Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/8/2005  10:40 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12780383-13762,00.html

Sony patents 'real life Matrix'
From correspondents in Paris
April 07, 2005

THE Japanese entertainment giant Sony has patented an idea for transmitting data directly into the brain, with the goal of enabling a person to see movies and play video games in which they smell, taste and perhaps even feel things, it was reported today.

The patent - based only on a theory, not on any invention - marks the first step towards a "real-life Matrix", New Scientist says in next Saturday's issue.
In the sci-fi film of that name, cyber-reality is projected into the brains of people via an electrode feed at the back of their necks.

In Sony's patent, the technique would be entirely non-invasive - it would not use brain implants or other surgery to manipulate the brain.

The patent has few details, describing only a device that would fire pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify the firing patterns of neurons in targeted parts of the brain.

The aim, it says, is to create "sensory experiences" ranging from moving images to tastes and sounds.

New Scientist said it was denied an interview with the inventor, who is based at a Sony office in San Diego, California.

Sony Electronics spokeswoman Elizabeth Boukis said the work was a "prophetic invention" and no experiments at all had been done on it.

"It was based on an inspiration that this may someday be the direction that technology will take us," she told New Scientist.

Independent experts said they did not dismiss the idea out of hand, although they also cautioned about the proposed method's long-term safety.

So far, the only non-invasive way for manipulating the brain is crude.

A technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation uses magnetic fields to induce currents in brain tissue, thus stimulating brain cells.

But magnetic fields cannot be finely focused on small groups of brain cells, whereas ultrasound pulses could be.

AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
4/8/2005  12:25 PM
wow!! this is incredible. I love technology and this if succesful will certainly be a marker. You should submit this one to slashdot.org and see what the /.ters think.

I love it and all that but I am a little hesitant to let someone "transmitting data directly into the brain". Subliminal messages, brainwash (mind control), bot control and the list can go on. An excellent piece though Kwaz, thanks for posting it here. What do you think? Gotta get Marv, martin and Nalod's attention to this thread.

With the advent of technology similar to this one, how far away are we from terrorists brainwashing people? I guess I am being a little retarded here because this new techonology is basically like watching a movie just that it goes directly to your brain.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
4/8/2005  4:43 PM
You probably wont believe this but I have been theorizing on how to do the same thing that Sony just patented for a few years now.

My non-invasive way was to transmit a beam directly into the eyes but somehow code the beam with the info that would be then translated in the brain.The same way light does but the information that would give you the sensory experiences would be piggy-backed on with it.

The key Im guessing is to find the right "frequency" that would allow the beam to turn this info into images or or other sensory experiences.

My way probably wont work,I wish I had the money and the expertise to find out.
Sony patents 'real life Matrix'

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy