http://www.ashesandsnow.org/

Jean-Michel Basquiat

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/2005/basquiat/
AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/11/2005  9:16 AM
Im a huge fan of Basquiat.when I lived in NYC,he wrote one of his famous "SAMO" tags on the wall of an art gallery across the street from where I lived.Maybe he was PO'd that they wouldnt buy his art,the morons.

Ive been trying to find an original "Warhol vs. Basquiat" poster myself.Ever see the movie about him? Its amazing.Great acting and Claire Forlani mmmmmmmm.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/12/2005  7:48 AM
Kwaz - the poster's up on ebay

http://www.basquiat.net/
Kwazimodal
4/12/2005  9:11 AM
Thanks Marv.Ive been looking on Ebay but unfortunately alot of those originals I see there are fakes.Ive bought alot of movie posters on Ebay over the last 5 years.Most of the dealers used to be honest but now thats a very different story.

I e-mailed the gallery about the authenticity of a poster on Ebay that a dealer claimed was from them but never heard back.Im assuming the answer is no.

Its probably out of my price range right now anyway.The one I want was selling for over a grand a few years ago at Christies.Its probably alot more now.

Thanks for looking into it Marv.Much appreciated.
MinsHeartsReezy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #872
USA
4/18/2005  10:44 PM
I had to go the the brooklyn museum for an assignment this past weekend and I got lazy when I looked at the map & saw that I had to take 4 trains (on a weekend schedule on top of that) and will probably end up going to the MET this week.
The Ashes & snow collection from what I see on the site is quite breathtaking. I'm Sri Lankan so anytime I see elephants I go nuts and look to see where the pictures were taken. And some of the photos were taken in Sri Lanka so I was right. I went back to SL about 2 years ago and went on an elephant safari in Udawalawe and they are amazing creatures. It was a great experience. I could just watch them all day. Its a sad situation down there because the population is dwindling and even the park land isn't enough to sustain them.

I dont collect much art but I do paint, and no, not fingerpaint lol. Do either of you guys paint?
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
4/18/2005  11:00 PM
Posted by MinsHeartsReezy:

anytime I see elephants I go nuts and look to see where the pictures were taken.

Since the Knicks suck, I figured you can use something to go nuts about
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
4/18/2005  11:16 PM
Thanks

Has anyone ever gotten to ride an elephant? Scary as heck but its awesome. lol....and to spare you guys some pain, if u ever do, wear the thickest pants you can find. Their hairs are thick & prick like crazy...lets just say I found out the hard way.
Marv
4/19/2005  1:34 PM
Oh you definitely should see the snow and ash exhibit. I think it's there through the 1st week of June. You'll be in elephant heaven! The atmosphere of this exhibit is one of the most mesmerizing and transporting that I've ever experienced. The music, lighting, walkway, layout, the incredible temporary housing that they've constructed for this exhibit. And the photographs!! I have never ever seen photos anything like this. The juxtaposition of animals with children is fascinating, deep, mind-expanding; if you're into this sort of thing, you'll find yourself musing about the nature of life, people, wisdom, the regality of animals. There's also a video playing that's surreal and captivating. Not everyone I've spoken to has responded as strongly as me to this exhibit, but I give it a resounding A+.

What kind of painting do you do? I draw, almost exclusively faces. I'm looking to move into color eventually but I still have a lot of technique I want to try to master first.
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
4/20/2005  11:07 AM
I paint with acrylic and the paintings I've done so far are basically a few still lifes and some drapery. I'm still trying to learn the different techniques too. Acrylic is very versatile but it dries really fast so blending is somewhat difficult.
I think drawing is definately a difficult skill to master and I still stink at it lol. But As far as moving into color, I think its great you're developing into it because art is like building, you do it piece by piece. What media are you using to draw & do you draw from pictures or real life?
Marv
4/20/2005  10:38 PM
Ah Mins, the acrylics, that sounds great. I gotta get there at some point. I use charcoal, graphite, conte crayons and ink. I swear my best work has been done on napkins in bars and restaurants. I guess it's something about being loose!

I've taken a few classes at the 92nd St. Y where we worked with models. I like that place, pretty mellow atmosphere and the teachers are good.
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
4/21/2005  1:09 AM
Lol..maybe its something about being loose or just the spontaninity. Who knows maybe you should save all those drawings and make it into a series and make it kinda of your thing :) I've always wanted to take an anatomy drawing class. I was looking into a masters degree in medical illustration and that was one of the required courses but I dont think I'll have the time to build up a good portfolio b/c i'm taking the august MCATs. Would have been a blast though.

I think the teachers have a lot to do with really creating the atmosphere of the classes and really creating interest in the students. I had a drawing professor once who kind of made the class borderline busy-work and its just not the way art should be.
Marv
4/21/2005  12:25 PM
Masters in medical illustration! THat's some hardcore technical drawing. That stuff is mindboggling.

The MCAT's, huh? That's some intense studying. Just don't get too busy to hit the museums and galleries!

My favorite art teacher was a guy in his 90's. He was a real ballbuster and hysterical. He would come up to me, point to the model and say, "Tell me something. Do you see a beard on this girl?" When I'd say no, he'd say, "Then why did you draw one on her!!!!" My great shading
Kwazimodal
4/21/2005  12:45 PM
I had an art teacher from hell.I went to a Jesuit High school and the art teacher,a brother had a stick with a metal piece on the end.When you didnt answer the question right he would smack you with it.Art is pain.

To answer your previous question MinsHeartsReezy,Im teaching myself to draw storyboards for screenplays Im working on but so far it looks like stick figure theater.Im probably going to have to hire someone to do it for me.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 04/21/2005 12:48:01]
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
4/22/2005  11:55 AM
Lol oh my goodness..kwazimodal! I didn't think they could do that to kids here. My sister when she was in a sri lankan catholic school they used to do the ruler punishment too and the whole go kneel in the corner thing.

drawing storyboards sounds like a lot of fun. I think maybe some gesture drawing would work well for the storyboards, right marv? kinda get a quick jist of your idea on paper and just erase & fill in the blanks.

>>>My favorite art teacher was a guy in his 90's. He was a real ballbuster and hysterical. He would come up to me, point to the model and say, "Tell me something. Do you see a beard on this girl?" When I'd say no, he'd say, "Then why did you draw one on her!!!!" My great shading >>>

Thats definately a better environment to be working in :)
I had a funny english teacher once in JHS in the mid 90's sometime. We'd be reading shakespeare and the next day he would be starting a up a paper fight. Man those were the days! My band teacher was pretty much a loose cannon, if you mess up he'll either make fun of you or yell at u like crazy. lol..that wasn't fun but i did learn.

[Edited by - minsheartsreezy on 04/22/2005 11:56:48]

[Edited by - minsheartsreezy on 04/22/2005 11:58:38]
Any art lovers?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy