Insider - 4/9
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/9/2002  12:30 PM
Draft Rumors: Wilcox, Mason in the draft

It looks like Maryland power forward Chris Wilcox will declare for the NBA draft.

Insider reported Monday that Wilcox would put his name in the draft and today, the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Wilcox is expected to meet with Terps head coach Gary Williams to make known his intentions to leave school early.

"He wants to hear what Coach Williams has to say. I don't think he's really made up his mind yet," Wilcox's mother, Debra Brown, said Monday night. "[When he does], he wants to let Coach Williams know first."

No one helped themselves more than Wilcox did in the NCAA Tournament. Scouts now project him as a top 6 pick. If he can show some range on his jump shot, he could go even higher. Several scouts compare him to the Nuggets' Antonio McDyess. . .

Virginia's Roger Mason Jr. officially put his name in the draft Monday. "This decision was made based on information suggesting that now is the optimal time for me to begin pursuing my chosen profession," Mason said in a statement. "The system allows me to pursue this opportunity while maintaining my college eligibility. . . . I feel confident in my ability to play at the next level and I look forward to the challenges ahead."

Mason, apparently, has not hired an agent.

Is Mason a first-rounder? Scouts are intrigued by the 6-foot-5 guard's ability to play the point, but lots of questions remain about his game. Right now he's projected as a late first-round pick, but his final status will depend largely on what he does in Chicago and at private workouts. . .

The Kansas City Star ran a story today claiming that Drew Gooden was still struggling with his decision to turn pro. Maybe he is, but he will turn pro, league sources continue to tell Insider. Gooden was unhappy with how the Jayhawks ended their season, but is determined to start his NBA career this year.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/9/2002  3:16 PM
Thank god Wilcox is declaring. We need this guy and have a legit chance at getting him.
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/9/2002  3:27 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Thank god Wilcox is declaring. We need this guy and have a legit chance at getting him.
At this point, if the comparisons are true, i'd rather get Qyntel Woods, a McGrady clone rather than get Wilcox - a McDyess clone...

I mean, Yao Ming sounds solid too...
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/9/2002  3:29 PM
I'm curious who and what we are going to take with our second rounder, what trades we are gonna do in the off-season and What the h*ll we're gonna do with Lavor Postell.
stan1616
Member: #232
Philippines
4/9/2002  7:15 PM
We are gonna keep Postell!!! He had 2 good games. What more can you ask for a seldomly used guard?
Stan1616 Go New York! Gotta luv ya!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/9/2002  7:40 PM
Postell is as good as gone. He wants to play somewhere, and he won't in New York next year if Houston and Spree returned. Who cares if he plyaed two good games, no pressure was on him and all he does is shoot. No defense, no passing, nothing, he gets it and shoots. He's a ballhog with a capital B.
#Knickstaps
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
4/9/2002  8:15 PM
BigSmooth, Postell is a restricted free agent so we can match any offers made to him which I doubt there will be any, so we most likely will sign him. Remember that Postell had made those comments about being an all star before that game so there was some pressure on him to play as well as he did.

As for Wilcox,lets cross our fingers and hope we can get him with that 7th pick.
I bleed orange and blue for life.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
4/9/2002  10:54 PM
Posted by KEEPCAMBYNY:

BigSmooth, Postell is a restricted free agent so we can match any offers made to him which I doubt there will be any, so we most likely will sign him.

I know several people have posted that Postel is a restricted free agent after this year, and I will ask where they are finding this info. I don't think he is. Can anyone enlighten me?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/9/2002  11:45 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by KEEPCAMBYNY:

BigSmooth, Postell is a restricted free agent so we can match any offers made to him which I doubt there will be any, so we most likely will sign him.

I know several people have posted that Postel is a restricted free agent after this year, and I will ask where they are finding this info. I don't think he is. Can anyone enlighten me?

realgm.com has the status on every player in the NBA...It used to show their salaries but they stopped that..they now show how long a player is signed and his status as a Free agent.. Postell is a restricted FA...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Andrew
USA
4/10/2002  9:41 AM
Posted by tkf:

realgm.com has the status on every player in the NBA...It used to show their salaries but they stopped that..they now show how long a player is signed and his status as a Free agent.. Postell is a restricted FA...

They must have changed his status...he is now listed as a free agent (non restricted).
http://realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2002
PURE KNICKS LOVE
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/10/2002  2:30 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by tkf:

They must have changed his status...he is now listed as a free agent (non restricted).
http://realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2002

That figures.... LOL....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
4/10/2002  7:21 PM
so then that ends the debate. Postell will probably not be back next year to ride the bench.
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew
USA
4/11/2002  10:42 AM
Hmmm. In todays Newsday article Bob Hezog wrote this:
Postell, who is signed through next season...

Maybe Postell will be back next season....but I don't know if I trust this writers info.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knix112664475apr11.story?coll=ny%2Dknicks%2Dheadlines
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Insider - 4/9

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy