[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jalen on the Knicks? Why not - give 'em Lil Penny
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
4/8/2005  7:30 PM
"He probably was a little tired from All-Star Weekend. While he was running up and down the court throwing it off the backboard, I was laying on the beach drinking a fruity drink with an umbrella. So I probably gave myself an unfair advantage on that one."
– Jalen explaining why he outplayed Carter two days after the All-Star Game
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
4/8/2005  7:32 PM
Get Jalen for the jokes at least...

here's a quality one: "Like I told the guys earlier, once he turns 21 and is able to drink, it's over."
– Jalen after LeBron scored 56 on the Raptors
Caseloads
4/8/2005  7:32 PM
"There's always going to be criticism when your name is Jalen. You have to wear a bulletproof vest and be ready for it."
– Jalen on himself
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
4/8/2005  8:01 PM
hell no, jalen WILL NOT be helping the future of this team
http://allknicks.com
edsonline
Member: #735
4/8/2005  8:03 PM
If NYK can't move Tim or Penny in a package for a young All-Star level player, I'd be happy to get Jalen for one of them. He's a funny MFer too.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/9/2005  1:33 AM
I'd take Jalen, he brings alot to the table on ofense. He can shoot, and we are lacking shooters. His offensive game is where I would like Ariza's to be, of course with the added explosiveness. Or crawfords for that matter. He could help us in the short run, while we groom Ariza.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/9/2005  8:58 AM
somehow I doubt Toronto would be satisfied to trade Jalen for Penny & just trim one year off their team total- they would probably insist upon dumping all their bad contracts on us, and getting a pick & sweetney & penny.

But, Jalen could do what penny showed signs of doing for us- be that veteren off the bench, backing up 1,2 & 3 and giving us some scoring & outside shooting.

Heck, he might even deserve to start over TT or Crawford.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/9/2005  9:36 AM
somehow I doubt Toronto would be satisfied to trade Jalen for Penny & just trim one year off their team total- they would probably insist upon dumping all their bad contracts on us, and getting a pick & sweetney & penny.

for Jalen? are you serious? they couldn't give him away last season in any deal...they'd jump all over the chance to unload that extra $17 million he's due in 2007 imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/9/2005  12:34 PM
Grant Hill seems to be out for the season. Would anyone take the risk with say Penny or TT???
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/9/2005  12:47 PM
Penny might be a shell of his former self but at least he has the right attitude and has had some good moments as a Knick.Rose might give us more production but he wears out his welcome wherever he goes.This team needs to build some chemistry.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/9/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Penny might be a shell of his former self but at least he has the right attitude and has had some good moments as a Knick.Rose might give us more production but he wears out his welcome wherever he goes.This team needs to build some chemistry.

right. one of the knicks biggest problems is that they are not a team, but rather a collection of players. and yes there is a difference. what does jalen rose do here? he's going to be 32 and has two years on his contract. how does that build a team?

Im a big proponenet of having a 3-4 man draft like chicago had. I think for us, it's the best move we can make. were not 1 player away from winning a championship, were light years away. you see what GS and Chicago Pheonix have done? they were able to draft young guys play them together then when the time was right bring in the vet player that made sense. we really dont have 1 good young player. what we have are fringe players, i think a mike Sweetney could have a great role as a bench player who can come in and gice you 10 and 6 shooting 50%, but he also has to take it upon himslef to get his weight under control. i like ariza a lot as a bench player who brings energy, i think he has been stymied a bit since herb came in, threw off his regular minutes

but right now i have very little hope. i do think when all is said and done isiah will be going after the jalen rose's the mike finleys the theo ratliff's. why should we even care about the draft, if he said last years sucked which it clearly did nOt, you think hes making picks this year? nO. hes not building a team, hes just fooling himself, the mamangement of the knicks and the fans with crap. hes been a revolving door and I dont see it changing. you get upset as a fan and it tires on you, but there is nothing you can do about it. we had it good in the 90s we had a high IQ management team and now we dont, clear simple cut and dry. we dont have the brains to compete.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/9/2005  1:49 PM
If Toronto would take Penny for Jalen, I would make them give us a first round pick. We'd be saving them $17 million american dollars, that has to be worth a first rounder. if not, hang up the phone.

I'm not proposing JUST buying a first rounder for $17 million either, I think Jalen would actually be a good fit for Steph. They both have the "us against the world" attitude. As much as I don't like that attitude, as long as Steph is here the team is going to have it, so we might as well build on it.

I don't think a team of "good guys" will necessarily fit in with Steph. Jalen is a personality that could keep Steph in check, maybe not the RIGHT personality, but I think a better fit than Penny.

But, people who say this is more adding money for just a pick and an old player, I can't really argue with that.

I have a weird feeling that Jalen will end up here somehow.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
4/9/2005  1:57 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

If Toronto would take Penny for Jalen, I would make them give us a first round pick. We'd be saving them $17 million american dollars, that has to be worth a first rounder. if not, hang up the phone.

I'm not proposing JUST buying a first rounder for $17 million either, I think Jalen would actually be a good fit for Steph. They both have the "us against the world" attitude. As much as I don't like that attitude, as long as Steph is here the team is going to have it, so we might as well build on it.

I don't think a team of "good guys" will necessarily fit in with Steph. Jalen is a personality that could keep Steph in check, maybe not the RIGHT personality, but I think a better fit than Penny.

But, people who say this is more adding money for just a pick and an old player, I can't really argue with that.

Like an earlier post said, Isiah has turned this into the cap relief central for the NBA. Remember he GAVE the Rockets a 2 AND we TOOK on 15mm in salaries for Mo Taylor. Like I said, i read a post where they had like 80 replies to how stupid and dumb this made the Knicks look. every team thinks they can dump on us, and to soem extent they can--you are right, to take 17MM dollars off someone hands for a 32 year old player is WORTH 2 first round picks, heck Utah made Pheonix pay them 2 for 5 mm
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
USA
4/9/2005  2:07 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by crzymdups:

Like an earlier post said, Isiah has turned this into the cap relief central for the NBA. Remember he GAVE the Rockets a 2 AND we TOOK on 15mm in salaries for Mo Taylor. Like I said, i read a post where they had like 80 replies to how stupid and dumb this made the Knicks look. every team thinks they can dump on us, and to soem extent they can--you are right, to take 17MM dollars off someone hands for a 32 year old player is WORTH 2 first round picks, heck Utah made Pheonix pay them 2 for 5 mm

Agreed. I just feel like this team is already in cap hell and adding a year to Penny's deal would be worth the pick. We need the talent. You know Penny is going to leave in some other stupid trade anyway, rather than expire. Remember, Zeke's favorite assets for the team are expiring deals.

I thought we only took back one extra year on Mo Taylor?
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
4/9/2005  2:12 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by crzymdups:

Agreed. I just feel like this team is already in cap hell and adding a year to Penny's deal would be worth the pick. We need the talent. You know Penny is going to leave in some other stupid trade anyway, rather than expire. Remember, Zeke's favorite assets for the team are expiring deals.

I thought we only took back one extra year on Mo Taylor?

NO, Mo Taylor--after this year has two more years and 19mm$avg9.5mm per Malik has 3 more year at an average of 7mm
RIP Crushalot😞
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/9/2005  5:17 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

right. one of the knicks biggest problems is that they are not a team, but rather a collection of players. and yes there is a difference. what does jalen rose do here? he's going to be 32 and has two years on his contract. how does that build a team?

Im a big proponenet of having a 3-4 man draft like chicago had. I think for us, it's the best move we can make. were not 1 player away from winning a championship, were light years away. you see what GS and Chicago Pheonix have done? they were able to draft young guys play them together then when the time was right bring in the vet player that made sense. we really dont have 1 good young player. what we have are fringe players, i think a mike Sweetney could have a great role as a bench player who can come in and gice you 10 and 6 shooting 50%, but he also has to take it upon himslef to get his weight under control. i like ariza a lot as a bench player who brings energy, i think he has been stymied a bit since herb came in, threw off his regular minutes

but right now i have very little hope. i do think when all is said and done isiah will be going after the jalen rose's the mike finleys the theo ratliff's. why should we even care about the draft, if he said last years sucked which it clearly did nOt, you think hes making picks this year? nO. hes not building a team, hes just fooling himself, the mamangement of the knicks and the fans with crap. hes been a revolving door and I dont see it changing. you get upset as a fan and it tires on you, but there is nothing you can do about it. we had it good in the 90s we had a high IQ management team and now we dont, clear simple cut and dry. we dont have the brains to compete.

Great post.In his prime,Ewing had a team that in many ways reflected his personality.A warrior,defensive minded,hard working,etc..I think Riley/Grunfeld saw what they had to work with in Ewing and made the adjustments.

If Marbury is to be the centerpiece of this franchise we need to find players that reflect and compliment his personality as a player (the good parts) IMO.

I understand why he drafted Ariza and traded for TT and Crawford.He saw them as diamonds in the rough that could bring in a high powered offense to NY eventually.What they dont bring so far is any kind of consistency or intensity (sorry Walt).So far no diamonds,just coal.

It was a gamble and so far it hasnt paid off but I understand what he is trying to do.What got me upset was when he strayed from this and his other goal of not taking on more excessive,unwarranted contracts by aquiring Rose/Taylor.Players that would take PT from the younger guys which I knew would happen.Its the Knicks M.O. unfortunately.

I dont believe Crawford is beyond help,or Ariza of course,TT is another matter and so is Isiah sticking to his plan of building a good,uptempo team.Every detour he takes with these trades(Taylor/Rose) moves us further away from a championship,its already too far as it is.

My problem isnt with his plan to shed contracts and bring in more offensive firepower,its that he isnt sticking to it.I believe the right coach could help Isiah reach his goal but he has to stop sabotaging his chances with these lousy trades.

crzymdups
USA
4/9/2005  6:01 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

NO, Mo Taylor--after this year has two more years and 19mm$avg9.5mm per Malik has 3 more year at an average of 7mm

Right, but what I meant was, Vin Baker and Moochie each had 1 more year left and Mo Taylor has two more years. So really, we only added a year of salary in that deal.

The Rose trade was bad in terms of salary, because we paid like $14 million (more than Nazr's contract) for two picks.
¿ △ ?
rojasmas
Member: #639
4/9/2005  8:32 PM
I dont know man, maybe I am just burnt out but I don't get too excited with any of the names being bandied about: Jalen Rose, Ricky Davis, Kwame Brown, Zach Randolph. None of these guys are difference makers. Maybe you can win 45 games instead of 40 with them but big deal, you still ain't going anywhere.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Jalen on the Knicks? Why not - give 'em Lil Penny

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy