Author Thread
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
4/8/2005  3:59 AM
James sees Cavs going in `wrong direction'
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11338345.htm
"We lost our coach, we get new players, we get new ownership and now Pax might be getting fired," James said. "It's been difficult. We just stopped playing our No. 1 point guard for no reason and as a team we didn't know why ... I've got to stay positive, but we are headed in the wrong direction right now."

In two years, Gilbert won't be able to dazzle a superstar, who has more than $120 million in endorsement deals, with a max contract offer.

WE CAN GET LEBRON!!! WE WILL GET LEBRON!!!

Two years...hmmm...isn't that after we let penny, tt, jyd and mo expire?
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
4/8/2005  5:00 AM
And another thing...is it me, or if based on
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/salary/teamsalary.asp

Houston's contract expires the same time as JYD and Mo T?

If that is the case, if we let TT and Penny expire (i'd like to resign TT for 6 - 8 mill)

when the lebron sweepstakes begins, we will have THREE expiring contracts worth $36 mill to offer Cleveland in a sign and trade (not to mention draft picks to rebuild their franchise)

Don't get me wrong...by the time those three contracts come up for expiration, we won't need lebron (we will have filled our shot blocking and SG needs and Ariza, sweets and crawford will have matured)

That's all I'm saying.
all kool aid all the time.
Knick2001
Member: #83
4/8/2005  7:17 AM
One problem with your theory, the Knicks would still have no center, and that is their BIGGEST need.
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/8/2005  7:25 AM
lebron will go to miami to be on the best team ever

shaq
wade
lebron
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/8/2005  8:03 AM
yes, because the GM of the Cavs WANTS to help his biggest star go to the biggest market. Maybe he will give us some draft picks also
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tomverve
Member: #878
4/8/2005  8:43 AM
Posted by fishmike:

yes, because the GM of the Cavs WANTS to help his biggest star go to the biggest market. Maybe he will give us some draft picks also

A sign and trade wouldn't be out of the question if LeBron made it absolutely clear that he would sign with us straight up. Cleveland would do a S&T to save whatever face they could in that scenario. It's certainly happened before.

Still, don't see it happening.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
fishmike
USA
4/8/2005  8:55 AM
no way. This isnt KMArt here. No star of his magnitude has ever been in a S&T. If he gets traded it will be in his option (4th) year. He's eligible for his max extension after his 3rd year. If he doesnt take it thats all Cle needs to know and they can look to move him them for some sick price. The CBA totally puts the Cavs in the driver's seat. When Lebron is a restricted FA after year 4 the Cavs can match, and everyone knows this. If Lebron really wants to leave he will probably have to wait until after year 5, and Cle will still have Bird rights. Cle is also his hometown
MS
Member: #724
4/8/2005  9:23 AM
Why are the cavs going to trade the best player in the nba for expiring deals?
tomverve
Member: #878
4/8/2005  9:25 AM
Posted by fishmike:

If he gets traded it will be in his option (4th) year. He's eligible for his max extension after his 3rd year. If he doesnt take it thats all Cle needs to know and they can look to move him them for some sick price.

I think that scenario is much more more unlikely than Cleveland moving him in a S&T as a last resort. They won't trade him if they don't have to, under any circumstances. Well, maybe under one circumstance: if he goes to the GM during his expiring year and says "nope, I'm not going to re-sign here under any conditions. My mind is 100% made up." Even then, Cleveland could always try to change his mind by upgrading the roster or whatever. The only way I see him being traded is in a S&T, which would be a situation where LeBron, not the Cavs, would be in the driver's seat. Cleveland would never quite recover from letting him walk and getting nothing in return; they'd be forced to trade him to get something back. And that's likely the only way it could happen, if Cleveland was absolutely forced to do it.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
fishmike
USA
4/8/2005  9:34 AM
no doubt there... the only thing is the CBA keeps the team in the drivers seat for the first 5 years.

Because of his endorsment status he's the one star that might actually take less NBA money, as it will result in more endorsment $$$.

Not holding my breath... I believe in what I see. Never seen that
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/8/2005  10:03 AM
let me get this straight, James sees Cavs going in `wrong direction' so he's going to come to NY? anyone see anything wrong w/that logic?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/8/2005  10:20 AM
Posted by MS:

Why are the cavs going to trade the best player in the nba for expiring deals?

If he is set on not resigning with them, they would be fools not too. It will make the Boozer screw up look like nothing. Lebron just walking away for nothing. The Bulls were even prepared to do that with Crawford. You can be sure that if Lebron doesn't reup his contract next summer, he will be on the trading block. No way does he go into year 4 without the Cavs getting some security.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/8/2005  10:26 AM
btw, talk about a team regressing right before your eyes. Paxson deserves to get fired for so many reasons but it was the new owner's call to get rid of Silas. I can't stand these new owners. One idiot owner lets their rising star PF just get out of his contract and his replacement thinks he is the next coming of Jerry Jones. You can tell that Lebron wasn't consulted about Silas firing. Real smart. If I was Isiah I would serious think about including Silas in the short list, especially after that article.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/8/2005  10:43 AM
ever notice how the elite GM's plan for cap space for the year a player they want becomes a free agent?

we've seen it with west starting his shaq plan 2-3 years b4 he was a free agent.

and we've seen it as recent as nash.

we should've used h20 as the barometer year for getting under the cap. we should've had a payroll of no more than $20 mil on the books for that season so we can make a run at lebron ON OUR TERMS. the one TRUE advantange NY has over ANY OTHER TEAM is $$$'s, endorsement $$$'s, and media attention and WE CAN'T USE IT b/c we REFUSE to get under the cap. kobe would be a knick right now if we had space.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/8/2005  12:33 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

ever notice how the elite GM's plan for cap space for the year a player they want becomes a free agent?
yeah and it backfires like 90% of the time.
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
4/8/2005  12:42 PM
every year there will be some Knicks fans that will actually believe that the Knicks will get a big-time player via free agency or worst, the sign and trade

and even though that player never arrives they will start it up the very next year

wake up
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
fishmike
USA
4/8/2005  12:44 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

every year there will be some Knicks fans that will actually believe that the Knicks will get a big-time player via free agency or worst, the sign and trade

and even though that player never arrives they will start it up the very next year

wake up
whatever man. We have HUGE assests this offseason in expiring contracts. I'm sure we can land a star player.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
4/8/2005  12:54 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

Yeah and not having a plan backfires like 100% of the time.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/8/2005  1:17 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

Yeah and not having a plan backfires like 100% of the time.
I'd agree with that. It's pretty hard not to
fishmike
USA
4/8/2005  1:19 PM
thats the thing. So far Isiah has told us:
We wont rebuild through the draft.
We will have an exciting athletic team "that NY can be proud of"
We will compete for the division
We will get back to the playoffs
We can use speed to beat some of the "plodding" teams with more size

Now he's traded one of his key aquisitions for draft picks
Are are en route to a 50 loss season
We have extended or added slow and unathletic players
We are 11 games out of first
We are a slow plodding team that walks the ball up court

But I'm a hater because I dont have faith in this.

Why not just tell fans to have patience because its going to take some time.

[Edited by - fishmike on 04/08/2005 13:20:22]
Let the Lebron watch begin

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy