Author Thread
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/28/2005  1:04 PM
Posted by Marv:

TMS,
Fair enough but would you also agree that he's got some pretty serious flaws in his game and it should be taken as a pretty important priority for this franchise to address them and try to fix them?

yes, but that does not make him a bust/mistake.
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/28/2005  1:08 PM
Posted by rvhoss:
Posted by Marv:

TMS,
Fair enough but would you also agree that he's got some pretty serious flaws in his game and it should be taken as a pretty important priority for this franchise to address them and try to fix them?

I agree. But if he continues as he did this season, without significant change or improvemnt, for the rest of his time here I would then consider him one. Does that seem fair?
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/28/2005  1:12 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by rvhoss:
Posted by Marv:

TMS,

I agree. But if he continues as he did this season, without significant change or improvemnt, for the rest of his time here I would then consider him one. Does that seem fair?

Absolutely...and that goes for Ariza and Sweetney as well.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 03/28/2005 13:18:12]
tomverve
Member: #878
3/28/2005  1:19 PM
JC's pass-off-the-backboard-for-a-dunk plays have not been instances of ill-conceived showboating. In both cases this season, he got hung up in the air and his defender rotated to guard the pass, giving him an open lane to make the play. What was he supposed to do, put up a difficult runner? Make a risky pass to well-guarded teammates? Or maybe it'd be more satisfactory if he layed the ball in instead of dunking it? C'mon, gimme a break. Both times, they were just the best play available.

I don't think anyone can be completely satisfied with what Jamal has given us, but clearly he's still a work in progress. Playing under Lenny Wilken's doddering non-tutelage for half a season certainly didn't help. Under Herb, at least JC has reined in his itchy trigger finger a bit, even if his shooting %s are still a problem. Sure, he needs to bulk up a bit, play better D, and develop more of a midragnge/going to the basket game. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect him to improve in these areas, though, given that 1) he's only 25, 2) he hasn't exactly been in great learning environments for most of his NBA career, and 3) even coming into the NBA, he was much rawer than your typical player, picking up ball relatively late in HS and playing only one year in college. Combine improvement in these areas with a bonafide starting 2 so that JC can be a 3rd guard off the bench, and you have to really like what we have here.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/28/2005  1:29 PM
I blame Houston and Lenny Wilkens 150% for this year's disappointing season.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/28/2005  1:31 PM
Posted by tomverve:

JC's pass-off-the-backboard-for-a-dunk plays have not been instances of ill-conceived showboating. In both cases this season, he got hung up in the air and his defender rotated to guard the pass, giving him an open lane to make the play. What was he supposed to do, put up a difficult runner? Make a risky pass to well-guarded teammates? Or maybe it'd be more satisfactory if he layed the ball in instead of dunking it? C'mon, gimme a break. Both times, they were just the best play available.

Anyone that is attempting to give him grief for that play is a stone cold hypocrite...scan the boards and they were applauding the moves like nobody's business.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 03/28/2005 13:31:57]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/28/2005  1:46 PM
Posted by rvhoss:
Posted by tomverve:

Anyone that is attempting to give him grief for that play is a stone cold hypocrite...scan the boards and they were applauding the moves like nobody's business.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 03/28/2005 13:31:57]

I dont have any problem with that because it makes watching exciting. What everyone has a serious problem with his him launching 3's and inability to play Defense.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/28/2005  1:56 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
lets not go overboard there my man. I never said that craw was worth 56mm, actually I thought his *upside* and his primary value to me was @ PG. And I think Im atleast in the ballpark there. He's a bit of a p$$Y, he shies from contact. Did I use the word bust? I think I said right now he's an expensive dissapointment, he's undiscplined and that he needs to get much stronger and hone his skills-mainly his medium range game and to stop the showboating stuff.

and what's wrong with wanting Mike Sweetney as a bench player who gets 24-26 minutes? doesnt it seem like thats his best position? he needs to lose weight as well. if i said lets trade mike sweetney when we had the chance to get Curry, thats darn straight. Mike's a good player and a solid pick that year, but we arent married to him.

I think at this point in the season, its fair to express dissapointment in Crawford and we can see why other teams wouldnt overpay.

well, yes, you did use the term bust in your original post...sorry if i got the wrong impression but i have to go on what you type.

& again, i'm not saying Crawford's been great...like i said before i've criticized him plenty of times for his flaws, but i don't think you can call him a disappointment yet when we took him on knowing he'd be a work in progress to begin with...this season was lost a long time ago...if JC doesn't show any improvement by the Allstar break next season, then maybe i'll join the bandwagon with you...but right now it's way too early to deem him a bust, or even a disappointment considering his age & the numbers he still puts up.

you want to talk disappointments let's talk Tim Thomas.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  2:00 PM
I personally think a full season is enough to gauge that he should not be a starter on this team. Especially since he is almost 26. It's not like he's 20. But I agree there is a slim chance that he will mature since he did start playing bball late. But as of today, at best he should be a combo guard off the bench like Van Exel was in Dallas a few years ago.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/28/2005  2:07 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I personally think a full season is enough to gauge that he should not be a starter on this team. Especially since he is almost 26. It's not like he's 20. But I agree there is a slim chance that he will mature since he did start playing bball late. But as of today, at best he should be a combo guard off the bench like Van Exel was in Dallas a few years ago.

when he was acquired, was it ever mentioned that he would be a starter?

From NYKNICKS.COM when he was acquired:

Crawford, 6-5, 190-pounds, averaged 17.3 points and 5.1 assists in 80 games - including 71 starts - for the Bulls this past season. His 165 three-point field goals in 2003-04 broke the franchise’s record and he was one of just four players last season to record at least 50 points in a single game (50 points, Apr. 11 at Toronto). Originally selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round (eighth overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft and then traded to Chicago on Sep. 25, 2000, the four-year NBA veteran has improved his scoring, rebounding and assist averages in each season.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 03/28/2005 14:09:56]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/28/2005  2:07 PM
I think Crawford has played as expected. This was clearly a long term investment on a 24 year old player who the capacity to get a lot better. He hasn't gotten a lot better this year...he's close to the same player he was last year. But we've seen little improvements in his shot selection and passing ability. It just all has to sink in with him.

At the height of his potential this guy could be an amazing playmaker. I honestly think he has the best ballhandling skills in the league. He does have a nice jumper...but a bad tendency to pull up and shoot off balance. His defense may never be great...he's got a little bit of the Marbury mentality on that end, and unfortuantely doesn't have the physical ability to match up with players at SG. Still he has shown the ability to create turnovers on the defensive end, and might work well in a D that exploits that kind of ability.

Craw and his 56 mil dollar deal need far more than a season to judge. The first few years of his deal are very reasonable...somewhere between 5-7 mil. It's once he gets to year 4-5 or so that he starts making 8 mil plus and needs to start living up to his potential. Those will be his prime years. If he's not a good player by the time he reaches his prime, we know it'll be a mistake.

[Edited by - VDesai on 03/28/2005 14:09:04]
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  2:15 PM
Posted by rvhoss:
Posted by gunsnewing:

when he was acquired, was it ever mentioned that he would be a starter?

then you were fooled into thinking Allan Houston could actually last a full season with the knee problems he refused to correct or might never be correctable. It was 100% obvious to me and a few others that Houston wouldn't last for more than a 15-20 game stretch at some point in the season. Last season made it obvious that doing nothing but resting his knees wasn't going to allow him to play a full-season again when he rested all the way through the playoffs last year when we needed him most against the Nets! That is why Isiah went out looking for a SG and signed Crawford longterm!
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  2:19 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I think Crawford has played as expected. This was clearly a long term investment on a 24 year old player who the capacity to get a lot better. He hasn't gotten a lot better this year...he's close to the same player he was last year. But we've seen little improvements in his shot selection and passing ability. It just all has to sink in with him.

At the height of his potential this guy could be an amazing playmaker. I honestly think he has the best ballhandling skills in the league. He does have a nice jumper...but a bad tendency to pull up and shoot off balance. His defense may never be great...he's got a little bit of the Marbury mentality on that end, and unfortuantely doesn't have the physical ability to match up with players at SG. Still he has shown the ability to create turnovers on the defensive end, and might work well in a D that exploits that kind of ability.

Craw and his 56 mil dollar deal need far more than a season to judge. The first few years of his deal are very reasonable...somewhere between 5-7 mil. It's once he gets to year 4-5 or so that he starts making 8 mil plus and needs to start living up to his potential. Those will be his prime years. If he's not a good player by the time he reaches his prime, we know it'll be a mistake.

[Edited by - VDesai on 03/28/2005 14:09:04]

Great post. I personally think he tries harder on defense than Marbury but at only 180LBS he is always severely overmatched by the opposing SG which is one of the many reasons I rather have him come off the bench as a combo guard. I'm more ok with Marbury's lack of defense because at least he produces consistently offensively.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
3/28/2005  8:28 PM
well... this is certainly a change from BRIGGS's RECENT post this season about how crawford had the makings of an nba superstar, isn't it...
http://allknicks.com
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
3/28/2005  9:01 PM
Posted by teslawlo:

well... this is certainly a change from BRIGGS's RECENT post this season about how crawford had the makings of an nba superstar, isn't it...
The one where he said he wouldn't give up Crawford in a deal to get Vince Carter?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/28/2005  10:21 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

crawford just turned 25 the other day, how is that almost 26? he still has time to mature, I mean look at guys like jason kidd and even steve nash, those guys matured in their later 20's..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  10:28 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by gunsnewing:

crawford just turned 25 the other day, how is that almost 26? he still has time to mature, I mean look at guys like jason kidd and even steve nash, those guys matured in their later 20's..

okay so I was 1 year off! Kidd was co-rookie of the year along with Grant Hill by the way and Nash never chucked 3's 45% of the time and he wasn't given 56mm. Bottomline is by 25 you should be a little more mature than Crawford has been and until he proves himself if he ever does he should be a combo guard off the bench otherwise we're going to keep having 30 win seasons.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 22:36:10]
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
3/28/2005  10:55 PM
I have a lot of hope in crawford... we gave 56 million (about HALF of what we gave h20, which was obviously a mistake) to a 25 year old combo guard who has shown the least he can do is average 18 ppg and hand out a couple of nice assists per game. I think it is a given that by just controlling his game and playing more intelligently, he can be a consistent 20 ppg scorer who can double as a pg as needed.... I can't believe how some of you can say he is a mistake... I think he is one of the brightest spots on this team and is far from a mistake...
http://allknicks.com
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  11:03 PM
neither crawford or marbury play defense. so one of the 2 have to go to the bench for a real SG. you can't win without a perimeter defender in this leage. A Center is not going to block perimeter jumpshots and 3's! thats why we won when we had spree, starks & childs. it wasn't all ewing, oakley and LJ.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
3/29/2005  8:20 AM
Didn't Crawford not start playing basketball until he was in college? He's a very young 25.
Crawford--56mm$mistake?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy