[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

look at this jamal stat
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/27/2005  9:00 PM
he's taken 854 shots this season and 386 of them have been 3 pointers.

that's 45% of his shots!!!!!

dag, for a guy with a sick handle, that's not good. he needs to chill with that.
AUTOADVERT
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/27/2005  9:20 PM
why?
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/27/2005  9:22 PM
I agree he needs to drive more, but it's hard to judge that # without some kind of comparison to other SGs.

One that really strikes me is Q-Rich: 557 3s and 360 2s (58% 3s)
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/27/2005  9:23 PM
Yeah man, I've been saying that for about 2 months now that almost 50% of his shots are 3 pointers. The reason its bad bigpimpin is because he shoots 3's at 36% clip, which is terrible, especially when almost your shots are coming from that. I'm really wondering when and if Jamal will ever learn shot selection, I think Isiah being on the floor coaching them would Craw and Steph a TON but I dont like the idea of Isiah coaching this team.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Bonn1997
USA
3/27/2005  9:27 PM
Does shooting 36% 3s really hurt the team? Statistically, it's the same as shooting 54% 2s.
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/27/2005  9:38 PM
i asked why because i only wanted him to give details, expand on what he was saying, tell us why it hurts the team in his opinion, etc

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
3/27/2005  10:55 PM
Well, when somebody with a sick handle and an ability to pass that we have seen from him on many an ocasion limits his game to a total chucker, and that is what it means you are if you are shooting that many 3's, it is kinda upsetting.

He could be breakin down the defense and gettin or bigs the kind of shots that have a 90% of going in (yes I'm accounting for our awesome front court missing layups ).

I mean I don't get it how this is an agrument, nobody should be takin these many 3's, and he does not even shoot them that great, its a solid perecntage, but its just not enough to be such a chucker.

We all hate Walker, but his shot selection is reminscent of Craw.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/27/2005  11:18 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Does shooting 36% 3s really hurt the team? Statistically, it's the same as shooting 54% 2s.

this is just bad bonn - you're parodying yourself. how can you sit there and write that trying to DEFEND it?

if half your shots are 3 pointers and you're not a high percentage jumpshooter, then it's bad shooting.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/27/2005  11:26 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

You've just taken your non-sensical rationalization to a whole new level. Congrats.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/27/2005  11:42 PM
36% in 3point shooting isn't horrible its average. Shooting 386 3s at 36% is whats bad.

But you also have to take into account all the last second shots in the shot clock and half court heaves throughout the whole season. What Crawford needs is a better mid range game. Thats the type of style he is built for. He should get credit for upping his assist average to 5.5 after the alstar break. But he needs to get more consistantcy on his jumper. He has missed a lot of open looks from 3.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/27/2005  11:44 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

this is just bad bonn - you're parodying yourself. how can you sit there and write that trying to DEFEND it?

if half your shots are 3 pointers and you're not a high percentage jumpshooter, then it's bad shooting.

actually, bonn is right. look up this thing called adjusted field goal percentage. its an official stat kept by the NBA and ESPN. if Craw hits 36% of his 3 pt shots, he'd have to hit 54% on the same number of 2 pt shots to score the same amount of pts.

With Craw shooting 36% from three, which is above the league average, I'd say he's doing fine. I wish he would take less low percentage fall-away 18footers, but I'm fine with the 3s.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
3/28/2005  12:27 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

actually, bonn is right. look up this thing called adjusted field goal percentage. its an official stat kept by the NBA and ESPN. if Craw hits 36% of his 3 pt shots, he'd have to hit 54% on the same number of 2 pt shots to score the same amount of pts.

With Craw shooting 36% from three, which is above the league average, I'd say he's doing fine. I wish he would take less low percentage fall-away 18footers, but I'm fine with the 3s.
It's really not that complicated. Of course I want him to drive to the basket more. My only point was that 36% shooting from 3 pt range doesn't hurt the team. Other things Crawford does do hurt the team, though. (And some other things he does help the team as well)
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
3/28/2005  12:30 AM
looks like tt postings are on a hold.....let the craw postings fly
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/28/2005  12:44 AM
Posted by Bobby:

looks like tt postings are on a hold.....let the craw postings fly

well I;ve been on crawford for a very long time now. our lack of perimeter defense has been a problem all year and his decision making hasnt progressed as well as I hope it would've by the end of the season
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/30/2005  2:46 PM
36% from 3 point land is actually a good %. Crawford is a pretty darn good spot up shooter if he's given room. But this is the problem. He's not Reggie Miller or Ray Allen or Allan Houston or Peja or Michael Redd, b/c he can't hit these shots with people smothering him, yet he takes A LOT and I mean A LOT of them. That is what hurts the team, and that is something that the statistics cannot locate. This is called poor shot selection. Jamal has taken poor shot selection to a whole new universe, but I am still faithful that he will be able to work on this.

His defense is what he REALLY needs to work on, just like Steph.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/30/2005  2:52 PM
Craw is not a bad shooter, he just doesn't know the difference between 3s and 2s.....he needs to be rescended from shooting from long range. I don't care how many of them that he makes, but the head-coach needs to simply forbiden this kid from shooting the 3s until he learns when to shoot and how many to shoot. However, that will not help until guys like Marburry learns to give good advise. How in the world he is going to ask Jamal to shoot the ball when in doubt????????
The true Knickabocker..........
SkyWalker
Member: #814
3/30/2005  3:05 PM
Crawford needs to hit the weight room and show a real commitment to adding a little bulk. I was a great shooter freshman and soph yr in highschool but the coaches kept telling me I needed to get stronger so I started doing a lot more pushups and hit the weight room. I was very nervous at first because I though it would affect my shot and I was devastated when it was difficult at first to shoot the same as before but it all came down to my desire to get back to that high shooting level through practice. And believe it or not I did and not only that but my junior year I dominated varsity because I was able to take it strong to the hole and I wasn;t scared of contact. I think part of the problem is that Crawford is weak right now compared to other players and in his mind he doesn't want to take it strong.
Kenny SkyWalker
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2005  3:14 PM
Posted by SkyWalker:

Crawford needs to hit the weight room and show a real commitment to adding a little bulk. I was a great shooter freshman and soph yr in highschool but the coaches kept telling me I needed to get stronger so I started doing a lot more pushups and hit the weight room. I was very nervous at first because I though it would affect my shot and I was devastated when it was difficult at first to shoot the same as before but it all came down to my desire to get back to that high shooting level through practice. And believe it or not I did and not only that but my junior year I dominated varsity because I was able to take it strong to the hole and I wasn;t scared of contact. I think part of the problem is that Crawford is weak right now compared to other players and in his mind he doesn't want to take it strong.

nice post! great example! its not that he doesn't want to go inside. its that he can't! he'll get clobbered inside! so yeah crawford's conditioning is another serious offseason priority!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/30/2005  3:24 PM
Crawf is not smaller than RIP Hamilton.....
The true Knickabocker..........
Stevo718
Member: #559
3/30/2005  3:27 PM
Shooting 36% from the 3 point line DOES HURT when you only shoot 39% within the 3 point line.

So as Bonn1997 infamously put it:

No definitely not if it goes with 44% shooting from within. And on top of that if you are only attempting one free throw every 13 minutes that doesn't help at all either.

If JC took less 3 pointers and took more midrange jumpers or drives to the basket he could maintain his 3 point average while raising his field goal average. This is his third year with bad field goal average, his first 2 years his averages were a lot better in limited minutes, starting his career in CHI was really bad for him becuase no one was there to direct him. SO when his minutes opened up his third year in the league in CHI with everyone else being a rookie he just started hoisting shots. When you are a rookie and you don't know what to do, you can do one of two things, shoot or pass, doesn't mean your any worse of a player if you choose to shoot first, because some players are more agrresive then others, thats why I want to keep Crawford cause I think with the proper tutorage he can become a star.
look at this jamal stat

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy