[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NYPost: Article on the draft (Zeke likes Andriuskevicius?)
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/31/2005  10:40 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/43550.htm

Many clubs have questions about Andriuskevicius because his European team plays him so infrequently to reduce his stock hoping he doesn't leave. But the big center with his inside-out skills has piqued Thomas' interest, as he saw him play a few minutes in Spain when the Knicks president visited him this winter.

Also mentions a few other prospects like Vazquez, Rudy Fernandez, Bogut, M.Williams, Graham etc., but nothing too new. Didn't know Zeke got to see Martynas A. on the scouting trip. If he did really like him though, I wonder if he'd package our 2 first rounders to move up...
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/31/2005  10:49 AM
How high is he expected to be drafted? I'm definitely worried about using the lottery pick on a Euro player.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  10:54 AM
Isn't he ranked 3rd on most mock drafts?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/31/2005  10:54 AM
its a no-brainer that you start with a 7-3 player and work down. If he dominated all of these so-called young euro lottery picks, it's just a matter of time he raises it to the next level of competition.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

How high is he expected to be drafted? I'm definitely worried about using the lottery pick on a Euro player.

Looks like a top 5 pick right now. Seen him as high as no.2 on some boards.

I like this guy, and for some reason I'm a little less concerned about him than the some of the other Euros. He has been impressive in workouts by all accounts and generally has outplayed players in his peer age from what I've read. 7-2 240, and very athletic and coordianted, which you can't teach. Also like the fact he's been working out with his countryman, Sabonis.
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
3/31/2005  11:04 AM
If we draft him, we should let him play in Europe at least one more year. I don't want him to become another Lampe.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  11:06 AM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

If we draft him, we should let him play in Europe at least one more year. I don't want him to become another Lampe.

Certainly a good option, unless we would plan to play him regular minutes here.

I would love for an NBA minor league to happen, but that's another discussion...
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/31/2005  11:18 AM
I really hope he is drafted before we pick or we'll wind up missing out on green/taft and stuck with a guy who is going to take years become a decent center if he even becomes one.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  11:22 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I really hope he is drafted before we pick or we'll wind up missing out on green/taft and stuck with a guy who is going to take years become a decent center if he even becomes one.

Gerald Green would take just as long if not longer. McGrady himself didn't become a starting quality player untill his 3rd season, and not a superstar untill his 4th season. Gotta be patient with Centers, especially since they come along so rarely. This guy seems to have the tools. Again we won't know for sure untill workouts. But if something caught Zeke's eye during the scouting trip, that's a good sign.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  11:37 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Are you scare that he won't be as good as the dominating and overpowering big man, Milicic?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
gunsnewing
USA
3/31/2005  11:52 AM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Gerald Green would take just as long if not longer. McGrady himself didn't become a starting quality player untill his 3rd season, and not a superstar untill his 4th season. Gotta be patient with Centers, especially since they come along so rarely. This guy seems to have the tools. Again we won't know for sure untill workouts. But if something caught Zeke's eye during the scouting trip, that's a good sign.

if im not mistaken McGrady only took 1 yr. by the 2nd year he was contributing bigtime. Look I don't expect Lebron like 1st year numbers for Green but bottomline is he has a lot more upside then a Euro bigman who at best can be a decent center or a pavel podskline like bust.

Name 1 Euro center who wasn't a clear cut #1 pick that you would justify picking over wade, amare, mcgrady, pierce?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/31/2005  12:03 PM
i say stick w/the more sure thing & go w/the best college player available...how many Dirk Nowitzki level Euro players have come out of the draft lately? not many...for every success story like him, there are countless more Euro bigmen who don't amount to anything & end up being 12th men type players on the end of teams' benches, or eventually end up back in the Euro leagues after they fail in the NBA.

unless this kid is a sure fire can't miss like a Yao Ming, i say stay away from him...a top 10 pick is too much to risk.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/31/2005  12:04 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

its a no-brainer that you start with a 7-3 player and work down. If he dominated all of these so-called young euro lottery picks, it's just a matter of time he raises it to the next level of competition.

Not you in particular Briggs, but wasn't everyone preaching the same philosophy about Vranes when we could've had (and these are picks after Vranes...

Willie Green
Zaza Pachulia
Keith Bogans
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver
Brandon Hunter
~You can't run from who you are.~
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  12:05 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by gunsnewing:

if im not mistaken McGrady only took 1 yr. by the 2nd year he was contributing bigtime. Look I don't expect Lebron like 1st year numbers for Green but bottomline is he has a lot more upside then a Euro bigman who at best can be a decent center or a pavel podskline like bust.

Name 1 Euro center who wasn't a clear cut #1 pick that you would justify picking over wade, amare, mcgrady, pierce?

McGrady averaged 9ppg but didn't become a starter untill his 3rd year. The point is even he needed patience. If you're willing to grant patience for 18-19 year old wing players why not 18-19 year old centers?

Is Pavel a bust? He wasn't taken till the 20's and hasn't got consistent minutes yet. I realize the stuff on Darko, Tskita hasn't been great yeat but neither of those guys were true C's. A lot of these Euro 7 footers who have been busts have had the games of a SF, which is a position that they are not athletic enough to play in the NBA. This guy is a true C. I don't think we have enough data to say, nor is it a good conclusion to go on, that all Euro centers will be busts. There have been some decent ones in the NBA like Z, Sabonis, Divac etc. I think its a flawed question...we don't know if Green is the next Wade, McGrady either. It's easy to make that choice in retrospect. That's why the draft game is hard. But if all things equal as far as talent is concerned, you always take the bigger guy.

If Isiah takes this guy and you trust his judgement in the draft, than what's not to like? If he scouted this guy and liked him enough to pick him, that's a good sign to me.
TMS
USA
3/31/2005  12:09 PM
that baby shaq kid was supposed to be the real deal too...whatever happened to that cat?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  12:13 PM
Posted by TMS:

that baby shaq kid was supposed to be the real deal too...whatever happened to that cat?

C'mon man...that guy is not even in this kid's class. Shortsianitis wasn't even 6'9. This is a 7'2 240 lb. guy who has plus athleticism and coordination, good fundamentals skills, and apparently has drawn the interest of Zeke. It'd be one thing if myself or BRIGGS or any other poster were just trying to sell this guy on you, but the reason I started this thread was because it looks like Zeke has legitimate interest in him.
gunsnewing
USA
3/31/2005  12:13 PM
Martynas would have to be better or on par with Yao to justify picking him over green/taft imo. do u honestly think MA will be worth it? even if green was to average only 9pts that would still be 3 more points then our beloved ariza and he would contribute until he really becomes a star in 1-3yrs
VDesai
USA
3/31/2005  12:21 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Martynas would have to be better or on par with Yao to justify picking him over green/taft imo. do u honestly think MA will be worth it? even if green was to average only 9pts that would still be 3 more points then our beloved ariza and he would contribute until he really becomes a star in 1-3yrs

I missed the all-american game. I hear Green did well, but I'm not sold on him yet. I'd like to see the game. If I though that 75% this would be the next McGrady rather than another pretender like Qyntel Woods etc. (there are examples of "Next McGrady" busts too), than I'd certainly prefer him. Martynas probably would have been top 10 last year off his workouts and his play in the youth game. From I'll I've read about this kid, he's been one of the most impressive. I can't tell for sure he would be the next Yao, but there are lot of things I like here. Coordination, athleticism...the reports even mention toughness, agressivenes shotblocking ability. Plus training with a guy like Sabonis and even catching his eye is a big plus in my book.

[Edited by - VDesai on 03/31/2005 12:22:31]
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
3/31/2005  12:28 PM
On the good side he led the 2004 European junior Championship in rebounding (13.4 rpg). On the other hand...his numbers in the Euroleague are atrocious: 1,8 points(38% shooting and 31% in FT), 1,2 rebounds and 0,7 blocks (that's good) in just 9 minutes of action. And I doubt his coach has tried to not play him because of the NBA interest since they have lost all their games in the second round league. Honestly, I see Darko Milicic in him if someone drafts him and doesn't dare to play him from the start of the season.
TMS
USA
3/31/2005  12:42 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by TMS:

C'mon man...that guy is not even in this kid's class. Shortsianitis wasn't even 6'9. This is a 7'2 240 lb. guy who has plus athleticism and coordination, good fundamentals skills, and apparently has drawn the interest of Zeke. It'd be one thing if myself or BRIGGS or any other poster were just trying to sell this guy on you, but the reason I started this thread was because it looks like Zeke has legitimate interest in him.

first of all i have no idea if Baby Shaq was equivalent to this guy or not...i've never seen either of them play...all i know is i heard ALOT of people talking about Baby Shaq back then saying he would be big in the NBA, but i haven't heard a peep about him since draft day...i really don't know what happened to him...do you?

& even if Zeke is interested in this guy, i still say it's too big a risk to take for a top 10 pick, unless like i said before he's a true can't miss type prospect...is he? you tell me because i really don't know much about this guy other than what i read about him on NBADraft.net.
NYPost: Article on the draft (Zeke likes Andriuskevicius?)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy