[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbury: Blame me for season
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/20/2005  10:42 PM
He's done everything I could have asked him to including playing thorugh pain, but it's good leadership skills for the team's star to say he'll take the blame for a bad season.

http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/23254.htm

STEPH: BLAME ME FOR AWFUL SEASON

By MARC BERMAN

April 20, 2005 -- Bulls 92 Knicks 91

CHICAGO — If you must slap the blame on him for this grotesque Knick season that ends tonight, Stephon Marbury said he'll accept it, right or wrong.

Though he indicated he can't do it all himself and made an interesting reference to Phoenix star Steve Nash, Marbury understands.

"When you don't win, it doesn't matter," Marbury said before being benched in the fourth quarter of last night's 92-91 loss to the Bulls. "It's all about getting W's. The way I look at it, if I average 12 or 15 points and we win 63 games, then I'm an MVP candidate."

Nash, who replaced Marbury in Phoenix, is averaging 15.5 points for the 62-win Suns. "I think that's what I've got to do," said Marbury, who claimed he sat last night because of a bunion on his foot while coach Herb Williams said it was his sore knee tightening up.

"We've just got to win games. That's how you're going to be judged in the NBA. And I'm at the point in my career where I can deal with that. I can deal with getting criticized for not winning.

"That's what it boils down to, regardless of the other 11 people being on the team. But that seems to not have a factor. It's about Stephon Marbury, he didn't win again. If I could win by myself, believe me, I would try to do it every night. But that's not the case. So, for me, it's not about numbers."

Last night was so typical in this 32-49 season. Jamal Crawford, booed repeatedly in making his Chicago return, blew two free throws with 11.6 seconds left and the Knicks up one. Then rookie Ben Gordon hit pull-up jumper over Jermaine Jackson for the game-winner with 5.8 seconds left. Crawford missed a 20-footer at the buzzer, spoiling his 24-point night.

Marbury's offensive numbers are efficient — 21.8 ppg, 46.2-percent shooting, 8.2 assists, 520 free-throw attempts, 298 more than the next Knick. Scouts say he tried to get others involved more than ever. His downfall was defense and hitting the big shot.

Marbury said the Knicks can use a shot-blocker and "it would be great to have a wing player that is very athletic, long, a lockdown [defender]."

On Crawford's year, Marbury said, "He was having a stellar season before he got hurt [Dec. 26]. That kind of set him back. I think next year he's going to be a lot better."

Marbury won't weigh in on the next coach. "Whatever they do, I'll be behind it. It's going to be right for the team."
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
4/20/2005  10:45 PM
Talk is cheap.
Bonn1997
USA
4/20/2005  10:48 PM
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.
If you judge by actions, then what more would you have expected him to DO this season while playing with only one good leg and with four average to below average starters? (Keep in mind that even Kobe, KG, and Lebron all missed the playoffs despite all having stronger supporting casts.)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2005  12:06 AM

Its not Marbs fault we sucked. It a convergence of events and personel called chemistry that lacks.

Marbs taking responsability? AFTER THE SEASON IS OVER? Kinda shallow! NO biggie though.

Whole statement is overrated, as is the reponse.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/21/2005  12:18 AM
I thought Marbury was dead on. He's been great all year, but they need a shotblocker and an athletic wing. I'll take that as something Isiah and Marbury have been talking about, hopefully. And Jamal was much better before the injury and just started to regain his game in April.
¿ △ ?
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/21/2005  12:44 AM
Marbles is trying to show some maturity which is another reason that I'm glad we have him.

The main problem is that we haven't had a coach since JVG stormed out of practice.

If Isiah gets us a coach we'll win the Atlantic next year irregardless of who we draft.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/21/2005  12:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^do you realize irregardless isn't a word?

Its a pet peeve of mine, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I realize you may think that anyway.
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/21/2005  1:06 AM
Depends what you mean by "word." It's had a long and stubborn history in American English, and is working it's way into the "official" lexicon. Gradeschool grammarians may poo-poo it, but those with an ear for language and a soft spot for the underdog appreciate the shift in pronounciation that comes along with the extraneous prefix. Also, I'm pretty sure that "irregardless" could take Bogut in the paint.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/21/2005  7:27 AM
^^^^^^^^^do you realize irregardless isn't a word?
Its a pet peeve of mine, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I realize you may think that anyway.

Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

Depends what you mean by "word." It's had a long and stubborn history in American English, and is working it's way into the "official" lexicon. Gradeschool grammarians may poo-poo it, but those with an ear for language and a soft spot for the underdog appreciate the shift in pronounciation that comes along with the extraneous prefix. Also, I'm pretty sure that "irregardless" could take Bogut in the paint.

you guys, this F'g board rules!!!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/21/2005  10:15 AM
Besides his defense, Marbury is not the one to blame this season as he really has done all he could. That is not the issue though, concerning him. The issues are whether his style of play is better for this team or not and if his leadership skills should be questioned. It's nice he said all that, but it really doesn't mean anything.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/21/2005  12:43 PM
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.

i tend to agree...he's talking a good game here, but his actions proved otherwise...if he actually believed what he's saying here, why hasn't he remained on the path he was on when he first game to NY (dishing to teammates first & looking to get everyone involved?)...he became a scoring first PG halfway into the season & never turned back...i like the fact that Marbury accepts blame for the season even though i don't hold him solely responsible, but to be a leader it takes more than words, it takes action & results.

"When you don't win, it doesn't matter," Marbury said before being benched in the fourth quarter of last night's 92-91 loss to the Bulls. "It's all about getting W's. The way I look at it, if I average 12 or 15 points and we win 63 games, then I'm an MVP candidate."

Nash, who replaced Marbury in Phoenix, is averaging 15.5 points for the 62-win Suns. "I think that's what I've got to do," said Marbury, who claimed he sat last night because of a bunion on his foot while coach Herb Williams said it was his sore knee tightening up.

"We've just got to win games. That's how you're going to be judged in the NBA. And I'm at the point in my career where I can deal with that. I can deal with getting criticized for not winning.

"That's what it boils down to, regardless of the other 11 people being on the team. But that seems to not have a factor. It's about Stephon Marbury, he didn't win again. If I could win by myself, believe me, I would try to do it every night. But that's not the case. So, for me, it's not about numbers."
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/21/2005  2:20 PM
Posted by TMS:

i tend to agree...he's talking a good game here, but his actions proved otherwise...if he actually believed what he's saying here, why hasn't he remained on the path he was on when he first game to NY (dishing to teammates first & looking to get everyone involved?)...

I don't know TMS. I think Marbs really tried to get guys involved all year long. How many low scoring first halfs did he have? I saw that as him trying to get guys going in the first half. After 2 quarters of that not working, he'd say: "F*ck it!" and then start trying to take over games.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/21/2005  2:54 PM
i don't agree...there was a statement game halfway into the season when Stephon said he'd be more aggressive looking for his shot & he said himself that was the way he was going to play from that point on...when he first came to the Knicks, he was dishing to KT, Van Horn & Doleac & everything looked to be clicking well...he was clearly making it a point to think dish first, scoring second...as time went on, he reverted back to the scoring first mentality, & that was clearly evident in the latter half of this season...what you said about him probably saying to himself "**** it!" is probably true, but that's my point...talk is cheap when the stuff you're saying here doesn't match w/your own actions this season.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/21/2005  4:44 PM

He was going to get blamed anyway. Smart move to say blame me when you know blame is already going to come. And the trade Marbury articles are going to come. And the Marbury hasn't won anything in his 9yrs in the NBA were going to come.

I see Marbury as a player thats long past due though. Im hoping this is finally rock bottom and it all comes together for him.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Bonn1997
USA
4/21/2005  11:50 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

Talk is cheap.

i tend to agree...he's talking a good game here, but his actions proved otherwise...if he actually believed what he's saying here, why hasn't he remained on the path he was on when he first game to NY (dishing to teammates first & looking to get everyone involved?)...he became a scoring first PG halfway into the season & never turned back...i like the fact that Marbury accepts blame for the season even though i don't hold him solely responsible, but to be a leader it takes more than words, it takes action & results.

Who's he going to pass to? Our 2nd best scorer hits 39% of his shots and no one else scores in the teens. It astonishing he could be 4th in the league in assists per game on *this* squad.
Allanfan20
USA
4/22/2005  12:00 AM
Dude, why do you keep saying he has nobody to pass to? Kurt, Sweetney, Tim and Crawford can all put it in. Malik can put it in from time to time and Taylor is a good scorer. He has guys to give the ball to.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
USA
4/22/2005  12:02 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Dude, why do you keep saying he has nobody to pass to? Kurt, Sweetney, Tim and Crawford can all put it in. Malik can put it in from time to time and Taylor is a good scorer. He has guys to give the ball to.
Okay; he has a bunch of below average starters to pass to. I bet 80% of PGs in the league have better scorers to pass to.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/22/2005 00:02:57]
Allanfan20
USA
4/22/2005  12:04 AM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

He was going to get blamed anyway. Smart move to say blame me when you know blame is already going to come. And the trade Marbury articles are going to come. And the Marbury hasn't won anything in his 9yrs in the NBA were going to come.

I see Marbury as a player thats long past due though. Im hoping this is finally rock bottom and it all comes together for him.

Like I said, I think Steph himself has been fine. I don't think he's been too unselfish or too selfish for that matter. Problem is, he doesn't seem to mix it up. Again, he's had a great season. But like I said, I don't think it really matters if he says BLAME ME.

BTW, Marbury is no longer untradable in Isiahs eyes it seems, as he said NOBODY is untradable.
Allanfan20
USA
4/22/2005  12:09 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Allanfan20:

Okay; he has a bunch of below average starters to pass to. I bet 80% of PGs in the league have better scorers to pass to.

But they are still solid players to give the ball to. Tim is among the leaders in 3 pt% or made or something like that, I believe. Shaq said KT is the best shooting PF in the league. It's not like they suck (Well, besides Tim, but he is still a good scorer when he wants). In fact, KT is just as reliable as anyone. He brings that pick and roll game Marbury loves. Marbury has guys to work with. But the makeup of the team overall is terrible, and nobody really compliments well, generally. The best tandem is prolly KT and Marbury. That should be your 3rd or 4th best tandem on your team. Not first.
Bonn1997
USA
4/22/2005  8:05 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Allanfan20:

But they are still solid players to give the ball to. Tim is among the leaders in 3 pt% or made or something like that, I believe. Shaq said KT is the best shooting PF in the league. It's not like they suck (Well, besides Tim, but he is still a good scorer when he wants). In fact, KT is just as reliable as anyone. He brings that pick and roll game Marbury loves. Marbury has guys to work with. But the makeup of the team overall is terrible, and nobody really compliments well, generally. The best tandem is prolly KT and Marbury. That should be your 3rd or 4th best tandem on your team. Not first.
Sure; he does have some options. If he didn't, he woudln't be a top assist player. But the majority of PGs still have a better SG to pass to; about two-thirds have better SF and PFs to pass to (counting Sweetney and Kurt both as PFs). If you're gonna compare Marbury to other PGs, you have to realize that most PGs are surrounded by better scorers at *every* positon.

Marbury still brought out the best in his teammates, though. The starters were all either at or well above their career scoring averages. They're just not good enough to win many games.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/22/2005 08:05:37]
Marbury: Blame me for season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy