[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hello from Spain
Author Thread
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
3/30/2005  12:53 PM
Hello to everybody here. First of all, I'm Spanish, and I'm probably going to make a lot of mistakes with my spelling, so feel free to correct me and I'll improve my English .
Today I decided to register but I have been reading this forum for two years, and honestly this is the best Knicks board by far. I really like this website. And even with me being Spanish, I enjoyed each of the 6 three-pointers Marbury sank against Spain at the Olimpics.
I can't watch almost any Knicks game in my country because Spanish TV thinks that we only want to see Gasol or Raul Lopez, so I normally follows them through ESPN or yahoo (even when it's 4 a.m. in my country).
With all that said I would like to warn you about the Euro players. I honestly think European talent is overrated. I mean, there are a lot of good players but they are older than 25, and it seems like you only search for sized players who are young even if they don't know almost anything about basketball! I mean, Darko Milicic was averaging 1,8 points before he was drafted!
Anyway, from the players I know, Fran Vazquez is a good player and will probably become a very good player here and a useful one in the NBA. But he's not strong, he doesn't play defense (although he's a decent shot-blocker) and finally I don't see him as a center. He's number are improving as the season goes on and his team won the Spanish cup recently. Let's see how he does in the play-offs.
Splitter, wow, I can't understand how this guy is considered a top ten pick. I can't predict the future but I don't think he's ready to go to the NBA since he's not even a starter. I think you should wait a bit more to draft this kind of players. He's averaging 7,9 points, 4,2 rebounds and 0,7 blocks in 22 minutes. Maybe next year he has an exceptional season, but right now he's just a nice bench player IMO.
J.C. Navarro is an incredible player, super faster and with good shooting range. He played like crap at the Olimpics, but he's one of the few players who can really change a game. The problem is that he's not a true point guard but he's very undersized for a SG (6,4/6,5). He was drafted by the Wizards and he's still playing for F.C.Barcelona. But just one thing, he's a million times better than Raul Lopez, who should have never been drafted, since he didn't show a lot of things in Spain, apart from being a nice prospect and an injury-prone player.
And that Petro guy....I haven't seen him play, but come on, just because he had a great dunk and he's athletic, he's not going to be excellent. There are tons of athletic players, but few of them are skilled as for example, Mike Sweetney.
I hope I have a great time here with you guys!
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/30/2005  12:59 PM
Welcome dude. It's great to have you here. Keep pumping us with info on European League players!!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/30/2005  1:03 PM
Welcome dude. It's great to have you here. Keep pumping us with info on European League players!!
Ditto. Welcome and thanks for that info.!
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
3/30/2005  1:04 PM
Welcome DarkKnicks! Thanks for the info...

...and by the way, your English is good, in fact it's a lot better than some of the regulars on here. HAHA!!
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/30/2005  1:33 PM
Hey DarKnicks, I heard the same complaints about Splitter. Some of my foreign co-workers said that he wasn't that much better than Lampe when they played each other in the junior leagues and that Milicic was light years better than both of them. Is that why he drop out of the draft the last two years or was it commitments to his team, like his agent said?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/30/2005  1:46 PM
ah, who needs ya!

just kidding dude, welcome aboard.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/30/2005  1:53 PM
Hey man. Welcome to the ultiamteknicks fan forums. I cant wait to hear your thoughts on the current team and talk about trades etc. Its going to be great.
Posted by DarkKnicks:

Splitter, wow, I can't understand how this guy is considered a top ten pick. I can't predict the future but I don't think he's ready to go to the NBA since he's not even a starter. I think you should wait a bit more to draft this kind of players. He's averaging 7,9 points, 4,2 rebounds and 0,7 blocks in 22 minutes. Maybe next year he has an exceptional season, but right now he's just a nice bench player IMO.
This is good stuff! I guess Tiago might not be the best idea for the Knicks after all. What do u say Guns?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/30/2005  1:54 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:

Hey DarKnicks, I heard the same complaints about Splitter. Some of my foreign co-workers said that he wasn't that much better than Lampe when they played each other in the junior leagues and that Milicic was light years better than both of them. Is that why he drop out of the draft the last two years or was it commitments to his team, like his agent said?
I have heard both versions but I'm almost sure that it was the first reason. Oh, and you have remembered me that Lampe guy. He played for Real Madrid. That team didn't even reach the play-offs that year and Lampe wasn't even there. Real Madrid let him play for another team who wasn't playing in the same league! In Spain we have the ACB and the LEB (to some degree is like comparing the NBA to the CBA), and he was in a LEB team. Yes, he put good numbers down there, but I was absolutely when I found out that we had drafted him. Vujanic on the other hand has been playing very good all these recent years.
I'm gonna tell you my opinion about more european players and other players I have seen on www.nbadraft.net:
Gelabale-> The best things I can say about him is that he is atheltic and has good attitude. He might become a decent player, but right now he's not a starter and he doesn't shoot well enough.
Hervelle->If this guy makes the draft is going to Make Slavko Vranes looks like Shaquille O'Neal. Here we have a 6'9 player who CAN'T hit anything from inside the paint, who shoot some 3's (and of course he hit none) and commits a lot of turnovers. That's what I call a player who doesn't know anything about basketball. He's soft and his only good attribute is that he grabs a lot of offensive boards. He also plays for Real Madrid.
Scola->He was drafted by the Spurs a few years ago and I tell you that he's awesome. He has EXCELLENT post moves and he's a good rebounder. His defense is ok. He will be in the NBA soon. He plays for TAU Cerámica.
A good player that hasn't been drafted is Jose Manuel Calderon. He was the Spanish starting PG at the Olimpics. I really think he's ready for the NBA. He's quick, strong, athletic and he knows how to run a team. I think he would be an excellent back up PG in the NBA.
Thanks for the replies!

[Edited by - DarkKnicks on 03/30/2005 13:56:27]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/30/2005  2:09 PM
Thanks for the info on the Euro players DarkKnicks and welcome to the forums.

I have a few questions to ask...First, don't a lot of the Euro teams hide their best young prospects on the bench for a while? I understand Splitter is only coming off the bench, but I think the NBA scouts are looking more at his potential than his current production. Do you feel he doesn't really have great potential? He is only 19 or 20 right?

Interesting thoughts on Vazquez. A lot of the stuff online says he is the most NBA ready player. Do you agree that he is like a poor man's Camby?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2005  2:09 PM
bienvenida!!! tenga cuidado, islesfan tiene una cabeza de popa... Bonn hace también.

Good to have you man
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/30/2005  2:11 PM
Posted by fishmike:

bienvenida!!! tenga cuidado, islesfan tiene una cabeza de popa... Bonn hace también.

Good to have you man

I second that. Awesome to see that the Knicks have fans as far as Spain even though they suck right now! You are our new foreign scout, its a big job, are you up for it?
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/30/2005  2:38 PM
welcome, how soon til we starting calling you Darko?

Can you give us your lowdown on Fran Vazquez?

good to have another European scout.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/30/2005  2:42 PM
Thanks for the info Dark. Your scouting reports are 100 times more better than Chad's Ford at ESPN. So as a Knick fan, who do you like to see the Knicks take if they go European? I am guessing they will be at least mid lottery. Sorry for this but NBATV doesn't put on that much Euroleague stuff.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2005  2:46 PM
hey man you're a great addition to this board! you scouting report is a lot more valid then a chad ford going to europe for a few days and overhyping everyone. You know see these guys a lot more!
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
3/30/2005  2:48 PM
welcome and thanks for the scouting reports, keep em coming
http://allknicks.com
DarkKnicks
Spain
3/30/2005  2:51 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I have a few questions to ask...First, don't a lot of the Euro teams hide their best young prospects on the bench for a while? I understand Splitter is only coming off the bench, but I think the NBA scouts are looking more at his potential than his current production. Do you feel he doesn't really have great potential? He is only 19 or 20 right?

Interesting thoughts on Vazquez. A lot of the stuff online says he is the most NBA ready player. Do you agree that he is like a poor man's Camby?
About Splitter: well, the word potencial is very difficult to define. I mean, he can be a great player, but in my opinion he has to show that he can dominate here in order to go to the NBA, and he hasn't done it yet. I'm gonna give you a clear example. Gasol didn't put great numbers before he went to the NBA (12 points and 7 rebounds or so), but he averaged more than 22 points in the finals and he destroyed Real Madrid at the Spanish cup final with 28 points and 13 rebounds.
The European coaching is very diferent from the American, but they never hide their players on the bench, they simply don't trust them enough. Here, if a player misses two consecutive shots he goes to the bench, and that's why just very few players play more than 30 minutes. That's why I don't like European basketball so much.
Fran Vazquez, yes he is very similar to Camby ...whithout the super shotblocking ability, although he's not bad at that issue. I think he will be a solid player.

[Edited by - DarkKnicks on 03/30/2005 14:53:59]
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/30/2005  2:58 PM
Welcome man, it's nice to get another Knick fan from overseas (speaking of which, where is raven?)
Just a little heads to get use to the boards, after every loss you can expect to see several "Fire Isiah" posts, and to counter those posts, expect a couple "He's still better than Layden" arguements.
It gets old pretty fast, but hey, it's NY.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/30/2005  3:01 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:
Posted by VDesai:

About Splitter: well, the word potencial is very difficult to define. I mean, he can be a great player, but in my opinion he has to show that he can dominate here in order to go to the NBA, and he hasn't done it yet. I'm gonna give you a clear example. Gasol didn't put great numbers before he went to the NBA (12 points and 7 rebounds or so), but he averaged more than 22 points in the finals and he destroyed Real Madrid at the Spanish cup final with 28 points and 13 rebounds.
The European coaching is very diferent from the American, but they never hide their players on the bench, they simply don't trust them enough. Here, if a player misses two consecutive shots he goes to the bench, and that's why just very few players play more than 30 minutes. That's why I don't like European basketball so much.
Fran Vazquez, yes he is very similar to Camby ...whithout the super shotblocking ability, although he's not bad at that issue. I think he will be a solid player.

[Edited by - DarkKnicks on 03/30/2005 14:53:59]

Thanks man...great response!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/30/2005  3:10 PM
Good takes DarkMan!

What make you be a Knicks fan? Glad to have you, but why pick our team?

Me, I started following them at age 8, but it was the Earl Monroe trade that got me hooked! Thats back in the day, back when the
"Legends" were on the roster and ruled the planet!

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/30/2005  3:13 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Good to have you man

hahaha

DarkKnicks. It's good to have you though. What do you think of Milos Vujanic and Maciej Lampe? (sorry for the spelling.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Hello from Spain

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy