[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

sorry Shaq... I see the MVP race is between 2 guys...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/19/2005  7:42 AM
Lebron and Iverson. I dont see any one player in the league that does more for their team.

The Heat win without Shaq and Wade is insane. Pho has too much depth.

Bron and AI are the two that really carry their teams every night.

Iverson's last 9 games (April)
35points,5rebs,10assists,3steals while every win or loss has playoff implication
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/19/2005  8:39 AM
Fishmike,shouldnt Phoenix's improvement under Nash be taken into consideration? They were 29-53 last year without him.

They have a good shot of setting a franchise record in wins this year.That seems like an MVP finalist to me.
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  9:10 AM
no... Nash doesnt play defense. They were also 29-53 without Marbury after the trade, without Amare because of injury and without Richardson because he was a Clipper.

Nash has been a great player for the Suns, but he's not even the best player on that team.
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
4/19/2005  9:12 AM
Phoenix also got a healthy and much improved Stoudemire, a much improved Joe Johnson, and new signee Quentin Richardson. Nash is very important for them, but probably not as much as it seems.

Here are the PERs of some MVP candidates.

Garnett 28.8
Shaq 27.6
Nowitzki 26.7
LeBron 26.3
Iverson 23.6
Nash 22.6

Nash and Iverson are way too low to merit MVP consideration, IMO. I'm taking Shaq.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2005  9:25 AM
I think it should be either Wade or Shaq but I think in my voters' minds it's between Shaq and Nash. Nash will probably get it because his dominance is newer and he's much shorter. (People love the story when a small guy can get the award like when Iverson did.) Lebron's and Iverson's teams are not nearly good enough to get the award.

The Heat win without Shaq
I highly doubt that lineup would win anything for an extended period without Shaq. That lineup without Shaq is severly inferior to the lineup they had that barely finished at .500 in the weaker east last year

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/19/2005 09:26:21]
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
4/19/2005  9:33 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Nash has been a great player for the Suns, but he's not even the best player on that team.

This is where people start arguing about the difference between the "best" player and the "most valuable".Some have the better stats and others do more to put teams in the win column.

I dont believe anyone other than Kidd could of had the impact Nash did at PG on the Suns.Anyone else and I believe this team would have finished closer to the 8th spot than the 1st and the best record in the league.

Plenty of teams are loaded with talent but few players can put them all on the same page.
tomverve
4/19/2005  9:36 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Lebron's and Iverson's teams are not nearly good enough to get the award.

I will never understand this reasoning. People seem to think that the MVP must be some Jesus figure who gets his team 50+ wins singlehandedly. They forget about the quality of teammates and coaches. Garnett won the MVP last year. Is it really Garnett's fault that the Wolves fell from grace? If not, how come we're not hearing his name mentioned at all? "Because an MVP wouldn't let his team do that poorly"? BS! One ball player can only do so much. Put any MVP guy on a CBA roster, throw 'em into the NBA, and that team is not going to win 50. If the guy is out of MVP consideration because of it, then you're not just judging him, you're judging his team as well. It just doesn't make sense to judge an individual player by a team stat-- e.g., an MVP by wins. It's kind of like saying, "we were going to invite Fred Hoiberg to the 3 point shoot out, until we saw his team only shoots 30% on 3s" or something equally ridiculous.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/19/2005  9:36 AM
nash had a good year but if jkidd didn't win it his first year in jersey then nash should not even be considered.

shaq will win it based purely on the +/- for both miami AND l.a.

lebron is doing all he can.

and i think iverson should be the mvp b/c that team is nothing without him and they're actually winning (unlike cleveland).

vince has made a late season push but unfortunately, the season started in november.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/19/2005  9:38 AM
Nalods prediction:

1. Shaq: He also gets the "In your face" factor for Kobe.

2. Nash: Win with him, lose without. He does not make the team, he makes it better. No 1. record in the tough west.

3. Iverson: I would have had Lebron here, but Alan Carried the team on his back. Again. Maybe Timmy should be here?

4.Lebron: Lebron is the future king. He will get hype votes, and some sympathy ones too.

5. Timmy: No slant againt him putting him at no. 5. I could easily put him at no. 3 or 4. He is behind Shaq and Nash this year in terms of importance of his team. The spurs are better this year than in the past and no doubt he is the center of it all, but they are better balanced.

6. Garnett: Good stats, bad team. This is what happens when you add one part Spree, one part Sam I am. Poor Sam could never get his contract right.

7: Kidd/Carter: These guys play the last third of the season has been incredible, just sick! Can't say I like these guys personality, but on the court, this year, they were awsome!

8: Dirk. Really does not matter does it.

9: Heinrich: Best turnaround story. Started season 0-9, finsished with nice record. He is the point, he is the QB, and he gets some sloppy considerate votes.

10: Kurt Thomas: Guy is 6th in rebounds, shoots well, good %, etc, and is highly underrated by fans. We all know what he does not do, but we overlook what he does. he has been a rock for us, and gets some insignificant votes to show some apprciation from this fan.

19: Step On Marbury: Played every minute of every game and if left to his own device would get every assist and every point! His stats were great, he played every game, all for naught, but he still put in the time! Also I am throwing some love his way.

263: Jamal Crawful: I threw a vote his way to point out he needs to keep working hard to undo the typical Knick rep of overpaid and underachieving. To his credit, he gets votes ahead of Glen Rice, Bigg Poop Robinson. But not spree!

bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
4/19/2005  9:43 AM
Are you trying to tell me that you don't consider the Diesel as a candidate for MVP this year?

Seriously?
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/19/2005  10:09 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Lebron and Iverson. I dont see any one player in the league that does more for their team.

The Heat win without Shaq and Wade is insane. Pho has too much depth.

Bron and AI are the two that really carry their teams every night.

Iverson's last 9 games (April)
35points,5rebs,10assists,3steals while every win or loss has playoff implication

I still think shaq has the bigger impact, he made a average team in miami a championship contender,a legit one... If there had to be someone else besides shaq, then I could not be mad with either, Bron or AI...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
4/19/2005  10:10 AM
Tom, I bet if you put Shaq on a CBA team they would win damn close to 50 in the NBA. So long as you got some shooters :)

Shaq probably will win, but he does have another top 10 player in the NBA along side of him.

Its flavor.. no doubt. Shaq is almost in a catagory of his own. Like MJ I think the only reason he doesnt win more MVPs is people just get tired of him.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/19/2005  10:24 AM
Shaq & Nash are probably the two that will be 1 & 2.

Wade has been awesome, but you've got to credit shaq with giving him confidence to go out and play- just like MJ made players better on his team with his inspiring play.

Same for Nash- trade Nash for the self-proclaimed best pg (Marbs-mouth), and I don't think they win nearly as many games.
tomverve
4/19/2005  11:51 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Its flavor.. no doubt. Shaq is almost in a catagory of his own. Like MJ I think the only reason he doesnt win more MVPs is people just get tired of him.

You're right. If nothing else, Shaq should get this year's MVP to make up for the season Iverson won it. Shaq's PER that year was a dominant 30+, which places it among the greatest seasons of all time. Iverson's was only something like 23. To put that in perspective, a 20 PER is typical for an All-Star type player, while 7 points lower at 13 we have a solid bench guy. So, the difference in total statistical production between Shaq and Iverson that season was about the same as the difference between an All-Star and a solid 6th man. Shaq got jobbed, so give it to him this year to make up for it. Giving it to Nash with his 22 PER this season would just be repeating the same mistake.

[Edited by - tomverve on 04/19/2005 11:52:26]
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  11:59 AM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Lebron's and Iverson's teams are not nearly good enough to get the award.

I will never understand this reasoning. People seem to think that the MVP must be some Jesus figure who gets his team 50+ wins singlehandedly. They forget about the quality of teammates and coaches. Garnett won the MVP last year. Is it really Garnett's fault that the Wolves fell from grace? If not, how come we're not hearing his name mentioned at all? "Because an MVP wouldn't let his team do that poorly"? BS! One ball player can only do so much. Put any MVP guy on a CBA roster, throw 'em into the NBA, and that team is not going to win 50. If the guy is out of MVP consideration because of it, then you're not just judging him, you're judging his team as well. It just doesn't make sense to judge an individual player by a team stat-- e.g., an MVP by wins. It's kind of like saying, "we were going to invite Fred Hoiberg to the 3 point shoot out, until we saw his team only shoots 30% on 3s" or something equally ridiculous.
I'm just against giving MVPs to players on bad teams like the Cavs. If the team misses the playoffs with Lebron, then how much worse would they have been without him? I guess you could say they would have missed the playoffs by even more without him. That's not exactly a splendid endorsement of his MVP candidacy. No one is saying that how the team does should be the SOLE factor in determining the MVP. Otherwise, I would have said Nash and Amare and Marion (the three top players on the top team) are the candidates. All I'm saying is you cannot ignore how the team does.
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  12:06 PM
I think its safe to say Tim Duncan is the most valuable player in the league. Shaq is right there with him though
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  12:10 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I think its safe to say Tim Duncan is the most valuable player in the league. Shaq is right there with him though
Maybe, but the Spurs without him are so much better than the Heat without Shaq. The Spurs without him would probably win 45 in the west. If Duncan hadn't missed so many games, he'd be a strong candidate.
tomverve
4/19/2005  12:31 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'm just against giving MVPs to players on bad teams like the Cavs. If the team misses the playoffs with Lebron, then how much worse would they have been without him? I guess you could say they would have missed the playoffs by even more without him. That's not exactly a splendid endorsement of his MVP candidacy. No one is saying that how the team does should be the SOLE factor in determining the MVP. Otherwise, I would have said Nash and Amare and Marion (the three top players on the top team) are the candidates. All I'm saying is you cannot ignore how the team does.

The only thing that matters about how the team does in this discussion is what the MVP candidate in question contributes towards his team success. Taking a team's absolute # of wins is a naive and poor measure of this impact. If we want to evaluate what a given player contributes towards his team's winning ways, the only relevant question is, "If we replace MVP candidate X with an average player at his position, how much worse is his team?" This is a fair question because it isolates the impact of the individual player. Looking at total # of team wins tells you nothing about how important each player on the roster was towards establishing those wins.

So what happens if we evaluate the Cavs this way? Replace LeBron with an average SF and the Cavs are in the toilet, probably contending with Charlotte and Atlanta for season-worst honors. It doesn't matter that they don't get into the playoffs. It's incredible that they were even contending for a spot in the first place, and that's a big credit to LeBron's name. The dropoff in amount of games won for the Cavs, in fact, would almost certainly be bigger than the dropoff in amount of games won by the Suns if Nash were to be replaced with an average PG. So if you want to taking winning into account, LeBron actually turns out looking better than Nash.
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2005  12:32 PM
are you sure? I think Miami wins more without Shaq because Wade is better than anyone on the Spurs minus Duncan. Spurs get blown out without Duncan. but you're problably right they still have parker and ginobili and a great coach. I guess I would give it to Shaq since he's played more games and had such a huge impact in Miami. I won't give it to Nash when Amare is the best player on the team but still not better than Shaq & Duncan.
Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2005  12:50 PM
Spurs get blown out without Duncan.
Have you been watching them? They're like 8-4 without Duncan.

Tom: Replace Iverson with an average PG and you still have a 21/11/6 PF who was the best player in the entire western conference for a month (I think Webber got the award in January). (I know his #s have gone down from that with Iverson as I predicted.) I'd say that team has underachieved with Iverson as its leader this year (and the previous two years for that matter). I wouldn't give the award to a player on a mediocre team that is underachieving. The player has to be helping the team achieve what beyond what (not less than) it would be expected to achieve. Shaq's on a team that wins about 34 games without him (about 25 or 30 less than they will end up winning). No one is having close to the impact he's having. Webber probably returns to the 21/11/6 player he was earlier if the Sixers don't have Iverson (maybe the assists would be a little lower) and C Webb dominates PFs in the east. The Sixers probably win at least 30 about 10 less than they will end up winning.
sorry Shaq... I see the MVP race is between 2 guys...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy