[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Whole Lot Of Insider News!!!
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/28/2002  11:58 AM
Insider has a ton of good info, I will be posting each sections in replies to this header:
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
USA
3/28/2002  12:01 PM
Summer trading block begins to fill up

Some teams build via the draft. Other teams build through free agency. And others, like the Nuggets right before the trade deadline, build by subtraction. It's the old Vietnam strategy -- destroying the city to save it.

With the season beginning to wind down for half of the league, we're getting our first good glimpse at who does and doesn't fit into the long-range plans of teams struggling to climb out of the cellar.

Of the 13 teams with losing records, almost all have players they'll try to ship out this summer. For more successful teams looking for that missing piece, could any of these guys fit the bill?

Here's an early sneak peek at who could be on the trading block this summer in the East. Big names with big games, from Andre Miller to Glenn Robinson, could be wearing new jerseys next season.

Friday we'll tackle the Western Conference.

Heat -- Pat Riley's plan is to try to lure a couple of top-flight free agents during the summer of 2003. To clear enough cap space, he's going to have to push this summer to move either Brian Grant or Eddie Jones. Both players have been a disappointment in Miami. Grant has seemed lost since Alonzo Mourning returned from his illness late last season. Jones has shown flashes of the player he was in L.A. and Charlotte, but isn't the long-range bomber nor the uber athletic, rangy small forward who Riley's always coveted. If Riley can find a way to swap one of those two for a top draft pick or a guy like Lamar Odom or Keon Clark, they're gone. On the flip side, given Grant's and Jones's huge contracts, moving them won't be easy.

Knicks -- GM Scott Layden will be working the phones again this summer to see if there is any interest in Allan Houston, Marcus Camby or Latrell Sprewell. With Houston's huge deal, Camby's history of injuries and with Spree being a fan favorite, don't expect Layden to have a lot of luck. Instead, his most tradeable asset at the moment may be Kurt Thomas, who has been putting up double doubles the last month. Thomas has just two years, at around $5 million per, remaining on his contract.

Cavs -- This team has major issues, and most of them surround what to do with point guard Andre Miller this summer. Yes, the Cavs realize that Miller may be the best point guard in the game. But, Miller alone can't turn around the Cavs' fortunes. With a series of draft blunders, salary-cap problems and a roster full of medical marvels, the Cavs might need to seriously consider shipping Miller out in return for a couple of young, athletic impact players. Impossible you say? That's what everyone said about those Jason Kidd trade rumors last spring. A more modest course would be to see what they could get for Chris Mihm or Wesley Person. Stop laughing.

Bulls -- They have too many young projects and will have another lottery pick to boot this summer. Don't be surprised to see the Bulls package their No. 1 (unless they have the top pick in the draft and a shot at Duke's Jason Williams, then all bets are off) and either Marcus Fizer or Jamal Crawford (or both) for a veteran All-Star to give Jalen Rose some help. The way Jerry Krause is talking, he thinks the Bulls are going to make a big upgrade this summer.

Raptors -- They need to get more scoring help for Vince Carter. They'd love to move Alvin Williams or Hakeem Olajuwon, but more realistically, they may have to part ways with either Antonio Davis (if they can find any takers for his huge deal) or Jerome Williams to get any value in return.

Wizards -- Whether Michael Jordan comes back or not, they'll be some house cleaning this summer in Washington. Jordan has a great handle on who can and who can't help this team. Christian Laettner, Courtney Alexander and Hubert Davis will be shopped.

Bucks -- If the team falters in the playoffs, expect major changes to take place this summer. Coach George Karl's primary target is Glenn Robinson. But Anthony Mason, Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson aren't safe either. If GM Ernie Grunfeld doesn't clean house a bit, it might be Karl who walks out that door.

Celtics -- The team needs to find a way to get under the luxury tax threshold and re-sign Rodney Rogers this summer. That means the Celtics need to find a taker for one of their bigger salaries. Given Kenny Anderson's strong play this year and his favorable contract (only one year left), has his value ever been higher?

Nets -- The team has to figure out a way this summer to convince Jason Kidd to re-sign when he becomes a free agent in the summer of 2003. Expect them to use Keith Van Horn as trade bait to lure a more athletic small forward to Jersey.

Sixers -- If Larry Brown is around, you know there'll be at least one or two trades. The Sixers continue to get interest in Eric Snow. With the Hawks and Pistons in desperate need of a point guard, would a draft pick, or a young prospect like DerMarr Johnson or Rodney White convince Brown to part with the Sixers' floor leader?

Hornets -- They like their team, but wouldn't mind swapping owners George Shinn and Ray Wooldridge for a pack of Tic-Tacs.
#Knickstaps
BigSm00th
USA
3/28/2002  12:02 PM
Draft Class of 2000 starting to come on

What was dubbed at the end of last year as a draft-class bust, the Class of 2000 is starting to come along in year two.

We all knew about lottery picks Kenyon Martin and Mike Miller, who had stellar rookie seasons. But after that it was slim pickings. This year several picks have really picked up their games.

Although these guys aren't putting up All-Star numbers, several are becoming solid contributors in the 20 or so minutes they're getting every night.

Leading the way is the Clippers' Quentin Richardson and the Sonics' Desmond Mason, both legitimate contenders for this year's Sixth Man Award. Mason is averaging 13.7 ppg and 4.2 rpg in March. Richardson is averaging 13.8 ppg and 4.3 rpg for the season. Both were steals as the 17th and 18th picks in the draft. Richardson's teammate, Darius Miles, may very well end up as the best player in the draft.

Not far behind them is the 16th pick, the Kings' Hidayet Turkoglu, who's been averaging 11.1 ppg and 4.9 rpg in March. And the Bucks' Michael Redd, a real steal at 43, is averaging 12.5 ppg and 4.2 rpg in March. Stromile Swift has increased his average to 11.3 ppg and 6 rpg in 25 minutes per game. The Bulls' Marcus Fizer is also seeing more time lately and has responded with 13.9 ppg and 6.7 rpg in March.

They aren't the only ones.

The Arizona Republic takes a look at Suns center Jake Tsakalidis, whose 23 points and nine rebounds against the Cavs earlier this week is commendable. But scoring 19 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and limiting Shaquille O'Neal of the Lakers to 24 points and 11 rebounds Wednesday night was down right impressive.

"I'm not going to wake him up," Penny Hardaway said. "I'm not going to pinch him. I'm not even going to talk to him. Whatever he's doing, he needs to keep doing it. Whatever he's eating, he needs to keep eating it."

In Atlanta, DerMarr Johnson is starting to figure things out. In March, he has increased his production to 9.9 ppg and 4.2 rpg. The Hawks expect much more next year.

"When we go back and look at the players that were available at sixth, we would still take DerMarr," GM Pete Babcock told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "When you draft a young player, you have to be patient. We all say that up front, but then everybody wants [rapid development] in six months, and it is not going to happen that way. DerMarr has great ability, great talent and loves to play the game. He is getting better every day, every game. So give him another year or two of exposure to the league and let's see what happens. We think he is going to be a very good player."

In Charlotte, Jamaal Magloire, the 19th pick, is filling in admirably for the injured Elden Campbell.

Magloire's 21 points and six rebounds sunk the Magic Wednesday night. Afterward, Magic coach Doc Rivers put his progress in perspective.

"As good as Campbell is, we'd rather defend him than Magloire," Rivers told the Charlotte Observer. "He's too quick for us. He's got great post moves and long arms. He finishes strong. ... But what really stands out is the effort."

The Nuggets' Donnell Harvey is finally getting some playing time and some are comparing him to a young Antonio McDyess.

"I feel it only can get better," Harvey told the Denver Post. "[Denver general manager] Kiki Vandeweghe tells me to take that [jump] shot. I work on it every day. He has given me the confidence in myself. With him motivating me and telling me to hit that shot, I feel that is paying off the most."

And then there's Lavor Postell, the 39th pick who Tuesday said he could do everything that Latrell Sprewell can do if the Knicks would just give him the playing time.

After drawing ridicule from the media and teammates all day, Postell went out and backed up his words, scoring 20 points in 22 minutes to lead the Knicks to a stunning victory over the Pistons Wednesday night.

"This is a great group of guys," Postell told the N.Y. Post. "They made fun of me and still supported me. Young fella, don't make mistakes like that because it will come back to haunt you. I made a statement. I'll never do it again. I backed it up. Hopefully it will lead to minutes and I'll take advantage of it like I did tonight."
#Knickstaps
BigSm00th
USA
3/28/2002  12:02 PM
NBA Draft Rumors: Dajuan Wagner to the Knicks?

[March 28] Memphis coach John Calipari spent more time Wednesday answering questions about Dajuan Wagner's future.

While Calipari said he had "no issue" with Wagner telling him he had to turn pro, he did seem to be laying a heavy guilt trip on his star freshman.

"A lot of it is what's right for his family," Calipari told the N.Y. Daily News. "But if he wants to do what's right for my family, he'll stay."

"He's got to continue to work on defense, to learn how to defend, and get in better shape, and raise his competitive level," Calipari told the Bergen Record. "He has to continue to learn how to catch and shoot. If you think you are driving it every time in the NBA, you'll play about 45 games a year."

While Wagner has remained silent about his intentions, there are rumors out there that he wants to play for the Knicks. Calipari seemed to confirm those Wednesday.

"His choice is, 'Do I go now because I want to play with a certain team?' " Calipari told the N.Y. Post. "If not, I'm going to be one, two or three next year." Calipari said that he might try to get assurances from the Knicks that if Wagner is available, they'll take him with their first-round pick.

That's all assuming he's available when the Knicks pick. The scouts and league executives that Insider has talked to have him projected higher, as a possible top 5 pick. Given the Knicks' record, they'll likely draft much later in the lottery, unless Scott Layden finds a way to work some magic with those ping pong balls again. . .

Virginia guard Roger Mason Jr. may test the NBA draft waters.

"Like any good young player, he's going to see what's going on," coach Pete Gillen told the Roanoke Times. "He's got to do what's best for him. We're gathering information; he's gathering information. As a talented player, he should look at it. Anything could happen. He certainly could leave. He said, 'Coach, I'm going to look at my options.' That's all he said. Some guys will look and come back, like Keith Bogans and Tayshaun Prince last year at Kentucky. Some guys will look and go."

Scouts currently project Mason to be a late first-, early second-round pick. The 6-foot-5 Mason, who averaged 18.9 ppg, 4.1 apg and 3.2 rpg, is intriguing because of his ability to play the point and his ability to shoot the three. . . .

UCLA coach Steve Lavin told the OC Register he expects Jason Kapono to return to the team next season.

"He's so close to getting his degree, breaking records and going down as a top-five scorer at UCLA," Lavin said. "I have a hunch he'll come back."
#Knickstaps
niveKelly
Member: #229
3/28/2002  9:19 PM
wow that is good I think it is amazing what you kids can find these days!
Kevin
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/29/2002  1:15 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

"When we go back and look at the players that were available at sixth, we would still take DerMarr," GM Pete Babcock told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. minutes and I'll take advantage of it like I did tonight."

LOL did you guys notice Atlanta's GM's name got censored??? This reminds me of the Michael Dickerson conversation we had earlier this year...
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/29/2002  5:05 PM
Posted by VG:
Posted by BigSm00th:

"When we go back and look at the players that were available at sixth, we would still take DerMarr," GM Pete Babcock told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. minutes and I'll take advantage of it like I did tonight."

LOL did you guys notice Atlanta's GM's name got censored??? This reminds me of the Michael Dickerson conversation we had earlier this year...

Oh man, you guys are killing me with the censore stuff ... You know how hard it is to get that right. OK, back to the books.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Whole Lot Of Insider News!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy