[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ariza vs Pietrus Thread
Author Thread
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/30/2005  8:59 AM
Other than Pietrus playing the 2 and Ariza playing the 3, I see very little difference in their game.

I agree Pietrus probablt does get more 3's but and Ariza gets a few more blocks, but I think that is defined more by position and size than by talents and skills. The are slmost clones of each other basketball wise.
~You can't run from who you are.~
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2005  9:06 AM
Posted by joec32033:

Other than Pietrus playing the 2 and Ariza playing the 3, I see very little difference in their game.

I agree Pietrus probablt does get more 3's but and Ariza gets a few more blocks, but I think that is defined more by position and size than by talents and skills. The are slmost clones of each other basketball wise.

not even close imo man. Ariza is still too raw. He still doesn't know what to do with the ball unless he has a wide open lane to dunk the ball. He's not even close to the man to man defender Pietrus is. The difference is Pierrus has been in the league for a couple of years and is much more polished. Maybe ariza will become polished 2-3yrs from now or maybe not if he doesn't work on making his body stronger. Pietrus has the body right now
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/30/2005  9:09 AM
Posted by joec32033:

The are slmost clones of each other basketball wise.
No man. Like you said, Pietrus is more polished. I can see a faint resemblance but I dont think they are similar.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  9:09 AM
he also averages over 2 more pts with the same minutes as Ariza and he's backing up Jason Richardson/dunleavy/baron while Ariza backups up the 9pts, 3rebs Fugazy and Crawford.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/30/2005  9:13 AM
Pietrus is built alot like Ariza, albeit Pietrus is 6-5, 6-6. Saying Pietrus is a little more polished is like saying the rock outside in my yard is more polished than the coal in my barbque. Both are raw, but if you look, Pietrus is averaging 10 points and a few boards and Ariza is averaging what like 5-7 points and a few more rebounds? Both are coming off the bench and both are a work in progress. Pietrus plays on a more offensive oriented team and we have alot of guys that dominate the ball and take alot of shots away from him.

You switch teams and put Ariza on GS and Pietrus here, I bet Ariza is the one averaging 10 points and Pietrus is putting up the more well rounded numbers.
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/30/2005  9:56 AM
2 different players in my view...Pietrus is a great on ball defender...Ariza is great at defending the passing lanes...both are very athletic, but Pietrus is more of an "athlete" in the classic sense while Ariza is a high flyer w/length...i think Pietrus has a better frame to grow into a strong NBA player physically, but Ariza has some basketball instincts that might help him become a better player in the long run...both players will be solid when they learn the game more, but i think Pietrus will be better sooner than Ariza will.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/30/2005  10:28 AM
pietrus is better right now, actually a little more polished I agree, but I think ariza will be the better ball player. Ariza is already a good decision maker out there, pietrus plays a stupid game. Ariza is a good passer, but he can't create off the dribble at all, not yet at least.. Both are high flyers and play above the rim, but ariza plays with more control and has a nose for the ball.. Ariza's game is much smoother..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  10:35 AM
Posted by tkf:

pietrus is better right now, actually a little more polished I agree, but I think ariza will be the better ball player. Ariza is already a good decision maker out there, pietrus plays a stupid game. Ariza is a good passer, but he can't create off the dribble at all, not yet at least.. Both are high flyers and play above the rim, but ariza plays with more control and has a nose for the ball.. Ariza's game is much smoother..

I don't understand why you think Ariza is a better decision maker when instead of pulling up for a jumper he goes up for the dunk with his skinny frame and is either blocked or put on the floor. At least Piertrus can shot the 3!
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  10:37 AM
Posted by TMS:

2 different players in my view...Pietrus is a great on ball defender...Ariza is great at defending the passing lanes...both are very athletic, but Pietrus is more of an "athlete" in the classic sense while Ariza is a high flyer w/length...i think Pietrus has a better frame to grow into a strong NBA player physically, but Ariza has some basketball instincts that might help him become a better player in the long run...both players will be solid when they learn the game more, but i think Pietrus will be better sooner than Ariza will.

thats why I made the camby but shorter comparisons with Ariza. he and Piertrus are too different players. One blocks very few shots not like Marion but is great at overplaying the passing lane and one does the more important thing and that is defend their man and shutdown guys like Kobe. the only similarity is their athletism

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/30/2005 10:38:56]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/30/2005  10:41 AM

Pietrus is clearly a better ball handler and 3pt shooter. Pietrus is also alot stronger than Ariza.

Ariza needs to work on his game and improve on his drives to the baskets and learn how to score if the defender is in the way. Too many times Ariza gets a full head of steam then he gets tangled up and throws up a goofy looking shot.....the ref's don't usually call the foul because it's hard to tell if he lost the handle or if the foul is on Ariza himself.

If Ariza works really hard on his in between game and his ball handling he will be awesome....Like a longer Jerry Stackhouse.

Pietrus just needs consistancy and more minutes. I think what you see with Pietrus is what you get. He kinda plays like Calbert Cheaney when he was younger. I dunno if he will be as good as J-Rich.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

Pietrus is clearly a better ball handler and 3pt shooter. Pietrus is also alot stronger than Ariza.

Ariza needs to work on his game and improve on his drives to the baskets and learn how to score if the defender is in the way. Too many times Ariza gets a full head of steam then he gets tangled up and throws up a goofy looking shot.....the ref's don't usually call the foul because it's hard to tell if he lost the handle or if the foul is on Ariza himself.

If Ariza works really hard on his in between game and his ball handling he will be awesome....Like a longer Jerry Stackhouse.

Pietrus just needs consistancy and more minutes. I think what you see with Pietrus is what you get. He kinda plays like Calbert Cheaney when he was younger. I dunno if he will be as good as J-Rich.

Pietrus and J-Rich are 2 completely different players. Piertrus plays much better defense but will never be the play Jrich is offensively but he can be the poor man's Ron Artest we so desperately need with more explosiveness at the wing. He can definitely develope offensively the way Artest did since he already can shoot the 3 well.
EnySpree

3/30/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by TMS:

Ariza has some basketball instincts that might help him become a better player in the long run...

I think that's what will make Ariza a really good player. Even without a good handle or ability to finish on the drive when the dunk is not there.....Ariza still get's it done.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tkf
3/30/2005  11:00 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by tkf:

I don't understand why you think Ariza is a better decision maker when instead of pulling up for a jumper he goes up for the dunk with his skinny frame and is either blocked or put on the floor. At least Piertrus can shot the 3!

you just answerd your own question, why should ariza take a 3 or a jumper when he knows that is his weaker area, instead of setting for his weakness, he tries to exploit his strength and that is taking it to the hoop, therefore a good decision, now the fact that it does not always work out does not mean it was a bad decision.

Now pietrus as you said can shoot, so I ask, when he is open why does he always try and take it to the hoop and make some superman leap over a defender in position already, if anything that shows lack of good decesion making, especially if he can hit the outside shot..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree

3/30/2005  11:07 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Pietrus and J-Rich are 2 completely different players. Piertrus plays much better defense but will never be the play Jrich is offensively but he can be the poor man's Ron Artest we so desperately need with more explosiveness at the wing. He can definitely develope offensively the way Artest did since he already can shoot the 3 well.

Rich and Pietrus are two very different players.

I don't like the Ron Artest comparison though. I know you said poor man's Artest but I don't see them being similiar skill wise. Pietrus' defense is not like Artest. As far as skill....only people that are St Johns fans know how good Artest was in college. Artest was the same do it all type of player in college.

What I do like about Pietrus is he plays within himself and he is learning the game. I think he might earn a starting spot in this league one day. Still I have a hard time giving him so much credit....maybe it's the whole French thing,
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  11:08 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by tkf:

you just answerd your own question, why should ariza take a 3 or a jumper when he knows that is his weaker area, instead of setting for his weakness, he tries to exploit his strength and that is taking it to the hoop, therefore a good decision, now the fact that it does not always work out does not mean it was a bad decision.

Now pietrus as you said can shoot, so I ask, when he is open why does he always try and take it to the hoop and make some superman leap over a defender in position already, if anything that shows lack of good decesion making, especially if he can hit the outside shot..

its not a bad decision because he has no other option! he has no ability to pull up and sink a jumper so i don't understand why you think he's smarter than Pietrus can shoot! Look I love Ariza but he has a lot of things to improve on before he becomes the superstar Grant Hill player some of you guys expect him to become! He can still be a nice player but he has a long way to go to become a star.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/30/2005 11:09:13]
EnySpree

3/30/2005  11:09 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by tkf:

Good points.
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  11:18 AM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Rich and Pietrus are two very different players.

I don't like the Ron Artest comparison though. I know you said poor man's Artest but I don't see them being similiar skill wise. Pietrus' defense is not like Artest. As far as skill....only people that are St Johns fans know how good Artest was in college. Artest was the same do it all type of player in college.

What I do like about Pietrus is he plays within himself and he is learning the game. I think he might earn a starting spot in this league one day. Still I have a hard time giving him so much credit....maybe it's the whole French thing,

I agree except I dont agree with TKF's notion that Pietrus is a dumb player. He problably saw the 1 dunk attempt that we denied him lastnight and automatically made the assumption that he's a stupid player.

I've seen Piertrus throw down some of the most incredible dunks but I also saw him win at least 2 games with 3's. and he hit two 3's in a row effortlessly lastnight so saying all he does is go for dunks is stupid. He has a very good looking release on his jumpshot unlike Ariza's awkwardness.

He will be a starting SG once he becomes a free agent and gets the full MLE. Too bad its not this year.

I was looking for other good defensive players to compare him to but artest is the only one that came to mind. I know there's other examples out there. Maybe more like a Richard Jefferson but without the lowpost game. But the same attack the basket mentality and defensive aggressiveness and a better 3pt shot.
tkf
3/30/2005  11:26 AM
guns I don't understand your point man, the fact that ariza does not shoot well, makes him less smarter. Look, you would be hard pressed to find a smarter player than Dennis Rodman, yet he could not shoot a lick, so are you telling me that rodman was not a smart player because he could not shoot a jumper. What I am saying is that pietrus does not make good passes, he relies a lot on instincts, ariza is 19, yet he finds ways to make impact on games in various ways, playing the passing lanes, rebounding, and he is good at finding the open man, he seems to have a very good grasp of the game..Pietrus reacts, like nalod said, he very much reminds me of gerald wilkens....
gunsnewing
USA
3/30/2005  11:50 AM
Posted by tkf:

guns I don't understand your point man, the fact that ariza does not shoot well, makes him less smarter. Look, you would be hard pressed to find a smarter player than Dennis Rodman, yet he could not shoot a lick, so are you telling me that rodman was not a smart player because he could not shoot a jumper. What I am saying is that pietrus does not make good passes, he relies a lot on instincts, ariza is 19, yet he finds ways to make impact on games in various ways, playing the passing lanes, rebounding, and he is good at finding the open man, he seems to have a very good grasp of the game..Pietrus reacts, like nalod said, he very much reminds me of gerald wilkens....

what exactly does Ariza do offensively that makes him smarter? and he's not the lock down perimeter defender Pietrus is and this team so desperately needs.
EnySpree

3/30/2005  12:18 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by tkf:

what exactly does Ariza do offensively that makes him smarter? and he's not the lock down perimeter defender Pietrus is and this team so desperately needs.

I believe it was TMS that hit it on the head.....it's Ariza's basketball instincts....his feel for the game is what makes Ariza a smarter player. Pietrus is just an athlete that someone just taught how to shoot. He's kind of robotic in that way.
Ariza vs Pietrus Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy