[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

sorry Shaq... I see the MVP race is between 2 guys...
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/19/2005  1:20 PM
excellent thread fish...i've been saying for weeks that AI doesn't get his just due by some fans around here...look at the freakin' games he has for that Sixers team...he's practically carrying them to the playoffs all on his own.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/19/2005  1:33 PM
Let's not get out of hand here before you know who reads on but Iverson has been out of this world lately and definitely should be a candidate. If the Sixers keep Korver, Dalembert and Iguadala, that team will be a team to reckon with for while AI will be in his prime. Especially if suddenly those 3 players become much more seasoned. Philly would be stupid to give up Sam.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/19/2005  1:57 PM
Posted by TMS:

excellent thread fish...i've been saying for weeks that AI doesn't get his just due by some fans around here...look at the freakin' games he has for that Sixers team...he's practically carrying them to the playoffs all on his own.
big players step up in big games. AI has been unreal, and its translated into wins when everyone is as important as the last. His numbers over the last 10 are sick. He's doesnt have much around him either. If you have watched them you can see the CWebb trade is a disaster. The guy cant move... he's like a twig waiting to be snapped out there... it hurts to watch. They moved a lot of long contracts so maybe the deal accomplished their goals but Webber is hurting.

Someone here once argued Marbury was in AI's class and its not even close. I would love to see MArbury average 35/10/7/4 for a month and carry us to the playoffs he's just that level of player.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
4/19/2005  2:28 PM
SHAQ
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
4/19/2005  2:48 PM
As before, Kevin Garnett is the MVP. The difference is 30 wins and change.

Nash and Shaq are close, but rest of their teams are grossly under-estimated.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  4:09 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by TMS:

big players step up in big games. AI has been unreal, and its translated into wins when everyone is as important as the last. His numbers over the last 10 are sick. He's doesnt have much around him either. If you have watched them you can see the CWebb trade is a disaster. The guy cant move... he's like a twig waiting to be snapped out there... it hurts to watch. They moved a lot of long contracts so maybe the deal accomplished their goals but Webber is hurting.

Someone here once argued Marbury was in AI's class and its not even close. I would love to see MArbury average 35/10/7/4 for a month and carry us to the playoffs he's just that level of player.
I was one of the majority here last summer arguing Marbury was at least in the same league; so, I'll respond.

Does he get to take 30 shots like AI? Then I could see him getting the 35 PPG. I could see him getting the 10 assists too. He's probably had more than than in his best month of his career. I don't know where the 7 comes from. I'm assuming that's rebounds, but AI has never averaged more than 4.7 for a month this year. 7's a bit of an exaggeration even if he is your dream player. Yeah, in Marbury's best month I could see him averaging about 4 boards a game too. Maybe he wouldn't get the steals AI gets. I'll give you that one.

But you're right in one sense; he's carrying his team to the playoffs this year. He also carried them to the lottery in previous years. Marbury carried the Knicks to the playoffs last year and to the lottery this year. Iverson's had a better year this year than Marbury while Marbury had a better year than Iverson last year. It's balanced out if you don't overemphasize any one single year.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 16:28:03]
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  4:17 PM
Posted by tomverve:

Phoenix also got a healthy and much improved Stoudemire, a much improved Joe Johnson, and new signee Quentin Richardson. Nash is very important for them, but probably not as much as it seems.

Here are the PERs of some MVP candidates.

Garnett 28.8
Shaq 27.6
Nowitzki 26.7
LeBron 26.3
Iverson 23.6
Nash 22.6

Nash and Iverson are way too low to merit MVP consideration, IMO. I'm taking Shaq.
Marbury's got nearly the same # as Iverson despite playing with only one good knee and taking about 7 fewer shots a game
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/19/2005  4:31 PM
Will you get off of it already. Sheesh.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
USA
4/19/2005  4:39 PM
Iverson has nicer tattoos.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tomverve
Member: #878
4/19/2005  4:45 PM
Sorry, Bonn doesn't seem to be that off base here. Iverson's PER is just not up to snuff with those of the legit MVP candidates. People don't like this observation because they see him putting up big scoring numbers, and this year good assist numbers as well. It seems that Iverson is on the same level of greatness in certain aspects of the game as other MVP-type players. The major reason he falls short is not because he doesn't score enough or rebound enough or pass enough, but rather because he shoots poorly and turns it over so much. PER takes into account every statistical contribution a player makes to his team, both good and bad. Generally people tend to focus on the positives while downplaying the negatives, but PER gives us an objective means of comparison for all this, and Iverson just isn't up to snuff.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  4:50 PM
Posted by tomverve:

Sorry, Bonn doesn't seem to be that off base here. Iverson's PER is just not up to snuff with those of the legit MVP candidates. People don't like this observation because they see him putting up big scoring numbers, and this year good assist numbers as well. It seems that Iverson is on the same level of greatness in certain aspects of the game as other MVP-type players. The major reason he falls short is not because he doesn't score enough or rebound enough or pass enough, but rather because he shoots poorly and turns it over so much. PER takes into account every statistical contribution a player makes to his team, both good and bad. Generally people tend to focus on the positives while downplaying the negatives, but PER gives us an objective means of comparison for all this, and Iverson just isn't up to snuff.

I agree with that. I think the fact that Iverson needs 35 shots and the ball in his hands all the time to put up those kind of numbers is the reason why he will never win a championship.

Whereas a guy like Jordan could put up 35 shots per game and win a championship because he'll hit over 46% of them.

Even if you get Iverson another star he won't win because he will never mesh with that player.

And he will never win it on his own

HENCE...he will never win a championship.

HENCE....Shaq & Duncan are the best 2 players in this league not iverson, nash, amare, KG or Dirk.

I just like looking at things realistically thats all
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  5:33 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Will you get off of it already. Sheesh.
Dude, I was RESPONDING to Fish's comments. It's not like I brought up the topic. Am I no longer allowed to respond to posters comparing Marbury and Iverson?
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  5:35 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by tomverve:

I agree with that. I think the fact that Iverson needs 35 shots and the ball in his hands all the time to put up those kind of numbers is the reason why he will never win a championship.

Whereas a guy like Jordan could put up 35 shots per game and win a championship because he'll hit over 46% of them.

Even if you get Iverson another star he won't win because he will never mesh with that player.

And he will never win it on his own

HENCE...he will never win a championship.

HENCE....Shaq & Duncan are the best 2 players in this league not iverson, nash, amare, KG or Dirk.

I just like looking at things realistically thats all
Yup; you guys are making a lot of sense. I've been saying that stuff about Iverson for a long time. Just to be clear: He's extremely talented. I don't think anyone would ever dispute that.
rojasmas
Member: #639
4/19/2005  9:10 PM
I think it should be Shaq, Nash or Stoudamire. Duncan has been hurt too much. AI and Lebron's teams barely will make or just miss the playoffs so where is there tremendous value? An MVP shouldn't come from a .500 team, in my opinion. Shaq has taken the Heat to a record they have never seen before as has Nash with the Suns. Amare is on the same Suns team and has better stats than Nash, but never won like this before Nash got there.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
TMS
USA
4/19/2005  9:16 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

I think it should be Shaq, Nash or Stoudamire. Duncan has been hurt too much. AI and Lebron's teams barely will make or just miss the playoffs so where is there tremendous value? An MVP shouldn't come from a .500 team, in my opinion. Shaq has taken the Heat to a record they have never seen before as has Nash with the Suns. Amare is on the same Suns team and has better stats than Nash, but never won like this before Nash got there.

coincidentally all 3 of those guys have better surrounding casts than both AI & Lebron have as well...funny how that might play a role in what their respective teams' records may be, don't you think?
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  9:21 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by rojasmas:

coincidentally all 3 of those guys have better surrounding casts than both AI & Lebron have as well...funny how that might play a role in what their respective teams' records may be, don't you think?

Lakers proved last year that without Kobe they still won because they had the best player in the game in Shaq. But when Shaq went down they were scored and kobe scored 40 a bunch of times and they lost
TMS
USA
4/19/2005  9:27 PM
& what's your point? i was addressing the fact that those other 3 guys have better surrounding casts around them than Lebron & AI do...how is it not fair to say that both those guys are just as valuable to their respective teams as guys like Nash, Stoudamire & Shaq are? you think the Sixers & Cavs would be anything at all w/o either AI or Lebron?
gunsnewing
USA
4/19/2005  9:28 PM
Posted by TMS:

& what's your point? i was addressing the fact that those other 3 guys have better surrounding casts around them than Lebron & AI do...how is it not fair to say that both those guys are just as valuable to their respective teams as guys like Nash, Stoudamire & Shaq are? you think the Sixers & Cavs would be anything at all w/o either AI or Lebron?

no question about it! they are valuable just not MOST valuable
rojasmas
Member: #639
4/19/2005  11:04 PM
Exactly! If your utmost value is making your team average, as in .500, that's not enough to win MVP in my opinion. Maybe it's the luck of the draw and the team you are on, but no team Shaq is on I would venture to say is going .500. Or Duncan when healthy.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/19/2005  11:22 PM
amare, ai, duncan, nash, vince carter, ginobili, ricky davis, wade will all command some kind voting in somewhere from 1st to 5th in balloting.

ask yourself: who will command more 1st place votes

like i said before shaq = instant championship
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
sorry Shaq... I see the MVP race is between 2 guys...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy