We'll play a little game with the draft and the MLE
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/28/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by fishmike:

its a tough one. Our need for a bigman is paramount, but our need for a cant miss player is pretty high too. I'm VERY VERY high on Danny Granger. He's a cant miss senior that does everything. Bonafide NBA body. 19/9 to go with 2 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals. Can play both forward spots. Reminds me of Al Harrington only meaner.

meaner? Like Artest? Haven't seen Granger.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  4:33 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

but what 7Ft+ foreign center other than Yao who was a clear cut #1 pick and Illgaukus & Nene who are good but not great panned out?

Every other one who was drafted is either a stiff like the 7'5 Pavel Podkslin or an okay player like a Nesterovic who we could easily use the MLE on while using our pick to on a real impact star player like a Wade, McGrady, Amare etc. I rather take a chance on a guy like that. Like a Green, mcCants or Taft and then draft one of these big guys to contribute. And if the Knicks feel they are years away then use the MLE on a Center. Or use the MLE on Joel Prysbilla next year.

It can potentially be a lot more rewarding then drafting a bust like Tskisivili, Alejandro Radoslavic, Pavel and giving the MLE to a marginal player like Simmons. i rather take my chances on finding Wade, McGrady, Amare player, pierce like player.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 15:47:55]

when you say skita or pavel, there is no body of work that we can look at--i never found it--still mark eaton was a 7-4 auto mechanic and he became a dam good basketball player right? you just cant teach size

what stuck out about Martynas, to me was the rebounding stat. notice, many 7 footers cannot rebound well,simply because they cant move well, some can, but some cant. this guy was the leading rebounder by a wide margin and averaged 4 block shots. and look at the cats he was playing against--all high caliber euro prospects yes its the hS level, but nonetheless its very impressive.

someone said joel pryzbila, I ll tell you what, Milwaukee shouldve waited that out soem more, they only WISH they had him back.
RIP Crushalot😞
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/28/2005  4:33 PM
It was said that Grangers stats are inflated because of lack ot comp. He also has been injury prone his first 3 yrs of college. And that he would be a role player in the NBA.

That was his weaknesses. His strengths made him seem like a superstar though.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/28/2005  4:47 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:

but what 7Ft+ foreign center other than Yao who was a clear cut #1 pick and Illgaukus & Nene who are good but not great panned out?

Every other one who was drafted is either a stiff like the 7'5 Pavel Podkslin or an okay player like a Nesterovic who we could easily use the MLE on while using our pick to on a real impact star player like a Wade, McGrady, Amare etc. I rather take a chance on a guy like that. Like a Green, mcCants or Taft and then draft one of these big guys to contribute. And if the Knicks feel they are years away then use the MLE on a Center. Or use the MLE on Joel Prysbilla next year.

It can potentially be a lot more rewarding then drafting a bust like Tskisivili, Alejandro Radoslavic, Pavel and giving the MLE to a marginal player like Simmons. i rather take my chances on finding Wade, McGrady, Amare player, pierce like player.

when you say skita or pavel, there is no body of work that we can look at--i never found it--still mark eaton was a 7-4 auto mechanic and he became a dam good basketball player right? you just cant teach size

what stuck out about Martynas, to me was the rebounding stat. notice, many 7 footers cannot rebound well,simply because they cant move well, some can, but some cant. this guy was the leading rebounder by a wide margin and averaged 4 block shots. and look at the cats he was playing against--all high caliber euro prospects yes its the hS level, but nonetheless its very impressive.

someone said joel pryzbila, I ll tell you what, Milwaukee shouldve waited that out soem more, they only WISH they had him back.

thats exactly my concern. he's doing it against much softer players than the players in the NBA. In a league where a lot of its best players can't even make it in the CBA. I have no problem finding a Nenad Kristic type but not with our lottery pick. The chances are too slim to none to take the risk. If Martynas was so good they would've been talking about him like they were talking about Yao and he would be an instant #1 or 2 pick alongside Bogut.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/28/2005  5:05 PM
I'm not going to even think about taking foreign players until 1. either I see them play on NBATV or until they play against some REAL competition at the NBA pre-draft camp. I was one of the few people who thought this way before this weekend and now after watching Splitter play and realize he's a 7footer who will never even sniff the NBA frontline and this is a guy whom MANY people on this board wanted before this weekend in the lottery. Stats and scouting reports of what they can do overseas mean nothing, to me until you see them play yourself or go up against real NBA-type competition.

With that said and after looking at the picks you have already chosen, I'd go with Rashad McCants, although the only reason I'm taking him there is beacuase I dont think Taft will go in the top5 like you suggested so I'm just playing along. If Taft is available, the Knicks HAVE TO take him.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  5:18 PM
a 7'3 240LBS center will get pounded by nba players and will therefore never see the light of day. Yao is different because he was a prodigy. Martynas is far from one. and Nene was a real psychical specimen which is why I wanted him on the Knicks soooo bad!
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/28/2005  5:25 PM
NYK picks 9th: Hakim Warrick (yes, Taft, Splitter and every other super big is gone.)

NYK picks 28th: Julius Hodge

MLE: Stephen Hunter

Roster:

PG: Marbury, Crawford
SG: Crawford, Hodge
SF: TT, Ariza, Warrick
PF: Sweetney, Warrick, Rose
C: Hunter, KT, JYD

Retire Allan. Shop Penny for anything more useful.
¿ △ ?
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
3/28/2005  5:28 PM
The whole thing is a crap shoot. We can't guarantee that anyone is a lock to be a star (even if they're so called automatic lottery material). No one would have stated that Wade was an automatic lock to be an Allstar before he was drafted. However, he was drafted high and that's because someone in a decision making position thought enough of the physical tools he displayed to make a call. Who that we've seen that will be picked in the first 7 choices in this years draft can we guarantee that they'll become a perenial allstar? Bogut, who else...okay who else that we'd bank the franchise on? Imho, 7'0", 240, 19years old and moving like that.....Shhhhhhhhhhh. It's a no brainer even if he becomes a bust. it's a game, not life and death and if Isiah sinks over this i'm sure he'll still be able to live comfortably. PETRO, do it.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/28/2005  5:29 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

NYK picks 9th: Hakim Warrick (yes, Taft, Splitter and every other super big is gone.)

NYK picks 28th: Julius Hodge

MLE: Stephen Hunter

Roster:

PG: Marbury, Crawford
SG: Crawford, Hodge
SF: TT, Ariza, Warrick
PF: Sweetney, Warrick, Rose
C: Hunter, KT, JYD

Retire Allan. Shop Penny for anything more useful.

Love your pick of Hodge with #28, alot of people forgot about him this year but with his excellent post-season run he's back on the radar to alot of people. Watch out for Ryan Gomes, he will be available at pick #28 as well and he is EXTREMELY underated right now.

Steven Hunter would be great with the midlevel exception, do you think Phoenix will dish out the money to retain him or if they'll drive up the amount the Knicks would have to give him?
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/28/2005  5:34 PM
Posted by JUNKMEIN:

The whole thing is a crap shoot. We can't guarantee that anyone is a lock to be a star (even if they're so called automatic lottery material). No one would have stated that Wade was an automatic lock to be an Allstar before he was drafted. However, he was drafted high and that's because someone in a decision making position thought enough of the physical tools he displayed to make a call. Who that we've seen that will be picked in the first 7 choices in this years draft can we guarantee that they'll become a perenial allstar? Bogut, who else...okay who else that we'd bank the franchise on? Imho, 7'0", 240, 19years old and moving like that.....Shhhhhhhhhhh. It's a no brainer even if he becomes a bust. it's a game, not life and death and if Isiah sinks over this i'm sure he'll still be able to live comfortably. PETRO, do it.

If someone could post a clip of him playing good defense, I'd be SOLD. Otherwise, til then, he's Tim Thomas with a few more inches and a french accent. The most important thing when drafting a big like that is defensive intensity/ability.
¿ △ ?
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
3/28/2005  5:35 PM
Oops, forgot to make a prediction

Petro with number 8 Pick
Granger with number 19 pick from a KT+ 28 pick trade with Denver
Stoudamire with with a purchased 2nd round pick

MLE Steven Hunter
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/28/2005  5:47 PM
i'm not crazy about what i'm reading on that big 19 year old russian C...sounds like a huge project w/no developed offensive game at all...no way do i want to go through 5 years of this guy's learning process while we determine IF he even has the talent to be a bigtime C to begin with...it would take too high a pick to risk on a project like that imho...i would go the safe route & take a Warrick, Simien or whoever this Petro guy is (i've never seen him play so i'll take your guys' word for it that he's the type of athletic freak we need to draft this year)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/28/2005  6:17 PM
#8-Taft--If he slips (if he doesn't, I go with Simien)
#28-Hodge would be nice

MLE Simmons (Hughes!)

There are too many variables to make predictions IMO....I would trade Sweets for an extra pick and Grab Petro or Graham.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/28/2005  6:50 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:

What rules the nBA? What has always ruled the nBA? the BIG man. I think yao is actually a little too big, and this would be the first time I ever made a pick not even seeing the guy, i always like to watch someone or atleast a clip so I get a sense. But to get back to my point, I would bring in mA and look at him very very hard. Bogut was firs found out by his participation in the euro 18> tourney. Of course for a lot of these guys, even Bogut, there is going to be stepping stones. But this guy just dominated against so many so-called future euro 1s. If they brought him in and he glitched, if something was just not right--and wed put him through game type workout, then I would look very closely at moving down for Petro. Its close, but I cant pass on that kid.
Big, little, and everything in between players can rule the NBA. We saw Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Isiah dominate. The Pistons last year didn't have a superstar big either. That already accounts for about half the championship teams over the last 2 decades with their star being either a guard or an SF
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  6:56 PM
as of today, as in before draft camp i will be thrilled with green, mcCants or Taft with our 1st pick. It comes down to who really impresses Isiah in camp.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 19:02:00]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  7:06 PM
here is a list of Martynas's games at the euro 18 championships
vs.
Spain 15 pts 13 rebounds 3 blocks 16 minutes played
Bulgaria 26 points 17 rebounds 2 blocks in 34 minutes
Israel 18 points 15 rebounds 10 blocks in 40 minutes
Turkey 7 points 4 rebounds 3 blocks in 37 minutes
Greece 23 points 18 rebounds 3 blocks 2 steals
Repof Geo 17 points 15 rebounds 3 blocks in 26 minutes

FG% 59% avg 17 points 13.6 rebounds 4 blocks 1.2 assits in 31 minutes

Petro was named 1st team all stars at C with 14 points 10.6 reb 1.4 blocks in 26 minutes including his last game of 24 points 22 rebounds.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  7:11 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

here is a list of Martynas's games at the euro 18 championships
vs.
Spain 15 pts 13 rebounds 3 blocks 16 minutes played
Bulgaria 26 points 17 rebounds 2 blocks in 34 minutes
Israel 18 points 15 rebounds 10 blocks in 40 minutes
Turkey 7 points 4 rebounds 3 blocks in 37 minutes
Greece 23 points 18 rebounds 3 blocks 2 steals
Repof Geo 17 points 15 rebounds 3 blocks in 26 minutes

FG% 59% avg 17 points 13.6 rebounds 4 blocks 1.2 assits in 31 minutes

Petro was named 1st team all stars at C with 14 points 10.6 reb 1.4 blocks in 26 minutes including his last game of 24 points 22 rebounds.

against regects who couldn't make it in the CBA and are playing overseas. Those numbers mean nothing until draft camp.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/28/2005  8:03 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

as of today, as in before draft camp i will be thrilled with green, mcCants or Taft with our 1st pick. It comes down to who really impresses Isiah in camp.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 19:02:00]

This is a deep draft.....I think we will definately get a good player with both picks.....

We have the Isiah factor and he has an eye for talent. That's all you can ask for.

McCants, Green, Taft, Frye, Deron Williams, Dee Brown, you can go on and on...there I don't think you can go wrong with any of these guys.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  8:10 PM
the only time a foreign guy panned out was when Illgaukus was drafted or a clear cut star like Yao or when Nene with his great body. Name me 1 foreign center panned out and wasn't projected to be a lottery pick. Other than Illgaukus who surprised everyone? if they knew about foreigners then Z would've been a lottery pick easily. The fact that Petro is not tells me he's nothing more than an ok player. Why draft an okay player when you can draft a potential star which this team needs in the worst way since Marbury is the only one.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/28/2005  9:39 PM
you can't assume things like this guns...i mean did you ever think Andrei Kirilenko would develop into the impact player that he is when he was drafted? watching Euro games, college games & NBDL games are a good way to judge how fast a player is, how mobile, how athletic, etc., but until we see these guys take on NBA level competition, we can never know for sure just how good they'll really be.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
We'll play a little game with the draft and the MLE

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy