[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What they're talking about in Detroit...
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/12/2005  9:34 PM
When I drove through Ohio and Detroit, I got a chance to listen to some sports stations. I thought the following discussion were interesting.

One radio host asked callers, "if you were buying stock for the long-term in either Carlos Delfino or Darko Milicic, who would you buy it in." I'd say about two-thirds or three-fourths of callers said Delfino. People were not too high on Delfino, especially since he missed a lot of time due to a knee injury of questionable severity, but they were pretty low on Darko. Most people felt he looked lost and clueless.

The host had an interesting interpretation of the Darko draft selection. He basically said that even though other players would have been better in the long-term for Detroit, the team might not have won the championship last year if they had drafted those players. If they'd drafted Bosh, they wouldn't have traded for Rasheed, who *last year* was a better player than Bosh. If they'd drafted Wade or Carmelo, it would have completely changed the offense and no one knows how the team would have done.

One other thing that I found interesting was how overconfident the fans were in their team. Most fans fell into one of two categories: (a) those who thought the Pistons would undoubtedly beat the Heat and the heat would pose almost no challenge and (b) those who thought Pistons would beat the Heat but in a close series. I think most fans outside of Detroit would pick the Heat, though, over the Pistons. I know I would as long as Shaq and Wade are reasonably healthy.
AUTOADVERT
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/12/2005  10:40 PM
From what I read, Milicic is horrible in practice. No one can justify him getting any real minutes. Interesting take on Bosh versus the Rasheed trade. I am fully confident that the 2003 draft will be remember for a very long time. In my opinion Bosh will blossom into a incredible force in the NBA like Garnett and J O'Neal. Raptors were lucky that Layden didn't bite on making a trade to get that pick. Milicic was a private workout demon. He avoided all the real pre draft tournament games. Smart agent.
I respect Joe Dumars alot. I think he has a good eye for talent but he also reaches sometimes too. While I like Prince, you could have easily replaced him with Carmelo. Not sure if you can call him a draft bust yet, but Milicic is on his way.
Instead of worrying about this age limit, Stern should eliminate these private workouts for these foreign players.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/12/2005  11:38 PM
I was one who dogged the pistons for taking darko over melo, but then they went out and won the championship, winning sometimes covers a lot of mistakes. From what I have heard about darko is that he is a good athlete, lot of potential, you know the usual stuff, would the pistons be better with melo on that team taking minutes away from prince? I don't know, but if the pistons can trade darko for a player and a first round pick, i think people will forget about that draft, and the fact that darko has really done nothing at all in his NBA career so far.. At least Detroit fans...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/13/2005  2:51 AM
I think the Heat win for the same reason i said they would beat LA last year. They have a better team 1-5. They have an advantage at 3 spots, a tie at one (wade-rip) and they lose at the 5. I am not saying rip and wade are the same caliber of player, I'm saying their play will cancel each other out. If Shaq or Wade has an off game they're done.
MaulingandAppalling
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #884
4/13/2005  3:09 AM
Second pick in the draft and the best they can say now is that his very uselessness is what makes him a good pick? when will the excuses run out...
raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/13/2005  3:38 AM
I'm pretty sure darko, who's arguably the most tlaneted big man I've ever seen play in europe, has been broken by larry brown.

I mean, this guy hate young players. Sitting wade and bron during the olymics should've opened people's eyes.

If we could get him on the cheap, I believe that a change of scenary would help him tremendously.
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
4/13/2005  5:27 AM
Posted by raven:

I'm pretty sure darko, who's arguably the most tlaneted big man I've ever seen play in europe, has been broken by larry brown.
Hello, where did you see him play? He was getting 3 minutes per game or less!
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/13/2005  8:53 AM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

Second pick in the draft and the best they can say now is that his very uselessness is what makes him a good pick? when will the excuses run out...

Thank you for saying it!
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
4/13/2005  9:09 AM
when it is all said and done, i would still trade for darko in a heart beat. an athletic big man over 7'0" is hard to come by. but dumars is not an idiot. he knows that this team has two or three years of eastern dominanace if that. then the darko era starts. darko is learning from the best in sheed and big ben on how to play offense and defense everyday in practice. the scouting report says that he is a fast learner so he is soaking this experience up. it is sort of like jermaine o'neal's first three years. the only risk is that darko could walk next year. as far as this year, i am one of those people who think detroit can beat miami. they have more depth in both the front and back court. they are a machine that can turn it on during playoff time. barring any distractions ( like larry brown rumors of leaving), they should meet the spurs in the finals.
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/13/2005  11:09 PM
Did you just say "the era of Darko"? My goodness!

By the way, Jermaine was killing kids in practice in years 1-3, and he gave Shaq fits when they played LA when he was in season 2. Darko's a joke.
MS
Member: #724
4/14/2005  9:21 AM
Anyone who has ever played the game knows its all about confidence, and when you don't have any no matter how good your skills it is very tough to perform.....

Prince is a better fit and as far as all around players go he is up there at the top.....

The Pistons didn't lost out on melo, they lost out on Bosh and Wade
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/14/2005  9:29 AM
Posted by MS:

Anyone who has ever played the game knows its all about confidence, and when you don't have any no matter how good your skills it is very tough to perform.....

Prince is a better fit and as far as all around players go he is up there at the top.....

The Pistons didn't lost out on melo, they lost out on Bosh and Wade
But would they have won the championship last year if they had drafted Bosh (which would mean they wouldn't have traded for Rasheed)? Rasheed's inside presence on defense and ability to spread the offense by hitting 3s were huge. I don't think they would have. And for most organizations a championship opportunity happens like once every thirty years.

Second pick in the draft and the best they can say now is that his very uselessness is what makes him a good pick?

It's a sad excuse, but his uselessness may have indirectly helped them win a championship. With hindsight, if they wanted a player who wouldn't interfere but actually also had better ability to play in the NBA than most think Darko has, they should have traded the #2 pick for two unprotected 1st round picks from a team likely to be in the lottery in the future.
What they're talking about in Detroit...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy