USA
4/19/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by fishmike:

So lets recap:
All his players
spends tons of money
team totally sucks

You left out the initial conditions out of your analysis. This team was not created last season out of a vacuum. Isiah inhereted Layden's totally sucky, highly overpaid team, and furthermore, the structure of the CBA severely limited what he could have done thus far to change things. If the CBA did not require you to trade dollar-for-dollar, or if it did not require you to keep a player's salary on your cap if you waive him, then yeah, Isiah should get an F. But given that that's not the case, an F is too much.

That's like coming off of reconstructive knee surgery, losing a race, and saying you're a failure. At this point, it's not about winning the race. It's about rehabilitating the roster, getting tradeable pieces, and generally moving in the right direction. You can argue how successful Isiah has been at all that, but he's hardly been a complete failure. We absolutely do have more talent on the roster and more tradeable assets than we did before Isiah, no matter how you cut it. Things could be better, but they could be a whole lot worse too. You don't get an F if you could have done a whole lot worse with respect to reasonable goals and expectations.

i'm really glad to have guys like you around. Its a breathe of freshair will all the gloom and doom attitude that some Knicks fans have no matter what.

I'm pretty frickin pissed off right now that ariza and butler aren't playing but I have a feeling there's a reason for it. Either Isiah doesn't want to lose them or he wants to give Herb what the media is always bitching about
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  4:30 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Tom... its not and here's why.
rather than trying to fix Layden's mistakes Isiah has repeated them.

This whole retooling with overpriced veterans is Isiah's doing. If Isiah took a conservative approach, played young guys and stock piled picks I can guarantee you he wouldn't be criticized. People like Chad and the NY media would all be saying what you just said... that Isiah inherited a mess and its going to take him time to fix it. Instead he added a quarter billion in future salary and promised fans and media things like a fast exciting team, a team NYers could be proud of and a team that would compete for the division title. These were his words not mine. Those were his goals, thats what he sold to fans, and he used $250mm in Dolan's money to execute that plan.

Now based on what Isiah told us why is this unfair?

Then you realize that Dolan is the owner and to his this is New York and you deal with it and hope we have a great draft this year and get rid of the tradable contracts

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 04/19/2005 16:31:26]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/19/2005  4:31 PM
allow me to amend your analogy.

Layden trashed our knee. The doctor prescribed surgury and a 2 year rehab program.

In comes Isiah. We get surgury. We race again. We lose the race and blow out the knee a 2nd time. A year has passed and the same doctor says now you need the same surgury and a THREE year rehab program.

Thats about how I see it.

Sure.. we have more talent on the roster overall but we are looking at a roster with 7-8 guys we cant WAIT to get rid of, and we are back to hoping and praying we win the lottery and some kid comes to save us.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
4/19/2005  4:38 PM
Posted by fishmike:

but doesnt Chad know its only been 15 months? I mean how can anything happen in 15 months. Thats just not fair.

What is fair in your opinion, Fishmike?
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
4/19/2005  4:38 PM
Posted by fishmike:

rather than trying to fix Layden's mistakes Isiah has repeated them.

The only really Layden-esque transaction Isiah has made was for Mo Taylor, and even that isn't too bad, since his contract is short and doesn't last past our pre-existing albatrosses. The Rose trade got us picks, the KVH trade got us an extra asset in Nazr, and the Marbury and JC trades got us young, talented guards at prices reasonable for their skill levels. A Layden-esque transaction is one where you acquire a low-talent, non-athletic role player for massive dollars, perhaps giving up some draft picks in the process.

And again, to effect any real change, what could have Isiah done so far? Those players he inhereted weren't going anywhere unless we got back players who were flawed in one way or another, talent wise or salary wise. What, should Isiah have not made any trades and mandated that Lampe play 25mpg and Vranes start? I guarantee you if he did that, we would be hearing just as much of a stink. Maybe not on this board in particular, but the general sentiment around the league would be the same. Post-Layden NY was really a no-win situation, no matter how you cut it.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  4:39 PM
I'm pretty frickin pissed off right now that ariza and butler aren't playing but I have a feeling there's a reason for it. Either Isiah doesn't want to lose them or he wants to give Herb what the media is always bitching about
Guns.. this is what I mean. The doom and gloom comes from Isiah and co, not from us. If we won 25 games but came out of the year with Sweetney having established himself as a starter and Ariza a core player and some kid namd Butler getting 15 minutes or so a game off the bench and having a nice moment here or there I would be PUMPED. Instead we lose 50 games with Marbury, KT and co playing 45 minutes a game and our young players riding pine the whole way. Whats changed? If we draft Gerald Green think he will get time over Crawford, MArbury, Penny, Houston when they are making their various comeback attempts? Houston's promised to make a come back... in all the papers. Whoever is coach will have so much pressure to win with our $120mm roster that he would rather see Penny and Houston limp then Gerald Green and Ariza make mistakes....

Dont worry.. after the draft I will spend the summer talking about how our young guys will dominate just as I did all summer w/ Riza and Sweets. Koolaid is just better in the summer anyhow
tomverve
4/19/2005  4:41 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Sure.. we have more talent on the roster overall but we are looking at a roster with 7-8 guys we cant WAIT to get rid of, and we are back to hoping and praying we win the lottery and some kid comes to save us.

In the Layden days we also hoped and prayed to win the lottery so some kid could come and save us. The major difference is that we had more like 9 or 10 guys we couldn't wait to get rid of.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  4:56 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:
Posted by fishmike:

but doesnt Chad know its only been 15 months? I mean how can anything happen in 15 months. Thats just not fair.

What is fair in your opinion, Fishmike?
Tom.. your 100% right that the post-Layden era is a no win situation. But Isiah could have deflected the critcism by using that.

Big.. I think and F is totally fair. Now I didnt read the whole article, and its certainly not fair that we are the only F and teams like Min dont get Fs. Forget other teams though, and just focus on us.

Think about these questions:
What were our goals when we started the year. What were our expectations. If things went bad (injuries, poor play, etc) what was our backup plan. What did we want to accomplish.

I think we failed pretty much everything. We didnt compete. We had little to no internal growth. We had no backup plan. When our season sent to the crapper we failed to use that time to develop young players and either secure great draft postion or develop young guys.

To me this is a totally lost season. Ariza is the only bright spot. So we found out a guy we drafted in round 2 is good enough to play at the NBA level.

All this is magnified by the money and long term deals we took on. If this year just helped us get one year closer to losing Layden's fodder then so be it, but we added more fodder so thats a wash also.

Now it comes down to the draft. If Isiah gets the next TMac we can say we were bad enough to draft franchise talent and Isiah did that. I hope like hell he does and we do. I'm a little tired of hoping for that year after year though.
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  5:02 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by fishmike:

In the Layden days we also hoped and prayed to win the lottery so some kid could come and save us. The major difference is that we had more like 9 or 10 guys we couldn't wait to get rid of.
thats the thing.. I dont see how thats changed. TT, Mo T, Penny, Houston are in the cant wait to be gone catagory. Rose, JYD, KT are in the move on catagory (like dont hate them, but they are all overpaid and arent helping us or getting younger).
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  5:03 PM
Tom... opening day roster next year:
What are your expectations? Will we be younger? More of the same? What kind of team do you think we will have?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/19/2005  5:19 PM
Whats the point choosing who's worst between Layden and Isiah? Isiah has yet to destroy this team in order to call him worse, or yet to make us really the team we have all been waiting for since the Ewing days. He will have something like 1 or 2 more years to fix this whole mess and the best we can do is pray he makes the best decisions.

When he arrived, I felt great that we had a new guy in charge, and one that had basketball knowledge. He said the best things, like "getting younger", not bringing big salaries, getting athletic, etc. So far, his moves have done both what he promissed and what he said he wasn't going to. The team is still the same mediocre one so he has done nothing, neither good nor bad. Its still a work in progress.
Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/19/2005  5:23 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is that it seems that like Layden, Isiah has no plan on what to do with the Knicks. Without a plan, how can you build a good team?
Knicks_Fan
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  5:40 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:

The only thing that really bothers me is that it seems that like Layden, Isiah has no plan on what to do with the Knicks. Without a plan, how can you build a good team?
Every one of his trades were consistent with his plan to get younger and more athletic. (I didn't agree with every trade, but that's a separate topic.) If you disagree, then list some of his trades where we gave up more athletic players than the key one(s) we acquired. It's clear that his plan is to get younger and more athletic, but it's also clear it's gonna take more than one season to see good results.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 17:41:33]
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  5:47 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:

what bothers me is that that is very unlike Isiah which proves to me that Dolan is the biggest problem and until he sells the team, if ever, we need to take it for what it is. Hope we become a playoff team again and maybe get lucky like Detroit did by drafting and trading. We got close at least 3 times in 93, 94, 95 & 99 with the exact same Dolan Philosophy!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/19/2005  5:49 PM
I think it's fair that Isiah gets this next year as a reasonable, full evaluation.

If we see something along the lines of trading pick 7 for Al harrington pick 30 and SA pick for Larry brown and signing a Ronald Murray, then we can get out the barf bags.

If he comes in and has an exciting draft, he adds a piece or two that makes a ton of sense and he DOESNT waste assets on a coach like Larry Brown--who is going to be 66 and has had serious health problems

there are a lot of avenues i can go to war with, I just outlined the one I wont endorse.

I dont want to comeback somehow with jalen Rose Al harrington and Larry brown as our offseason.

If thats what it is, then there will be a lot of fire Isiah chants very quickly.

Im scared too. Im scared because he ALLOWED trevor to have his minutes cut, he allowed Herb not to play Butler when he couldve MANDATED that they get X-time, especially since we were done. the fact that they have been playing M and JC almost 45 minutes a game scares me. if they are not willing to play ariza and butler when we are OUT of it, what is a draft pick to us? understand ?
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  5:52 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I think it's fair that Isiah gets this next year as a reasonable, full evaluation.

If we see something along the lines of trading pick 7 for Al harrington pick 30 and SA pick for Larry brown and signing a Ronald Murray, then we can get out the barf bags.

If he comes in and has an exciting draft, he adds a piece or two that makes a ton of sense and he DOESNT waste assets on a coach like Larry Brown--who is going to be 66 and has had serious health problems

there are a lot of avenues i can go to war with, I just outlined the one I wont endorse.

I dont want to comeback somehow with jalen Rose Al harrington and Larry brown as our offseason.

If thats what it is, then there will be a lot of fire Isiah chants very quickly.

Im scared too. Im scared because he ALLOWED trevor to have his minutes cut, he allowed Herb not to play Butler when he couldve MANDATED that they get X-time, especially since we were done. the fact that they have been playing M and JC almost 45 minutes a game scares me. if they are not willing to play ariza and butler when we are OUT of it, what is a draft pick to us? understand ?
If Isiah's 2nd round draft pick who's teenager is getting 18 mpg, then I don't think you'll need to worry about Isiah's lottery pick getting no playing time.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/19/2005  6:03 PM
i'll barf if we get Zach Randolph in the offseason...i'd be wondering when Brooklyn Nets jerseys go on sale.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  6:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

If Isiah's 2nd round draft pick who's teenager is getting 18 mpg, then I don't think you'll need to worry about Isiah's lottery pick getting no playing time.

exactly!

Ariza was getting more minutes than anyone expected out of the 43rd overall pick. Which further proves to me that something is going on that they all of a sudden started giving Ariza DNPs and 3-5min outings.

which is why im leaning more towards Isiah staying out of the way and just letting Herb run the team like the media wanted him to do combined with the fact that if they play them for big minutes he might lose them
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/19/2005  6:31 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

This summer and next trade deadline will be the answer. If TT & Penny's deals just go away & expire and are not turned into another Marbury/Penny type deal.

If we keep both picks or add another pick this draft, then, that's good.
tomverve
4/19/2005  8:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Tom... opening day roster next year:
What are your expectations? Will we be younger? More of the same? What kind of team do you think we will have?

Who can say? I don't really know. I expect we'll have at least two rookies on the roster, and I expect one of the PFs (probably KT) to be traded. Maybe TT or Penny, but we might hold onto them until the deadline. I'm not stressing out about it... I trust Isiah will do the right thing in the draft.
Chad Ford Grades the East (Knicks)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy