[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Chad Ford Grades the East (Knicks)
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
4/19/2005  1:50 PM
NEW YORK KNICKS Who would've thought that 18 months into Isiah Thomas' tenure in New York, Knicks fans would actually be referring to the Scott Layden era as the good old days. The Knicks were as bad as any team in the league the last two months. Their $109 million payroll next season and limited flexibility in trade options mean that we're a few months away from the Knicks' joining Isiah's other "success" stories in Toronto and the Continental Basketball Association on the garbage heap. GRADE: F
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/19/2005  1:58 PM
but doesnt Chad know its only been 15 months? I mean how can anything happen in 15 months. Thats just not fair.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
4/19/2005  2:03 PM
Whats not fair, Isiah gave up draft picks brought in a pg who never won anything and took back Penny's contract, signed a career 38% undersized shooting cancer to a long term deal, dealt for two players that couldn't play defense TT and Naz, then traded naz for a long term deal, signed vin baker and then traded him for mo taylor who is terrible

Made a bad coaching decision, gave away a great deal of flexibility added payroll, all while bringing in players that don't care, and play with intensity.....

Gave up expiring deals that could have been used to actually bring back assets.....failed to get Vince Carter, missed out on Carlos Arroyo, all while bringing in medicore talent that doesn't play together

I would say its right on
tomverve
Member: #878
4/19/2005  2:04 PM
Chad seems to have some sort of bias against the Knicks. If he refers to the Scott Layden era as 'the good old days,' he's the only one. The Knicks were also the only team to receive an F from Mr. Ford. As if we've had a worse season than Minnesota, for example, given realistic expectations? Give me a break.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/19/2005  2:10 PM
I've stopped acknowledging Chad's oppinions a while ago, and I gotta tell ya, it feels great.
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  2:11 PM
i was being sarcastic.

Sports comes down to wins and money. If your paid like a star play like a star. Otherwise your a goat. If your not winning your losing. That perception changes when... you win.

Isiah has added something like $250mm in salary and only Houston and Sweetney are guys from the previous management.

So lets recap:
All his players
spends tons of money
team totally sucks

Sorry but Isiah deserve's 100% of this. When the team and players on it start to show something I will change my tune, and you will stop seeing these kinds of articles.

We have no plan and no style of play.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
4/19/2005  2:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:

but doesnt Chad know its only been 15 months? I mean how can anything happen in 15 months. Thats just not fair.

15 months ago the Phoenix Suns were 12-22. And then they found their Sucker and the rest is history.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  2:18 PM
Chad sucks... make no mistake. This was a guy writing that maybe Darko should be taken over Lebron, and yes Tom, he's ALWAYS had a NY bias. ESPN for the most part does.
That aside the knocks on Isiah are fair IMHO.

He tried some things that didnt work out, and I dont fault him for that. Namely TT, Nazr, Dermaar Johnson and Moochie Norris. No problem with any of those moves because he said a goal was to get younger, faster and more athletic. Then he trades for vertically challenged powerforwards with long deals, signs Vin Baker and trades a pick in the process.

Isiah says one thing and does another. I'm curious to see what he will *say* next.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/19/2005  2:27 PM
as a knicks fan, and soon to be former season ticket holder, i give this team an F based purely on the answer to this question - "what have we accomplished this season?". i genuinely can not answer it b/c i don't think we did accomplish anything. sweetney's minutes did not increase over time, especially when we were out of it already and neither did ariza's. marbury is the same player, as is tim, kurt, etc. nothing new there. has crawford improved? that's debateable. they all talk a big game but the results are just not there. we don't have a coach, we don't have a system, we don't have an identity, and we don't have a philosphy. hard to argue with any of that. therefore i agree with the grade and give the team an F.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/19/2005  2:27 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by fishmike:

15 months ago the Phoenix Suns were 12-22. And then they found their Sucker and the rest is history.

Phoenix already had Amare, Marion and Joe Johnson in place. The only reason that team was 12-22 was that Amare went down. The year before when Marbury, Marion and Amare were all healthy they were the only team to play well against the NBA champion Spurs in the playoffs.

Phoenix was so far ahead of the Knicks talent-wise on January 4th, 2004, it's not even funny. You can't compare the two situations. PHO had several years worth of young, lottery talent who learning how to play. NYK had nothing. If Lampe and the 2004 Knicks first rounder were so valuable why did they turn around and trade both for nothing? Where is Vuja? How about Eisley? The 2006 pick is lotto protected until 2010. The only piece of any consequence we gave up was McDyess, who is a nice back up. Isiah made the Marbury trade to get this team some all-star talent and get the fans interested.

¿ △ ?
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/19/2005  2:31 PM
Chad Ford - genius
No one in the whole sports world
Knows more than he does

Chad versus the Knicks
Why such bitter hate from Ford?
Ewing boned his wife

"Journalists" are found
Following jocks all around
They're just high-paid fans

Ford, Rosen, Berman
None of them have been GM's
And they'll never be

[Edited by - eViL on 04/19/2005 14:40:26]
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  3:08 PM
surprised no one mentioned Isiah drafted Ariza with the 43rd pick and he has turned out better than most players who went in the top 20 and everyone complained that we didn't have a top 20 pick last year.

And he picked up Butler who made the mistake of coming straight out of high school but instead of quitting he went to the CBA and dominated as a 19yr old and has scored looked good in very limited minutes so far. I think guys like ariza and butler are good enough that if they got major minutes they would aign elsewere so maybe Isiah is just being really smart about it. Bottomline is Kurt Thomas needs to be traded!

I agree with all the negatives you guys brought up but Isiah can easy turn this around in one year buy making great draft choices and smart trades and signings so it still doesn't change the fact that he deserves at least one more year based on his drafting skills alone. Worst case scenario he drafts some great players and is fired later on but the next GM wreaks the benefits of Isiah's draft
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  3:17 PM
Guns.. I agree 100% but you can also say that about 29 other GMs. What you see is what you get. Butler hasnt played but 2 minutes despite our record so forget about him. If dominates summer leagues and shows up chisled and ready to knock guys around and we sign him to a 3 year deal I will get excited about having him. Until then he isnt any better than Jabari Smith or any other Nets CBA reject.

Lets see Isiah have a strong draft and turn at least one of our older PFs into a younger player with some upside or a pick like that Orlando KT/draft pick trade Briggs is always talking about.

He does that I will start singing the "we are in the right direction" songs. Until then he's fat F. Added a quarter of a BILLION dollars in $$$ and we have another 30 win season
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  3:26 PM
I don't know how old Jabari Smith is but I know he's not 19 and didn't dominate the cba at 19
tomverve
4/19/2005  4:11 PM
Posted by fishmike:

So lets recap:
All his players
spends tons of money
team totally sucks

You left out the initial conditions out of your analysis. This team was not created last season out of a vacuum. Isiah inhereted Layden's totally sucky, highly overpaid team, and furthermore, the structure of the CBA severely limited what he could have done thus far to change things. If the CBA did not require you to trade dollar-for-dollar, or if it did not require you to keep a player's salary on your cap if you waive him, then yeah, Isiah should get an F. But given that that's not the case, an F is too much.

That's like coming off of reconstructive knee surgery, losing a race, and saying you're a failure. At this point, it's not about winning the race. It's about rehabilitating the roster, getting tradeable pieces, and generally moving in the right direction. You can argue how successful Isiah has been at all that, but he's hardly been a complete failure. We absolutely do have more talent on the roster and more tradeable assets than we did before Isiah, no matter how you cut it. Things could be better, but they could be a whole lot worse too. You don't get an F if you could have done a whole lot worse with respect to reasonable goals and expectations.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/19/2005  4:12 PM
"chad sucks" "chad is stupid" "Chad always against the knicks"

Chad been snapping on Isiah since the season started. Chad in reality is one of the first to get this season, and his tenure right.

Botton line is the bottom line. We don't have to defend Isiah against the critics cuz he has done nothing yet to dispell any of it.

Laydens team would have evolved also. Trades, draft, what ever, the team would not have been the same. We just think cuz our outlook is better we alright. Just cuz its looking better than then we think its alright.

Its not, we really sucked this year. Since December we were as bad as anyone! We have a payroll of $109 for next year, and thats not changing unles Isiah brings in even more!

I used an expressin of "THUD" early during preseason that this could happen based on the lapse. It got better, then fell dead before hitting the floor.

There are postive things, but guys like chad are not gonna balance them out. We lost 7 more games than last year. He has fired two coaches and likely will fire another!

Don't blame "Chad" for not balanceing the article. Bottom line is the bottom line!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  4:19 PM
Posted by tomverve:

Chad seems to have some sort of bias against the Knicks. If he refers to the Scott Layden era as 'the good old days,' he's the only one. The Knicks were also the only team to receive an F from Mr. Ford. As if we've had a worse season than Minnesota, for example, given realistic expectations? Give me a break.
That's a great interpretation. I still can't stop laughing over the Layden comment!
tomverve
4/19/2005  4:21 PM
Nalod, if Chad wants to give the Knicks an F, fine, but he should at least be consistent. Our season has been disappointing, but not the worst in the NBA. Minnesota was supposed to be a title favorite and they didn't even make the playoffs! Title favorite -> low lottery team is a much bigger dropoff from expectation to reality than mid/low playoff seed -> mid lottery. If this Knicks season gets an F, Christ, the whole Timberwolves franchise should just be disbanded right now.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  4:26 PM
Posted by tomverve:

Nalod, if Chad wants to give the Knicks an F, fine, but he should at least be consistent. Our season has been disappointing, but not the worst in the NBA. Minnesota was supposed to be a title favorite and they didn't even make the playoffs! Title favorite -> low lottery team is a much bigger dropoff from expectation to reality than mid/low playoff seed -> mid lottery. If this Knicks season gets an F, Christ, the whole Timberwolves franchise should just be disbanded right now.
If the Knicks get an F, the Lakers should get an F- and the T-Wolves should get some letter close to Z.
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  4:27 PM
Tom... its not and here's why.
rather than trying to fix Layden's mistakes Isiah has repeated them.

This whole retooling with overpriced veterans is Isiah's doing. If Isiah took a conservative approach, played young guys and stock piled picks I can guarantee you he wouldn't be criticized. People like Chad and the NY media would all be saying what you just said... that Isiah inherited a mess and its going to take him time to fix it. Instead he added a quarter billion in future salary and promised fans and media things like a fast exciting team, a team NYers could be proud of and a team that would compete for the division title. These were his words not mine. Those were his goals, thats what he sold to fans, and he used $250mm in Dolan's money to execute that plan.

Now based on what Isiah told us why is this unfair?
Chad Ford Grades the East (Knicks)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy