[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

man... the more I watch Sea, the more I think
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/10/2005  9:08 PM
That Nate can really help us. He's a coach FA so no tampering, no compensation and he's not a sexy name that will cose $6-7mm a year. He's tough guard that understands how to really get guys to play a style that he played. I also think we have some similar players.

Its pretty obvious Herb wont be back which is a little sad but he got screwed by the timing of it all.

Obviously it still comes down to who we draft but if we could just make one lateral type trade to get some uptempo guys in here we could really improve quickly
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/10/2005  9:56 PM
do you really think this team will respond to him though fish? i just feel that it will take a guy w/some clout...not to say Nate's a bad coach, but it's going to take more than clever schemes & motivational speeches to get this team working hard...it's going to take a sense of fear, which breeds respect...i don't know that Nate's going to command the respect of these players the way he'll need to in order for this team to turn itself around...but who knows i guess...he has done a great job w/SEA this year.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/10/2005  10:05 PM
Posted by TMS:

do you really think this team will respond to him though fish? i just feel that it will take a guy w/some clout...not to say Nate's a bad coach, but it's going to take more than clever schemes & motivational speeches to get this team working hard...it's going to take a sense of fear, which breeds respect...i don't know that Nate's going to command the respect of these players the way he'll need to in order for this team to turn itself around...but who knows i guess...he has done a great job w/SEA this year.

he just re-signed today, so he wont be here. i think hes a good coach, but i also think seattle is a one year wonder
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/10/2005  10:19 PM
Posted by TMS:

I might have to agree with you on this one, you are right, the knicks might need a coach like phil, to get these guys right, plus the triangle is a offense that requires a lot of dicipline, something this team needs, but I think it will help guys like crawford and guys like ariza may benefit also... I hate it for herb though, I really like him..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/10/2005  10:33 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by TMS:

Like the Bucks last year
he just re-signed today, so he wont be here. i think hes a good coach, but i also think seattle is a one year wonder

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 04/11/2005 07:56:47]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/10/2005  10:38 PM
I hate for Herb to be fired and put through that whole thing.

Still I'm not for all that yelling, cursing and stuff from a coach. These guys are professionals. The guys just need a coach that fits what Isiah is trying to do.....Work a system that fits that plan. The players have to buy into it.

Besides...this current Knicks team is not the same team that will start the 2005 season and that team won't be the same team at the Feb trade deadline.

Whoever is the sucker......I mean coach.....he will definately be in for a ride.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
4/11/2005  7:12 AM
Posted by TMS:

Oh well.. that does that. I think clout is a little overrated. Even the best coaches have had guys quit on them. What I like about Nate is the kind of player he was. I think he's a guy that could put our guards is good positions to do what they excel at. One of the problems with Herb is he thinks like a center and coaches a team with no centers.
TMS
USA
4/11/2005  9:03 AM
then don't you think Isiah would be better qualified, since he knows this roster alot better than anyone, & he knows exactly how he wants Stephon to play?...Marbury will really listen to Isiah, we all saw that earlier this season after Isiah told him that he thought he was the worst defensive G in the NBA...we saw an immediate change in his play...it didn't last more than several games, but at least it was a start...Isiah would be on his arse everyday in practice, & i really think that's what this team needs to learn how to play around Marbury, because afterall, whether everyone here likes it or not, Marbury's the #1 option on this team...they need to learn how to play like a team w/Marbury leading the charge.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/11/2005  10:02 AM
i think at this point, after bringing in that many dollars and putting a roster of HIS players (sans h20), and after a DISAPPOINTING season, i think isiah should come down, coach this mess, and bring in somebody to be assistant GM (like walsh, petrie, etc). i think if dolan wants phil, then isiah's days here are numbered b/c they can't co-exist.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/11/2005  10:07 AM
I think Mo Cheeks wouldn't be a bad choice- I thought he had done a reasonable job while he's been in portland & had to contend with a lot of headaches.

a defensive minded pg like cheeks was would be a benefit perhaps to our defensively-challanged back court duo of Marbs & Craw.
fishmike
USA
4/11/2005  12:26 PM
TMS... you know I would love ISiah to coach. Thats my #1 choice, but I dont think its happening. unless he can get Walsh in to do the full time GM duties I dont think you can do both.

He's said over and over he wont do it though.. so I just didnt bother to list it as an option. Give Herb another year, I dont care
TMS
USA
4/11/2005  12:35 PM
i think Isiah is waiting until he can get the roster the way he wants it, & then would be open to taking over as the coach...he's always said he plans on coaching again in the NBA...what better way to prove himself than to take on the roster HE built & leading them to a championship as their coach? i don't think that's ever been done in the NBA, has it?
fishmike
USA
4/15/2005  9:41 AM
he's not resigned and apparently isnt close to being resigned. Just read that today... keep in on the list of possibles
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/15/2005  10:51 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i think at this point, after bringing in that many dollars and putting a roster of HIS players (sans h20), and after a DISAPPOINTING season, i think isiah should come down, coach this mess, and bring in somebody to be assistant GM (like walsh, petrie, etc).
So every time a GM increases the payroll by about 20% and has a disappointing season, he should become the coach? I think we'd have about five new GM/Coaches every year. That just doesn't strike me as a bright plan.
TMS
USA
4/15/2005  10:54 AM
it's a very reasonable plan when you consider the fact that these guys that Isiah's bringing in haven't responded to the past 3 coaches who coached them...if they don't respond to Isiah, who WILL they respond to?

at least this way you cut out all the excuses & lay the responsibility all on Isiah...he brought these guys in, he should see if he can coach them now. he has prior coaching & had a HOF career as a player w/extensive experience in the postseason...we aren't talking about Scott Layden taking over the reigns here.

[Edited by - TMS on 04/15/2005 10:56:13]
fishmike
USA
4/15/2005  11:01 AM
20% ??? Whats this? Just one day or something? I bet next year its 40%, then 80%, etc. Isiah has probably added over 100% in total future payroll. Thats a lot when you dont care about winning now.

Isiah will never coach. We wasnt a great x's and o's guy in Indy, and we wont subject himself to the boos and press bashing that will follow when he leads a $110mm roster he created to 35 wins. He wont do it.. no way no how.

Herb will probably be the coach keeping another excuse in his pocket when we start 15-30 next year.
Bonn1997
USA
4/15/2005  11:10 AM
Posted by fishmike:

20% ??? Whats this? Just one day or something? I bet next year its 40%, then 80%, etc. Isiah has probably added over 100% in total future payroll. Thats a lot when you dont care about winning now.

Isiah will never coach. We wasnt a great x's and o's guy in Indy, and we wont subject himself to the boos and press bashing that will follow when he leads a $110mm roster he created to 35 wins. He wont do it.. no way no how.

Herb will probably be the coach keeping another excuse in his pocket when we start 15-30 next year.
He was talking about *this* year's team performance; so I was talking about this year's payroll.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/15/2005 11:13:21]
Bonn1997
USA
4/15/2005  11:11 AM
Posted by TMS:

it's a very reasonable plan when you consider the fact that these guys that Isiah's bringing in haven't responded to the past 3 coaches who coached them...if they don't respond to Isiah, who WILL they respond to?

at least this way you cut out all the excuses & lay the responsibility all on Isiah...he brought these guys in, he should see if he can coach them now. he has prior coaching & had a HOF career as a player w/extensive experience in the postseason...we aren't talking about Scott Layden taking over the reigns here.

[Edited by - TMS on 04/15/2005 10:56:13]

Most of them won't respond to many coaches and are probably not part of the long-term plan.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/15/2005  11:13 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

i think at this point, after bringing in that many dollars and putting a roster of HIS players (sans h20), and after a DISAPPOINTING season, i think isiah should come down, coach this mess, and bring in somebody to be assistant GM (like walsh, petrie, etc).
So every time a GM increases the payroll by about 20% and has a disappointing season, he should become the coach? I think we'd have about five new GM/Coaches every year. That just doesn't strike me as a bright plan.

oh boy...by the way you talk about payroll, i'm assuming you're a multi-millionaire.

for all the rest of us back here on earth, he adding $150 mil in marbury and penny. $56 mil in jamal. $32 mil this past deadline. and $28 mil in jyd. all the while giving up not even close to 40% of that.

you're right fish, isiah would never coach b/c he knows he made a MESS. if he was going to "man up" and put his mouth where dolan's wallet is, then he should but he won't.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/15/2005  11:14 AM
I agree with you fully fishmike. Ever since Jeff Van Gundy quit, the excuse has been coaching, from Chaney to Herb, meanwhile nobody just takes a look and realize that the roster is an absolute mess andnobody is following the pattern, even though it's been going and going since 2001. Heck, even 1999. (When JVGs head was being called for, even though the chemistry was an absolute mess until right around playoff time, magically.) The Knicks will never become successful until the GM starts taking some accountability, whether it is Isiah, Scott Layden or Ernie Grunfield. But it hasn't been happening, and we haven't had a winning season in forever now, and it's starting to get old and frustrating. The 90% of Knick fans who go the "Lets just fire the coach way." deserve the dissapointment b/c they just don't think.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
man... the more I watch Sea, the more I think

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy