Insider 4/1
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
4/1/2002  1:19 PM
NBA Draft Stock Report: Wilcox eclipses Gooden

Drew Gooden was the experienced one. A first-team All-American who spent as much time answering questions about the NBA as he did college basketball the last month of the season.

Chris Wilcox was the third wheel. The inconsistent, super athlete who still had plenty to learn while in the shadow of seniors Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter.

After Saturday's Kansas-Maryland matchup, several league sources were re-emphasizing that Wilcox may be the most dynamic, athletic big-man prospect in college basketball. Gooden, on the other hand, sounded like he might consider returning for his senior season after being beaten badly by Wilcox.

The head-to-head matchup exposed Gooden's weaknesses and highlighted why scouts believe Wilcox could be a big-time prospect, if he decides to declare for the NBA draft.

"He has the strength, athleticism and explosiveness to play at a high level in the NBA," said one scout, who added that he thought Wilcox's game was better suited for the pros. "He really needed a game like this. We've been waiting for him to dominate when it really mattered. To show that he can play at a high level for an entire game. He did it versus an All-American during the biggest game of the season. His stock will take a big jump."

Wilcox faces another big test tonight when he goes head-to-head with Indiana's Jared Jeffries. Like Gooden, Jeffries is currently rated ahead of Wilcox as a draft prospect. Like Gooden, the frail Jeffries could find himself getting pushed around by the stronger, more athletic Wilcox.

When pushed about Wilcox's stock, scouts said that a strong title game and stellar workouts could launch him into the top six in the draft. If he struggles, he could slip down into the late lottery. At this point, it's unlikely he'd slip any further.

But will Wilcox even declare? He told the Raleigh News Observer this weekend that he wants to remain in school. "I'm coming back next season," Wilcox said. 'That's firm. That's set."

For Gooden, the story was a little different. One scout said that while Gooden will still be a lottery pick, he was exposed by Wilcox. "He really dominated Gooden, kept him from going where he wanted to go, and intimidated him early with those blocked shots. If Gooden tries to play down low in the NBA, he'll see a lot more of that. He's got to get stronger and more aggressive in the post."

The Kansas City Star's Joe Posnanski writes that if Gooden returns, he could be king of college basketball for a year. If goes to the NBA, he'll be a veterans' doormat. Maybe that's why Gooden appears to be waffling on his decision to turn pro now.

Scouts and a league executive weighed in on several other prospects worth noting:

Dajuan Wagner, G, Memphis -- A strong run in the NIT was exactly what Wagner needed, several scouts said. Still, scouts were conflicted about whether Wagner should remain in school. If John Calipari let Wagner play the point next season and works with him on his point guard skills, it might be worth returning for another season or two. If he's going to remain a two guard for Memphis, scouts said there is little left to do. "He's a natural scorer. He isn't going to pick up much by playing shooting guard for another year. He needs to learn how to play the point if he really wants to be a No. 1 pick in the draft." But with LeBron James coming next year, No. 1 is a pipe dream.

Juan Dixon, G, Maryland -- How can a guy who absolutely dominates at the college level be considered a marginal pro prospect? It's all about size. Dixon's slight frame, height (scouts think he's only 6-foot-2), and inability to play the point hurt his stock. His lack of strength and athleticism also hurt. But don't count him out completely. "Nothing was expected of him when he went to college and look what happened," one league exec told Insider. "He has such an inner drive, such a will to win, my guess is that he'll hook up with someone. It never hurts to have guys like that on a team. He reminds me a little bit of the "Cat" [Cuttino Mobley]. He plays great defense and has a nose for the basket. I don't think you can ever count out on Juan Dixon. Someone will take a chance on him."

Lee Benson, F, Brown Mackie Community College (Salina, Kans.) -- Benson, the recent subject of HBO's Real Sports, has been generating a lot of publicity lately. A 28-year-old ex-convict, the 6-foot-11 prospect averaged 35 ppg and 13.6 rpg this season, generating a lot of buzz. Benson, who has great range for a big man, is leaning toward declaring for the draft mostly because of his age. Scouts say he'll need stellar workouts to catapult into the first round. "He can shoot with NBA three-point range and he has the body to bang down low, but he's got a lot of rust on the rest of his game. He hadn't played in competitive ball in 10 years. He's very raw and the questions about his past may scare teams off from drafting him in the first round. But he'd be a great second-round pick. If he pans out, he could have a huge impact. If he doesn't, no big loss."

Hilario Maybiner, F, Vasca de Gama (Brazil) -- It's tough to get a handle on what international prospects are thinking, but the latest rumor is that Maybiner, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound power forward, will declare for the draft. Maybiner, who starred for Brazil in the 2001 Goodwill Games, has some unresolved contract issues with Vasca de Gama, but he definitely has teams interested. He is extremely athletic and strong, can run the floor, is a superb shot blocker and rebounder. Scouts say he's very raw, but he has the tools to be a dominate post player in the pros. If he had a jump shot (he doesn't) he'd go a lot higher.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/1/2002  3:33 PM
I really want Chris Wilcox. He would fit what were are looking for so well. He's big, athletic, powerful, and full of intensity. He's Ben Wallace with an offensive game and we couldn't ask for much better. He needs to improve his shot, but he's a great pick no matter what. I think he should be available with that 6th or 7th pick so i think we can get him.

Hilario Maybiner would be a good pick as well. From what i here he has the intangibles to be a great power forward in the league. I still like Wilcox more though because i've seen him play and he's as impressive as anyone in college basketball.
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
4/1/2002  5:26 PM
HOW TALL IS WILLCOX??????????????????????????
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/1/2002  5:36 PM
Posted by Starks3:

HOW TALL IS WILLCOX??????????????????????????
He's a legit 6-10, 240lbs. Not too shabby at all.
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
4/1/2002  11:42 PM
He's a legit 6-10, 240lbs. Not too shabby at all.
damm he is pretty big
maybe more weight for the nba,but he is sick
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Insider 4/1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy