Amare et al. to further praise their current PG whom they are always sucking up to. ("Stevie, you're so much better than that loser Stephon. BTW, don't forget to get me 20 shots tonight!")
TMS
USA
4/22/2005  5:40 PM
Bonn, don't even bother calling anyone childish on this board...you take more cheap shots at other posters than anyone else here w/your veiled digs.

bringing up KG hardly does anything to disprove anything i said...we're talking about PG's here...hey, how about Iverson?
Bonn1997
USA
4/22/2005  5:55 PM
Posted by TMS:

Bonn, don't even bother calling anyone childish on this board...you take more cheap shots at other posters than anyone else here w/your veiled digs.

bringing up KG hardly does anything to disprove anything i said...we're talking about PG's here...hey, how about Iverson?
Yeah, I used to until about a month ago. Point well taken. I got bored of that kind of stuff, though. I wasn't trying to put you down. I just thought you were above making that kind of reading comprehension comment.

What about Iverson? What does he have to do with this?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/22/2005 17:57:09]
rojasmas
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #639
4/22/2005  8:43 PM
I agree with TMS. Marbury talks about just winning but his game never speaks that way: what do I mean? He isn't a leader. If anything he is overly critical of his teammates on the floor and puts them in a deeper funk. He seems very conscious of his stats. While this isn't horrible, AI is the same way, Marbury doens't look to take over games when they count the most, like in the last 4 minutes. He doesn't defend well and he should. He is a strong dude. He is quick and can move his feet. Why doesn't he play defense? You would have to ask him. But this goes back to being a leader and he isn't one. I loved this guy before he came to the Knicks, when I didn't get to see all his games. Now I don't know. Something is missing and will always be missing it appears.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Marbury: Blame me for season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy