[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

TAFT VS CHARLIE V?????
Author Thread
SkyWalker
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #814
3/31/2005  1:03 PM
ok, lets say we are drafting somewhere from 8-12 and both Taft and Charlie V are available. Who would you rather pick?

Rebounding: They both have the ability to be very good rebounders on the next level. I was very impressed towards the end of the season watching CV get up real high to rip a lot of rebounds. Same goes for Taft.
OFFENSE: I have to say that Charlie V is ahead in overall offensive game. He can shoot the rock, handle like a 2 guard, run the floor exceptionally well and has a low post game that should continue to improve. He can play the high or low post very well. Taft has yet to develop on the offensive end yet. He doesn't have many moves on the low block but definitely room to improve.
DEFENSE: Taft is the better on ball defender by far but he doesnt seem to be much of a shotblocker while CV is not so great on the ball but is a great shotblocker on the helpside.

OVERALL: Sometimes I prefer Taft but the more and more I think about it, if Charlie V keeps getting stronger his ceiling is higher than Taft. Both players have been questioned regarding their attitudes and desire. CV has all the tools to be a much better defender. I like his versatility and he would fit well with Marbury. I am just not sold on Taft. He could be very good but how good? He'll be a solid defender, decent in the low post, not such a great shot and questionable desire. If he already established himself as a big time shotblocker I would feel better about selecting him. I think CV just has too much to pass up on.
Kenny SkyWalker
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/31/2005  1:11 PM
I'd go Taft. Taft is stronger, better defensively and more consistent on the boards. He's more suited to play inside and has a future at center.

Charlie V has an awful lot of Rasheed in him. He has tendency to fall in love with the perimeter (because he has so much talent there) rather than post up, even though he can be so good there. He also occasionally lacks agression, but when he has the switch on can board and provide a real presence defensively. Such a strange temperment though.

There's a little something missing with Taft too, but I think a lot of it comes from the fact that his team didn't pass to him a lot. He wasn't the no.1 man in Pitt's O and didn't play the major minutes some of the other college stars do (I think he averaged less than 30). I like Taft's talent as a post up player, rebounder and defensively. When he's taken in the lottery he will be given more of a "star" treatment by his team, and I think he has a good chance to come through on the next level. But of course there are still a lot of assumptions to be made with him.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  1:12 PM
I prefer Villanueva over Taft for all the reasons you mentioned. And this is a very likely scenario for the Knicks. Between Taft and Villanueva. Taft scares me more than Villanueva. People see Derrick Coleman in Villanueva but I see something far worst in Taft, apathy.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
MS
Member: #724
3/31/2005  1:15 PM
Villenueva is terrible, no heart, no work ethic, no versatlity with the ball, he is tall and athletic thats how he gets by he is going to be pushed around like a wafer, we may be able to get him late........

Taft, so so he is in the same boat, work ethic? desire?,
SkyWalker
Member: #814
3/31/2005  1:20 PM
I feel that if we are drafting a big player in the lottery, he needs something that sticks out at you. Taft just doesn't do it for me. Nothing really excites me about him. Kurt Thomas is a sloid on the ball defensive player. Taft can also be very good low post defender. However, he doesn't block shots. The knicks desperately need someone that can do that. And if he can't do that then he has to bring something intangible to the table. CV has shown more of an ability to block shots. I think CV can become even a better version of Rasheed Wallace depending on how far he comes along defensively. CV can stretch defenses out as well as run the lane with the best of them. He can be a great finisher. He can handle the ball and take his man off the dribble. He is also a good passer. He still has plenty to work on but for a 6'11" player to have all those skills already is remarkable.
Kenny SkyWalker
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  1:47 PM
Posted by MS:

Villenueva is terrible, no heart, no work ethic, no versatlity with the ball, he is tall and athletic thats how he gets by he is going to be pushed around like a wafer, we may be able to get him late........

Taft, so so he is in the same boat, work ethic? desire?,

Yeah to every single one of your questions. MS, Taft was benched by his coach in what should have been a breakout year. His coach went public why he was benched and didn't even blink. Taft was considered a lock for the top 3 but he is falling like a rock. Villanueva has continued to improved every year.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/31/2005  1:51 PM
TAFT.
¿ △ ?
TAFT VS CHARLIE V?????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy