interesting article
Author Thread
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
4/15/2005  8:04 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/chris_mannix/04/13/daily.blog/

Talks about how marbs and kobe should demand a trade. I love marbury and want him to stay a knick forever...as we all have discussed, you get him a shot blocking presence and a dead on jump shooter, we win it all.

What do you think it feels like to be Stephon Marbury?

You're New York's favorite son, the street baller from Brooklyn who returned home last year as the man who could lead the Knicks back to the top. You're embraced by the fans, although they don't understand how a player with such marvelous talents can't get his team past the first round of the playoffs. After a modicum of success last year, your team is in a free fall, resulting in another new coach (your fourth in a little over a year) and a revamped roster. Your team is in shambles, your payroll is three times that of the Clippers, and your only hope for the future lies with a lottery pick and another draft choice you picked up from the Spurs. What do you do?

The answer for both men? Get out. Get out now. Get out while the getting is good. But it won't be easy.

Kobe, you're an icon in LA, but should you become available, you would be the most coveted commodity in league history. This season with the Lakers you've gone from arguably the league's best player to maybe the third or fourth best in your conference.

Force a trade, Kobe. Walk into Jerry Buss' office (I would say walk into Mitch Kupchak's office, but do you two even talk any more?) and tell him it's not working out. Cut bait. Go to Seattle, maybe in a sign and trade for Ray Allen and a combination of Nick Collison or Vladimir Radmanovic. Go to New Orleans and play for your old buddy Byron Scott; maybe he can entice the Lakers with a package of Jamaal Magliore and a few No. 1 picks. You think your teammates are the problem? You're like the ringleader of a really bad circus. Isn't this roster almost exactly the same as the one Dwyane Wade carried to the second round of the playoffs? Anyone think Wade couldn't do it again?

Stephon, I know Isiah Thomas sees a lot of himself in you. But as hard-nosed as Isiah was, he was a point guard in the purest sense. He made his teammates better. You make your teammates bored. You are one of the best scoring points in the league, but you aren't even the best point man in your own market. There are players in this league and there are great players. You are not a great player.

Find a way out, Stephon. Find your way back to Minnesota, where you enjoyed the best seasons of your career, and take your rightful place beside Kevin Garnett. Can you imagine what might have been had you never left? You probably wouldn't be wanting for any jewelry for your ring fingers. Go to Isiah. Help him make his team better. You think Latrell Sprewell wouldn't appreciate a return to the Knicks? Package Spree (via sign and trade) with enigmatic center Michael Olowokandi, throw in Minnesota's first lottery pick in almost a decade and you might have yourself a deal. Meanwhile, Jamal Crawford can assume your point position in New York.

Steph, just get out of your hometown. (Come to think of it, has there ever been a situation where a player in his prime returns to the city he called home and was able to live up to expectations?). Go to a place where you can be Robin to someone else's Batman.

all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/15/2005  8:22 AM
sorry, but Spree, Kandi and the Wolves #1 for Marbury sucks.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
rvhoss
Switzerland
4/15/2005  8:36 AM
especially if spree could just sign outright and we are gonna draft the next kandi this year.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/15/2005  8:40 AM
Cute article, some nice turns of phrases, but I'm in no mood to trade Marbs. I'm still singing the same song - let everyone rest and chill a little during the off-season, get a talented big, let Craw and Reezy run, feed Sweets underneath, let Mailk and JYD flatten people with nasty picks. To me the key is still size and atleticism around the rim. We have the 7th or 8th, the 30th, possibly something with Butler. The only way I'd forgo size with the 7 is if Gerald Green is available. but trade Marbury? unh-unh.
edsonline
Member: #735
4/15/2005  9:33 AM
That article was so f---ing stupid. Kobe and Marbury aren't going to demand trades. Period. This was something called "The Daily Blog". The @$$hole had nothing to write about that day so this was his emergency/pull a story out of my @$$/completely made up piece of trash story. I freelance write, and back in college I wrote a sports column and the weekly editorial, so I know that you need to have an idea that you can go to when nothing else is happening. The difference is that I have integrity and wouldn't write garbage like this.

[Edited by - edsonline on 04/15/2005 09:34:24]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/15/2005  10:05 AM
add a perimeter defender to balance out the starting lineup to that list of center and shooter because with the current backcourt we have we will continue to be torched every night even with a good Center!
rvhoss
Switzerland
4/15/2005  10:14 AM
still a pretty funny article...I really thought the lakeshow and the knicks were going to be good...but then again, I thought the Timberwolves were going to be good too. I also thought the bucks and suns were gonna suck.

This has been a strange season...that's why I'm not too worried about the knicks, there is no reason why this current batch of players couldn't suddenly win 45 next year.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/15/2005  10:21 AM
slow week in sports? trash the major markets, middle America eats that stuff right up. I'm so sick of ESPN and Sports Illustrated.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/15/2005  10:38 AM
Posted by fishmike:

lol...thank you...what the hell is this guy smokin to propose a trade like that?

how about Marbury & the lottery pick for Kobe?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/15/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by fishmike:

yea it sucks, and isn't spree a FA this year?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
interesting article

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy