[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Mythology of a being a loser
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/7/2005  6:21 PM
All of this talk about winning and losing has almost reached supernatural proportions. Player X is a loser and therefore a team with him on it can never win, it has been written in the holy sports column that this is so. Ahhhhhhhhhh-meeeeeeeeeen.

For example, Shareef Abdur-Rahim (SAR) would be great on this team, precisely because we dont have players that can do what he does. Shareef is a good player, maybe not as good as his stats might indicate, but good nevertheless. He has played on mostly bad teams, but wherever he has gone he has performed well. If we didn't have 5 PF's already, I would hope we took a look at close look at him. Not because I think he is a 'winner' but because I think he brings something to the table that we need; points in the post and rebounding.

When you see guys that are able to put up numbers it is really just showing you what they can do. Scoring a lot of points in the NBA is not an easy thing to do, so if someone can put up 20 and 10 consistantly over a career, you should take notice. Very few players in the league can make a team win with minimal help from other players. Shareef is not one of those kinds of players. But for all of KG's greatness, neither is he. That is not a crime. That does not make him a "loser".

It takes the right combination of teamates and coaching to win NBA games consistantly. Minesota has 2 disgruntled vets (Spree & Cassell) and therefore they cannot win consistantly. Portland of the last few years has had lost of talent, but a very unbalanced team and they have not been able to win either.

But what I can't stand, is this "X" player is a loser, wherever he goes they lose nonsense. That fake 'logic' is the tool of the ignorant. If Shareef was on Houston that would be a great situation for the rockets. But according to this 'loser' dogma, he'd just bring the team down because he's a 'loser' and we all know that 'losers' lose.

SAR is just my example but the same could be said about Marbury, KG, and many other players in the league. Its about putting all of the right things in place. My knicks don't have all of those right things in place yet. But one thing they do have in place is Stephon Marbury. He is a right thing, in his right place. If we can get some other key pieces in a knick uniform, maybe this religous 'loser' branding will dissappear, not only from Steph, but from the collective vocabulary.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/7/2005  6:25 PM
awesome post! that's why I said I'd love Zach at the right price especially after we surround him with the right players from this draft
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/7/2005  6:30 PM
Excellent post Killa. There are so many players in this league that looked at as losers just becuase it hasnt worked out for them in their situations. Marbury, Shareef, Garnett, and now Zach Randolph is being looked at in this respect. Somehow Sam Cassell is a winner becuase he has won 2 championships with the Rockets even though he was and is a detriment to his current team? Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/7/2005  6:53 PM
Excellent post, Excellent... It is funny how SAR was labeled a loser here in Atlanta, well he is gone and Atlanta is even worse? now is it because he is gone or because Atlanta trashed the team to rebuild? I would say it is a combo of both, but him leaving is not the sole reason Atlanta is bad, and when he was here, having him here was not the reason they lost, another example, is jason terry, he was here doing those losing years, now he is in Dallas, I don't see him bringing the mavs down? again some people are just ignorant in their logic. Especially in this subject..

Great post... Killa
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
4/7/2005  6:53 PM
great post, I agree with a lot of your points. sometimes you just have to give players a chance and put them in a situation where it is actually somewhat possible for them to succeed. this loser branding has definitely gone way too far
http://allknicks.com
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/7/2005  7:03 PM
This is definitely a great post worth bookmarking
gunsnewing
USA
4/7/2005  7:16 PM
I always enjoy reading Killa's posts
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
4/7/2005  8:34 PM
I think its pretty simple, in Marbury's own words, you are a looser untill you win.

It's not exactly rocekt sciene or a matter of belief. Some guys never win, then all of a sudden they do. They are no longer loosers.

Being a looser is an outcome of loosing, not the other way around.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
gunsnewing
USA
4/7/2005  8:50 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what comes out of Marbury's mouth.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/7/2005  11:51 PM
great post, killa.
¿ △ ?
Killa4luv
USA
4/8/2005  12:30 AM
Thanx alot guys.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/8/2005  12:42 AM
Read this on espn rankings, I believe it's all fact, not theory.

More bad news for Steph. Suns' success makes it three straight teams to win at least 50 games in their first full season after Steph leaves (along with Wolves and Nets).
ES
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/8/2005  9:07 AM
ouch. Winner and loser are unfair labels in the NBA. Totally agree. Slacker and loafer are however, and we have Mo T and TT. Thats two too many. So much of BB is chemistry and style of play. This is why I was so excited to get Isiah. Layden didnt get it. I though Zeke would having been such a great player on title teams. Bottom line is if you put good players with complimentary skills together and give it a little time theres a good chance they will be ok. We have some good players, but their skills just dont match and we dont play any style that puts our players in a good position.

How great was Crawford in the open court last night? Running and gunning and getting to the hoop in transition. How many other times did we see Marbury slowly walk the ball up instead of push it. When he pushes it Crawford thrives. When he doesnt Crawford shoots long 3s with the SC expiring. When he pushes it he leaves the fat guys behind. When he walks it up he can feed the post or run the P&R with KT. This is what I mean.. no fluidity because we have all thiese mismatch parts.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
4/8/2005  9:22 AM
Guns you don't have a glue, if you are an advocate of bringing in Randolf, he is not a good player, hes a team cancer, and they would love to get rid of him, he is selfish disruptive, and should be in jail......

They already gave up O'neil and wallace each of whom play defense and have made their teams contenders because of that, while zach refuses and thats a big reason the blazers are terrible
OldFan
Member: #446
4/8/2005  9:31 AM
I agree that circumstances have a lot to do with who gets labelled a winner and who gets labelled a loser. But I think killer over-states the case in the other direction. There are players who just seem to have intangibles that help team wins and there are players that put up good stats that don't lead teams to victories.

edsonline
Member: #735
4/8/2005  2:31 PM
Killa4luv - Preach Brother!! And let's use our assets to get the right pieces to put around Marbury.
gunsnewing
USA
4/8/2005  3:27 PM
look there's no question Zach Randolph would be a disaster on this team with Kurt at center. They need a player who can play defense and block shots in the frontcourt. If they get that player then we'd have the interior defense and offense you need to contend. Same way you can get by with Marbury's lack of defense on the perimeter as long as you have a good perimeter defender at SG or SF like a Sprewell. Thats how we got by with H20. Ward and Spree were very good defenders.

I think its ignorant to say that someone doesn't have a clue without really dissecting the issue. I even said I would have no problem trading for Zach AS LONG AS WE SURROUND HIM WITH THE RIGHT PIECES THROUGH THE DRAFT AND THE MLE.

trust me I'd love to have Tim Duncan who dominates both ends of the floor but there aren't many duncans in the league. And there's aren't even that maybe 20 & 10 guys in the league! Maybe 5-10 guys who average 20&10. Put a center or SF in the frontcourt who can play defense & block next to those offensive numbers and you're pretty much set
gunsnewing
USA
4/8/2005  3:30 PM
McGrady is another loser too right???? I'm sure before he was traded to Houston everyone who is calling Marbury a loser would be calling him one too. But surround him with the right players, another star who can play defense and you win games. Houston is 14games over .500 playing in the West!
Killa4luv
USA
4/8/2005  4:27 PM
If Kobe had never played with Shaq he'd be a loser too. Look at this season. If he had this season in the beginning of his career he'd be branded a loser.

Guns, Zach would not be a disaster on this team with Zach at the center. We have sweets at PF right now. We are losing a ton of close games. With Zach at the 4 we'd be an unbalanced team, but a much better one. I don't know how you come to that conclusion. If we had Zach, we'd be on our way to building a good team. We would need a center who defends and intimidates, but in the meantime we could definitely win games with Zach if we could win games with Sweets, JYD, Mo Taylor, and Malik Rose at the 4. Zach is a beast in the paint.
gunsnewing
USA
4/8/2005  4:32 PM
Zach alongside kurt or sweetney would be a major disaster! just not as big a disaster as this current frontcourt disaster of sweetney/kurt. If we ever traded for Zach we have to hope that we steal a defensive shotblocking Center later in the draft or trade for one or sign one for the MLE

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 04/08/2005 16:35:06]
The Mythology of a being a loser

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy