Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
4/1/2005  11:23 PM
Jackson could elevate Marbury -- and Knicks
Apr. 1, 2005
By Tony Mejia
SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Being the pillar of quality journalism we are, we're obligated to shout out the job the New York Post did in cornering Jeannie Buss at the recent Knicks-Lakers game and coercing her to chirp all about boyfriend Phil Jackson's intentions.

Stephon Marbury -- shown while running cousin Sebastian Telfair off a pick -- is still 'Coney Island's Finest.' (AP)
Seriously, anytime you can ask a probing question and receive a giggle and a response, it has to make you feel like Howard Stern. Strong stuff.

So the Buss has made it clear that Jackson is still enamored with the city he used to play in and would continue a relationship with her despite the separate allegiances and contrasting coasts. Great. Well, that tells us Jackson is still culturally sound and not whipped; good to know.

We've learned to take everything the Post informs us of with a grain of salt, but you have to salute the intention of the interview. Is Jackson willing to deviate from his proven formula of taking great players, forming superior teams and making them champions?

Whoa, wait a second, let's backtrack.

By using the nasty word "deviate," we presume that Stephon Marbury is not a great player, which would be untrue. No, we won't be narrow-minded and classify Marbury as anything less than superior simply because he hasn't won anything. See, therein lies our challenge.

Marbury will never be the greatest point guard of his generation. For that, we have Jason Kidd, the most sensational floor general since Magic Johnson. But "Coney Island's Finest, Part I" (can't sell out Sebastian) is among the finest true point guards of all time. That's right, you read correctly. We didn't stutter.

Marbury is capable of beating teams by himself, a feat Kidd can't manage and only superstars can lay claim to. Like Allen Iverson, Marbury is capable of dropping 40 with 12 assists but has not done it consistently. In steps Jackson, and New York has the greatest mentor of all coaxing Marbury to realize his full potential. Sounds like the perfect combination -- Isiah Thomas, Jackson and Marbury working out of the Garden. Imagine the possibilities.

New York is a city that craves a point guard to idolize, a creative creator to put at the pedestal as the city's next legend -- next to Patrick Ewing. It's a city that didn't fully appreciate Rick Pitino, took Lenny Wilkens as washed up and is jonesing for a Pat Riley heir to restore the team to its previous glory.

With apologies to Jerry Sloan, the only two head men who can turn around the New York Knicks are Larry Brown and Jackson. That's the challenge. Jackson can turn the most heralded point guard in city history into the legend who elevates the Knicks to the next level. The next Walt Frazier currently inhabits the Garden, and he has a little bit of help in Jamal Crawford, Mike Sweetney, Trevor Ariza and Kurt Thomas.

Obviously, there's plenty of work to be done in terms of adding components, but if Jackson can't do it, it's hard to believe anyone can. That's why he could return to the Big Apple. He might not be expected to succeed, but if he does, it will be just another feather in his cap. That sounds more appetizing than another year with Kobe Bryant, or a tough reclamation project with a Minnesota team that has no quality young guards.

Jackson in New York -- might happen, Jeannie says. If so, Marbury and the Knicks will get a chance to show exactly where their place is.

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/2/2005  2:50 AM
I like that kind of thinking. I bash Marbs not for ability, but the he cannot direct it properly.

Before he buries himself, it would be fun to see what a strong minded coach could do with him! Marbs, with go reason mind you, does not trust his team. And he never has been on one strong enough to do so. His phx team was not mature. Marbs is a strong character, just not always in the right direction!

I don't think Larry brown gets enough credit for the job he did with Iverson. Larry made Billips into a MVP on a championship team! Imagine what he could do with Marbs!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/2/2005  7:30 AM
Good article.
Larry Brown would probably be my first choice as coach, but I don't think it's worth giving up our lotto pick right now.
Bring in Phil next season and I'll still be as excited as hell. If we have to overpay someone, why not the coach?
Sportsline.com article - Phil Jackson could elevate Marbury --- and Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy