[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Artest vs. the #7 pick

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
Would you trade our lottery pick at #7 for Artest?
Yes, Artest's probably better than the player we'll get @ #7
No, Artest's better but he has too many off-the-court problems
No, we'll get a player better than Artest at #7
View Results

Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/19/2005  8:29 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by BRIGGS:

I dont want to base my team on a guy who with one more blow up is done.

if it was a sprewell deal, I would do it. thats pretty much it. there is no difference in talent level between sprewell in his prime and Artest, in fact Sprewell was probably the better player.
ooohhhh, I don't agree here. Ron Artest is probably the best mna to man defender in the league at his position. I don't think you could ever say that about Spreewell. Spree's offensive game was more developed, but give ron ron a second.

Also Ron isn't in his prime yet, he is still peaking.

You can go back and look at stats if you didnt see Sprewell play when he was young, but Sprewell was a much better all-around player than Ron. I mean he was first team ALL NBA at age 23 and was on two or three high level all nba defensive teams either 2 or 3.

When we acquired Sprewell, prior to him choking PJ, he was a 24 point 6.5 assists almost 5 rebounds 2 steal player who shot 45%

Ron Artest has not had any years like Sprewell during his time in the nBA at the same age. On top of that Artest has been much much worse in terms of his behaviour and the risk involved with him now.

easy there Briggs. Spree put up those kind of stats on terrible Golden State teams. Artest plays on the same championship conending team as O'neal.

Artest is a much better defensive stopper. its not even comparable. All sprewell did better was run the floor

thats pretty stupid as well. How many games did the Ron Artest Bulls win? Ron averaged 18 points one time in 6 full years. Spree was a main catalyst for the Knicks to get to the 1999 finals, the first year he started the GS Warriors won 50 games and then went into oblivion with injuries a cheap owner and bad trades--namely webber.

Although its not true lets call them even.

Is pick 7 Tim Thomas and Mike Sweetney sound anything like 33 John starks Chris Mills and Terry cummings? NO!

the Mcdyess analogy was good. It blew up in our face. If sprewell blew up, guess what? we didnt give up much! understand?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
4/19/2005  8:37 PM
I'd take a chance on Artest, but I wouldn't bend over backwards to do it. You got the feeling Spree's choking thing was kind of an isolated incident. He's been a pain in the ass wherever he's been, but the choking thing seemed like more of a flareup.

Artest... well, Barkley's right about Artest. He's genuinely got a screw loose. He's such a dominant talent (better than Spree IMO), but you have to seriously worry about chemistry issues with him on your team, and also about if he'll stay sane enough to not get suspended again for something. I can see him cracking in a big pressure situation, easy. I'd love to have him, but it's way too risky to break the bank over him. I think I'd rather hold onto #7, especially if we could get Green.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
BRIGGS
4/19/2005  8:39 PM
and one more thing--just using common sense

Im very fine with Tim Thomas trevor Ariza and the combination of malik and JYD at SF

we need to address size athletiscm another high quality G and a back up PG.

i just think the younger knick fans want instant gratification and think that there is always an easier route. remember the lesson from Mcdyess

lets have an explosive draft
lets see if we can add a dynamic 3rd guard and a nice back up PG and some size and increase team athletiscm.

RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  8:40 PM
unlike Sprewell, Artest's offense took longer to blossom but last year's 18pts while playing with O'neal was no fluke by averaging 24 frickin points this season!

Sprewell at 28, 29 years old couldn't averaged 18 playing next to Allan Frickin Houston!
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/19/2005  8:40 PM
Posted by tomverve:

I'd take a chance on Artest, but I wouldn't bend over backwards to do it. You got the feeling Spree's choking thing was kind of an isolated incident. He's been a pain in the ass wherever he's been, but the choking thing seemed like more of a flareup.

Artest... well, Barkley's right about Artest. He's genuinely got a screw loose. He's such a dominant talent (better than Spree IMO), but you have to seriously worry about chemistry issues with him on your team, and also about if he'll stay sane enough to not get suspended again for something. I can see him cracking in a big pressure situation, easy. I'd love to have him, but it's way too risky to break the bank over him. I think I'd rather hold onto #7, especially if we could get Green.

Your right Tom. I think I want to revise my earlier post and no, I wouldn't do it in a second because I'm forgetting that at Pick #7 or higher we could be getting a franchise frount-court player in Chris Taft. If Taft, Marvin and Bogut, Greene are off the board when it comes to the Knicks turn to pick, them I wouldn't have a problem with picking a player for the Pacers and then trading him in a package to get Artest.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  8:45 PM
I don't want anything to do with someone who's going to ask for time off in the middle of the season to work on a rap record with Jay-Z or something. Especially for our lottery pick! He's got way too many screws loose!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
USA
4/19/2005  8:54 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by BRIGGS:

if it was a sprewell deal, I would do it. thats pretty much it. there is no difference in talent level between sprewell in his prime and Artest, in fact Sprewell was probably the better player.
ooohhhh, I don't agree here. Ron Artest is probably the best mna to man defender in the league at his position. I don't think you could ever say that about Spreewell. Spree's offensive game was more developed, but give ron ron a second.

You can go back and look at stats if you didnt see Sprewell play when he was young, but Sprewell was a much better all-around player than Ron. I mean he was first team ALL NBA at age 23 and was on two or three high level all nba defensive teams either 2 or 3.

When we acquired Sprewell, prior to him choking PJ, he was a 24 point 6.5 assists almost 5 rebounds 2 steal player who shot 45%

Ron Artest has not had any years like Sprewell during his time in the nBA at the same age. On top of that Artest has been much much worse in terms of his behaviour and the risk involved with him now.

easy there Briggs. Spree put up those kind of stats on terrible Golden State teams. Artest plays on the same championship conending team as O'neal.

Artest is a much better defensive stopper. its not even comparable. All sprewell did better was run the floor

thats pretty stupid as well. How many games did the Ron Artest Bulls win? Ron averaged 18 points one time in 6 full years. Spree was a main catalyst for the Knicks to get to the 1999 finals, the first year he started the GS Warriors won 50 games and then went into oblivion with injuries a cheap owner and bad trades--namely webber.

Although its not true lets call them even.

Is pick 7 Tim Thomas and Mike Sweetney sound anything like 33 John starks Chris Mills and Terry cummings? NO!

the Mcdyess analogy was good. It blew up in our face. If sprewell blew up, guess what? we didnt give up much! understand?
Guns is pretty stupid and I'm crazy and I sound foolish? It sounds like you need a hug today.

You give up much less to get Sprewell after suspension because as everyone's stated, he was older and not as good as Artest.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 20:55:40]
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  8:57 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

and one more thing--just using common sense

Im very fine with Tim Thomas trevor Ariza and the combination of malik and JYD at SF

we need to address size athletiscm another high quality G and a back up PG.

i just think the younger knick fans want instant gratification and think that there is always an easier route. remember the lesson from Mcdyess

lets have an explosive draft
lets see if we can add a dynamic 3rd guard and a nice back up PG and some size and increase team athletiscm.
Oh, now I get it. It took me a while to figure you out on this thread, but after I read the bold part, I realized you were just joking around
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/19/2005  9:00 PM
way too much to give up for a high risk proposition like Artest...i agree fully w/BRIGGS here...i'd give up KT & the late 1st rounder like he suggested, but not the lottery pick.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  9:15 PM
even if we did get Artest we would still need to solidy the frontcourt in order to be a legitimate contender but we won't be able to with so many big contracts on the roster. If we're going to get a big time guard/SF let it be Green who will be a lot cheaper and keep our chips in place to solidify the frontcourt
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/19/2005  9:21 PM
2 things to consider.
1. Where we will be picking, and who is on the board at the time.
2. Can we get another pick anywhere between 13 and 20?

That is really what I would need to know to make this trade. If we can accomplish #2 and get an atheletic big talent there like warrik or petro or Frye, or any of the young big guys, I do it.

If we win the lotto, you obviously don't trade that for a risk, you trade that for a sure thing.

But Ron ron lost 5 million this year, regardless of how many screws he's got loose, I think he learned a very important lesson. He may have costed Indiana and Reggie a trip to the finals as well.
BRIGGS
4/19/2005  9:36 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

2 things to consider.

That is really what I would need to know to make this trade. If we can accomplish #2 and get an atheletic big talent there like warrik or petro or Frye, or any of the young big guys, I do it.

If we win the lotto, you obviously don't trade that for a risk, you trade that for a sure thing.

But Ron ron lost 5 million this year, regardless of how many screws he's got loose, I think he learned a very important lesson. He may have costed Indiana and Reggie a trip to the finals as well.

sports has a history of drug attacks or nuts losing a lot of money

lets take mike tyson for example career earnings near 400mm and hes broke because hes crazy. im not saying ron is tyson at all, but we have seen ron take a camera that cost 250,00 and smash it run up into the stands and fight among a variety of other altercations. the history is scary--the risk is surely there.

anyone can think sprewell or artest are the better player in their prime, it doesnt matter because they are close.

if you look at the model--the past compensation for a similar scenario--the proposed transaction of a lottery pick Tim Thomas Mike Sweetney + taking back a sht contract is insane
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/19/2005  10:22 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by BRIGGS:

Im just telling you like this, Sprewell at the same age was a better player. not only was he a great offensive player who was a good passer and rebounder from the 2, he was a tough nosed 2 defender and was always high in the league in steals. I mean he was 1st TEAM all NBA at 23, Ron has not been close to that.

When you are saying Id give up a 7pick Tim Thomas and Mike Sweetney for a VERY similar scenario in which we gave up John Starks, Chris Mills and Terry Cummings, you sound foolish[nothing personal]. You are not discounting his problems at all here, and that is major.

Sprewell was the better player and atleast EVEN, but not really spree was better--yet in this case you want to give them 22 year old Sweetney pick 7 AND Tim Thomas, sorry but your are crazy legs!

Briggs, a huge difference between Artest and Sprewell is: Spree put up those numbers when he was gunning for numbers on some of the worst teams in the league (yes, he made the playoffs once with Webber there, I believe).

Artest is a superstar who puts up his numbers in the flow of the game - on some of the best teams in the league each of the last two or three years. And having seen pretty much the entire career of both, I would say Artest is by far the superior defender and rebounder. Spree is a different type of player. I don't know, I love them both and I would probably overpay to get Artest here. I wonder if Zeke will do the same.

Another difference in the situation is: Sprewell attacked a GSW employee, his coach. GSW HAD to trade him and were happy to get ANYTHING for him. Artest attacked a fan in a hostile environment and thought he was protecting himself. I'm not even sure Indiana feels they need to trade him. They still think of him as a top 20 player and they would want a significant package to part with him.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 04/19/2005 22:23:39]
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  10:31 PM
Briggs, would you be willing to give up the #7 pick and two bench players for Artest (like TT and Sweetney)? You haven't given us your opinion enough times yet on this thread...
You have to give up talent to get talent. Sweetney's very replaceable on this roster. TT has a nice expiring contract but it's not exactly gold. The #7 pick is unlikely to be a player who can give you 20+ PPG and be the defensive player of the year.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 22:33:16]
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  11:26 PM
Another difference in the situation is: Sprewell attacked a GSW employee, his coach. GSW HAD to trade him and were happy to get ANYTHING for him. Artest attacked a fan in a hostile environment and thought he was protecting himself.
That's a good point. I hadn't even thought about that distinction but what Spree did was definitely worse.
The only way you could be against giving up the #7 pick, a bum with an expiring contract, and a decent 6th man for Artest is if you think it's likely that Artest will do something bad enough to get kicked out of the league. It seems so unlikely that that would happen that it's a risk I'd be willing to take. Obviously TT and Sweetney combined are nowhere near the player Artest is. The question is how many #7 picks in the past have turned out to be better players than Artest. I don't have a list of all the #7 picks in front of me, but Amare's the only one that comes to mind as a possibility and I'd be surprised if even 10% of them were better than Artest.
BRIGGS
4/19/2005  11:26 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Killa4luv:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

Im just telling you like this, Sprewell at the same age was a better player. not only was he a great offensive player who was a good passer and rebounder from the 2, he was a tough nosed 2 defender and was always high in the league in steals. I mean he was 1st TEAM all NBA at 23, Ron has not been close to that.

When you are saying Id give up a 7pick Tim Thomas and Mike Sweetney for a VERY similar scenario in which we gave up John Starks, Chris Mills and Terry Cummings, you sound foolish[nothing personal]. You are not discounting his problems at all here, and that is major.

Sprewell was the better player and atleast EVEN, but not really spree was better--yet in this case you want to give them 22 year old Sweetney pick 7 AND Tim Thomas, sorry but your are crazy legs!

Briggs, a huge difference between Artest and Sprewell is: Spree put up those numbers when he was gunning for numbers on some of the worst teams in the league (yes, he made the playoffs once with Webber there, I believe).

Artest is a superstar who puts up his numbers in the flow of the game - on some of the best teams in the league each of the last two or three years. And having seen pretty much the entire career of both, I would say Artest is by far the superior defender and rebounder. Spree is a different type of player. I don't know, I love them both and I would probably overpay to get Artest here. I wonder if Zeke will do the same.

Another difference in the situation is: Sprewell attacked a GSW employee, his coach. GSW HAD to trade him and were happy to get ANYTHING for him. Artest attacked a fan in a hostile environment and thought he was protecting himself. I'm not even sure Indiana feels they need to trade him. They still think of him as a top 20 player and they would want a significant package to part with him.

I don't think people watch sports. You say that sprewell put up big numbers on bad teams. Actually Sprewell who was 1st team ALL NBA in 1993 lead the GS Warriors in a very rough west to 50 wins.

Ron Artest on the other hand played 3 full seasons with the Bulls and the most they won is 23 games. That the best the Bulls could do 23 wins with Ron Artest and Elton Brand among aothers. Of course you put him in the right fit with great players in place they will be good.
You put Sprewell on the Knicks with other good players and they went to the finals.

Kobe is a great player. Michael Jordan is a great player--I mean Ron Artest isnt in the same league as those guys and they lost until they had the right fit of players around them. Kobe stinks now or something?

the bottom line is if you were talking about KG, of course I would do it. But we are NOT, we are talking about a combustible player who could be thrown out of the league for good quite easily.
the Knicks organization, the last time we traded a high lottery pick in a good year KILLED the team absolutley kiled it. We gave away Camby and couldve had stoudemire.

Nope, unless someone was willing to give me at a MINIMUM Elton Brand, Id rather build the team up through the draft.

Look at what is happening to the Yankees right now, they became a good club building through the minor leagues, scrapped it and while they have an unfair advantage over every team havent won in 5 years+ they really look like they could stink this year.

If they want to give us Ron Artest for kT and pick 30, thats fine. Im not giving up all that stuff so that Ron can flame in game 33 and get kicked out of the league holding us dry. the risk is way to high, I think its common sense. Were not talking KG here were talking artest.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  11:29 PM
The Dyess deal is part of the past. You can't approach every deal with Dyess in mind. You have to evaluate it on its own merits. You could never justify any trade of a lottery pick if you approached it with the Dyess deal in mind even though draft day trades of lottery picks can work (and not making such trades can be a mistake as well).
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  11:48 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

The Dyess deal is part of the past. You can't approach every deal with Dyess in mind. You have to evaluate it on its own merits. You could never justify any trade of a lottery pick if you approached it with the Dyess deal in mind even though draft day trades of lottery picks can work (and not making such trades can be a mistake as well).

how???

is Artest leading us to a championship?

Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  11:49 PM
Ron Artest on the other hand played 3 full seasons with the Bulls and the most they won is 23 games. That the best the Bulls could do 23 wins with Ron Artest and Elton Brand among aothers.
Um, how old was Artest then? I don't get why you keep mentioning that. You do realize that Artest has become just a little bit better than he was back then, right?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 23:49:53]
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/20/2005  12:01 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Bonn1997:

how???

is Artest leading us to a championship?
In a certain way yes. But Guns, there are only maybe 2 or 3 players that can 'lead' you to a championship. Shaq, A I., and Tim D.

Who lead Detroit to a championship? Larry Brown and that collection of talent they had.

Artest would be a great, and I mean great young piece to have on this team. His intensity, defense, scoring, would change games for us. I'd have to look at my list again to see if it made sense, but I would never just plainly rule it out, he is a really special player.

2 things to consider.
Artest vs. the #7 pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy