Marbury at 2 guard... (article)
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/20/2005  2:20 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/301798p-258360c.html

There are whispers inside the organization that Isiah Thomas will either draft or sign a point guard this summer in order to move Marbury to shooting guard. Marbury, who is well aware that the media have made an issue of a possible position change, joked yesterday, "If it will make you all happy, I'm a two guard. I'm gonna be a two guard, all right? It doesn't matter who plays the two and who plays the point."
Its Frank Isola so those whispers he hears are probably some guy named Raj that sells Frank his gyros on the corner.

However one guy I am VERY high on in this draft is Raymod Felton. Here me out. We MUST come out of this draft with an A player. I dont know if Felton will be as good as a Francis type, but I see him as a Terrell Brandon at the least. He's uber athletic. He's an excellent shooter. He's tough, on BOTH sides of the ball. He does turn the ball over some, but its only because he gets out of controll attacking the rim with fury. He's got good size.. he many only be 6'0 or 6'1 (ESPN listing) but he's got a solid frame and is very strong.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/20/2005  2:25 PM
Anyone out of the NC program will succeed in this league. They are well trained, and most of all, the fact that they have won a championship will always stay with them. Tell me who was part of a college championship team that has yet to prove that he can be good in this league? I can name a lot of guys who have the total opposite. In fact a great majority of them have become allstars/superstars
The true Knickabocker..........
tomverve
Member: #878
4/20/2005  2:29 PM
Playing Marbury at 2 is less than ideal. He's improved his jumper this year, but it's still nothing to write home about. And from our 2, we need accurate perimeter shooting more than anything else. I'd much rather get Green or another more traditional 2 to pair with Marbury in the backcourt.

And christ, I hope Felton is not a Francis type, because then we'd just be duplicating Marbury. If we're going to dislodge Steph from starting PG, it should only be under two conditions: 1) the new PG is a better playmaker, more of a 'pure' point, and 2) Marbury gets traded. The return we could get by trading Steph is more valuable than what he could give us as a SG.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/20/2005  2:33 PM
tom, i completely agree...if Marbury isn't going to be the PG for this team, he needs to be traded...converting him to SG only creates more confusion for next season that we don't need to be dealing with.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
USA
4/20/2005  2:40 PM
Marb doesn't have to be our full time SG, I think that folks have misinterpreted what the intent of playing Marb at the SG position is. Marb at times need to take a breather, he is a scorer and we will always need that. Detroit and Denver have proved that you can actually have 2 PGs in the game, especially when you have a PG with a scorer's mentality. Marb is our starting PG, and that will not change. The consideration is mainly to free him up and have a real ball handler/orchestrator on the court when he really gets it going offensively. Isiah played that same role in Detroit, and he is trying to recreate that same 3 guards rotation here in N.Y.....
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  2:42 PM
dude, you don't use up a #7 overall pick to draft a PG just so your real starting PG can get a breather now & again from playing the Point.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/20/2005  2:45 PM
marbury to SG should have been experimented with in february and march - another test wasted this season. if we go that route, we need to beef up the frontcourt with long and defensive players to make up for the backcourt's height.

some guy named Raj that sells Frank his gyros

you see, now that's just wrong. why does his name have to be Raj? why can't it be steve or MIKE?!?!?!?

btw, is that the same Raj from what's happening?
fishmike
USA
4/20/2005  2:48 PM
2 guard doesnt have to the best shooter. Hell.. look at Sprewell, his jumper sucked. He would get hot every couple games but his offense was attacking the glass.

Who knows about Green? I dont. I have seen play 1 game. Lots of guys look great in HS all star games. Dont get me wrong... I'm not down on him, but I think Felton is a sure thing.

As for Marbury at 2 why get caught up in the role? Who plays the 1/2 for Washington, Chi or Mia? Before they lost Hill the Magic were playing very good with Nelson/Francis. Denver has played Boykins and Dre Miller together a ton this season. There are big advantages to playing two pg types.

Going back to the original point Felton is about as sure fire as it gets
fishmike
USA
4/20/2005  2:52 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

marbury to SG should have been experimented with in february and march - another test wasted this season. if we go that route, we need to beef up the frontcourt with long and defensive players to make up for the backcourt's height.

you see, now that's just wrong. why does his name have to be Raj? why can't it be steve or MIKE?!?!?!?

dude, thats Rodg... I'm talking about something short for Rajihimba Mehta.

Anyway the best Marbury has played for us was in the those two games last year against the Nets when we played Frank Williams and Marbury together in the backcourt together. Felton is a great shooter and great defender and great at attacking the ball. Both he and Marbury are going to be effective at either role playing together.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/20/2005  2:52 PM
I like felton, he plays with a chip on his shoulders and will compete on both ends, night in and out. Outside of the fact that he is very talented, he is mentally tough...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
4/20/2005  2:58 PM
Posted by tkf:

I like felton, he plays with a chip on his shoulders and will compete on both ends, night in and out. Outside of the fact that he is very talented, he is mentally tough...
thank you.

Look... this is a 30 win team. Regardless of the horrific state of the roster I consider us in complete rebuilding mode. A tough 2 way player and a leader like Felton is a good chip to start with. I see him as a more athletic Hinrich
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/20/2005  2:58 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by djsunyc:

dude, thats Rodg... I'm talking about something short for Rajihimba Mehta.

Anyway the best Marbury has played for us was in the those two games last year against the Nets when we played Frank Williams and Marbury together in the backcourt together. Felton is a great shooter and great defender and great at attacking the ball. Both he and Marbury are going to be effective at either role playing together.

and it really worked well on the other side of the ball when frank was guarding kidd. if felton can play D, then go get him. we need a defender in the backcourt badly, especially the way marbury takes breaks on D.
tomverve
Member: #878
4/20/2005  2:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

2 guard doesnt have to the best shooter. Hell.. look at Sprewell, his jumper sucked. He would get hot every couple games but his offense was attacking the glass.

But deep perimter shooting is a weakness on this team. Spree's Knicks had Houston to gun everyone down, and LJ's ability to nail it from the SF/PF spot helped too. Our only 3 point shooters are Marbury, JC, and TT. Marbs is not much of a downtown bomber in quality or quantity, JC has a poor %, and you never know when TT will show up. We absolutely need good perimeter shooting to open up driving lanes and post up opportunities.
Who knows about Green? I dont. I have seen play 1 game. Lots of guys look great in HS all star games. Dont get me wrong... I'm not down on him, but I think Felton is a sure thing.

The perimeter oriented HS kids who get picked top 10 have historically turned out to be sure things. There have been HS bigmen who've been busts to varying degrees, probably because teams were seduced by their size. But HS guards who go very high in the draft have always payed dividends.

Of course, there's always the chance Green won't be all that great... but I'd rather swing for a home run here than go for a single or a double. We need some way to acquire All Star/superstar talent, and our opportunities to do that via trades or free agency are going to be limited in coming years. If we have the chance to get one in the draft, I say we should go for it.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
diderotn
USA
4/20/2005  3:00 PM
Here is the problem with our current roster, and that is the reason why Marburry's production has been criticised; we can't afford to have to poorous defender together at the 1 and the 2. Both Marb and the combo of Crawff and Houston are very bad defenders. For Marburry to be as effective as he can be, the SG has to be a hell of a defender. That is why Doug Christie is a good fit in my opinion. He can handle the ball beautifully, and defend whoever that he is guarding. Draft a SG/PG, acquire Chrisie as our starting SG, and draft Centers.....Christie has great court vision, and if in the right system, he can be an appreciated contributor.
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  3:07 PM
The perimeter oriented HS kids who get picked top 10 have historically turned out to be sure things. There have been HS bigmen who've been busts to varying degrees, probably because teams were seduced by their size. But HS guards who go very high in the draft have always payed dividends.

Of course, there's always the chance Green won't be all that great... but I'd rather swing for a home run here than go for a single or a double. We need some way to acquire All Star/superstar talent, and our opportunities to do that via trades or free agency are going to be limited in coming years. If we have the chance to get one in the draft, I say we should go for it.

that's pretty much how i look at it too...we need to get MAX value out of this pick at all costs.
fishmike
USA
4/20/2005  3:42 PM
then we probably just dont see eye on Felton's value. I'm sure we will learn plenty more about Green when the workouts start. If he's a Kobe/Tmac clone then great.. you wont see any complaints out of me. Hell... I will be pretty happy with anyone we draft at 7 so long we arent trading the pick for Eric Dampier.

I just love Felton's game. Reminds me of Terrell Brandon with a big chip on his shoulder. I think the next best comparison is Kirk Heinrich, only more athletic and aggresive attacking the rim.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/20/2005  4:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by tkf:

thank you.

Look... this is a 30 win team. Regardless of the horrific state of the roster I consider us in complete rebuilding mode. A tough 2 way player and a leader like Felton is a good chip to start with. I see him as a more athletic Hinrich

Hinrich is a good player, he shoots 39% from the field, but you would not know it because he competes and excells in so many other areas, that is what we need, ariza does the same thing also, except his game is still unpolished... guys like felton, coupled with a pick like warrick will make the knicks a better team already, if you look from a running and defensive standpoint, Felton, ariza, warrick, marbs(the weakest defensive link) and a free agent like gadaurich, we would have a team that runs the ball like hell and can defend like crazy. We would not play a half court game since none of these players are really half court players except marbs, but you would have some tough players out there.. I like felton a lot, after they won he said" he wanted to prove to everyone wrong who said that UNC was just a talented bunch of players and not a team" He looked like he was ready to go back out on the court for another quarter and kicks illinois azz... That is the player I want on my team, and the key is that he has the skill to back it up..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/20/2005  4:12 PM
with our size lacking up front, I don't see how you can afford to have two midgets in the back court. If marbs rebounded the ball like Kidd does, then, I'd say great.

I think Crawford is best suited to the combo off the bench role that so many here want him to assume- you can't have three 1s and no 2s.
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  4:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

then we probably just dont see eye on Felton's value. I'm sure we will learn plenty more about Green when the workouts start. If he's a Kobe/Tmac clone then great.. you wont see any complaints out of me. Hell... I will be pretty happy with anyone we draft at 7 so long we arent trading the pick for Eric Dampier.

I just love Felton's game. Reminds me of Terrell Brandon with a big chip on his shoulder. I think the next best comparison is Kirk Heinrich, only more athletic and aggresive attacking the rim.

i haven't seen enough of Felton to say 1 way or the other, but from what i've been hearing about this Green kid i think that's the way i'd rather go...i want someone w/superstar potential w/that pic...someone who has the potential to be a Dwayne Wade type player that can dominate in this league someday...not someone who'll be a solid starter w/allstar potential like a Terrell Brandon in his prime...we already have a star calibre PG...if he's going to stay, i'd rather not use the pick on another PG, unless we're talking about a Jason Kidd type player w/triple-double type potential...of course, no one knows for sure what you'd get w/the HS kid, but the last several phenoms that have been taken out of HS have turned out to be the real deal, & i think Josh Smith is well on his way towards superstardom as well someday...i don't want to miss out on that.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/20/2005  6:42 PM
why not use our late pick on a backcourt player?
we've got the #7 to use on someone with height.
#30 or #53 could be a defensive presence in the backcourt.
why not?
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
Marbury at 2 guard... (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy