[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pitino/Knicks???
Author Thread
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/27/2005  9:32 PM
Ok, now I don't mean to start anything here but I was reading the New York Post article by Mike Vaccaro about Rick Pitino.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/43288.htm

I've always been a huge Pitino fan, back from his days at Kentucky, since I wasn't quite old enough to know fully what was goin on with the Knicks when Pitino was coaching here and Vaccaro brings up some good points. Rick has always loved and cherished his time coaching the Knicks and I know he just went back to college ball but after a horrible stint with the Celtics. What made his stint with the Celtics so bad was that Rick was playing too much of a role in the organization(he was GM and Coach) which made things 10 times harder for him.

Now heres what I'm dreaming up and yeah I know its probably just that but oh well. Rick hated everything about the NBA except coaching the Knicks, if Dolan was able to pony up enough money to get him to come out of college again, it might be able to be enough to get Rick to come back and coach the Knicks. Pitino never had a problem coaching his Celtics team, he had a problem getting talent in there, if Pitino were given the reins of this team it would be lethal because this Knicks team fits his EXACT run and gun, shoot 3's play trapping defense. He could create schemes for our guards to get beat less on D and so on and so forth. ooohhhh, to dream.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
AUTOADVERT
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/27/2005  9:41 PM
dude, Rick pitino has never won on the professional level.

You thought you made a valid point when you said that he could never get any talent in Boston. i wonder why. cause HE DRAFTED HIS OWN PLAYERS!

Is this what it's all about. making a run at the Final Four and then all of sudden a coach fits the criteria.

Give me Herb

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
nyk4ever
USA
3/27/2005  9:52 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

dude, Rick pitino has never won on the professional level.

You thought you made a valid point when you said that he could never get any talent in Boston. i wonder why. cause HE DRAFTED HIS OWN PLAYERS!

Is this what it's all about. making a run at the Final Four and then all of sudden a coach fits the criteria.

Give me Herb

Actually he's coached in the NBA for 4 seasons, he won 52 games with the Knicks in 1989. He deserves more of a chance then that. By the way your argument about the players isn't valid becuase he's the one that drafted Chauncey Billups, Paul Pierce and Ron Mercer who played well under Pitino and for the Bulls and Nuggets. He wasn't given a fair chance in Boston, I dont think.

And by the way, Pitino has won more championships albeit at the college level then most of the coaching candidates out there except Phil Jackson. Rick has been in the final four 5 times as well, so don't give me that garbage about making one run at the final four. He's a proven outstanding basketball coach.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 03/27/2005 21:55:00]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/27/2005  10:02 PM
Pitino getting them to trap all the time would really make up for our lack of defense. I thought he would've been a great coach for us earlier in the season but then Phil Jackson's name surfaced and I kinda forgot about him but he's certainly a candidate if he wants to coach the Knicks!
bigpimpin
USA
3/27/2005  10:11 PM
okay then if he is an outstanding coach why where you making excuses for him when you sarted this thread

first you say he couldn't get talent in Boston now you come back giving me talented players he drafted wile he was in Boston. so which is it? Could he or could he not get talent

yeah i remember when he won 59 games but i also remember when he was FIRED by the Knicks AND the celtics

then you say his job was 10 times harder. dude guess what. Pitino wouldn't coach the Celtics unless they made him both GM and head coach so what are you really saying

then you come with his NCAA record. But that is my point. He is a COLLEGE coach not an NBA coach. my high school coach won 8 State titles in a row, Do you think the Knicks should hire him?

hahahahahahahaha.
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/27/2005  10:23 PM
well no matter how you slice it he did draft those players.so give him some credit. between him and zeke we'd have a great scouting department but i think I would still rather have Herb since he has them playing like a team but only if his friend sKurt Thomas is traded because this team will never go anywhere with sKurt as a starter!
nyk4ever
USA
3/27/2005  10:26 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

okay then if he is an outstanding coach why where you making excuses for him when you sarted this thread

first you say he couldn't get talent in Boston now you come back giving me talented players he drafted wile he was in Boston. so which is it? Could he or could he not get talent

yeah i remember when he won 59 games but i also remember when he was FIRED by the Knicks AND the celtics

then you say his job was 10 times harder. dude guess what. Pitino wouldn't coach the Celtics unless they made him both GM and head coach so what are you really saying

then you come with his NCAA record. But that is my point. He is a COLLEGE coach not an NBA coach. my high school coach won 8 State titles in a row, Do you think the Knicks should hire him?

hahahahahahahaha.

Talk about immaturity here, but I will respond anyway. First off Pitino quit both the Celtics and KNICKS he wasn't fired, like you say, atleast get your facts straight if your going to pretend to act like a tough guy.

Second off, I wasn't making excuses for Pitino with the Celtics, its just known that its extremely hard to play both roles in the organization and be good at it, Pat Riley and Greg Popovich are exceptions to the rule, I'd give Rick that same chance again in the NBA. I believe if Pitino were just coaching in the NBA, he'd be excellent. He got talented players in Boston, maybe I should have been more clear and stated through the draft.

It's clear Pitino drafted smartly, Paul Piece is an All-Star, Ron Mercer was an excellent player in the NBA for his first 5 years and Chaunce Billups after floundering around finally flourished into what everyone knew he could be.

So college records mean absolutely nothing? No college coach should ever be given a chance in the NBA becuase his college records are just that? Rick won in the NBA, he did it with the Knicks, winning 52 games just doesn't happen. And waht is this about a black coach? Where did that come from.
bigpimpin
USA
3/27/2005  10:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/28/sports/ncaabasketball/28louisville.html

read this article then email the New York timesan tell them that Pitino wasn't fired as they stated.

"College basketball is where I really belong," Pitino said.

then email Rick and tell him that he is a liar

Rick Pitino gave travis Knight 22 million for crying out loud.

Nevermind, I'm going to bed.

Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/27/2005  10:54 PM
If Pitino returns to the NBA it will be to coach a team that is ready to win.
CaZeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #845
3/27/2005  10:55 PM
Without getting too involved, I just wanted to add that I was joking with my friend that we should get Rick Pitino to coach the Knicks back when Lenny was still the coach. It was a joke because we couldn't understand why he'd want to leave Louisville, where he's built one of the best college basketball programs in the country. This article didn't really explain much.. don't really think he wants to leave, but if he does, I'd take him in a second. HE's smart, he's intense, and he's good with young guys.. which is just what we need. That's my opinion at least.
nyk4ever
USA
3/27/2005  10:59 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/28/sports/ncaabasketball/28louisville.html

read this article then email the New York timesan tell them that Pitino wasn't fired as they stated.

"College basketball is where I really belong," Pitino said.

then email Rick and tell him that he is a liar

Rick Pitino gave travis Knight 22 million for crying out loud.

Nevermind, I'm going to bed.

From Knicks.com
http://www.nba.com/knicks/history/new_knicks_history.html
"The 1989-90 Knicks had a slight relapse. Rick Pitino departed to take the coaching reins at the University of Kentucky." Not my fault the Times doesn't do their research.

So now your argument is Pitino gave Travis Knight 22 million dollars? So what, every gm has made bad moves Rod Thorn gave Alonzo Mournin 20 million and he's always regarded as a top executive. I don't see the Travis Knight part meaning anything.
nyk4ever
USA
3/27/2005  11:01 PM
Posted by CaZeek:

Without getting too involved, I just wanted to add that I was joking with my friend that we should get Rick Pitino to coach the Knicks back when Lenny was still the coach. It was a joke because we couldn't understand why he'd want to leave Louisville, where he's built one of the best college basketball programs in the country. This article didn't really explain much.. don't really think he wants to leave, but if he does, I'd take him in a second. HE's smart, he's intense, and he's good with young guys.. which is just what we need. That's my opinion at least.

I agree Cazeek, the incentive for Rick right now to leave Louisville isn't too high as he has totally revamped the program and the have EXCELLENT recruits coming in. The only reason I even thought about this was becuase of the Post article, I just hope that money will talk here.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/28/2005  9:43 AM
Ah, Ricky P. The bastard son of Larry Brown. Mr. Mania, Intensity and Ego. And I say this with affection - I love the guy. Only Ricky and Larry could blow themselves up so many times and keep resurrecting themsleves.

I loved Rick as the coach of the Knicks. He did maybe the geatest thing I've ever seen an NBA coach do during a game. Sidney Green (one of my all-time favorite Knicks) was having an absolute meltdown on the court - it seriously looked like he was going to go Artest on the court. Rick pulled him from the game, motioned for him to come over to him. Sidney blew him off and went stormin' to the last seat on the bench, giving off psychotic rage kind of heat. The other Knicks moved away from him and wouldn't even look at him. Rick walks all the way down to the end of the bench and crouches down next to him. I'm thinking, Holy F, what's gonna happen now. Unbelievably, Rick puts his face right up next to him, and then talks to him for the next several minutes. I mean minutes, he just blows off the game, stops coaching and talks Sidney through the whole thing. It was the greatest piece of coaching I've ever seen in my life and tells the whole story of Ricky P. - he is the epitome of a people person. He's pure magnetic charm and hands-on coaching; that's why guys always play so hard for him.

Now the Boston thing - that was indeed a total disaster. I agree that giving him the GM role as well as coach was a big mistake. Of course we all know what finished him off there - he was so sure he was going to get Duncan and when they got the #3 instead of the 1, he never recovered. He drafted Chauncey with the 3 and ignored what everyone else saw - this kid was years away from being an NBA starting point guard. Rick punished him for not being Duncan - put him out there with unrealistic expectations and then traded him real quickly. He picked Mercer with a nice deke, made everyone think he wasn't going to take him, then ended up making a stupid trade to get rid of him too. He really shouldn't get any credit for drafting Pierce, the guy had fallen to what, the 10th spot, that was total luck that he fell and a no-brainer to take him.

As for the present, would Rick return to a team he's already coached? Would he come back to the NBA with basically a demoted role of coach only after being coach and GM? I doubt it. Would it be a good move for the Knicks if he would? Hell yeah!!!
Pitino/Knicks???

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy