[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

J. O'Neal Thinks NBA Age Limit Has Racist Undertones
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/12/2005  3:50 PM
Kirk Hinrich, Matt Harpring, Wally Szcerbiak & Mike Bibby would qualify as well.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/12/2005  4:16 PM
call me cynical, but this age limit is about money.

If a player comes in as an 18 year old, he's going to escalate on his salary and max out earlier in his career and be a top earner, longer.

Also, this would be helping out colleges to a tremendous degree, and there is a ton of money there.

I bet every big college program has some kind of contact with David Stern and I bet they lobby for this sort of reform.

Its hypocritical for Stern to push this when an 18 year old LeBron is the second coming of Jordan and will do more to increase the value of the Cavalier franchise and of the NBA altogether.

[Edited by - franco12 on 04/12/2005 16:25:27]
OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
4/12/2005  4:23 PM
Its all about the green man, nothing to do with skin color. Its straight cash just like the last post said.

Excellent point.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/12/2005  4:41 PM
Posted by franco12:

call me cynical, but this age limit is about money.

If a player comes in as an 18 year old, he's going to escalate on his salary and max out earlier in his career and be a top earner, longer.

Also, this would be helping out colleges to a tremendous degree, and there is a ton of money there.

I bet every big college program has some kind of contact with David Stern and I bet they lobby for this sort of reform.

Its hypocritical for Stern to push this when an 18 year old LeBron is the second coming of Jordan and will do more to increase the value of the Cavalier franchise and of the NBA altogether.

[Edited by - franco12 on 04/12/2005 16:25:27]

Wrong, Its about the man aka "whitie" trying to bring us down.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
4/12/2005  8:06 PM
Posted by tkf:

this is a tough topic, and although i see where jermain was comming from, I don't agree that there were racist motives behind the decision. I know I went to college and graduated and then attended grad school and it was a great experience for me, one that will benefit me for a life time. I also know that college may not be for everyone, but neither is making the jump from HS to the pros either. Now I know there are some guys who are ready, guys like Lebron was, Kobe, T-mac, and garnett all have had great success, but just look at all of the failures. If these kids want to play pro ball, then go to europe or the NBDL until they are 20 and enter the draft afterwards... I think this rule will help more than it hurts and in the long run will be better for the game, and for the NBA that is what matters and for me a big fan of the NBA, that matters a lot to me also...

I just wish these kids get better advice, really good advice, once the ball stops bouncing and they have to make a living outside of basketball I would love to see these kid have some real choices because they made good choices when they were younger. I addressed this before, I looked at guys like Monta Ellis and louis williams and listening to these guys speak I wondered how they ever made it out of 10th grade english. Now I hate to judge these guys this way, but listening to the other guys, the guys going to college who want to be student athletes first, it was a huge difference, and that to me makes a big difference, Just listen to guys like Kobe, lebron, jason kidd, look how well they speak, how they carry themselves, to me that goes a long way, not only on the court but in life. I am not saying these guys are angels, but they are well educated enough to have success after basketball. Now we know that kobe and lebron did not go to college but again,they are the exception, not the rule, I think the 20year age rule will help a lot of players, if anything, by time they go to the pros they are, hopefully a little more prepared and polish for the grind of the NBA life...

Speaking of 10th grade english...well nevermind

It's funny how you can write a research paper and still have no idea what you are talking about.

David Stern couldn't care any more or less about a 18 year going to college and getting an education than you do.

You graduated college in two years?
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
TMS
USA
4/12/2005  8:25 PM
here we go again
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/12/2005  8:35 PM
Funny how 18 year olds can vote for our country's leaders, fight for our country in war, play a professional sport, but can't drink beer.
#Knickstaps
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/12/2005  8:37 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Funny how 18 year olds can vote for our country's leaders, fight for our country in war, play a professional sport, but can't drink beer.

Name me one 18 year old in this country who hasn't drunk a beer.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/12/2005  9:43 PM
On the radio, they were interpreting this as a power struggle between Stern and O'Neal. Stern suspended Jermaine and his teammates and Jermaine's going to try to be a thorn in Stern's back from now on. He knows that he's one of the best examples of a player that succeeded right after high school and this is a perfect situation for him to grab attention.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/12/2005  9:54 PM
Posted by TMS:

here we go again

this is fantastic. where did you get that animation?
¿ △ ?
TMS
USA
4/12/2005  10:25 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by TMS:

here we go again

this is fantastic. where did you get that animation?

it's 1 of the smileys off my forums.
BigC
Member: #829
4/12/2005  11:25 PM
I think there should not be an age limit. Many of the top 10 players in the league did not go to college.

Top NBA players Lebron, Kobe Tmac, Garnett, Amare, J Oneal.

Even look at Dwight Howard who did not go to college but will probably be a great NBA player.

To say a player is better off going to college really depends on an individual. If a player is going to college they are only spending one year not 4 years. People are saying that for every kid drafted out of HS there is a kid that did not make it. However the same thing can be said for a player that spends four years in college being a bust.
The college is game is different from the NBA game. For some players it is better to get the NBA experience early, rather than later.
Example Kobe.

What you guys don't understand is Stern, and the NCAA could careless about these HS kids development. The bottom line is money is involved. NCAA is losing tons of money because a Lebron James is no longer going to college instead they are going the NBA.
As far as Stern is concern these young kids out of HS are making too much money at an early age.

What I mean is, for Example Lebron is going to get three or more big contracts because he is coming in a earlier age. Compared to Lebron coming in at age 21 were he would only get 1 or maybe 2 big contract.

The NBA is trying to save money. Do not get fooled by the media and Stern. They are trying to cut the money that is spreading out to these young kids.

BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
bigpimpin
Member: #801
USA
4/12/2005  11:40 PM
Big C,

you reiterate my line of thinking. Stern could care less if these guys could read or write.

It's bigger than education
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
BigC
Member: #829
4/12/2005  11:57 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

Big C,

you reiterate my line of thinking. Stern could care less if these guys could read or write.

It's bigger than education

I'm glad we are on the same page. The colleges don't care about these kids and neither does the NBA care about these kids. People needs to understand this is about money not these young guys education.
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/13/2005  1:13 AM
http://nbadraft.net/draftbuzz033.asp

this is a decent read about the possible positives of an age limit. I'm glad Jermaine said something, but I don't know... I'll say this: an age limit works for the NFL and for every Jermaine O'neal and Lebron, there will be 50 Omar Cooks. If the league actually develops an NBDL and pays these kids somewhere around $30,000-50,000 a season, I mean if anything that's MORE PAYING basketball jobs and it gets kids who would usually only summer league games a chance to work on their games and get seen.

I think the screwed up thing in this is the NCAA. That crap is a racket. NCAA players should be paid. If the NCAA needs to keep the money in a "trust fund" until the kid graduates, fine, but these kids are making a lot of money. I do think it would be great to see a March Madness tournie with Wade, Lebron and Melo.

The main point I agree with in the article above is, if going straight to the NBA wasn't an option for these kids, they would probably get much better grades in high school to keep their college eligibility in check.
¿ △ ?
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
4/13/2005  3:18 AM
O'Neal is totally right. Who cried when Boris Becker won Wimbledon at age 17?

"How many players came out of high school and didn't make the NBA, had no chance at college and went on to do nothing? You could say Stern is helping those guys out, and given the overall breakdown of the highschoolers, most are african american."

Not that many, really, compared to the number who could have come out, went to college, and languished while agents lost interest. And of those who went to college, what is the graduate rate for NCAA male basketball players? This is reprehensible.

simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/13/2005  3:48 AM
Excellent point about the graduation rates, you would be shocked if you actually checked it out. Not too many even get past year 2.

The NBA is basically their one shot at a good life, and now the somebody wants to take that away becasue they want the big talents to make money for the NCAA.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TMS
USA
4/13/2005  10:49 AM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

O'Neal is totally right. Who cried when Boris Becker won Wimbledon at age 17?

i don't remember anyone crying when Lebron won ROY last year either...or when Amare won the year before.
franco12
Member: #599
USA
4/13/2005  12:15 PM
their are two problems with the comparison to NFL

First, the NFL is much more brutal physically

and second, the pay for players and their expected career are much less- you play pro football and you better have an education because in two or three years, you're going to have to get a real job
Silverfuel
Member: #268
USA
4/13/2005  12:21 PM
Posted by franco12:

and second, the pay for players and their expected career are much less- you play pro football and you better have an education because in two or three years, you're going to have to get a real job
This is so true. I hadnt thought about this one. Good point franco.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
J. O'Neal Thinks NBA Age Limit Has Racist Undertones

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy