[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

i want to hear the fans views on this team after the last 4 games
Author Thread
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/31/2005  11:54 AM
I think I'm on the wrong board...I've read nothing but positivity.

seriously, if we had camby and Houston healthy, we'd be a strong 3 seed.

We need that shot blocking big...that's the only big we need.

And I agree on the healthy SG...I thought h20 said he was gonna play this year? LIES!

So, marbs is definitely the man, craw is definitely a 6th man (and judging by his salary this year, it's fitting). Our payroll is deceptive because the highest paid player doesn't play, and we still have shandon on the books for boku bucks.

So, looking at the salary, if we get rid of penny, and ignore houstons salary, and really think of TT as a 6-7 mill player, is it really that bad?

Not sure...but something to think about.

sorry for the ramble...taking it all in.
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/31/2005  12:03 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

I think I'm on the wrong board...I've read nothing but positivity.

seriously, if we had camby and Houston healthy, we'd be a strong 3 seed.

We need that shot blocking big...that's the only big we need.

And I agree on the healthy SG...I thought h20 said he was gonna play this year? LIES!

So, marbs is definitely the man, craw is definitely a 6th man (and judging by his salary this year, it's fitting). Our payroll is deceptive because the highest paid player doesn't play, and we still have shandon on the books for boku bucks.

So, looking at the salary, if we get rid of penny, and ignore houstons salary, and really think of TT as a 6-7 mill player, is it really that bad?

Not sure...but something to think about.

sorry for the ramble...taking it all in.

It is that bad! We still are handicapped by the figure. Im sure Dolan writing a 50million dollar check is gonna hurt big, but thats his cross to bare. OUrs is the lack of flexibilty to get better. That is the fans cross. In fact, we still got John Ameachi on the books for $1.2 million!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/31/2005  12:05 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote] "Does shooting 36% 3s really hurt the team? Statistically, it's the same as shooting 54% 2s." - Bonn1997 (sorry dude but this is CLASSIC)
LOL! I just noticed that now. Why would you apologize? I'm not ashamed to have accurate multiplication skills. I didn't say it was practically the equivalent of shooting 54% 2s. That's a separate discussion. I only said it was statistically equivalent. You actually found that interesting enough to use as your signature? Whatever makes you happy...

i found the depths that you would go to to defend something that is clearly a negative (in the crawford thread) absolutely hilarious.
The depths that I would go? You mean four sentences? You have a generous sense of humor I guess. That's a good quality

Craw hides out behind the 3 pt line. He needs to get much stronger and diversify his game, because it makes it easy to defend. There are also intangibles about 3pt shooting, like long rebounds that create breaks for the other team, foul trouble for interior players going over the back etc.. 3pt shooting is a weapon, but I think it needs to be used wisely and not pre-dominantly.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/31/2005  12:14 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:
"Does shooting 36% 3s really hurt the team? Statistically, it's the same as shooting 54% 2s." - Bonn1997 (sorry dude but this is CLASSIC)
LOL! I just noticed that now. Why would you apologize? I'm not ashamed to have accurate multiplication skills. I didn't say it was practically the equivalent of shooting 54% 2s. That's a separate discussion. I only said it was statistically equivalent. You actually found that interesting enough to use as your signature? Whatever makes you happy...

i found the depths that you would go to to defend something that is clearly a negative (in the crawford thread) absolutely hilarious.
The depths that I would go? You mean four sentences? You have a generous sense of humor I guess. That's a good quality

Also, I'll say this again and again, but Bonn is absolutely right. I'd rather Craw shoot threes than deep twos. I wish he drove more, but I have no problem with his 3s, its his lack of midrange consistancy that kills him.
When I initially posted that comment, I thought we'd get a discussion on whether the 36% of 3s really is equivalent to 54% of 2s. I guess most people here aren't math dorks, though. I'll add a few comments anyway. As most posters know, all sophisticated websites use an adjusted FG% that counts 3s as 1.5 field goals. There are plenty of arguments (both statistical and practical) on both sides of the issue (i.e., to suggest that a 3 is more than 1.5 times as valuable as a 2 and to suggest that a 3 is less than 1.5 times as valuable.
On statistical grounds, you can compare 2 for 6 3 pt shooting against 3 for 6 3 pt shooting. Both equal 6 points on 6 possessions. However, The team with the player shooting 2 for 6 on 3s has four opportunities to get an offensive rebound, whereas the team with the player shooting 3 of 6 on 3s has only 3 opportunities. This would be an advantage for the team with the 3 point shooter. In contrast, though, missed 3s often lead to long rebound and easier fast break pts for the opponent. You'd have the potential for four fast breaks with the 2 for 6 3 pt shooter and 3 with the 3 for 6 2 pt shooter. That's an advantage for the 2 point shooter. Finally, 3 pt shooters help spread out the opposing team's defense. If Marbury has an excellent 3 pt shooter on the right side (Ray Allen??), that defender can't leave the shooter when Marbury dribbles right with his strong hand. This is the case more often when you have a guy shooting better than 36% for his 3s, although if 36% on 3s really is the same as 54% on 2s, it would suggest the other team should guard a 36% 3 pt shooter very tightly.

Regardless of this analysis, we all know that Jamal needs to drive to the basket much more often and that shooting *nothing but 3s* hurts the team. That's a different topic.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/31/2005  3:51 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote] "Does shooting 36% 3s really hurt the team? Statistically, it's the same as shooting 54% 2s." - Bonn1997 (sorry dude but this is CLASSIC)

Craw hides out behind the 3 pt line. He needs to get much stronger and diversify his game, because it makes it easy to defend. There are also intangibles about 3pt shooting, like long rebounds that create breaks for the other team, foul trouble for interior players going over the back etc.. 3pt shooting is a weapon, but I think it needs to be used wisely and not pre-dominantly.

yeah briggs, but statistically, he IS shooting 54% from 2's - that's 1st team all nba numbers
tomverve
Member: #878
4/1/2005  12:48 AM
The 4 game road trip proved one thing, primarily-- we're still a poor road team. We probably would have gone 2-2 or 3-1 if that was a 4 game homestand instead of a 4 game western swing. I really don't see the big deal-- it just reaffirmed what we've known for a while. I'm actually quite happy that we dumped all those games, because it'll help us get a better talent in the draft. Talent cures a lot of ills, and this team just needs lots more of it.

The constant harping on the money is lame. Even though the roster is predominantly Isiah's acquisitions now, he's had to work under the constraints given by Layden. The way the CBA is structured, we just can't expect our cap situation to evaporate overnight. As for the salary Isiah has added (and this is in terms of contract length, not what we're spending this year-- if Isiah had sat on his butt and done nothing, we'd still have been doling out massive dollars this year): JC and KT are reasonable contracts, perhaps a bit over market value, but nothing terrible; and Taylor's and JYD's contracts are negligible, since they don't outrun Houston's and Shamdon's. The only real salary cap damage Isiah has done has been acquiring Rose, since his contract outlives Houston's and Shamdon's by a year. But for a team in dire need of young talent, getting 2 draft picks arguably makes Rose's last contract year worth it, even if they're late first rounders.

Here's my appeal (again). Let's just wait and see what happens on draft night before we wring our hands in a nervous fit. It's not that far off now, and it will be Isiah's first chance to make a big splash in the draft. Wait 3 months, and we'll have a lot of new information that will tell us the direction that we're headed in.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
tomverve
4/1/2005  12:50 AM
PS, djs, my advice is to give it up. Bonn's response has been quite reasonable. You come off looking petty by taking what he said out of context and trying to make him look bad for it.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/1/2005  1:00 AM
Posted by tomverve:

The 4 game road trip proved one thing, primarily-- we're still a poor road team. We probably would have gone 2-2 or 3-1 if that was a 4 game homestand instead of a 4 game western swing. I really don't see the big deal-- it just reaffirmed what we've known for a while. I'm actually quite happy that we dumped all those games, because it'll help us get a better talent in the draft. Talent cures a lot of ills, and this team just needs lots more of it.

The constant harping on the money is lame. Even though the roster is predominantly Isiah's acquisitions now, he's had to work under the constraints given by Layden. The way the CBA is structured, we just can't expect our cap situation to evaporate overnight. As for the salary Isiah has added (and this is in terms of contract length, not what we're spending this year-- if Isiah had sat on his butt and done nothing, we'd still have been doling out massive dollars this year): JC and KT are reasonable contracts, perhaps a bit over market value, but nothing terrible; and Taylor's and JYD's contracts are negligible, since they don't outrun Houston's and Shamdon's. The only real salary cap damage Isiah has done has been acquiring Rose, since his contract outlives Houston's and Shamdon's by a year. But for a team in dire need of young talent, getting 2 draft picks arguably makes Rose's last contract year worth it, even if they're late first rounders.

Here's my appeal (again). Let's just wait and see what happens on draft night before we wring our hands in a nervous fit. It's not that far off now, and it will be Isiah's first chance to make a big splash in the draft. Wait 3 months, and we'll have a lot of new information that will tell us the direction that we're headed in.

excellent post, if one did not know anything about the knicks, some in here would make you believe that IT inherited a young team with 15 million dollars in salary, then in one year added 90 million worth of players who can't play, are old, or over paid.... I don't' know man, I just don't know sometimes...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/1/2005  1:05 AM
Well, my opinion of IT is well known, so I'll just skip that part.

I don't agree with the argument that IT has not contributed to the money issue though. He has def added money long-term, past Houston's deal even, and he has given away draft picks.

Lets examine the trades shall we.

IT comes, here go the trades:

Spoon for Mooch was a good trade because Mooch's last year is a team option.

Marbury trade, we took on a lot of money in Marbury and Penny, both long-term then, not Penny will be gone, so we are left with Marbury, which I guess is ok sine he is well worth the money. However we gave up 2 1st found picks, expiring deals, and projects, regardless if they work out or not, at the time they had value.

KVH for TT trade, plain terrible, we added a year in money as TT is signed for a year more I believe, and we got a worse player back, and Mohammed for Doleac and a 2nd round pick is really a wash. Neither player is a starter, and the 2nd pick further levels the field.

Craw trade, once again we took JYD, who goes past Houston, and makes a lot of money for a selectively used role player. Craw is also making substantial enough money to be a starter, for a damn long time, while not really impressing anybody so far. We gave away more expiring contracts that we could have just let go.

We waived Anderson, which I think is fine, but he is still on the cap, playing for another team. I would have just kept on the team and never played until his head exploded with those headaches of his.

Now, this draft is IT's last chance, if he continues the trend of piling up deals that go past H20's walk year, and give away for draft busts, he is def a failure.

The main point I'm trying to make is that this is IT's roster, he has added money to the payroll that goes past Houston's year in mainly Malik and JYD who do take up a good chunk of the cap while both being at best good bench players, and both getting older.

So please stop saying that IT has not done anything to make the cap situation worse. He has not created it, but he has father exacerbated it.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
simrud
USA
4/1/2005  1:07 AM
By the way, I did not mention the Malik and Mo trade on purpose, that has been beaten down so much, everybody knows all there is to know about it, so please keep it out of the discussion.
tomverve
4/1/2005  1:12 AM
TT's contract is essentially the same length as KVH's (KVH has a player option for next season). Both Penny and TT expire a year before Houston and Shamdon. JYD's contract does not outrun Houston's (Houston expires in '07; JYD has a contract year for 07/08, but it's a team option).
simrud
USA
4/1/2005  9:11 AM
I dout KVH does not exercise his player option, he is never getting this much money again.

Good point about JYD's deal, that is def. a good thing.

However Rose and Craw are still signed past Houston, and along with Marbury that is a sizable chunk of the cap.

If IT drafts a stud this year and gets a real coach, and the team has a winning record next year to the tune of about 45 wins, I would get of his back. However personally I don't think he is capable. We'll see though.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/1/2005  9:31 AM
I think 90% of the problem with Isiah and what he's done (for me) is he's done nothing to establish an identity or style of play.

When we had Spree, Houston, Ward, Eisley, Anderson, KT, Spoon, Harrington and Doleac we actually had more of an identity. We won 37 games which is pretty good considering we had the smallest and most limited frontcourts in all of BB. BUT we were top 3 in the league in fewest TOs, number of 3's made and 3 point %. Also very high in FT%. We were a perimeter team and that group played very well together considering how bad our bigs were.

Thats what I mean by identity. I wasnt expecting Isiah to field a 50 game winning roster after a year. I was expecting him to get a couple players that fit into the long term goal and establish a style of play.

He's totally failed to do that, and it hurts us every night. When you have a style of play it gives you something to build one, some kind of plan to follow.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/1/2005  9:36 AM
Why are you blaming Isiah for the identity problem, isn't it the coaches' job???? We appear to find some form of an identity with Herb, but it will not be a solid identity until Herb has a full training camp under his belt.

Posted by fishmike:

I think 90% of the problem with Isiah and what he's done (for me) is he's done nothing to establish an identity or style of play.

When we had Spree, Houston, Ward, Eisley, Anderson, KT, Spoon, Harrington and Doleac we actually had more of an identity. We won 37 games which is pretty good considering we had the smallest and most limited frontcourts in all of BB. BUT we were top 3 in the league in fewest TOs, number of 3's made and 3 point %. Also very high in FT%. We were a perimeter team and that group played very well together considering how bad our bigs were.

Thats what I mean by identity. I wasnt expecting Isiah to field a 50 game winning roster after a year. I was expecting him to get a couple players that fit into the long term goal and establish a style of play.

He's totally failed to do that, and it hurts us every night. When you have a style of play it gives you something to build one, some kind of plan to follow.
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
USA
4/1/2005  9:41 AM
Posted by fishmike:

It's easy to look like you have no identity when you're losing. The Pistons and Grizzlies looked that way a couple of years ago when they were 28 win teams. With Marbury, tons of 1st rd picks over the next 2 years, and tons of expiring contracts, Isiah has the right pieces to make a turnaround like those clubs did.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/1/2005  9:54 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Why are you blaming Isiah for the identity problem, isn't it the coaches' job???? We appear to find some form of an identity with Herb, but it will not be a solid identity until Herb has a full training camp under his belt.
Will KT, Mo Taylor, Penny, Baker, Nazr, Sweetney EVER be uptempo players?
Will Crawford, Ariza, TT ever thrive in the half court?

This entire roster is Isiah's at this point, as Sweetney is "untouchable" and Isiah extended KT.

It is ABSOLUTELY the GMs job to put pieces together that fit together. How is a coach supposed to get KT and Sweetney (starters) to thrive in an uptempo game, or Crawford and TT (starters) to thrive in a halfcourt game when they NEVER have.

How do you blame a coach for not getting guys to play D that have NEVER played D?

Say I'm a manager, and I need to person with great people skills. My company hires a total SOB and says here's your guy... now work with him. When he's an SOB and not a great people guy is it my fault because I am his manager? This is what I am talking. Blame the coaches all you want... but Isiah hasnt given them anything to build a style of play around.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
4/1/2005  9:55 AM
[quote]
Posted by tomverve:

The 4 game road trip proved one thing, primarily-- we're still a poor road team.

Let me tell you where you are wrong. Losing 4 games, 3 games to teams in the lottery for sure, when you still had great opportunity to get into position for an 8 tseed[obviously their goal]eiether home or away is BRUTAL. I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember the 90s teams, but NOT one team from the 90s would have lost those 4 of those, no chance. If you cant win games on the road, you're a BAD team! No iffs ands or buts.
And this thing that Isiah has had to deal with layden's contracts, OK but they wouldve all been settled by next year except for andersen with Houston likely done. Because Houston did not play the more than 20% of the games, if WHEN he retires this summer, that comes off the cap at the end of next year. That leaves only the Andersen contract.

Isiah is reponsible for 56MM on ONLY 6 contracts for 2006-2007, and he is responsible for ADDING 64 MM to NEXT years cap, nothing to do with Laydumb.

You know how many bad contract the Knicks took on from 1989-1999? NONE! Guess what, we were always over the cap except for when they made cap space room set up for 1994 AND they set up acquiring 3 picks in 1995[they just flatly did not pick well]

for Goodness sakes, OTHELLA Harrington can do what Mo taylor does, probably better. If we wanted another undersized back up, why did we spend an additional 100mm per for 2 extra years just to cover up Isiah's DUMB signing of Baker in which he also OVERpaid

this thing that isiah has an eye for talent? lets discount Marbury because we paid a ransom to get him in $$$$$$ picks and other assets,Isiah took a deal Layden had on the table and adde to it till the point the deal got done. Fine, but almost EVERY move since Marbury has been lateral, but lateral is NOT good enough when you are outspending everyone by mega millions. You have that competitive advantage and you spend 10mm per on Taylor? What Dave Checkettes said yesterday was absolutley right, no one can say anything against it. Now maybe Isiah can get us out of this, but why would anyone have confidence? Why did this team go from 29-23 aftre the Marbury trade to 29-41 AFTER spending an additional 100mm$ on contracts? Maybe because the east was just so bad last year that the 29-23 was skewed?

The only positive we have from this ENTIRE year is Ariza, who, is still a raw talent.
we have been one of the lucky teams in terms of injuries. We had only a few compared to most teams.
There are no excuses here, there have been no positives about this year, and we will see what the draft picks yield, and mY BEt is we DRAFT NO ONE. Those will be traded and extra salary will come pouring in again.

what team that has won a championship has taken on salaries like this, let me answer NONE!

Is the owner responsible? Obviously he has a big hand in some things, but I believe Isiah has a lot more pull than Laydumb and has a MUCH bigger wallet. Let me tell you this, the 90s Knicks would have nEVEr taken a Crawford as a SG, never. He's a pssy. I guess you could consider H2) as the lightweight for the Knicks in the 90s but he had a good physical build and toughness in his own right. Crawford is no Houston, not in his dreams.
I dont know if there is a way out of this because of the mega contract he has taken in. there is no rip it down from here, because if that was even a thought, Mo taylot and malik would not be here.
Heck it cost Portland 3mm$ for the 24 pick last year? Instead of adding two years of contract with malik rose, why didnt we simply offer to buy a late round pick? Much cheaper!
Its a huge mish-mosh of undersized overvalued overpaid players.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
4/1/2005  10:17 AM
BRIGGS: what team that has won a championship has taken on salaries like this, let me answer NONE!
No team has tried it before. You can't judge much from a sample size of zero! It looks like the Knicks are modelling their approach after the Yankees, with some exceptions because the CBA makes it more difficult to do what the Yankees do.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/1/2005  10:20 AM
to quote barrington levy "we're living dangerously..."

situation was bad.
the team was bad.
isiah hasn't really done anything to change it.
the situation is still bad.
the team is still bad.

this summer will probably put us back another 5 years. AWESOME!!!
BRIGGS
4/1/2005  10:48 AM
[quote]
Posted by djsunyc:

to quote barrington levy "we're living dangerously..."

situation was bad.
the team was bad.
isiah hasn't really done anything to change it.
the situation is still bad.
the team is still bad.

this summer will probably put us back another 5 years. AWESOME!!!

Well, I wish I could say different, but the bottom line with all of this wheelin and dealin and the mega millions we have spent, our second round draft pick is just about the only positive from the year, and we can say a lot of negatives which i wont re-iterate.

Now Im holding tight here, I want to give this one more full year which would put Isiah at nearly 3 years. If there are some stupid arse moves this offseason and more at the deadline, I guarntee you will here fire Isiah chants mid-season. Once that comes, its all over.

So this offseason better spring eternal hope. He had the option of staying in the lottery in 2003 and using our assets to acquire more picks with what we had. he made the quick decision on Starbury and Lenny--he didnt have to do it. he couldve said the only way out of this mess is to rebuild the team or Im not taking the job.
RIP Crushalot😞
i want to hear the fans views on this team after the last 4 games

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy