Author Thread
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/30/2005  10:28 PM
There is nothing to reply to.

Learn Something

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/31/2005  7:42 AM
3 years, 5 years... eventually something will give.
Isiah has made what... 7 trades? My beef with him would be not a single one of them has been anything to write home about. The best players he added were MArbury and Crawford. Only problem is the teams he traded with have benefited MUCH more from these trades than the Knicks have.
In fact from a team standpoint its hard to argue the Knicks got the better of ANY trade Isiah has made so far.

The only impressive thing he has done is drafted Ariza. For all we know 1 move out of 8 and thats just pot luck.

What bugs me is that a guy that knows so much about BB and winning could totally overturn a roster and field a team with zero identity and style of play. Thats a valid arguement. All his moves contradict each other. If your going to resign KT than get a team with size that can hammer you on the boards. If your going for guys like Crawford and Ariza then focus on frontcourt players that can run or handle the ball.

Its just as much a hodge podge collection of pieces as Layden put together.

Isiah has made all these moves whats the ONE move I can look at and say "hey... this guy is going to get us going in the right direction."
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/31/2005  9:32 AM
i think that's completely fair fish, though i do think Isiah getting Marbury was a coup for NY in that they got the better players in the trade...the fact that the Suns were able to sign Steve Nash after that deal was made shouldn't factor into the evaluation of that deal when you judge it based on the actual players that were exchanged imho...from what i recall just about every poster on this board w/the exception of a select few who are the usual pessimists were ecstatic when that trade was made...the fact that Isiah hasn't been able to surround Marbury w/ONLY the types of players that are consistent w/that vision of becoming more uptempo to take advantage of Marbury's strengths is a completely valid point & i think it's fair to criticize Isiah on that aspect.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/31/2005  10:18 AM
Wilcox was heralded around here as the next great thing, and he was the one most were yelling abou with the 7th pick. Denver passed on Amare twice!, and took Skita with one of those picks, and camby was practically finished here.

Chaney did over achieve with what he had. Isiah pulled the rug from under him and flat out lied when he told him he was there to "help". He undermined him at every turn, and humiliated him on letterman.

I believe that Laydens team would not be the same right now as it was the moment he left. There are many many things that could have happened. IN a way, Dolan starphucked himself with Isiah and wanted a big splash. I think Isiah took a detour to try to be the miricle man but failed with a gazy group. I think Laydog was on the right track and could have blown it up. Remember he was handed a big damm mess himself. Taking on big contracts as he did, he did with overpriced role players that he either signed or traded for. Isiah has done the same thing with Mo. t, anfernee, TT, Vin, and Craw. Very similar moves thus far. Craw has upside, but so did Eisely and Shandon AT THE TIME.

IM not here to defend Layden, nor bash Isiah, but there are many similarities thus far. The difference, and the reason I believe Isiah was bought in over Layden was Layden lost too much credibilty with stressful trade proposals and the media was jumping on him. He lost cred with the fans, and was an introvert. Isiah has a carasmatic side which covers some lack of substance. I rooted for Laydog to succeed, and I root for Isiah to do the same.

I plead with both to not starphuch!

Big Pimp, nice take man, great effort and great points! To add on some of it, its important that we not just be better than laydens teams, or that herb is better than Lenny. Those were qualified disasters and we are not improving. THis team, this talent is 10 games less in the win colum with 12 to go. Since I doubt we go 10-2 to at least equal it, I would have to say this season was a disaster. Sure Allan would have helped, and Isiah did the right thing by getting Crawford to fill in, but Jamal really never got better. In fact, he verbally says he is lost and does not know what is expected of him. Blame, well its starts at the top, then the coaches, and the players. Injuries happen, and Allan's lack of contribution is no suprise. We went to plan b, but plan b sucked. We blew out Shandon like it was his fault. We are paying his salary and got nothing in return.

Vin was a low price low risk and I think Isiah did a good thing, but it did not work. Obviously, Reezy was a stroke of luck, and not trading KT (YET)was a good thing!

I think we must look at the next two years as a chess game. If we cannot envision the subsequent moves then its foolish to speculate on what we can't even see. We got a tough road ahead, we just can't younger and more atletic than Laydens old teams, but we must get good young players. This is not an easy thing. We think its easy to rid of some players and just bank on potential of some "Name" brand player. But these guys take time, or bust. Even NENE has yet to fully contribute and is playing behind Camby! Wilcox has not lived up to his billing, and for that matter, neither has Yao! In retrospect, I don't know what we were offering the rockets, but the combinations of assets might have yielded them a better return than what Yao has done. Hind sight is great! Lord knows we chuckled about what the suns took from us but they executed a plan and are legit now. ITs about clearing enough space to execute a plan.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/31/2005  10:32 AM
Posted by fishmike:

3 years, 5 years... eventually something will give.
Isiah has made what... 7 trades? My beef with him would be not a single one of them has been anything to write home about. The best players he added were MArbury and Crawford. Only problem is the teams he traded with have benefited MUCH more from these trades than the Knicks have.
That's a MYTH, Fish. Out of the teams Isiah traded with before this year, Houston, Chicago, and Phoenix are better and Milwaukee and Atlanta are worse. It's hard to reach any judgement on 3 out of 5. It's also hard to trace the one move Isiah made with those teams to the change in their performance anyway.
fishmike
USA
3/31/2005  10:46 AM
Nalod... there is clearly a lot of guess work invloved, and this is why Isiah MUST come away with something pretty damn good this offseason. He's made a ton of moves and you could argue the team is in worse shape. We could have been 2 years away from massive cap space and having little but rookie contracts. Instead we have a lot more future money tied in players that arent winning us anymore games and arent exactly loaded with upside.

Isiah definatly gets more time... he has to and he's drafted very well in the past so I have hope and high expectations. Still you would have hoped if he made this many moves at least one would leave you impressed. I would say MArbury was a good trade, but when Pho also accomplished their goals it was clearly mutual.

The Nets getting VC for scrubs was impressive. Even GS getting Baron for scrubs was impressive.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/31/2005  11:08 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Nalod... there is clearly a lot of guess work invloved, and this is why Isiah MUST come away with something pretty damn good this offseason. He's made a ton of moves and you could argue the team is in worse shape. We could have been 2 years away from massive cap space and having little but rookie contracts. Instead we have a lot more future money tied in players that arent winning us anymore games and arent exactly loaded with upside.

Isiah definatly gets more time... he has to and he's drafted very well in the past so I have hope and high expectations. Still you would have hoped if he made this many moves at least one would leave you impressed. I would say MArbury was a good trade, but when Pho also accomplished their goals it was clearly mutual.

The Nets getting VC for scrubs was impressive. Even GS getting Baron for scrubs was impressive.

Having cap flexiblity is IMPRESSIVE!
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/31/2005  12:03 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by fishmike:

Having cap flexiblity is IMPRESSIVE!

The Jazz have a worst record than the Knicks right now. And has what will probably be a Hall of Fame coach on the sidelines. Getting under the cap is overrated. Every single expert last season said them and Denver had the best off seasons. That sounds funny now. Denver was headed to the lottery until a coaching change was made, too. And Utah will have a better shot at getting Bogut than the Knicks.

[Edited by - Pharzeone on 03/31/2005 12:03:52]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
TMS
USA
3/31/2005  12:05 PM
not for nothing, but i have a feeling Utah will be a much better team than the Knicks in a much shorter time frame...they have cap flexibility, they have talented young players, they have a HOF coach, & they have good trade assets.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
3/31/2005  12:44 PM
Utah is in a better position then the knicks right now, because they have young players, boozer, ak47, synder, and have a great coach, and they are at a disadvantage because they play in Utah.....

Getting under the cap is not overrated if the Knicks were in the same position they would have not the player they wanted simply because of the market......

Utah is going to make a trade very soon, because AK47 is a power foward, and they will get some return on boozer to go along with a top 4 pick....

What this team needs to do is fire Isiah Thomas and hand the reigns over to Phil Jackson, but Marbury whould pull a steve francis, which might be good because we could start making trades......

Baron is a better PG than Marbury, he produces wins, Vince produces wins, and we could have had both.....and Zeke gave up our pick which could have netted us al jefferson, josh or jr smith.....

But this offseason is crucial if we add jackson, get houston healthy, have a good draft, see what is out there for sweetney and crawford we could be in nice shape......
Pharzeone
3/31/2005  12:49 PM
Posted by TMS:

not for nothing, but i have a feeling Utah will be a much better team than the Knicks in a much shorter time frame...they have cap flexibility, they have talented young players, they have a HOF coach, & they have good trade assets.
How do you figure that. They have one guy who will be a superstar. I am not that big of a fan of Boozer, and when he and Okur is your off season main pickups. I don't think that is anything superior to what the Knicks have. And I also question those trade assets. But saying all that. Shouldn't they be making progress? They actually regress this past season after their free agent signings and all. I see Utah in worst shape then before and I blame their fascination in making free agent signings just because they were under the cap.
Pharzeone
3/31/2005  1:00 PM
Posted by MS:

Utah is in a better position then the knicks right now, because they have young players, boozer, ak47, synder, and have a great coach, and they are at a disadvantage because they play in Utah.....

Getting under the cap is not overrated if the Knicks were in the same position they would have not the player they wanted simply because of the market......

Utah is going to make a trade very soon, because AK47 is a power foward, and they will get some return on boozer to go along with a top 4 pick....

What this team needs to do is fire Isiah Thomas and hand the reigns over to Phil Jackson, but Marbury whould pull a steve francis, which might be good because we could start making trades......

Baron is a better PG than Marbury, he produces wins, Vince produces wins, and we could have had both.....and Zeke gave up our pick which could have netted us al jefferson, josh or jr smith.....

But this offseason is crucial if we add jackson, get houston healthy, have a good draft, see what is out there for sweetney and crawford we could be in nice shape......

Wow. First explain to me how they are better off if they have a worst record. They tried hard to find a real taker for Boozer but GMs ain't stupid either and know that they overpaid for him, at this point I expect Trevor to have a bigger NBA career than Synder. Second explain to me how Baron and Vince produce wins, when the Hornets, Warriors, Raptors, and Nets will be competing with the Knicks for lottery balls. LOL, and both those guys each help 2 teams get into the lottery, while Marbury is only responsible for 1. Third and finally, Phil Jackson doesn't know anything about player evaluation. He knows how to coach and that's it. Phil Jackson can think the Jerrys in Chicago and LA for putting together teams for him to win.
MS
3/31/2005  1:08 PM
Evaluation, Isiah knows nothing about that, don't bring up trevor or tracy......he brought in losers like TT, Mo Taylor, Crawford, Wilkens, so he is a little thing.....

Baron Davis got the Hornets to the playoffs on a consistent basis, and when Mash went out he tore up the league....Golden State is playing abouve 500 ball since he got there

Vince has carried the Nets to a pile of victories, he has no sf,pf, or center, which makes it tough to win, and kidd was missing half the season and they were already burried when he got there......

And by the way Doc Rivers was a lay-up for head coach...but we chose to bring in a coach right away for buzz factor.....

Utah will find takers for Boozer, he rebounds like an animal and was hurt most of the year, AK47 missed half the year and is a better player than Marbury because he does everything well including defense
MS
3/31/2005  1:16 PM
Davis 9-7

Carter 26-23
fishmike
USA
3/31/2005  1:17 PM
Utah has 3 frontcourt players better than any one of ours. Matt Harpring is a great shooter and tougher than anyone we have on the permiter. Utah doesnt have one singe bad contract on their roster. They have a HOF coach. They have a high #1 and other picks they aquired as well. Its just silly to compare situations
Pharzeone
3/31/2005  1:27 PM
Posted by MS:

Evaluation, Isiah knows nothing about that, don't bring up trevor or tracy......he brought in losers like TT, Mo Taylor, Crawford, Wilkens, so he is a little thing.....

Baron Davis got the Hornets to the playoffs on a consistent basis, and when Mash went out he tore up the league....Golden State is playing abouve 500 ball since he got there

Vince has carried the Nets to a pile of victories, he has no sf,pf, or center, which makes it tough to win, and kidd was missing half the season and they were already burried when he got there......

And by the way Doc Rivers was a lay-up for head coach...but we chose to bring in a coach right away for buzz factor.....

Utah will find takers for Boozer, he rebounds like an animal and was hurt most of the year, AK47 missed half the year and is a better player than Marbury because he does everything well including defense

All I know is that Davis and Vince, the man who told the world that he doesn't bring it every night, will not be on a playoff roster. I am a little confuse why I can't bring up players like Trevor or Tracy but you said it. And what's this, everyone else but the Knicks can use injury as a factor to why they are not winning. Boozer is hurt, Kirilenko is hurt, so it is understandable why the Jazz didn't win. Doesn't sound quite fair but ok. I guess TT gets no love despite the fact he was hurt alot this season. ok. As far as Doc Rivers is concern, I don't see what he could have done that was much different especially after the Magic earned the 1st pick in the lottery. I do remember him as the coach of the Magic at the beginning of last season with T-Mac. Wait Grant Hill was hurt, so they get a pass, too. But hey, you want Isiah gone and you are fair about it, too.
Pharzeone
3/31/2005  1:29 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Utah has 3 frontcourt players better than any one of ours. Matt Harpring is a great shooter and tougher than anyone we have on the permiter. Utah doesnt have one singe bad contract on their roster. They have a HOF coach. They have a high #1 and other picks they aquired as well. Its just silly to compare situations
Fish they have a worst record than the Knicks after having a so call great off season. Why is it silly to compare?
TMS
USA
3/31/2005  1:39 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by fishmike:

Fish they have a worst record than the Knicks after having a so call great off season. Why is it silly to compare?

we're not talking about THIS season dude...we're talking about the future prospects of both teams getting better...Utah is in a much more favorable position to get better quicker than the Knicks are for all the reasons stated above.
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
3/31/2005  1:57 PM
Yo im so tired of ppl saying to fire isiah. why? what has he done so wrong? The knicks have more talent than they had 2 years ago. They have a future. Yall so quick to fire somebody, the guy hasnt been here for 2 years yet. He add money to the salary cap, BIG F'N deal. The knicks were over the cap most of the 90's era and we were an elite team then. If you want us to hire a GM that will throw away 4 seasons to get under the salary cap, your not a knick fan!!! This is the guy that drafted t-mac, camby and damon stoudamire. Give a nucca a chance!!1

---------------
Isiah's the man
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/31/2005  2:02 PM
Posted by Cookdcokehop:

Yo im so tired of ppl saying to fire isiah. why? what has he done so wrong? The knicks have more talent than they had 2 years ago. They have a future. Yall so quick to fire somebody, the guy hasnt been here for 2 years yet. He add money to the salary cap, BIG F'N deal. The knicks were over the cap most of the 90's era and we were an elite team then. If you want us to hire a GM that will throw away 4 seasons to get under the salary cap, your not a knick fan!!! This is the guy that drafted t-mac, camby and damon stoudamire. Give a nucca a chance!!1

---------------
Isiah's the man

this is New York.. one second you are king, but if you mess up just once, BOOM, fans call for your head, ala Ewing.
Aftre all this trade talk, we''l end up trading out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy