[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Amare vs. Jermaine
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/12/2005  9:45 PM
How much better (if at all) is Amare Stoudemire than Jermaine O'Neal? I know Amare gets much more praise here than Jermaine does, but right now I think it's either a tie or a slight advantage to Jermaine O'Neal (when he's healthy). Jermaine's a better rebounder, shot-blocker, and low-post scorer (which is crucial when the pace slows down in the playoffs). Amare's better on the fast break. I know Amare's team has the league's best record while Jermaine's is barely above .500, but just last year it was basically the reverse (Jermaine's had the best record while Amare's was in the lottery).
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/12/2005  9:49 PM
Amare is the fastest big in the league. He's also the quickest. I'm not convinced that Oneal is a better shotblocker, but he is a better rebounder/defender. Amare is far superior on offense. JOneal is more methodical, turn arounds and finesse post moves. Amare is pure power, smooth moves and he's developing a sweet J.

I wouldn't mind getting either one for the MLE.
¿ △ ?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
4/12/2005  10:19 PM
I'll say this for Isiah, he probably would have drafted Amare.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/12/2005  10:33 PM
i'll say both are comparable in terms of offensive skills...Amare's more explosive, but JO's a better defender.

i would say it's almost a wash, w/JO currently holding a slight edge due to his superior D.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Member: #87
4/13/2005  12:13 AM
Jermane slightly right now, but in 3 years, both Jermane and amare better look out for Dwight Howard.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/13/2005  12:17 AM
Posted by tkf:

Jermane slightly right now, but in 3 years, both Jermane and amare better look out for Dwight Howard.....

that's very true. I think he's a better defender than either one, better rebounder too. his offense needs work, but there's time for that.
¿ △ ?
tkf
4/13/2005  12:23 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by tkf:

that's very true. I think he's a better defender than either one, better rebounder too. his offense needs work, but there's time for that.

my son is a huge magic fan, we watch most of the games, I saw howard hit a jump hook with his right hand, then come back and shoot one with the left, and he hit both, I was like wow... I hope the knicks can get a big, a good big soon, because this kid is going to be a beast. Remember what he did to us about a month ago when we played them? yikes....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
4/13/2005  12:24 AM
Both he and Josh smith played together on some team, I could only imagine the dunks going on in that game....

[Edited by - tkf on 04/13/2005 00:26:43]
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/13/2005  2:48 AM
I like J.O. because he plays better D and is better in the half court. Amare wouldn't be half the beast he is now, if he played in the east, his post game is weak. He needs that offense and he needs Steve Nash. AND yeah I said it!!!!
Killa4luv
USA
5/4/2005  3:46 PM
Posted by TMS:

i'll say both are comparable in terms of offensive skills...Amare's more explosive, but JO's a better defender.

i would say it's almost a wash, w/JO currently holding a slight edge due to his superior D.
Jermaine O'neal is a way more polished offensive talent. He is a better shooter and is much better in the post.

Amare is better when the offense is in transition and he moves better without the ball, and he's stronger and more atheletic. Amare's post game is non-existant.

the big difference here is age, Amare is around 22 and J oneal is about 26. I would say Jermaine o'neal is the better player now though. Statistically they are nearly identical.

Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
5/4/2005  5:06 PM
Posted by tkf:

All 3 of them better watch out for Okafor
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2005  5:32 PM
I agree with those who would take Jneal over Amare. Amare is a freak but he needs a Nash/Kidd at PG to win.

Marbury would be the perfect compliment to a guy like Jneal,KG, Duncan, Shaq etc

I prefer the guy with the the great post up game and better defensive because outside of nash and kidd there are no point guards who can win with Amare.

but a post player can carry a team
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
5/4/2005  5:36 PM
What is the latest obsession of comparing Amare to other players in the NBA? My post is going to sound alot like the one in the Duncan thread but oh well...I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. These 2 players play the same position but like the Duncan comparison, they play it extremely different then from one another. Jermaine excels with his back to the basket and taking 17 foot jumpers from the baseline or jumpshots from foul-line extended and Jermaine is also an above average rebounder and good defender/shotblocker. The thing I like about Jermaine is that you dont have to worry about him only being able to play his game because of his surrounding cast. Jermaine will play his game night in night out and will play it well whether he's single-covered or double-teamed.

Amare Stoudamire is a very special player in the NBA but I think you guys are comparing him to the wrong guys. Amare is a freak, he has super athleticism and benefits GREATLY, not just a little bit but GREATLY of having a pass first, running Point Guard on his team like Steve Nash. Amare has greatly improved his shooting from where it was 2 years ago but its still not as good as the Duncans/Garnetts/Jermaines of the world and he's still going to score a majority of his points off of missed shots/putbacks and alley-oops. I understand the argument that some of you will have with what I'm saying and you can say "Amare still puts up the stats night in and night out", yes he does but he is benefited greatly from the system that his team runs and he's a big part of that system but he's not THE system. Players like Duncan and Jermaine are THE SYSTEM, teams get these players and put players around them and run plays on offense through them becuase they are so skilled at what they can do. I'll take the a player like Jermaine and Duncan ANY DAY over Amare.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 05/04/2005 17:38:33]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Killa4luv
USA
5/5/2005  12:11 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:

What is the latest obsession of comparing Amare to other players in the NBA? My post is going to sound alot like the one in the Duncan thread but oh well...I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. These 2 players play the same position but like the Duncan comparison, they play it extremely different then from one another. Jermaine excels with his back to the basket and taking 17 foot jumpers from the baseline or jumpshots from foul-line extended and Jermaine is also an above average rebounder and good defender/shotblocker. The thing I like about Jermaine is that you dont have to worry about him only being able to play his game because of his surrounding cast. Jermaine will play his game night in night out and will play it well whether he's single-covered or double-teamed.

Amare Stoudamire is a very special player in the NBA but I think you guys are comparing him to the wrong guys. Amare is a freak, he has super athleticism and benefits GREATLY, not just a little bit but GREATLY of having a pass first, running Point Guard on his team like Steve Nash. Amare has greatly improved his shooting from where it was 2 years ago but its still not as good as the Duncans/Garnetts/Jermaines of the world and he's still going to score a majority of his points off of missed shots/putbacks and alley-oops. I understand the argument that some of you will have with what I'm saying and you can say "Amare still puts up the stats night in and night out", yes he does but he is benefited greatly from the system that his team runs and he's a big part of that system but he's not THE system. Players like Duncan and Jermaine are THE SYSTEM, teams get these players and put players around them and run plays on offense through them becuase they are so skilled at what they can do. I'll take the a player like Jermaine and Duncan ANY DAY over Amare.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 05/04/2005 17:38:33]
its good to see we all can agree on something.
Amare vs. Jermaine

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy