[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Artest vs. the #7 pick

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
Would you trade our lottery pick at #7 for Artest?
Yes, Artest's probably better than the player we'll get @ #7
No, Artest's better but he has too many off-the-court problems
No, we'll get a player better than Artest at #7
View Results

Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/20/2005  12:11 AM
Comparing Spree to Artest is definitely something you'd have to research by looking beyond the stats and just watching the players. They were BOTH shutdown defenders big time. It took Vince Carter until the very last game of the 2000 playoffs to finally figure out the defense of Spree. That's 8 playoff games. And that was when Vince was healthy. Artest is probably capable like that too, but I would say in terms of offense, Spree gets the edge before and after GS, b/c he was a terrific team player and was consistently super aggresive. And he was the team leader. Artest is not the leader of the Pacers. O'Neal and Miller are. And he's been known for not playing with his teammates on the offense. I would take the younger Spree over Artest in an instant., and I wouldn't give so much like TT, the #7 and Sweetney for Artest. Way too much for a headcase like him. Way too much. We didn't even give up ANY picks in the Spree trade.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/20/2005  12:12 AM
how will we afford to legitimately solidify the frontcourt so that we becomea contender with Artest and all the other Huge contracts on the team? I'll take Green who will be a lot cheaper, a potential star and it would leave the chips and flexibility to solidify the frontcourt so that we can contend for a title not the 7th or 8th seed and an early playoffexit.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/20/2005  12:31 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

how will we afford to legitimately solidify the frontcourt so that we becomea contender with Artest and all the other Huge contracts on the team? I'll take Green who will be a lot cheaper, a potential star and it would leave the chips and flexibility to solidify the frontcourt so that we can contend for a title not the 7th or 8th seed and an early playoffexit.
Assuming we can get Green. And thats a huge assumption.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
4/20/2005  12:59 AM
The Knicks would still never win a championship with Artest.

The only way to go is to blow up this terrible team.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/20/2005  1:13 AM
Posted by Rich:

The Knicks would still never win a championship with Artest.

The only way to go is to blow up this terrible team.
Well since Rich seems to know exactly what would happen in the future, why don't we make him GM?
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
4/20/2005  2:00 AM
the bottom line is, are you gonna get a player better than artest with the #7 pick? i think sweetney is very overrated and if you have a chance to get one of the top 2 perimeter defenders in the league who happens to be a 20 ppg scorer, I think you take it...our goal is to draft someone who will hopefully be that good...why not just take the proven player? how much better do you think our #7 pick will be? Sweetney has his moments but overall i think you need to take a chance to get ron artest. Briggs, you might be happy with tim thomas at the 3 but I can't stand these punks that don't play defense.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/20/2005  9:33 AM
no, that's not the bottomline...the bottomline is are you willing to risk giving up all that to get a player who can blow up at any moment? no one's disputing that Artest is a very good player, but there's also no disputing that he comes w/huge issues psychologically...compared to Spree's choking of PJ Carlessimo, Artest's case is way more severe...you can see it when he's interviewed, he's just simply not all there...there's a few bats flying loose in his belfry...so are you willing to give up a #7 pick for a guy who can fly off the handle again at any moment, or simply decide he doesn't want to play ball anymore? some of us have stated that we don't think it's worth the risk. i don't see the point in debating this when it's purely a judgement call.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/20/2005  9:50 AM
the comparison to the Mcdyss trade is fair- your giving up a good young player (Sweets/Camby) a top pick (Green?/Nene) and getting back a GIANT question mark in Mcdyss (bum knee- known issue) and Artest (Screw loose- known issue)

the difference is that mcdyss is still playing in the league, albeit in a reduced capacity. The next blow up for Artest & he will be playing in Europe.

This suggested scenario is the exact kind of deal that has gotten this knick team where it is- up a creek, no paddle.

Artest vs. the #7 pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy