[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would anyone prefer to see Crawford stay & Marbury go?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/20/2005  11:53 AM
i would actually like to see Jamal get a shot at leading this team, but that would mean Marbury would need to be traded, which i just don't see Isiah doing at this point...& i hate the idea of converting Marbury to SG next season so i don't even consider that one.

1 - hypothetically, what if Isiah worked out a trade w/LA?

Marbury & KT to LA for Odom, Grant & their lottery pick

2 - then drafts 2 young athletic phenoms like Gerald Green & Hakeem Warrick w/the 2 lottery picks

3 - signs a young C who can run the floor, play D, block shots & finish on the fastbreak w/the MLE (Gadzuric)

we'd have a very nice looking young team going forward that would fit a style of play that is in line w/what Isiah's been preaching since he got here:

C - Gadzuric (MLE)
PF - Warrick
SF - Odom
SG - Green
PG - Crawford
6 - Ariza
7 - JYD

that would be 1 exciting team to watch w/a great future outlook imho...of course it will never happen because Isiah has hitched his entire reputation on Marbury.

an added bonus is it gets the Knicks under the cap in 2008 (or VERY close to it) in time to be players in the Lebron James Sweepstakes i believe.

[Edited by - TMS on 04/20/2005 12:29:49]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/20/2005  11:55 AM
Crawfford goes and Marburry stays...

Crawfford throughout the years that he has been in the league is still not able to comeup with a good shot selection. Marburry is a superstar, Craw is still a project...
The true Knickabocker..........
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/20/2005  11:57 AM
I don't want to see Marbury go just so Crawford can run the team, but if we could get a guy like Odom for him, even if you forget about turning Kurt into Grant and their lotto pick, I would jump on it.

Marburry is a superstar
I do have to disagree with that. Superstars can carry their teams for a period of time. Marbury's a very talented player, but a superstar he is not.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 04/20/2005 11:59:35]
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  11:59 AM
superstars are guys like Duncan, Iverson, Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Lebron...i put Marbury in the 2nd tier of NBA star players along w/guys like Ray Allen

anyway, don't deviate from the point of the thread...this is about creating an identity for this team & a direction that nets us a brighter future.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/20/2005  12:01 PM
Marbles basketball IQ is much higher than Craw's. Marbles just needs a good coach now. He hasn't had one since he's been in NYC.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/20/2005  12:05 PM
Marbury has proven that he wants to learn how to run a team and I have faith that he can learn. Sometimes, getting rid of the superstar for a bunch of very good players is the better route, and I would definitely take TMSs route. Also, Crawford and Marbury's style seem to conflict as one wants to play halfcourt (Marbury) and one wants to play the fast break (Crawford). I am also not a big fan of putting Marbury at the 2. He's a PG and he wouldn't be able to guard any SG.

This doesn't mean I give up on Marbury. I have no reason to. I just think this is a good route to go (TMS's plan specifically I mean.)
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  12:08 PM
Crawford is still at a stage in his career where he can be taught to refine his game...Marbury at this stage in the game is basically what he is, a great scoring, penetrate & dish style PG who may not be a good fit w/what the plan according to Isiah is, which is to get young, athletic & run an uptempo style game...if you want to stay the course w/Marbury fine, but you'll need to surround him w/players who can help this team get better NOW...i'm looking at this from a perspective of maybe cutting our losses & going the youth route to see if that improves the future of this franchise...i think that roster i posted would be a nice start from that perspective.
diderotn
USA
4/20/2005  12:12 PM
As much as I would love to agree with you about Crawfford, I will quickly point out to you that Crawf has been in the league for 5 years and his game hasn't changed a bit. On the other hand, Marburry is already a superstar and most of all, he has proved that he can learn. Get rid of Crawfford, because his street mentality will never change...

Posted by TMS:

Crawford is still at a stage in his career where he can be taught to refine his game...Marbury at this stage in the game is basically what he is, a great scoring, penetrate & dish style PG who may not be a good fit w/what the plan according to Isiah is, which is to get young, athletic & run an uptempo style game...if you want to stay the course w/Marbury fine, but you'll need to surround him w/players who can help this team get better NOW...i'm looking at this from a perspective of maybe cutting our losses & going the youth route to see if that improves the future of this franchise...i think that roster i posted would be a nice start from that perspective.
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  12:16 PM
he's been playing 7 years of organized basketball, which is about the same as a normal player graduating from College has...he's still learning the game...Marbury is a great player i already said that...no need to point that out to me.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/20/2005  12:16 PM
I have to disagree. Crawford has shown this season he is very willing to learn and has made some good progress in adapting his game. When he's been playing PG while Marbs sits, he's shown some good judgement with the ball. If we could finally give him clear and defined role vs. switching him between a passing and shooting role, I think he could impress a number of people.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 04/20/2005 12:21:00]
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  12:19 PM
agreed...i saw him show some flashes of superstardom when he was allowed to lead in Chicago...he just needs to learn how to harness his game somewhat...he's been giving the coaches his full & undivided attention & willingness to work on his game, & no one EVER complains about his teammates not liking him...Marbury just has this bad aura about him for some reason, i don't know if he'll ever be that great of a fit here...i could be wrong but it might be better to cut our losses & go in another direction.

[Edited by - TMS on 04/20/2005 12:20:37]
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  12:28 PM
btw, i'll tell you what else this trade does...it gets the Knicks under the cap in 2008 (or VERY close to it) in time to be players in the Lebron James Sweepstakes i believe.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/20/2005  1:07 PM
Posted by TMS:

btw, i'll tell you what else this trade does...it gets the Knicks under the cap in 2008 (or VERY close to it) in time to be players in the Lebron James Sweepstakes i believe.

thats all i care about...thats why I wanted Marbury traded after last year's playoff embarrassment
diderotn
USA
4/20/2005  1:24 PM
The minute you elevate Crawfford to PG or SG and give the green light with the ball, he will do just one thing with it, that is shooting it. Marb on the other hand look to setup his players and penetrate when he has a clear cut. Marb is much more durable because of the way he is built, and most of all, he is much more polish than Crawf will never be. Crawfford is a street baller, and I don't see that ever come out of him. He is what he is. Be patient and build around Marburry. Put a good coach around to tell what is right from wrong, and most of all, give him the green light to shoot the ball in the final seconds of the game. He needs athletes around him....
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/20/2005  2:01 PM
What about keeping both and see what happens? The Knicks were playing very good until Crawford had to sit because of an injury. After that, everything went wrong. What about giving both another chance, its not like either is easy to deal away anyway. I think that Steph deserves a chance to prove that he isn't really a loser and the only way I would love that to happen is here. If we were NBA players and our only dream was to win a championship in NY but we hadn't the right supporting cast, we would want another chance to win. Its our biggest dream. We wouldn't want to be traded again for something we know we are not. I believe Marbury, the one we have that is more mature and more clever, is a winner, only on something that's not yet a team.

Crawford is a player with great potential to be a superstar, most people agree with that. What he is now is a player that wants to win but doesn't know yet how to make his team better. Sometimes he showed us how good he could be when he had a better shot selection, when he had to set up the players, etc. He can be a great player, he only needs time to make it happen. He is a combo guard, and we can live with that at SG.

What if the real problem of this team wasn't Craw or Marbs? What if we really lacked a real Center, a real post up player? What if we really lacked someone to play post defense, to block shots? What if we needed a real SF instead of the fake one we have in TT?

Maybe we would've been better without the Marbury trade. Maybe it was a mistake to deal for Crawford. The fact is that we have both and we can win with both, they only need better players around him. Craw can learn to play defense. Marb is ready to lead a team, he only needs one. Improve the cast and we should all see the results...
Knicks_Fan
TMS
USA
4/20/2005  2:17 PM
What if the real problem of this team wasn't Craw or Marbs? What if we really lacked a real Center, a real post up player? What if we really lacked someone to play post defense, to block shots? What if we needed a real SF instead of the fake one we have in TT?

i thought i sorta addressed all those things in my plan...it's just an alternative viewpoint...was interested in getting some feedback on it...this is not to say i want Marbury traded at all costs...i wish it would work out w/him here also...i'm just not sure it ever will to the extent we all are hoping for.
diderotn
USA
4/20/2005  2:21 PM
As I have said im one of my posts, the very first thing that Isiah has to do is: hire a coach with an identity and style; second, draft players that would fit that particular style; third, get rid of Kurt Thomas, Sweetney, TT, Penny, and Houston...
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/20/2005  3:00 PM
I don't want to get rid of marbs to let craw run the team, but to say craw will never change his game is not fair, I think he has changed somewhat this year. Another thing, craw has also set up his teamates, just look at the games where he has had 9 assists, 6, assists, and a host of other games like that... Craw can be an electric player, I remember a couple of years ago, it was the game VS the bulls where crawford just torched us that led IT to pull the trigger and get marbury, and he cited games like the one vs the bulls where craw dominated our PG's that made it so urgent to upgrade that position with a talent like marbury.. I honestly think if he could of gotten crawford first, he would have done so..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Would anyone prefer to see Crawford stay & Marbury go?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy