[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pitino a possible candidate?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/29/2005  4:00 PM
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050329/COLUMNIST03/503290356/1108/SPORTS01
If Pitino sends out those signals he's famous for sending — he spoke again yesterday about his cherished Knicks memories — he'll end up sky-high on several NBA shopping lists, including Isiah Thomas', right there with Phil Jackson and Larry Brown.

One high-ranking Celtics official is telling friends he fully expects another Pitino fast break to the NBA, the question a matter of when, not if. To appreciate Pitino's competitive fire, and to hear him defend/rationalize his Boston meltdown, is to believe that five Final Fours and a place as college basketball's only three-school semifinalist won't be enough to keep him from bolting a second Kentucky Camelot.

Of course, Pitino should retire at Louisville, co-exist peacefully with his Celtic demons, and forget the pros. He sure doesn't need the money or the aggravation. David Stern's age requirement, due to hit any minute, will force future high school phenoms to spend a little time on campus, alleviating the balloon-deflating anguish Pitino expressed in numerous phone conversations last year while I chronicled his vain courtship of Sebastian Telfair for a book.

Pitino thought he needed the playmaker to get back to the Final Four. Turns out he was as wrong as he's ever been.

Pitino is what he is: one of the great college coaches of all time, and a fabulously rich and famous man who should realize the NBA will always be the players' domain. "If Rick's coming back to the NBA," Thomas said, "this time he has to make sure he has the players. That's my advice to any of these college guys. If you don't have the players, this isn't the place to experiment. This is a players league. You've got to have the horses."

Tim Floyd, John Calipari, Leonard Hamilton, Lon Kruger. They all had it so good in college — the cash, the control, the courtesy cars, the winning big-time programs — until they reached for more and sidetracked their careers. Now Mike Montgomery's in harm's way. Coach K was smart enough to pass on the Lakers' pot of gold, but which path will the bright young likes of Paul Hewitt and Billy Donovan take when the NBA calls?

Thomas is one of many executives scouring the pro and college landscape for the right coach, in the event Herb Williams doesn't merit the long-term shot. Thomas won't rank the college prospects, and he won't say anything about the Louisville coach other than the fact Pitino employs one of his best friends, Vince Taylor, and that he sure knows how to work a whistle.

"Rick is great, one of the smartest in the game," Thomas said. "I played against his Knicks team, and I couldn't believe what he did with Mark Jackson. He had Mark doing things nobody thought he could do, and he had Johnny Newman dunking on people. We were in Detroit saying, 'Who the heck are these guys?' "

They're saying the same thing in Illinois today. The Louisville Cardinals have no true point guard, no size, and no sure NBA star. Their only McDonald's All-American is the 52-year-old quarterback in the thousand-dollar suits.

"It's been a great ride," Pitino said.

As improbable as the ride he took from that Providence Final Four to a job with his hometown Knicks.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/29/2005  6:23 PM
i dont see it, reporters are bogus. He has been such a failure at the nba level, and such a success, even still in college as he goes to the final4. Total BS, just like the idea of phil or larry coming here.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/29/2005  6:59 PM
exactly... what scrub of a coach are we going to be stuck with next year?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/29/2005  7:41 PM
Rick was no failure as a coach. Did a credible job here, and he did not get along with Bianchi the gm at the time.

He is impatient, and thats bad for a GM to be, especially when your the coach too!

Isiah wants to run run run, and rick is a good coach for that.

I would be ok with him. He is a tireless teacher and with the right players could do well! The right players for his game!
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/29/2005  7:47 PM
I made a thread about this the other day:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=8586
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/29/2005  9:37 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:

I made a thread about this the other day:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=8586

sorry dude, i musta missed that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Pitino a possible candidate?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy