[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah tried to trade Kurt?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/15/2005  12:19 PM
Did anyone here about this?? I would have LOVED this deal even though Drew Gooden has significant limitations.

The Knicks shopped Kurt Thomas before the trading deadline, including to the Cavaliers. After the Feb. 24 deadline, it was reported the Knicks and Cavs discussed a Thomas-for-Drew Gooden/Ira Newble deal that the Cavs rejected, though Silas supported it. Gooden over the last three games is averaging 25 points, 11.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists. It's doubtful that trade will be revisited this summer with Silas gone.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/44584.htm
AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/15/2005  12:28 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Did anyone here about this?? I would have LOVED this deal even though Drew Gooden has significant limitations.

The Knicks shopped Kurt Thomas before the trading deadline, including to the Cavaliers. After the Feb. 24 deadline, it was reported the Knicks and Cavs discussed a Thomas-for-Drew Gooden/Ira Newble deal that the Cavs rejected, though Silas supported it. Gooden over the last three games is averaging 25 points, 11.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists. It's doubtful that trade will be revisited this summer with Silas gone.

Old News Bonn, most of us heard about this the day after the deadline, it was in the papers.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
4/15/2005  12:30 PM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Old News Bonn, most of us heard about this the day after the deadline, it was in the papers.
I didn't know about that. I'm glad to hear that Isiah is trying to trade Kurt for a young player. Even if this Gooden deal doesn't go through, I assume this means he'll look at other deals in the offseason.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/15/2005  12:40 PM
this is almost as bad as some of Scott Layden's offers to other teams using KT as trade bait...did he really think this had any chance of happening? KT's value around the league is pretty much shot w/that contract extension & trade kicker...you can get a veteran for him or an unproven young player perhaps, but to get a talented young player who's putting up good #'s for him you're going to have to include draft picks in the deal...there's just no way getting around that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2005  12:42 PM
It was a good deal. And it would have been good for the Cavs!

Gooden is a jerk, and in a contract year. I don't know if he is our answer, but he can play when he wants to. A real party animal from what I hear.

Young Blood Silas wanted this deal, and New owner jerk Dan did not.

What is appealing is that Isiah is not willing to just dump KT. His salary is not out of line, he rebounds and shoots well. He has value!
Bonn1997
USA
4/15/2005  12:42 PM
Posted by TMS:

this is almost as bad as some of Scott Layden's offers to other teams using KT as trade bait...did he really think this had any chance of happening? KT's value around the league is pretty much shot w/that contract extension & trade kicker...you can get a veteran for him or an unproven young player perhaps, but to get a talented young player who's putting up good #'s for him you're going to have to include draft picks in the deal...there's just no way getting around that.
I initially thought that, but it said that Silas liked the deal. Maybe it somehow came up when Isiah was talking to Silas and then Isiah decided to talk to the Cavs GM after talking to Silas. That's one possibility at least.
(I still don't think it's as bad as Layden's KT for Bosh offer. That takes the cake as the worst offer ever.)
BigAppleStar3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #683
USA
4/15/2005  12:53 PM
I think we overrate Kurt Thomas a lot. At best, we can maybe get back Clarence Weatherspoon AND a 1st Round Pick. That's pretty much it. I expect KT back next season starting at Center or PF and playing 36 mpg. :(
TMS
USA
4/15/2005  12:59 PM
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

I think we overrate Kurt Thomas a lot. At best, we can maybe get back Clarence Weatherspoon AND a 1st Round Pick. That's pretty much it. I expect KT back next season starting at Center or PF and playing 36 mpg. :(

so do i, as sad as that sounds...unless Isiah just wants to unload KT for garbage, he's going to be a Knick next year.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/15/2005  1:20 PM
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

exactly what I've been saying for 4yrs. nice to know that everyone is catching on now
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/15/2005  1:27 PM
Drew Gooden was on that horrible team in Orlando who lost like what 19 straight and everyone was saying TMac has absolutly no help.

Now he is on the Cavs with Lebron where they are now close to being out of the playoff picture and everyone is saying other than Big Z Lebron has has nobody else.

Gooden doesn't seem to be that highly thought of around the league. By NBA analyst anyway. You would think deals like this would have no shot at happening. Gooden is young, athletic, and was like the 3rd pick. Then you see GS trade Dale Davis & Speedy Claxton for Baron Davis.

[Edited by - newyorknewyork on 04/15/2005 13:28:47]
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TMS
USA
4/15/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

exactly what I've been saying for 4yrs. nice to know that everyone is catching on now

i didn't realize anyone overrated KT 4 years ago.
TMS
USA
4/15/2005  1:32 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Drew Gooden was on that horrible team in Orlando who lost like what 19 straight and everyone was saying TMac has absolutly no help.

Now he is on the Cavs with Lebron where they are now close to being out of the playoff picture and everyone is saying other than Big Z Lebron has has nobody else.

Gooden doesn't seem to be that highly thought of around the league. By NBA analyst anyway. You would think deals like this would have no shot at happening. Gooden is young, athletic, and was like the 3rd pick. Then you see GS trade Dale Davis & Speedy Claxton for Baron Davis.

i don't think you can really compare the 2 scenarios since Baron was a max contract of a player who was injury prone & wanted out of NO in a bad way...they made a crappy trade, but they aim to clear cap room to rebuild their team...Gooden's only making MLE dollars & he's signed for 2 more years only
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/15/2005  1:57 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by newyorknewyork:

i don't think you can really compare the 2 scenarios since Baron was a max contract of a player who was injury prone & wanted out of NO in a bad way...they made a crappy trade, but they aim to clear cap room to rebuild their team...Gooden's only making MLE dollars & he's signed for 2 more years only
Didn't Jerry West moved quickly to dump him. It was an attitude problem, and a low BB IQ problem from what I understand.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
TMS
USA
4/15/2005  2:00 PM
right, Gooden's not been able to stick w/his former teams because of his attitude issues, not because of his bloated contract or injury woes...it's a completely different situation...& we all know how Isiah has this hard on for reclamation projects that are young w/talent like Eddie Griffin...the difference here is that Gooden is still putting up good #'s, so i don't blame him for being interested in him...but that's the reason why CLE would never have done a deal like that...plus, they like Ira Newble too...he's not just some scrub that is their 12th man off the bench either.

[Edited by - TMS on 04/15/2005 14:01:41]
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/15/2005  2:43 PM
I wouldn't have done that deal either if I was the cavs. Gooden is young, athletic, pretty cheap, and (gets his stats inflated because of how easy Lebron makes it for him). They probably wanted a future protected pick along with it or something. I could see the cavs interested though because they probably feel Varegeo is good enough to replace Gooden down the line so they wanted a veteran who could help them in the playoffs now with good post defense. At that time they were basically a lock for playoffs. Goodens #s were dipping at that time to 11.8pts, 9.7rebs. Isiah probably tried to steal him while his value was lower.

Magic traded Gooden, Anderson Varegeo(athletic Brazilian), & Steven Hunter, for Tony Battie, 2 2nd rd picks. Which makes Isiahs deal look great but I guess they had to do it because they were bringing in Howard.

[Edited by - newyorknewyork on 04/15/2005 14:44:13]
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
taps
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #768
USA
4/15/2005  4:04 PM
Now will there be any chance that Kurt gets traded this off-season because I'm just so tried of Kurt.
"White people are crazy and they sho nuff not from Earth"
Isiah tried to trade Kurt?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy