TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/13/2005  12:35 PM
Posted by franco12:

their are two problems with the comparison to NFL

First, the NFL is much more brutal physically

and second, the pay for players and their expected career are much less- you play pro football and you better have an education because in two or three years, you're going to have to get a real job

you can always join the WWE
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
4/13/2005  12:54 PM
I've heard alot of good arguements on both sides of this issue.
On the one hand...
The league wants to spread the payroll base to higher caliber and "prepared" athletes and also veterans (as opposed to rookies)

and on the other hand...
Most inner city kids spend a considerable amount of time playing basketball (primarily) And the talents that come out of that pool are majority of the time- black... For alot of these kids(and their families) the NBA is the only way out of their curent financial and social situation... One could argue that a college scholarship would take care of that kid through his Freshman and sophmore year of college before he is "ready" (20 yrs old) for the NBA. But that arguement falls short because these inner underprivilaged kids are also the same kids who don't usually get into college or even get a decent HS education because of overcrowding, budgets, and the realities of life in the slum...

So in conclusion...
One could argue a very compelling case for both sides of this... but what it comes down to is... Why is this necessary...
I frankly don't think it is...

MS
Member: #724
4/13/2005  1:09 PM
Well the real danger that J' Oneal doesn't realize since he doesn't think things through and opens up his mouth, is that many black teens put little emphasis on getting an education and all there energy on trying to achieve their NBA dream, and most of the uneducated fools that won't believe to hold down a real job and support their families because of it..........

There is a lot of damage being done, we know that amare, kobe, lebron, kg are exceptions to the rule, but many of these kids believe they have a chance when in fact they don't and they are left crippled because they are stupid.....
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/13/2005  4:19 PM
Posted by MS:

Well the real danger that J' Oneal doesn't realize since he doesn't think things through and opens up his mouth, is that many black teens put little emphasis on getting an education and all there energy on trying to achieve their NBA dream, and most of the uneducated fools that won't believe to hold down a real job and support their families because of it..........

There is a lot of damage being done, we know that amare, kobe, lebron, kg are exceptions to the rule, but many of these kids believe they have a chance when in fact they don't and they are left crippled because they are stupid.....

You bring up a very strong point...
But is it fair to prevent a very talented 18 yr old kid WITH the capability to compete at the highest level from entering the NBA because of his age?

The best idea i've heard so far that addresses everyone's concerns is a developmental league. I think it would be flat out wrong to just shut the door on someone with the ability to succeeed, just to prevent others who are not ready from knocking on the door.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/13/2005  4:38 PM
Posted by nyvector16:
Posted by MS:

You bring up a very strong point...
But is it fair to prevent a very talented 18 yr old kid WITH the capability to compete at the highest level from entering the NBA because of his age?

The best idea i've heard so far that addresses everyone's concerns is a developmental league. I think it would be flat out wrong to just shut the door on someone with the ability to succeeed, just to prevent others who are not ready from knocking on the door.

I agree. A developmental league also creates MORE paying professional basketball jobs in this country.
¿ △ ?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/13/2005  5:16 PM
I'm a huge proponent of the impact a college education has on a person's life and the ability to pursue opportunities that wouldn't be there otherwise. Why not put together a faction form Stern's office, the Players' Association and the NCAA and come up with a system that allows players who come out early to go back to school? Let HS guys retain eligibility if they don't get drafted, let others help out with the team. Would this really cost so much considering the billions the NBA owners, players and NCAA make off the game? Can't you support the financial good of the game nd support human beings as well?
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/13/2005  5:53 PM
From a 2003 report:

"Rates were unavailable for 5 of the Sweet Sixteen teams because the Education Department had suppressed them.

Only four of the Sweet Sixteen men's teams had graduation rates of 50% or better: Kansas-73%, Duke and Xavier-67%; and Vanderbilt-62%.

Of the 12 schools in the men’s Sweet Sixteen with below 50% grad rates, seven graduated one-third or fewer of their players: Alabama, Alabama-Birmingham, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Nevada, Oklahoma State and Pittsburgh."

I hope all talented high schooler ballers jump straight to Europe now. They'll be stars there, and make about 300K a year, more than most dentists or professors.

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/13/2005  6:33 PM
Posted by Marv:

I'm a huge proponent of the impact a college education has on a person's life and the ability to pursue opportunities that wouldn't be there otherwise. Why not put together a faction form Stern's office, the Players' Association and the NCAA and come up with a system that allows players who come out early to go back to school? Let HS guys retain eligibility if they don't get drafted, let others help out with the team. Would this really cost so much considering the billions the NBA owners, players and NCAA make off the game? Can't you support the financial good of the game nd support human beings as well?
Well thats not really how capitalism works, Capitalism is about profit and thats it. But I agree with you that something could and should be done about this.

They could guarantee a player a full scholarship regardless of what. If he gets cut, he still can finish up there and get his degree, however long it takes. That would be revolutionary, but the NCAA owes its atheletes that much. You are really talking about less than 100 people, so its not even a significant proportion of the population. They make you millions, you guarantee that they have a shot at adecent life through college. If they did this guys would go to college just to get that guarantee. Everyone would do at least a year, just to give them the security that their lives would be alright basketball or not.

College was the best time of my life socially and intellectually, theres no reason why these young guys should be denied that if they lose their skills or injure themselves. The NCAA is exploitation at its finest.
J. O'Neal Thinks NBA Age Limit Has Racist Undertones

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy