Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/31/2002  12:57 PM
Check the link

http://www.msnbc.com/news/731792.asp

This sounds good because this gives us a good chance to get him. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
VG
Member: #68
Australia
4/1/2002  2:57 AM
Did you guys see this bit in the article:

“The moment Wagner decides he’s coming out, the first team you’ll hear about that desperately wants him is the New York Knicks,” one Eastern Conference scout told The Inquirer. “They love his game, his ability and excitement. They believe he’s a star attraction.

I believe we need help inside but the majority of teams in the past that drafted for position instead of talent got screwed...
DaKidd
Member: #209
USA
4/1/2002  5:49 AM
Posted by VG:

I believe we need help inside but the majority of teams in the past that drafted for position instead of talent got screwed...

I agree ..

I'll take Wagner anytime then we'll just sign a player with Jerome James caliber to address our size issues ..
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/1/2002  11:10 AM
Posted by DaKidd:
Posted by VG:

I agree ..

I'll take Wagner anytime then we'll just sign a player with Jerome James caliber to address our size issues ..
Our Jerome James's always turn into felton spencers though.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
4/1/2002  8:01 PM
We could always try to pry Dampier or Foyle from the Warriors. They're better than Spencer...
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/1/2002  8:44 PM
Posted by VG:

We could always try to pry Dampier or Foyle from the Warriors. They're better than Spencer...
More likely Foyle, but now that Jackson is gone, Golden State may not be so willing to trade one of their big men.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/1/2002  8:54 PM
What about Fortson, it said in Insider a few weeks ago he'd be expendable because they moved Jamison back to 4. Golden State could have a nice lineup if they drafted Qyntel Woods: Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson (future Vinsanity), Qyntel Woods (future T-Mack), Antawn Jamison.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/2/2002  8:39 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

What about Fortson, it said in Insider a few weeks ago he'd be expendable because they moved Jamison back to 4. Golden State could have a nice lineup if they drafted Qyntel Woods: Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson (future Vinsanity), Qyntel Woods (future T-Mack), Antawn Jamison.
Jamison would be p-o'ed if 2 guys on the team were bigger stars than he was.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/2/2002  12:27 PM
I don't follow college ball very much, so I am not sure if Wagner is of the Mighty Mouse/Bibby type or an over-hyped Lopez phenomenon or an Iverson in the waiting, but drafting a guy like Duan may be good in the short run and the long run.

Sure, if the Knicks draft Wagner they would be drafting a player in the position that they least likely need - they already have 3 point guards and 3 shooting guards. But are the Knicks drafting for a stopgap solution - there might not be any Tim Duncans or sure-fire starters out there - or are they rebuilding? I say they have to rebuild. I mean, really, will adding Ming or Gooden or Wilcox (fulfilling big men/post player needs) propel them to deep playoff games? No. Can the Knicks draft a player and then trade one of their current players for the right playoff player mix? Probably not. I say they have to start over.

So why Duan? The kid is local and seems to be spectacular to watch. You have to appease the audience and position your team to “lose” in the right fashion at the same time; putting on a good show while losing is not too bad, especially if the team shows promise. By drafting a young player and letting him play, he gets experience and the Knicks get L’s and a higher draft position in the next draft. With the NBA, you have to be either a playoff contender or really such, mediocrity gets you nothing – not a draft pick or a team that is fun to watch ($$$).

At the same time the Knicks will have to trade one or more of their veterans. This probably means Spree and at least one other big name (big name for the Knicks anyway). If Thomas has been getting touches lately to pump us his trade value, this is a good thing. I would try to trade Spree and Thomas as a set (how about Lamar and a draft pick?).

By the time Duan is really ready to play and some other potential trades occurs, the like of Ward and Jackson would come off the books. Not much, but it’s better.

Draft Duan? Draft a big man? Ming-me? Rebuild? Thoughts?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/2/2002  1:17 PM
For what its worth, I completely agree. Get a player to build around instead of drafting by position. We've seen how this can be killer for some teams. Best player available, if its Wagner, get him. If its Wilcox, get him. If it comes down to Amare Stoudemire, get him. Get someone who will be a great player, and hasn't yet peaked.
#Knickstaps
Wagner Unofficially Declares

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy