[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Berman: Phil Jackson
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2005  11:36 AM
I sure hope this is for real and not more media blabble! I really think Phil is considering the Knicks just as much as the Lakers and Cleveland because of his link to the Knicks and the repect he has for them. For guys like Red, Clyde etc

APPLE OF JAX' EYE?

By MARC BERMAN

March 30, 2005 -- LOS ANGELES — Jeanie Buss, Phil Jackson's girlfriend, Lakers VP and daughter of owner Jerry Buss, said last night she "absolutely, yes" sees the Zen Master landing with the Knicks next season.

In an interview by the Staples Center court before the Lakers hosted the Knicks, Buss spoke of the passion that Jackson — a member of the Knicks' two championship teams — still has for the Big Apple.

"It was such a great time of his life," Buss told The Post. "I totally see him back in New York. We were talking about Bill Bradley a couple of hours ago."

Buss joined Jackson on his book-signing tour through New York in the fall.

"When he was in New York in October, he wanted to take me places, wanted to show me everything," Buss said. "He's got a love of the city. A friend of a friend sent to me a New York Knicks team picture when he was on the team. It had all the signatures but they needed Phil's. We sat down. Told me all the stories."

Asked if Jackson and Jeanie could be a package deal for the Knicks, she giggled and said, "Well, maybe if he gave me a ring I'd think of something like that. But I don't think our relationship will be like that. I don't think I can leave my family business."

The Lakers executive admitted, though, that Jackson still could turn down all the jobs available because he seems unsure he wants to coach again.

"As close as I am to Phil, I still don't know if he wants to coach," she said, echoing the Tuesday comments of Jackson's friend and biographer, Charley Rosen.

"What's important to me is he's healthy and feels good. . . . I can't get a read one way or another [if he'll coach]. If he does, I want to make sure wherever he goes he has the support we gave him here."

Buss said she once feared him leaving for the Knicks next season, thinking it was the end of their relationship. Now she's fine with the idea, even if his returning to the Lakers would be her first choice.

She goes to New York twice a season for the NBA's Board of Governor's meetings.

"At the end of last season, when he wasn't coming back, I didn't know where our relationship would go," she said. "I felt a lot of panic keeping him here. Now that we've gone though this year, our relationship is as strong as ever. Do I worry about him going to New York? I don't have that concern anymore."

Jackson had lunch with Jeanie in her Staples Center office Tuesday.

"A bunch of the staff heard he was there, they came up and said hi," she said. "I could see Phil engage with them. I think he misses that interaction with the staff."

Jeanie still can see him back on the Laker bench next season, despite Kobe Bryant's presence.

"Kobe is not the reason Phil is not the Laker coach," she said. "The reason he's not the Laker coach is he had the opportunity to sign the extension and he waited. My father was coming to the conclusion he was going to trade Shaq. Kobe was a free agent and he had a coach who was noncommittal. He had to make a decision. Phil has always said Kobe is one of the best players, and any team with him can compete for a championship. I don't see it being a problem."
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2005  11:48 AM
Let Herb go for another year. He pushes them to play D, benches him when they dont and the players know whats expected from them.

Its up to Isiah to get a group that fits one style of play. He's been a disaster in that regard. I'm not even saying go get stars, but get players that fit some kind of mold. We have some guys that are only good in the half court, some that are only good in the uptempo game and some that are only good in practice.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  11:54 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Let Herb go for another year. He pushes them to play D, benches him when they dont and the players know whats expected from them.

Its up to Isiah to get a group that fits one style of play. He's been a disaster in that regard. I'm not even saying go get stars, but get players that fit some kind of mold. We have some guys that are only good in the half court, some that are only good in the uptempo game and some that are only good in practice.

like when we resigned JVG and missed out on Phil the last time? What if we have another 30win season next year and Herb gets fired during the season and we have to settle for a lesser coach as a replacement who has to incorporate a whole nnew system. We need coaching stability in the worst way if we're going to start winning more than 30games
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/30/2005  11:55 AM
Posted by fishmike:

& some that are only good in some people's wildest imaginations.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/30/2005  12:04 PM
How would Marbury do in the triangle offense? I remember Payton hated it.
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
3/30/2005  12:09 PM
Jackson over Marbury anyday of the week, or marbury could play the off guard
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  12:12 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

because Payton wanted to post up. Marbury doesn't post up so it won't be a problem.

Matter of fact it will be great forn Marbury because he will learn how to win by moving the ball around and getting it to the frontcourt players instead of scoring 40pts and losing. Phil will make Marbury a much smarter player.
TMS
USA
3/30/2005  12:18 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Crawford didn't have much success in it either under Bill Cartwright in Chicago for that matter...i don't think the triangle is right for this team...i would much rather implement a Princeton style offense that runs alot of motion & back cuts off screens, much like what the Nets run.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
3/30/2005  12:58 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Crawford didn't have much success in it either under Bill Cartwright in Chicago for that matter...i don't think the triangle is right for this team...i would much rather implement a Princeton style offense that runs alot of motion & back cuts off screens, much like what the Nets run.
Would Phil be willing to do that, though?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/30/2005  1:11 PM
Nothing but a guess, but if the Knicks hire Jackson, my sense is that Isiah is on shaky ground.
Bonn1997
USA
3/30/2005  1:13 PM
Posted by Rich:

Nothing but a guess, but if the Knicks hire Jackson, my sense is that Isiah is on shaky ground.
That doesn't make sense. Isiah wouldn't hire someone who would put him on shaky ground. No GM would.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/30/2005  1:27 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

That doesn't make sense. Isiah wouldn't hire someone who would put him on shaky ground. No GM would.

My point is that the hire would be made from above, i.e., forced on Isiah.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
3/30/2005  1:41 PM
Its Phil or bust. The Knicks will not win with any other coach out there. The Knicks need Phil thats it, no ifs and buts about it. If the kNicks hire another coach its going to be more of the same. Giving Herb more run at coaching is going to be failure, to do that is buying into the same cool aid as Lenny needs a full training camp with the team. Can't repeat the same mistakes again and again. Phil is to the KNicks what Pat Riley was to the Knicks in the past.

Thats why I say its Phil or bust fo rthe Knicks. Players respect winning coaches and these Knicks need that. Phil is the only one that will instill confidence in the Knicks. Rest of the coaches are all second tier candidates. right now I'm tired of gettign second tier players and coaches. Its time to have something in the league that the best. If it can't be a player then it might as well be the coach.
TMS
USA
3/30/2005  1:49 PM
i'd rather have Pat Riley back to be honest...i just don't see Phil as being the master coach that everyone believes him to be...he's just been fortunate enough to have the best players in the game playing on his teams...he's a great coach, no doubt, but i think Riley is more of a teacher & can get these guys to play better defense on a whole.

of course, Riley would only come here if he was taking Isiah's place as well as taking on the coaching duties, so that's not realistic.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2005  1:59 PM
Posted by TMS:

i'd rather have Pat Riley back to be honest...i just don't see Phil as being the master coach that everyone believes him to be...he's just been fortunate enough to have the best players in the game playing on his teams...he's a great coach, no doubt, but i think Riley is more of a teacher & can get these guys to play better defense on a whole.

of course, Riley would only come here if he was taking Isiah's place as well as taking on the coaching duties, so that's not realistic.
thats more like it. Phil has never built anything or been in a building situation. He's a guy that manages stars.
Pat Riley would be perfect. This group needs a real taskmaster to push them. I dont see anyone out there that fits the bill. I doubt Riley is available but who knows. I cant see Isiah hiring him, because Riley is the kind of guy that would get himself full control.
The other option (I like) is for Isiah to hire someone like Donnie Walsh who he's worked with before to take over most of the GM duties and coach the team himself. He created as much of this mess as the last guy. This way if he's not successfull quickly his ass will be fired and we have a solid GM waiting in the wings.

Who else is out there? Flip? Chuck Daley? Pitino? Nate McMillan?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  3:09 PM
look as soon as Phil Jackson becomes Knicks coach..marbury, crawford, tt and co will start busting their butts for him because his his resume demands respect. SIMPLE AS THAT!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/30/2005  3:16 PM
Riley obvious since he is a better coach than Phil Jax, but since when was he available? Same goes for Chuck Daly. These guys are out of the game. Jax is available and has the best track record out there. I like Herb. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt over other assistants around the league. But if you have a championship coach like Jax who wants to coach the team, then fine, lets bring him in.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/30/2005  3:28 PM
Only one reason why I would love a guy like Phil or Brown as our coach is because we all know that they would be very demanding from players and GM. Phil wouldn't sit around and allow Isiah to trade or bring in guys that are not worthy....Right now, Isiah makes all of the calls. That can be dangerous.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/30/2005  3:31 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by fishmike:

like when we resigned JVG and missed out on Phil the last time? What if we have another 30win season next year and Herb gets fired during the season and we have to settle for a lesser coach as a replacement who has to incorporate a whole nnew system. We need coaching stability in the worst way if we're going to start winning more than 30games

Great point!

And, I really think Jax is not overrated, he takes a few stars and does wonders with role players! Think of the teams Mike had around him? Pippen is a nice player, but the rest of them? Kobe and Shaq are hall of famers, but Rick Fox? Fischer? HOrry? His system enhances the players, makes them better. You don't win by stacking teams, thats why they lost last year. Stacking does not do the job, just ask the yankees! The old Sixers with DR. J should have done more than one title! ITs the chemistry, the system that make the other players better.

Herb is a nice guy, and anyone is better than Lenny was! But lets not confuse "nice" with great. The players are giving up on him as we speak. He is doing a credible job with the "gazy" knicks, but lets not blow another chance at phil!

Riles is not coaching anymore, and I doubt he returns to the Knicks.

My choice is:

Phil
Rick
Flip
Herb/Patrick

Dolan gonna Starphuch the coaching post! IF marbs don't wanna buy into the zen master, then send his sour ass else where. First thing PHil does is take Marbs to central america with a bag of "shrooms" and take him on a walk where the "Wild things are"! Marbs needs some perspective!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/30/2005  3:33 PM
who is Rick????
The true Knickabocker..........
Berman: Phil Jackson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy