Member: #303
4/20/2005  3:12 AM
only top players

1996 Jermaine Oneal, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Predrag Stojakovich bIG Z
1997 Tracy McGrady
1998 Dirk, Paul Pierce Larry Hughes
1999 Rip, Shawn Marion Correy Maggette Artest Kirilenko
2000 Jamal Crawford Desmond Mason Q-Rich Joel Pryzbila Jamal Magliore
2001 Joe Johnson Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph Troy Murphy Sam Dalembart Tony Parker
2002 Nene Caron Butler Amare Stoudemire Carlos Boozer Tayshaun Prince Chris Wilcox
2003 Kirk Hinrich Mike Sweetney Mikeal Pietrus Leandro Barbosa
2004 Josh and JR Smith Biendrins Jefferson Sebastian Telfair Andre Iguloda

so you are talking about each year there is either an nBA elite player/ all star/close to all star etc.. at pick 7 or lower. yes, it would be better to be top 3, but this pure proof that solid scouting can lead you to a fantastic player.

the last time we had pick 7 we ended up giving away Marcus Camby, and what couldve been wither Nene Amare or Caron for Mcdyess who didnt last through pre-season.

I read this piece with Pat Riley who evaluated 12 lottery pick trades, in which 10 were failures for the team giving the pick up.

someone is saying trade pick 7 for ron artest+ take back a shtty contract for SEPERATE asets of Sweetney Tim Thomas and pick 7.

In the same position in 1998, we gave up 33 YO John Starks, Chris Mills and Terry Cummings for Sprewell. If Sprewell bombed from his incident, well, we wouldnt have lost much.
In this case, when you are talking about a combustible repeat offender who has serious temper problems all the way back to hS, well-documented, there is no justification to even think about paying a premium for someone who could be out for good with one more mis step.

Sweetney is progressing, Tim Thomas is an ending contract and not a bad player at all. Pick 7 could be a great player, and will either help our size or give us a very athletic G

what the team needs desperately and has needed since we went to the finals in 1999, is a well-executed 3-4 player pick draft

we hav a lot of new probelsm that involve redundancy, the bottom line is Isiah loaded us up with way to many smallish PFs and I hope we can get rid of some. we need a new direction with new coaches and some frsh young athletic players.
Allan Houston CANNOT be an albatross anymore
Kurt Thomas's time in NY is up, I like KT and I think he is under-rated in many ways, but sometimes a change is necessary for both the club and player.
I still hold out for getting into the top 3 in the lotto so that shuts up any dumb talk and HOPEFULLY gives management some no-brainer decisions. sometimes I believe the less they think, the better we will be off.
I will push for Nate M to be coach since he did not sign. Hes young, hes tough hes proven and he will cost no compensation other than his contract.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/20/2005  8:49 AM
Wow this has become your new obsession. Actually it was the majority (look at the poll) who would trade the #7 pick for Artest. You can't list who was available after #7 to not trade the pick; using that reasoning you could justify not trading the #57 pick because guys like Ben Wallace and Manu Ginobili have been available after #56.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/20/2005  8:52 AM
Briggs, I agree. The draft is crucial. Forget RonRon.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/20/2005  9:40 AM
BRIGGS, i agree w/every word you just said...if Isiah doesn't get max value out of this pick this year, we're seriously screwed.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/20/2005  9:46 AM
I do believe that Isiah is doing his utmost to get the best out of his first real draft with the Knicks this season. He has people scouting the world, and most of all, he is very much involve with the scouting himself. Most GMs just wait around and allow the scouts to do the scouting instead, but Isiah is very different....That is why we need some more picks this season, and I think that we can actually get us some more if we play it smartly..
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/20/2005  10:18 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Tim Thomas is an ending contract and not a bad player at all.

good lord. it's finally happened. all those nights on the roof trying to position your satellite just right to catch the end of the barcelona division B euro youth 10 and under league games for the 2015 draft has finally fried your brain.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/20/2005  10:35 AM
He's not actually BAD. He even has the ability to be great. He's just a freaking moron and doesn't use his talent whatsoever except when he wants. At this point, I would say he's mediocre.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
4/20/2005  10:40 AM
And I agree with Briggs 100%. In fact, he has left out many players such as Ben Wallace, Michael Redd and from earlier years, Nick Van Exel, Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston. It's almost certain that there will be guys available.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
4/20/2005  10:44 AM
i have ZERO fears about whom we pick in the draft b/c i actually TRUST isiah's judgement on drafting players. so if it's petro, may, green, or even me, then i'll trust it.

the thing i'm SCARED about is him trading the pick instead of using it. but all this scouting tells me he's keeping it.
Allanfan20
USA
4/20/2005  10:52 AM
I'm not scared about the draft either. Unless we win the lottery and draft Warrick with the #1, I see no reason why we should fear Isiah with the draft choices. That is unless we trade the pick, like you said. What I am worried about is Isiah's trading. He can totally negate his drafting skills and still have us all call for his head come Septemberish if he makes the wrong swap.

Heck, there is an example of this happening. We all thought Layden had a solid draft when he drafted Lampe and Sweetney and all thought it would be best to just get off his back until he Fed it up again. Well, the next move, he Fed it up by trading KVH for Sprewell.

[Edited by - Allanfan20 on 04/20/2005 10:54:25]
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/20/2005  11:03 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i have ZERO fears about whom we pick in the draft b/c i actually TRUST isiah's judgement on drafting players. so if it's petro, may, green, or even me, then i'll trust it.

the thing i'm SCARED about is him trading the pick instead of using it. but all this scouting tells me he's keeping it.
I agree with all of that except for one difference. On draft day, if I hear Isiah has selected djsunyc, I'm going to be scared as hell.
djsunyc
4/20/2005  11:09 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by djsunyc:

I agree with all of that except for one difference. On draft day, if I hear Isiah has selected djsunyc, I'm going to be scared as hell.

man, whatchutalkinbout? people tell me i got game like glen rice back in the day...or was that condoleeza rice?

to quote the great tim hardaway "i gots skeeeeeeiiiiiillllzzzzz"
Allanfan20
USA
4/20/2005  11:14 AM
Here's another Tim Hardaway quote that made me laugh. "I hate hate hate hate hate the Knicks." and yes, it was 5 hates b/c I remember the writer commenting on it.

Tim Hardaway is just like Miller. Great player. You can only appreciate him if you appreciate bball, but as a Knick fan, you hate him. That is, unless you realize we beat his ars 3 of 4 years in the playoffs.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/20/2005  11:19 AM
Keep the damn lottery pick. I want more 1st round picks.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/20/2005  11:28 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

And I agree with Briggs 100%. In fact, he has left out many players such as Ben Wallace, Michael Redd and from earlier years, Nick Van Exel, Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston. It's almost certain that there will be guys available.
Houston was a lottery pick. His first two years in the NBA he was considered a lottery bust by the Pistons.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/20/2005  11:32 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Here's another Tim Hardaway quote that made me laugh. "I hate hate hate hate hate the Knicks." and yes, it was 5 hates b/c I remember the writer commenting on it.

Tim Hardaway is just like Miller. Great player. You can only appreciate him if you appreciate bball, but as a Knick fan, you hate him. That is, unless you realize we beat his ars 3 of 4 years in the playoffs.
Yep. Those two teams generally hated each other but they had a lot of repsect for each other. The same with the Pacers. Biggest problem with the NBA now adays no real rivalry.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/20/2005  11:43 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

He's not actually BAD. He even has the ability to be great. He's just a freaking moron and doesn't use his talent whatsoever except when he wants. At this point, I would say he's mediocre.
Man, even when his offense is okay at 14 PPG, his rebounding is awful and his defense are awful with guys shooting around 56% against him. He's probably the worst defensive SF in the league. He actually IS bad.
Allanfan20
USA
4/20/2005  11:43 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Allanfan20:

Houston was a lottery pick. His first two years in the NBA he was considered a lottery bust by the Pistons.

The point was he was picked way after 7 at #11 or 10 or something like that. Just after Lindsey Hunter.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/20/2005  12:46 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

Keep the damn lottery pick. I want more 1st round picks.
yeah I would do that this year because there are so many bigs you almost can't lose, and picking twice under 20 would be magical for us.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/20/2005  12:50 PM
But to reply to the actual topic, i think you may have swayed me, I'm still unsure. THe draft player could be a bust, but I believe in Zeke so I don't think thats likely. Artest will help us immensely immediately. But if he flips out, we owe him alot of money, whereas if the draft pick is a bust, it is cheap. Not to mention giving up sweets, and tt. But I always said that if we could get another pick I would do it.
Guys who couldve been picked with the 7th pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy