[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We'll play a little game with the draft and the MLE
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  3:32 PM
I'll assume we pick 7 just for kicks and to make it easier, and also assume everyone is in, until they are definitely out---each individual can make the call for their spot and then tell who they want to sign for the MLE[within practical reason]

Lets say the order goes

Charlotte---Marvin Williams JR
Atlanta---Andrew Bogut
Golden State---Chris Taft
New Orleans--Rudy Gay
Utah--Chris Paul
Portland--Gerald Greene
NY- My pick would be the Lituanian C and the reasoning. While this is a huge risk pick, the odds of getting a dominanat 7 foot+ C is just to great to pass up. Clearly he is a more skilled player than Petro and from what I can perceive, he sounds like a a Pau Gasol/ type C, but bigger than gasol--perhaps he is a PF/C but he is a legit 7-2 1/2 and the dominance he showed at the 18 euro tourney and reading that he does have quick agile movements and athletic ability--combined with his glaring numbers of blocked shots and rebounding would leave me here. I would also very highly consider trading down for Petro and another pick, but I think when all is said and done, Im sitting with the 7-3 player and willing to wait on him.

MLE-Bobby Simmons--hes a UFA and a big skiled Wing Guard who can pass rebound shoot drive and defend with size. there is two school of thought--being patient and letting thinsg shakeout to see what is left, but I think it might be a poor strategy this year, UNLESS Bobby didnt take the money on day 1, then I would sit back.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/28/2005  3:44 PM
but what 7Ft+ foreign center other than Yao who was a clear cut #1 pick and Illgaukus & Nene who are good but not great panned out?

Every other one who was drafted is either a stiff like the 7'5 Pavel Podkslin or an okay player like a Nesterovic who we could easily use the MLE on while using our pick to on a real impact star player like a Wade, McGrady, Amare etc. I rather take a chance on a guy like that. Like a Green, mcCants or Taft and then draft one of these big guys to contribute. And if the Knicks feel they are years away then use the MLE on a Center. Or use the MLE on Joel Prysbilla next year.

It can potentially be a lot more rewarding then drafting a bust like Tskisivili, Alejandro Radoslavic, Pavel and giving the MLE to a marginal player like Simmons. i rather take my chances on finding Wade, McGrady, Amare player, pierce like player.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 15:47:55]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/28/2005  3:46 PM
if it's what i want then:

NY Drafts #9 and picks - ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE
MLE - gadz
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/28/2005  3:46 PM
I have no problem taking Martynas (though I don't think he'll be there). This is a guy who outplayed a lot of his contemporaries in the draft camps last year, and is being trained by Sabonis. He's young, big, coordinated and talented. Maybe it'll take a few years, but unless you have the no.1 or 2 pick you have to wait on the big guys.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/28/2005  3:52 PM
there is a huge drop off in talent after the # 6 spot... Rudy Gay said he's probably going back for another year...

if we dont draft top 3 and get Bogut or if we dont draft top 6 and get green, then we are in for a huge drop off . i think Chris Paul is going back to school for another year.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/28/2005  3:52 PM
its a tough one. Our need for a bigman is paramount, but our need for a cant miss player is pretty high too. I'm VERY VERY high on Danny Granger. He's a cant miss senior that does everything. Bonafide NBA body. 19/9 to go with 2 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals. Can play both forward spots. Reminds me of Al Harrington only meaner.

If we are this high on Petro I think we have some options. We could use this year's late #1 or some combination of next year's #1s (or all 3) to move up. We could use Sweetney
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  3:55 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I have no problem taking Martynas (though I don't think he'll be there). This is a guy who outplayed a lot of his contemporaries in the draft camps last year, and is being trained by Sabonis. He's young, big, coordinated and talented. Maybe it'll take a few years, but unless you have the no.1 or 2 pick you have to wait on the big guys.

but what European Center has panned out to be worth taking over a impact sure thing type player? other than the smaller players like dirk, peja and co.

I was the #1 advocator of drafting Nene over Wilcox because I saw him shutdown Tim Duncan in the Olympics. I knew with his body and psychical mentality he was going to be a fine NBA center but which foreign Center selected in the lottery other than him and Yao have panned out???

We really shouldn't waste out lottery pick

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  3:56 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

but what 7Ft+ foreign center other than Yao who was a clear cut #1 pick and Illgaukus & Nene who are good but not great panned out?

Every other one who was drafted is either a stiff like the 7'5 Pavel Podkslin or an okay player like a Nesterovic who we could easily use the MLE on while using our pick to on a real impact star player like a Wade, McGrady, Amare etc. I rather take a chance on a guy like that. Like a Green, mcCants or Taft and then draft one of these big guys to contribute. And if the Knicks feel they are years away then use the MLE on a Center. Or use the MLE on Joel Prysbilla next year.

It can potentially be a lot more rewarding then drafting a bust like Tskisivili, Alejandro Radoslavic, Pavel and giving the MLE to a marginal player like Simmons. i rather take my chances on finding Wade, McGrady, Amare player, pierce like player.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 15:47:55]

What rules the nBA? What has always ruled the nBA? the BIG man. I think yao is actually a little too big, and this would be the first time I ever made a pick not even seeing the guy, i always like to watch someone or atleast a clip so I get a sense. But to get back to my point, I would bring in mA and look at him very very hard. Bogut was firs found out by his participation in the euro 18> tourney. Of course for a lot of these guys, even Bogut, there is going to be stepping stones. But this guy just dominated against so many so-called future euro 1s. If they brought him in and he glitched, if something was just not right--and wed put him through game type workout, then I would look very closely at moving down for Petro. Its close, but I cant pass on that kid.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/28/2005  3:58 PM
Sometimes you have to gamble. I like the pedigree of Martynas. Working with a guy like Sabonis is huge.

fish- I join you on Granger. I have been strongly advocating this guy for a little while here. I think he's much more versatile than Al Harrington. This is a guy who gives you everything...can set up guys, got 2 blocks and steals this year...kind of like a poor man's Marion.

What about Adam Morrison? IF this guy is coming out we have to consider him. An elite shooter who can set guys up? I think this guy is gonna be a player...
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  3:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

its a tough one. Our need for a bigman is paramount, but our need for a cant miss player is pretty high too. I'm VERY VERY high on Danny Granger. He's a cant miss senior that does everything. Bonafide NBA body. 19/9 to go with 2 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals. Can play both forward spots. Reminds me of Al Harrington only meaner.

If we are this high on Petro I think we have some options. We could use this year's late #1 or some combination of next year's #1s (or all 3) to move up. We could use Sweetney

now we're talking. thats what I proposed earlier
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:01 PM
anyone else having a bad feeling about this years draft, like we're going to get hosed or something?

(and no, that feeling is not reflux) anyone else here like Frye, but not in the top 13? Frye at 14 is where i'd place him - same spot as steven hunter I think (hunter went 14 or 15)...
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:02 PM
Who would you guys prefer - Petro or Frye?
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  4:07 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

Who would you guys prefer - Petro or Frye?

wait til draft camp
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:07 PM
watching that petro clip again, it's amazing. he got the ball at almost half court, dribbled took off at the foul line and dunked - rediculous talent, speed, skill, coordination. i'd say take petro in the lotto if green, bogut are not available.
fishmike
USA
3/28/2005  4:10 PM
Petro... rather gamble. Frye reminds me of a Borchardt/Jason Collins type. Good college center, not a good pro
fishmike
USA
3/28/2005  4:11 PM
one thing thats scary about clips like that. If we put together Tim Thomas's best dunks this season you would think we had Lebron James.
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Petro... rather gamble. Frye reminds me of a Borchardt/Jason Collins type. Good college center, not a good pro
Frye reminds me exactly of a Collins, except he's longer and seems like he can block more and be more of a force if involved in the offense.
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  4:15 PM
Posted by fishmike:

i agree but lets wait til draft camp because you can argue that petro is too raw as well. imo neither should be picked in the lottery. I'd much rather go the safer route and trust Isiah's eye for talent and moving up for Petro or take a chance on a Nenad Kristic type center with the later pick.
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:16 PM
Posted by fishmike:

one thing thats scary about clips like that. If we put together Tim Thomas's best dunks this season you would think we had Lebron James.
totally, but the athleticism can not be overlooked or denied. Thomas is just fugazy part of the time. I think Timmy T would thrive with someone like Kidd feeding him and on his case.
Caseloads
3/28/2005  4:21 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/petro_sierra.htm
We'll play a little game with the draft and the MLE

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy