[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NYPost: Article on the draft (Zeke likes Andriuskevicius?)
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/31/2005  12:43 PM
Hard to make any kind of judgements on a player who is only given infrequent minutes. He will be judged by his pre-draft and individual workouts as well as any all-star game appearances.

How many 18 year old players got a lot of minutes in the Euroleagues?
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  12:48 PM
Posted by TMS:

first of all i have no idea if Baby Shaq was equivalent to this guy or not...i've never seen either of them play...all i know is i heard ALOT of people talking about Baby Shaq back then saying he would be big in the NBA, but i haven't heard a peep about him since draft day...i really don't know what happened to him...do you?

& even if Zeke is interested in this guy, i still say it's too big a risk to take for a top 10 pick, unless like i said before he's a true can't miss type prospect...is he? you tell me because i really don't know much about this guy other than what i read about him on NBADraft.net.

I think you're overrating the amount of play Baby Shaq got as a serious prospect. What he had was a good nickname and a good physique, but he was ultimately a 2nd rounder for the Clippers that hasn't come over from Europe yet I believe. Obviously I only know what I read about this guy. But from what I know about this guy and all the college players etc., the only can't misses are Bogut, Marvin Williams and Chris Paul IMO as far as guys who are talking about coming out. I hope I haven't given the impression anywhere that I thought this guy was can't miss, as that was not my intention. I think this guy is a legit prospect...its definitely risk/reward though. We'll see how much of a gambling man Zeke is.

[Edited by - VDesai on 03/31/2005 12:49:55]
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
3/31/2005  12:50 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Martynas would have to be better or on par with Yao to justify picking him over green/taft imo. do u honestly think MA will be worth it? even if green was to average only 9pts that would still be 3 more points then our beloved ariza and he would contribute until he really becomes a star in 1-3yrs

Why do you have such a hard-on for Taft? Taft is going to be a poor man's Wilcox at best. I see MA being comparable to Zydrunas Ilgauskas. How many teams in this league would KILL to add Ilgauskas?

All that being said, I'd be fine with getting Fran Vazquez at the 7 or 8 or trading down and getting Petro.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/31/2005  12:54 PM
Lampe went in the 2nd round too because teams were scared away by his contract situation even though he was projected to go in the top 10...was that a similar situation to what happened to Baby Shaq?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  12:57 PM
Posted by TMS:

Lampe went in the 2nd round too because teams were scared away by his contract situation even though he was projected to go in the top 10...was that a similar situation to what happened to Baby Shaq?

No...from what I remember, Baby Shaq was short for a PF/C (maybe only 6'8" and around 280-300 pounds), was and relied on his brute strength to play. More a body-builder than a bball player at that point, and just wasn't that good of a prospect.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
3/31/2005  12:58 PM
Posted by TMS:

Baby Shaq dropped because he advertised as a 6'10 - 6'11" big man Eddy Curry-like body center. Then he was measured and it was closer to 6'8" - 6'9" and he didn't impress as he was expected to. That was the basic reason for his slide.
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
3/31/2005  1:02 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Hard to make any kind of judgements on a player who is only given infrequent minutes. He will be judged by his pre-draft and individual workouts as well as any all-star game appearances.

Sadly almost none of them, as that's why every European player drafted at that age plays terrible in the NBA.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  1:04 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:
Posted by VDesai:

Sadly almost none of them, as that's why every European player drafted at that age plays terrible in the NBA.

Thanks...that's what makes them hard to judge, and that's sort of why I buy the argument that the teams are "hiding" them, even on the equivlent of the minor league level.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/31/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by BRIGGS:

its a no-brainer that you start with a 7-3 player and work down. If he dominated all of these so-called young euro lottery picks, it's just a matter of time he raises it to the next level of competition.

Not you in particular Briggs, but wasn't everyone preaching the same philosophy about Vranes when we could've had (and these are picks after Vranes...

Willie Green
Zaza Pachulia
Keith Bogans
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver
Brandon Hunter

I'm talking about the process of bringing him in and working him out, doing a full due dilligence on him. Unlike many of these other Euro bigs, Martynas actually dominated peers of his own age. the level of play there is higher than the MCDs game. So we can basically say that he is an elite level prospect for someone of his age whether its in Lithuania, the US, Japan etc.. because he proved to be dominate over a run of 10 games. I can't specualte on what an 18 year old does against men who are 23 + up, I can only specualte on his performance against people his age. Almost every player who came into the nBA early had an adjustment period. He has to be worked out extensively before he is canceled out as an option. for someone to say bluntly that because he is from Europe he has no chance is rediculous. Let him come here and prove what he is or isnt. Of course you are going to start with a guy like that if you dont win the lottery because he is 7-3 and has some proven bonafides.
RIP Crushalot😞
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/31/2005  1:51 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by DarkKnicks:
Posted by VDesai:

Thanks...that's what makes them hard to judge, and that's sort of why I buy the argument that the teams are "hiding" them, even on the equivlent of the minor league level.
But they are not "hiding" them. It's not logic at that level. Would you hide your players in the play-offs? If the coach is not letting him play more time, is because he isn't that good RIGHT NOW. Everyone tries to win here also.
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
3/31/2005  1:53 PM
Well i'm still trying to rap my head around the concept of going with a swing man over a Center (which is our primary need). Nevertheless, I gotta tell you that Green pulled some insane stuff last night that he would also have been able to do against NBA caliber defense. If Isiah went with Petro i'd be totally cool with it. If he went with Green, after what I saw... well let's just say I wouldn't be complaining. Absurd is the word that comes to mind when I think back on his performance last night.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  1:56 PM
Yeah, but you don't think they are trying to keep these guys away from NBA scouts so that they can at least have these guys for 2-3 good seasons? I agree its also because they are not that good right now...how old are these players they are playing against? Perhaps they are not ready to physically match up? It's a little paradoxical, because why would NBA scouts think so highly of them to be a top 10 pick if they flat out weren't even good enough to play in a lower level league, even at a younger age. Some "hiding" must be going on I'd assume, but I will take your word for it.
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/31/2005  1:59 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by BRIGGS:

its a no-brainer that you start with a 7-3 player and work down. If he dominated all of these so-called young euro lottery picks, it's just a matter of time he raises it to the next level of competition.

Not you in particular Briggs, but wasn't everyone preaching the same philosophy about Vranes when we could've had (and these are picks after Vranes...

Willie Green
Zaza Pachulia
Keith Bogans
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver
Brandon Hunter

I'm talking about the process of bringing him in and working him out, doing a full due dilligence on him. Unlike many of these other Euro bigs, Martynas actually dominated peers of his own age. the level of play there is higher than the MCDs game. So we can basically say that he is an elite level prospect for someone of his age whether its in Lithuania, the US, Japan etc.. because he proved to be dominate over a run of 10 games. I can't specualte on what an 18 year old does against men who are 23 + up, I can only specualte on his performance against people his age. Almost every player who came into the nBA early had an adjustment period. He has to be worked out extensively before he is canceled out as an option. for someone to say bluntly that because he is from Europe he has no chance is rediculous. Let him come here and prove what he is or isnt. Of course you are going to start with a guy like that if you dont win the lottery because he is 7-3 and has some proven bonafides.
Yes, BRIGGS, you're right, every player has an adjustment period. If you have been a good player in your league (NCAA, ACB or whatever), you will have enough confidence to think you can do it here, but if you have been going from the bench to the locker room it's going to be even worse in the NBA. If this guy would have done a Gasol-like performance in some important games, I wouldn't mind drafting him. But of course this is not an exact science, so I'm with you, let's prove him, make him work and see how good he is.
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/31/2005  2:11 PM
Posted by VDesai:

It's a little paradoxical, because why would NBA scouts think so highly of them to be a top 10 pick if they flat out weren't even good enough to play in a lower level league, even at a younger age.
I believe its because:
1) There are very few centers in the NBA right now.
2) He's 7,3 and 18 years old and has shown good things in his past years.
Just 4 years ago very few players went to the NBA, and the ones that came here were awesome players in Europe (Sabonis, Kukoc, Divac, Petrovic). Nowadays with the lack of centers, the amount of players that go from the HS to the NBA and the recent USA team disasters, the scouts are searching prospects anywhere. From your point of view (with the NBA being much better than any other league, which is true) it can be logical to think that some European coach want to keep their players...but I can't think they do it even if they lose games because of it. At least not in Spain... remember people like basketball a lot here too, that could not ve tolerated. It's more like it happens here with Mike Sweetney. I bet almost everybody here knows that he is better than Kurt Thomas, but the coach still prefers Kurt Thomas, and it's just because he doesn't trust Sweetney enough. That's my opinion.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  2:19 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:
Posted by VDesai:

It's a little paradoxical, because why would NBA scouts think so highly of them to be a top 10 pick if they flat out weren't even good enough to play in a lower level league, even at a younger age.
I believe its because:
1) There are very few centers in the NBA right now.
2) He's 7,3 and 18 years old and has shown good things in his past years.
Just 4 years ago very few players went to the NBA, and the ones that came here were awesome players in Europe (Sabonis, Kukoc, Divac, Petrovic). Nowadays with the lack of centers, the amount of players that go from the HS to the NBA and the recent USA team disasters, the scouts are searching prospects anywhere. From your point of view (with the NBA being much better than any other league, which is true) it can be logical to think that some European coach want to keep their players...but I can't think they do it even if they lose games because of it. At least not in Spain... remember people like basketball a lot here too, that could not ve tolerated. It's more like it happens here with Mike Sweetney. I bet almost everybody here knows that he is better than Kurt Thomas, but the coach still prefers Kurt Thomas, and it's just because he doesn't trust Sweetney enough. That's my opinion.
Hey is he better than Milicic or on the same level? Because I thought Milicic was suppose to be something special and I it may still happen but it seems that only Gasol gets NBA ball for big men. I don't include Dirk in this because he plays as a swing men but he learned how to use his big body inside the last couple of years. I mean how much time you think it will take to develop him into a starting NBA center? If more than 2 seasons, I say forget about him and just develop Jackie Butler and go after the best player available, that could contribute now.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/31/2005  2:26 PM
I haven't seen him play so I don't really know. I would wait AT LEAST one more year to see if he's actually good, but it seems he's going to declare for this draft, so we just can wait and see how good he does at the "workouts" (excuse me, hehe, I don't know how to say this) with some NBA teams. Milicic was in the same situation as this guy.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/31/2005  2:39 PM
To be developed, it takes playing time and desire to be the best that one can be. I don't know about this big dude, because he doesn't play much, but I do believe that our scouts have watched all of those prospects play and they know who is who when it comes to talents.
The true Knickabocker..........
NYPost: Article on the draft (Zeke likes Andriuskevicius?)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy